9 Best Baby Probiotics of 2023
- Baby probiotics are great for babies’ gut health.
- Babies as young as a few days old can start taking probiotics with the guidance of a pediatrician.
- Probiotic supplements can help babies with viral diarrhea.
- Colicky babies may especially benefit from an infant probiotic.
Nothing is more difficult than watching your new baby cry in pain or discomfort. One of the most common reasons for excessive infant crying is colic, thought to be caused by digestive issues and gas pain. Probiotics are a safe and effective way to help your child’s stomach pain caused by constipation, gas, and diarrhea.
Probiotics can also help boost immunity, improve skin conditions like eczema, and improve overall health. The best part is that probiotic supplements are safe for infants of all ages, with very few reported negative side effects.
If your baby suffers from excessive crying, discomfort from gas, constipation, diarrhea, or eczema, it is worth giving a probiotic a try. Here is our list of the 9 best baby probiotics of 2023.
Our Top Choice: Gerber Good Start Probiotic
- Comforting probiotics: these non-GMO drops feature comforting probiotics that are effective in helping reduce crying time and spit-ups, shown to provide health benefits in infants when taken daily.Easy for you and baby: it works best when given daily, mixed with breast milk or formula and can also be given on the breast or by spoon.The health and safety of your little one has been and will always be Gerber’s highest priority. We’re a leader in infant nutrition, not just because we grow food that will feed your little one, but also because we know what nourishment your little one needs
- Ease fussiness: this formula was designed to help ease colic, excessive crying & fussiness for babies, and includes 100% of the daily vitamin D they need to help to promote healthy bone development.Keep out of reach of children
- For developing tummies: probiotics contribute to a baby’s developing gut microbiota. Addressing issues such as colic, excessive crying & spit-ups, see the difference probiotics can make for your baby
- Easy for you and baby: it works best when given daily, mixed with breast milk or formula and can also be given on the breast or by spoon.
Gerber products have been around for many years, and they are one of the most popular and trusted brands for a reason. Their probiotic has been shown to decrease spitting up and colic in young babies and is safe for brand-new babies to take. The Gerber Good Start Baby Probiotic also includes the recommended dose of daily vitamin D for babies.
Gerber Good Start probiotic works well for colicky babies suffering from gas and stomach pains. Many parents find that their fussy babies become calm and content within a few days of starting to use it.
The biggest complaint about Gerber probiotics is that the dropper is difficult to use, so some of the liquid could end up spilled or wasted. If you choose to use Gerber, it may be worth investing in a different syringe or dropper tool.
Country Life Baby Probiotics
- Healthy digestion – specialized formula that supports infants’ and toddlers’ digestive health and microflora balance.
- Baby friendly – probiotic strains in an easily digested powder.
- Freshness of ingredients – Because we manufacture our own products, our products go from tested raw material, to manufactured good, to bottled and packaged products immediately so you can be assured of product potency throughout its shelf life.
- Authenticity of ingredients – We always use a pure form of each ingredient and all our ingredients are laboratory tested to ensure accurate identification so you can be assured we use real, authentic ingredients.
Country Life Baby Care Probiotic is gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, and free of any added flavors or dyes. This probiotic supplement comes in a powder that is easy to mix into formula, breastmilk, or any other drink for older babies. They contain 6 probiotic strains, mostly lactobacillus and bifidobacterium.
Be cautious and pay attention to the expiration dates on the bottles, because some parents have complained that they didn’t finish the entire bottle before it expired.
Mothers who used Country Life Baby Probiotics state that it was effective for long term diarrhea and persistent yeast infections. It also mixes easily, and many children never notice any flavor or texture from the powder being added to their drinks.
Culturelle Baby Probiotics
- FROM THE PEDIATRICIAN RECOMMENDED PROBIOTIC BRAND: Build a strong foundation for infants with Culturelle Baby Digestive Calm plus Comfort Drops formulated with Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LGG) and Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis BB 12 probiotics: Two of the most clinically studied probiotics.
- GENTLE INGREDIENTS: Contains Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LGG) and Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis BB 12 probiotics proven to help with occasional tummy troubles and help ease occasional infant colic; works naturally to reduce fussiness and crying due to occasional digestive upset; boosts digestion
- SAFE and EASY TO TAKE: Shake before use; dispense 5 drops once a day onto a spoon, into a bottle or directly into baby’s mouth while breastfeeding; replace cap with dropper; use within 60 days once opened, 1 month supply.
