The 8 Best Blackout Curtains for Your Nursery of 2023
- Blackout curtains are made of materials that block natural and artificial light to keep your baby’s nursery dark for better sleep.
- Some parents find that blackout curtains or blinds help their baby sleep for more extended periods and wake less.
- Not all babies will need blackout blinds, but they are worth trying if your baby has trouble getting to sleep, staying asleep, or is waking very early.
- Safe installation and cordless curtains or blinds that are not within your baby’s reach are all essential considerations when using blackout window treatments.
If your baby or toddler has trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep or if they wake very early with the sun, blackout curtains or blinds may be just the thing you need for everyone in the family to get some better rest.
Not all babies and toddlers are affected by artificial light coming in from the street at night or early morning sunshine. However, removing unnecessary light sources can do wonders if your child has started waking at sunrise or is having trouble getting down at bedtime.
Blackout curtains and blinds come in a huge array of styles and colors to suit any decor, so you don’t have to worry about ruining your nursery design. Finding the right one is easy. Just check out our guide to the best blackout curtains for your nursery of 2023.
Our Choice: Nicetown 100% Blackout Window Curtain Panels
- Ready Made: 2 panels per package. Each Classic Lined Curtain measures 52″ wide x 84″ long (Total width is 104″). The unique design of the silver grommet (1.6 inch inner diameter) creates casual elegance for your house, which makes the curtains easy to install and slide.
- Blackout Effect: The real blackout curtains on the market. Sew in black liner backing makes the drapes thick enough to completely keep out the sunlight and uv ray. The benefit is to offer you a real dark environment, bringing you a good night’s sleep during the day.
- Noise Reducing: Heavyweight Blackout Lined Curtain Panels can be a good sense of drape, making the window completely closed, to cut noise down. The effect of absorbing sound is 2 times higher than the ordinary 1 layer of curtains so that at any time you are not disturbed by noise.
- Unique Design: Draperies constructed with 2 layers are all triple weave blackout fabric, balancing room temperature by insulating against summer heat and winter chill meanwhile protect privacy. No chemical coating, no formaldehyde, bring harmony to your family.
Finding nursery blackout curtains can be tricky. Windows can be so many different shapes and sizes, not to mention finding something that matches your nursery theme.
Enter the Nicetown 100% Blackout Window Curtain Panels, which come in so many different lengths and widths; you’ll definitely find the right-sized panels for your windows. In addition, there are a ton of colors to choose from to match any child’s bedroom.
Nicetown curtains not only do their job as room-darkening curtains but also reduce outside noise. They’re also made of triple-weave fabric, so they balance your nursery temperature, keeping it cool in summer and reducing your energy bills in winter.
Overall, the variety of sizes and colors and their blackout qualities make these Nicetown curtains an ideal choice for your baby’s room.
Best At Reducing Light and Noise: Pottery Barn Kids Broken Arrows Cotton Blackout Curtain Panel
The Broken Arrows Printed Blackout Curtain from Pottery Barn Kids is a great addition to any child’s bedroom. The curtain features a bold and colorful arrow pattern that adds a fun and playful touch to the room. The blackout lining provides excellent light- and noise-blocking capabilities, ensuring your child can sleep comfortably even during daylight hours. The curtain is easy to hang and maintain, with a rod pocket that fits most standard curtain rods and machine-washable fabric. The quality of the material is top-notch, ensuring that the curtain will last for years to come.
Overall, the Pottery Barn Kids Blackout Curtain is a great choice for parents looking to add both style and function to their child’s room. With its fun pattern, high-quality construction, and excellent light-blocking capabilities, this curtain will surely be a hit for parents and children alike. It’s a bit on the pricey side, but considering the quality and durability, it’s worth the investment.
Best Insulated Blackout Curtains: Easy-Going Blackout Curtains
- Design Features: Designed with foil star pattern. Cute, simple and generous patterns are deeply loved by children.
- Product Function: Our kids curtains can block out 70%-90% sunlight and UV ray. And the thermal insulted curtains help to save energy, which keep your room cool in summer while warm in winter which is good for afternoon naps.
- Highly Recommend: This Easy-Going star curtain with exquisite workmanship is perfect for shading. They also help reduce noise which are suitable for bedroom, kids room and nursery.
- Package Includes: Package contains 2 panels, each panel measures width 52 inch by length 84 inch with 8 silver metal grommets on top, which is easy to hang and slides smoothly. 5 colors and 3 sizes for you to choose.
These Easy-Going Blackout Curtains don’t just block out light; they also reduce noise and save energy.
These insulated, thermal, room-darkening curtains keep your room cool in summer and warm in winter, helping to reduce your energy bills and keep your baby’s room comfortable.