- INGREDIENTS YOU CAN FEEL GREAT ABOUT: Complement your baby’s healthy lifestyle with a safe, effective drug free, peanut free formula that is also sugar free, non GMO, gluten free, vegan and dairy free, working naturally with your child’s body
Cultruelle makes two types of probiotics: one specially designed for colic and another with added vitamin D. The liquid probiotics are easy to administer, since they can be either added to a drink or given directly to your baby. Culturelle Baby Grow & Thrive Drops and Culturelle Baby Digestive Calm & Comfort Probiotic are sugar-free, non-GMO, gluten-free, vegan, and dairy-free.
- FROM THE PEDIATRICIAN RECOMMENDED PROBIOTIC BRAND: Build a strong foundation for infants with Culturelle Baby Immune & Digestive Support Probiotic + Vitamin D Drops formulated with Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LGG) and Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis BB-12 probiotics: Two of the most clinically studied probiotics.
- GENTLE INGREDIENTS: Contains 100% of the daily value of Vitamin D recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG (LGG) and Bifidobacterium animalis subsp. lactis BB-12 probiotics proven to help with occasional tummy troubles
- SAFE & EASY TO TAKE: Shake before use; dispense 5 drops once a day onto a spoon, into a bottle or directly into baby’s mouth while breastfeeding; replace cap with dropper; use within 60 days once opened, 1-month supply.
- INGREDIENTS YOU CAN FEEL GREAT ABOUT: Complement your baby’s healthy lifestyle with a safe, effective drug-free, peanut-free formula that is also sugar-free, non-GMO, gluten-free, and dairy-free, working naturally with your child’s body.
These baby probiotics can help to reduce fussing, and babies often seem much more comfortable after adding probiotics to their daily routine. Since pediatricians recommend that babies take a vitamin D supplement each day, the probiotic with vitamin D is a convenient way to get both supplements at the same time.
While giving the probiotic directly to your baby is convenient, some babies may spit the liquid out and not get their entire dose. This isn’t necessarily a reflection of the product, but it could be worth it to try a few different types and see which works for you.
Mommy’s Bliss Baby Probiotic Drops
- May help to Balance Baby’s Skin*: Help from the inside out with a drop of infant probiotics that get on the good side of baby’s gut. Made with Lactobacillus rhamnosus, a clinically studied probiotic strain that may support skin health*
- Easy-to-Use: We’ve made it easy for parents to support their baby’s skin and digestion with our skin support probiotic. The included dropper can be administered directly into infant’s mouth, by spoon, or mixed into breastmilk or formula
- Pair our baby probiotics with Mommy’s Bliss Baby Eczema Ease Daily Moisturizer and Spot Treatment for a complete skin support system designed to balance, protect and relieve your little one’s gentle skin
- Non-GMO , No Added Sugar, No Alcohol, No Artificial Flavors or Colors, and Free of Top 8 Allergens: We believe simpler is better. That means in everything we make, we include only what you or your child needs and never anything they don’t
Mommy’s Bliss Baby Probiotic Drops have a simple formula containing just lactobacillus and sunflower oil. Their baby probiotic is flavorless and easy to mix into a drink or give directly with a syringe.
This probiotic is often claimed to be one of the best probiotics for clearing up baby acne and eczema. Many mothers who have tried creams and other at-home remedies to clear their babies’ skin have had success with Mommy’s Bliss Probiotic drops.
The bottle comes with a dropper, but you may want to purchase a different syringe to administer drops to your child. The dropper is sometimes difficult to wash and frequently gets clogged up by the thick probiotic.
Garden of Life Raw Probiotics for Kids
- PREBIOTICS TO FEED GOOD BACTERIA: This probiotic and prebiotic supplement contains a Prebiotic Blend of 23 Organic and Raw Fruits and Veggies including Banana and Strawberry—plus inulin, a prebiotic that supports the growth of good bacteria in the gut
- WHOLE FOOD PROBIOTIC FOR BABIES AND KIDS: This convenient powdered probiotic is easy to use, simply mix in breast milk, water, infant formula, milk, juice or any soft food (use up to 3/4 teaspoon daily or as directed by your child’s pediatrician)
- PROBIOTIC POTENCY GUARANTEED THROUGH EXPIRATION: We begin with high levels of probiotics to ensure viability, even if the product is warm for a few days during shipment—especially during summer or in warmer climates; simply refrigerate upon receipt
- ONCE DAILY POWDERED PROBIOTIC: This one-a-day powder for children’s digestive health is Third-Party Certified USDA Organic, Non-GMO, NSF Gluten Free, Vegan and Sugar Free—with no filler ingredients, artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners or preservatives
Garden of Life makes a wide range of products, from protein powder to multivitamins to probiotics. Their Garden of Life Raw Probiotics for Kids are a blend of vegetable and fruit powders in addition to the probiotic powder. The baby probiotics come in a banana flavor, but do not have any added sugar.
Garden of Life Probiotics must be refrigerated, so you need to ensure that your product is shipped quickly and immediately placed somewhere cold when it’s delivered.
These probiotics work well for diarrhea and constipation, helping babies and children with their overall digestive health. The flavor can be hit or miss depending on your child. Just like any food and drink, some children enjoy the flavor while others do not. This one is also a powder, so it takes some time to mix and dissolve.
Mary Ruth’s Probiotics
Mary Ruth’s probiotic for infants are certified USDA organic, vegan, non-GMO, dairy free, nut free, gluten & wheat free, soy free, corn free, and sugar free. They have several strains of bifidobacterium and one strain of lactobacillus, both important gut bacteria.
Mary Ruth’s Liquid Probiotic is recommended for babies ages 6–12 months old. It works well for babies’ stomach issues, and that is easy to add to drinks or take directly from the dropper. Children who have refused other probiotics may Mary Ruth’s probiotic, since there’s no detectable flavor in the liquid.
While the flavorless liquid is easy for kids to swallow, some parents feel that the needed dose seems large for their small infants.
BioGaia Protectis Baby Probiotic Drops
- THE ORIGINAL BABY PROBIOTIC DROP: BioGaia Protectis baby drops are the original baby probiotic drops for colic & digestive comfort*
- NEWBORNS +: Just 5 drops, once daily, provides the exclusive probiotic L. reuteri Protectis
- THE MOST CLINICALLY STUDIED PROBIOTIC FOR COLIC: Shown to reduce crying & fussing in colicky babies*
- RELIEVES BABIES’ COMMON DIGESTIVE DISCOMFORT: Ease colic, spit-ups, and occasional constipation & diarrhea*
BioGaia Protectis Baby Probiotic Drops probiotic drops can be used from the day your baby is born. These drops are made from non-GMO sunflower oil and lactobacillus. Biogaia states that adding their probiotic can improve symptoms of colic after 7 days of use.
Mothers of both breastfed and bottle-fed babies who have used this product often see improvements in their babies’ constipation, gas, colic, and sleep. Many babies won’t notice a taste, but adding these probiotics into bottles can clog the nipple.
Zarbee’s Baby Probiotic Drops
- BABY PROBIOTICS SUPPORTS GUT HEALTH*: Contain two probiotic strains – Bifidobacterium breve BR03 and Bifidobacterium breve BR632 – to help support natural digestive balance; ease occasional tummy discomfort in babies* and support a healthy immune system.*
- Daily Digestive & Immune Support*: Our unflavored; probiotic drops are safe & effective for daily use; formulated for infants 0 months+. It supports the immune system and may help reduce crying time and discomfort associated with colic & occasional gas.*
- TASTELESS & EASILY MIXABLE: Comes with a dropper for easy & accurate dosing; give directly with a spoon or easily add drops to breast milk or infant formula.
- INGREDIENTS INSPIRED BY NATURE: Our baby probiotics are made from carefully selected ingredients inspired by nature – free of drugs; alcohol; artificial sweeteners; added flavors or dyes; high fructose corn syrup; or gluten.
Zarbee’s Baby Probiotic Drops product contains two strains of probiotic: bifidobacterium breve BR03 and bifidobacterium breve BR632. These two probiotics can help with gut motility, gas, and supporting a healthy immune system.
This probiotic is highly rated by parents and easily found both online and in most large chain stores. Many parents who use Zarbee’s probiotic drops state that their babies tolerate the flavor and that they’ve seen improvements in their babies gas, colic, and fussiness within a few days of starting.