They come in various sizes and solid colors to match any room, but we thought this lovely foil star pattern would make a great addition to any nursery.
Best Portable Blackout Curtain: Lime Portable 100% Blackout Curtain
- Fits Any Window Size 52″ x 78″
- 100% Premium Woven Yarn
- Assembles In 30 Seconds
- INCLUDES – Carrying Case, 12 Suction Cups, 100% Woven Blackout Curtain
If you know your kids can’t sleep well when you’re on the go, whether you’re staying at grandma’s or in a hotel on vacation, the Lime Portable 100% Blackout Curtain is the answer.
This portable curtain is easy to put up with suction cups that really stick. The size can be adjusted to fit any window with its velcro fastenings.
Compared to some blackout curtains, these are expensive, probably because they are made of soft, premium, woven yarn rather than other materials which can feel like plastic.
However, if your child struggles with sleep when you’re traveling and needs the room dark, the Lime Portable Blackout Curtain may well be worth the investment.
Note that these curtains should not be used within reach of your baby or toddler. As these are put up with suction cups and velcro, it’s best not to leave your child where they can pull at them.
Best Blackout Shades: Persilux Custom 100% Blackout Cordless Roller Shades
- 【Excellent Material】Made of polyester fabric coated with 100% blackout white backing that have been under rigorously quality tested. It can block out 100% sunlight and UV rays. The thermal backing balances the temperature, maintaining the indoor temperature during the summer and keeping warm in winter, which helps you cut energy bills. It also works well in noise reducing.
- 【Safety Cordless Design】The best safety solution for your children and pets. You can set at any desired position to get different level of privacy. Stainless steal bottom rod has hang down and hidden screws design in the valance looks simple and elegant. The mechanism has a smooth and steady roll-up speed adjusting your shades up and down silently.
- 【Multiple Situation】Simple and reliable design for most decorative styles and usage scenarios.It applies in most daily scenarios. Bedroom, study room, kitchen, living room, kids’ room, or office, pick one for your all-season needs.
- 【How to choose a correct size to fit? Example your window meas 23″ width x less than 72″ Height.】INSIDE MOUNT: Window Width is Blind width. Blind Width=23″; Blind Height=72″. OUTSIDE MOUNT: Plus at least 4″ is blind width, blind width=23″+4″=27″; Shade Height=72″.【Pls Note】Fabric width will be 0.8″ narrower than the size of the blind.
If curtains are not the look you’re going for, blackout shades are a sleeker, more modern option.
The Persilux Custom 100% Blackout Cordless Roller Shades fit inside the window frame and do a great job blocking bright lights and harmful UV rays.
These roller shades come in many sizes to fit your windows, but they can also be customized to get an exact fit.
On the downside, these blinds are only available in neutral shades. If you want a different look for your child’s nursery, you can always use these window shades in addition to fun curtains that match your child’s nursery theme.
Best Contemporary Design: Deconovo Blackout Curtains
- BASIC INFORMATION – Package contains 2 panels. Silver grommet on each panel
- DESIGN and TEXTURE – This constellation pattern blackout curtain features a smooth and elegant fabric with a silky touch and a beautiful drape that bring charm and modernity to your home
- FUNCTION CURTAINS – These thermal insulated curtains block out sunlight, balance temperature by insulating against heat and reduce outside noise
- CARE INSTRUCTIONS – Hand wash, wash below 86°F, gentle cycle. This pair of blackout drapes is ideal for bedroom, living room, baby, kids’ nursery, kitchen, gaming rooms, school playroom
If you’re going for a contemporary look in your child’s bedroom, these Deconovo Blackout Curtains will suit your style and budget.
Available in many different lengths and widths, these blackout curtains do a great job blocking out light for optimal sleep, and they do it stylishly. Deconovo has some cool, modern geometric, metallic, and minimalist floral prints for a contemporary nursery feel.
These also help with noise reduction and balancing room temperature.
They come in packs of two panels at a very attractive price compared to other designer curtains.
Best Temporary Blackout Solution: Redi Shade Pleated Paper Shades
- Trim at home for the perfect fit inside or outside your window frame, then install in seconds without a drill, screws, or brackets — No Tools needed
- Block 99% of light for complete privacy, light control and UV protection for bedrooms, children’s rooms and movie rooms
- No cords for a clean look and child safety — use included clips to raise and lower shade
- Made of durable paper that will not yellow or crack from sun exposure
Window treatments can be very pricey. If you’re unsure about investing in blackout curtains, or if you’ve already paid a lot for your existing window treatments and are considering adding a blackout window liner, give these Redi Shade No Tools Original Blackout Pleated Paper Shades a try.