Some users have complained that the Zarbee’s probiotic did not ship with a syringe included.
Lovebug Organic Probiotic for Infants
- FORMULATED FOR AGES 0 – 6 MONTH. Newborn babies have unique needs. Colic, diarrhea, eczema, constipation, digestive upset and weakened immune systems are just a few of the issues driven by probiotic-related deficiencies. Target these with 3 clinically studied newborn-specific strains.
- SUGAR FREE & ALLERGEN FREE. Make sure that the benefits of a multi-strain clinically studied probiotic aren’t cancelled out before they even reach your infant’s tummy. Probiotics have to be sugar free and allergen free.
- EASY-TO-USE TASTELESS POWDER. A tasteless powder that can be mixed into expressed milk. LoveBug Infant Probiotics are also free of artificial flavors and colors. INDIVIDUAL STICK PACKS. Give your baby the exact right serving of probiotics every day with pre-portioned stick packs – 1 Billion CFU of clinically studied strains LGG and B Infantis.
- AWARD WINNING. Lovebug is the proud recipient of the Gold Medal Mom’s Choice Award, the Eco-Excellence Award, and various widely recognized “Product of the Year” accolades. These awards recognize Lovebug’s commitment to not only quality and purity, but also crafting products that meet the unique needs of toddlers and young children.
Lovebug Organic Probiotic for Infants is certified organic and contains both lactobacillus and bifidobacterium. Their powder probiotic is free of dyes, flavors, sugars, and allergens. Each dose comes in and individual package, so you don’t have to worry about measuring the right dose every time.
Parents who use LoveBug have had great results for both their newborn babies and older children. The probiotic strains in Lovebug are good for gassiness, constipation, excessive spitting up, and immune system support.
Since the product comes in a powder, it has to be mixed in a bottle to be administered. Keep in mind that, although the product is supposed to be flavorless, it does change the taste of the liquid it is mixed with.
If you choose to give your baby a daily probiotic, you will need to make sure you are storing and administering the supplement correctly.
One of the biggest complaints about most of the liquid probiotics was that the dropper syringes are inconvenient to use and difficult to clean. Instead of using the dropper syringes that come with the bottle you buy, you can buy syringes that are easier to measure with and more convenient to clean.
If you use a separate syringe, make sure you double-check the dosage to ensure you are using the correct amount of liquid every time.
Probiotic Storage Containers
- Versatile Storage Lockers: Our storage lockbox can protect your items from naughty kids or help you concentrate on what you’re doing keeping you away from temptation. You can place the box in your home, kitchen, refrigerator, office, school, college campuse and more.
- Large Capacity: These lockable boxes are large enough to secure your personal items. You can store lots of things you want in these boxes. External Size: 11.9 x 9.3 x 7.6 inches
- Wide Applications: You can use the locking box to store kids toys games, your medicine, cosmetic, dangerous tools like knife scissors lighters matches to keep your kids pets away from danger and temptation. You can also store foods drinks like candy chocolate chips soda while you’re losing weight, or store tablet phones while working.
- Holes Design: Our locked storage bin features with 3 digit combination code and 4 holes, which allows fresh air for your food or items and the place to pull the cable out to charge your phone or tablet.
You may want to purchase special containers for your child’s probiotics, especially for those that need to be kept in the fridge. You can even purchase a locking medication container to keep your refrigerated supplements and medications away from the rest of your food.
Medication Tracking App
Remembering to take your own vitamins and medications can be a challenge. Adding a new baby can make it even tougher to remember. On top of that, remembering to give your baby their daily probiotic adds another challenge to your day full of diapers and laundry.
Using a medication tracking app like FamilyHQ can make keeping track of everything a little easier.
Baby Probiotics: What You Need to Know
While there are no official recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics about when to start giving your baby probiotics, probiotic drops are generally regarded as safe for newborn babies as young as a few weeks old.
Infant probiotics are sold for babies ages 0–12 months, and you should be sure to follow the instructions and age recommendations on whatever brand of probiotics you purchase. Speak to your child’s pediatrician about giving probiotics to your new baby.
Types of Baby Probiotics
Just like there are different strains of bacteria, there are different probiotic strains and prebiotics. Some of the core probiotics include:
Most probiotic supplements have some kind of combination of several of these different strains. Each has its own benefits and can help balance your baby’s gut health.
Reasons Why Baby Probiotics Are Good for Infants
Probiotic supplements have many health benefits for adults and babies. Taking probiotics can help balance the gut microbiome, helping good bacteria flourish and bad bacteria die off.
Improved Gut Health
Studies conducted in 2022 revealed that taking probiotics was an effective treatment for irritable bowel syndrome and the diarrhea associated with it. Probiotics have been shown to slow transit time in the colon, reducing diarrhea and allowing for more nutrients and water to be absorbed through the gastrointestinal tract.
Treatment for Diarrhea
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, babies who have viral diarrhea can benefit from taking probiotic supplements. The strain lactobacillus rhamnosus GG is most effective for the treatment of viral diarrhea. In one study, babies who took infant probiotics had improvement in diarrhea symptoms one day earlier than babies who did not use them.
Unfortunately, baby probiotics have not been proven to be effective for antibiotic associated diarrhea.
Boosts your Baby’s Immune System
Giving your baby a daily probiotic can also help maintain a healthy digestive system by giving their immune system a boost. The good bacteria in a probiotic supplement help fight off bad bacteria and can keep your baby from getting gastroenteritis or diarrhea.
May Help Improve a Baby’s Colic
Colic is one of the most frustrating newborn conditions to deal with. A colicky baby seems to cry constantly, and moms often feel like there is nothing they can do to help. Up to 28% of babies are diagnosed with colic, and many providers simply recommend waiting until they outgrow the condition.
The Journal of Family Practice gives parents of colicky babies hope. They state that a daily probiotic can help reduce infant crying with no negative side effects.
Decrease Acid Reflux Symptoms
The Journal of Neurogastroenterology and Motility studied the affects of a probiotic administered to children with acid reflux symptoms. The study found that children who took probiotic supplements in addition to prescription medication had significantly less acid reflux than children who took a prescription alone.
Improves Health of Formula-Fed Babies
In one study conducted by the Department of Food Scientists in the UK, researchers found that breast milk contained many beneficial bacteria that was passed to breastfed babies. These bacteria helped balance the gut microbiome and are partially responsible for the health benefits of breastmilk.
Adding a probiotic supplement to a formula-based diet can help your baby’s gut flora to have a better balance of healthy bacteria.
Do you need to store baby probiotics in the refrigerator?
Most baby probiotics must be stored in the refrigerator. If you have a baby probiotic shipped to your home, make sure that you get it somewhere cool and dry as quickly as you can.
Some baby probiotics are shipped with higher than necessary probiotic concentrations in case some are destroyed during the shipping process. Others ship their probiotics with ice or a cold pack to ensure freshness. Make sure you read the manufacturer’s label to ensure that you store your probiotic supplements correctly.
How often should you give probiotics to babies?
Infants and childrens can take a probiotic supplement once each day. You can continue giving your child a probiotic supplement for the rest of their life.
Does breast milk have probiotics?
If you breastfeed your baby, you pass both probiotics and prebiotics to them through your breastmilk. This is one of the benefits of breastmilk for infants and babies. Even though breast milk contains many probiotics, some breastfed babies still benefit from taking and additional probiotic supplement.
What is the difference between a prebiotic and a probiotic?
A probiotic is an actual strain of living bacteria that helps keep your gut flora healthy and balanced. Prebiotics are plant fibers that give support to the probiotic bacteria.
Can I give my baby adult probiotics?
Just like with most other products, you should not give adult probiotics to children. The strains and doses of probiotics may be different in adult formulas; they may not be safe for young babies and children.
The information WonderBaby provides is not intended to be, and does not constitute, medical or other health advice or diagnosis and should not be used as such. Always consult with a qualified medical professional about your specific circumstances.
Braille and Literacy, Product Reviews, Visual Impairment
Dana Meachen Rau's book, Sense of Play, follows the adventures of Chip and Joy as they play. Chip is blind, but this doesn't get in the way of their play!
Wondering whether white noise will help your little one sleep better? Here’s our guide to the best baby sound machines to help your baby fall asleep soundly.
Heard a lot about weighted blankets and lap pads and wondering how to choose one? Here’s our guide to the ins and outs of finding the right weighted blanket.