These temporary pleated shades are inexpensive and come in packs of six. They’re super easy to install in seconds with no drills or tools necessary. They can also be cut to size easily. In addition, they’re safe to use and cordless.
So if you’re on the go and forgot your travel shade, or if you want to see if blackout curtains will make a difference in your child’s sleep, try this quick-fix pleated shade.
Best Curtain with Blackout Liner: Driftaway Olivia Pinch Pleated Voile Chiffon Curtain
- PACKAGE INCLUDES: Only one panel. Made by 100% Polyester, Exclusive of Decoration, Imported.
- FACE: pleated pom pom ruffle sheer; LINING: lined with Triple Weave Blackout/Room Darkening/Thermal Fabric.
- UPGRADED VERSION & SERVE WELL: This elegant sheer pinch pleated curtain, with its practical back lining and soft material, updates the look of your window in an instant way. It is extremely versatile and will liven up any home décor. Hang it in your bedroom, living room, dining room, kitchen, or any room that needs that perfect finishing touch.
- SIZE & HEADER TYPE: 52“Wx84″L. Extremely strong silver metal grommets slides easily onto your curtain rod for quick installation. There are 8 grommets in the window treatment header of each panel. Outside diameter of each eyelet is 5.8cm (2.3”) and inside diameter of that is 4cm (1.6”), which perfectly accommodate up to 1.5” curtain rod.
You might have a particular look in mind for your baby’s nursery, and plain, heavy blackout curtains aren’t fitting the bill.
In that case, take a look at this beautiful Driftaway Olivia Pinch Pleated Voile Chiffon Sheer Blackout Curtain Liner. This clever blackout curtain has a lovely, airy, embroidered sheer chiffon curtain that overlays a triple weave blackout curtain liner.
You can move the liner aside when you want the look of light coming through a sheer curtain. Then, when it’s bedtime, simply pull the liner across. A good solution if you’re looking for something airy and light.
Why Are Blackout Curtains Good for a Nursery?
Figuring out the blackout curtain options for your room and your baby’s room is a good thing to put on the list of things to do before baby arrives because sleep will be everyone’s priority.
Blackout shades, curtains, or blinds are good for a nursery because they block out artificial light from a busy street or houses outside that might distract your baby from getting to sleep. They also block out the sun to help prevent early waking and help your baby sleep longer.
Blackout window treatments also make the nursery environment feel calm and cosy. Drawing them and darkening the room can be a part of your bedtime routine, along with dressing your baby for sleep, and can help your baby to wind down.
Light does not affect all babies the same way. Some babies may sleep well without nursery blackout curtains. However, if your baby or toddler has sleeping issues, blackout nursery curtains may do wonders for their sleep and yours!
Blackout Curtains For Travel
Be aware, though, that once you start using blackout shades or curtains, your child will grow accustomed to sleeping in a very dark room. When you visit relatives or stay in a hotel room on vacation, your child may be restless or have trouble with bedtime without light-blocking window shades.
Luckily, many travel blackout curtains on the market are easy to pack and adjust to almost any window. These are worth the investment so everyone can still get a good night’s sleep even when you’re far from home.
How to Choose the Best Blackout Curtains for Your Nursery
There are a few things to consider when you’re choosing the perfect blackout curtains for your nursery.
|Ease of Installation|
|How the Curtains Attach|
Curtain and Blind Safety
Curtains and blinds with cords can pose strangulation, choking, or other hazards if not installed and used correctly. Consider the following to ensure your child’s safety:
- Choose cordless window treatments or window treatments with breakaway cords.
- If you have window treatments with cords, always ensure they’re secured high up and out of your child’s reach.
- Avoid floor-length drapes that can be pulled down by crawling and toddling babies.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions for safe and secure installation.
- Make sure that curtain rods, blinds, and mounts are the correct size for your window.
- Avoid draperies with embellishments, beading, or decorations that can be pulled off and present a choking hazard.
- When using blinds or roller shades, look for slow-rise models that won’t snap up if little hands pull on them.
- Use the appropriate screws and drywall mounts that are strong enough to hold your drapery when installing curtain rods and shades.
- Position your child’s crib or bed well away from window treatments.
- Do not use spring-loaded tension curtain rods, which can collapse easily; use curtain rods that mount to the wall.
Braille and Literacy, Product Reviews, Visual Impairment
Dana Meachen Rau's book, Sense of Play, follows the adventures of Chip and Joy as they play. Chip is blind, but this doesn't get in the way of their play!
Wondering whether white noise will help your little one sleep better? Here’s our guide to the best baby sound machines to help your baby fall asleep soundly.
Heard a lot about weighted blankets and lap pads and wondering how to choose one? Here’s our guide to the ins and outs of finding the right weighted blanket.