7 Best High Chairs for Baby-Led Weaning in 2023
- A great high chair helps baby-led weaning to be a success.
- There are a few accessories for high chairs that are worth considering.
- Using high chairs for baby-led weaning has its own set of benefits.
- Consider comfort, safety, table fit, and ease of cleaning before purchasing.
The start of baby-led weaning can be an exciting time for babies and parents alike. As your child tries solid foods, they gain some independence, and let’s be honest, so do you!
I’ll always remember sitting my oldest in her high chair; I could see the light bulb come on. She’d happily sit there in anticipation, ready for everything that came her way.
For baby-led weaning—or any feeding, for that matter—to be a success, your little one has to be comfortable and able to reach their food easily. That’s why it’s critical you choose a quality high chair for the baby-led weaning process. In my search for their high chairs, I quickly found they’re not all created equal, especially not for baby-led weaning.
If you’re on the hunt for the best high chair for baby-led weaning, we’ve got you covered! From adjustable footrests to high chairs that change into booster seats to ones that fit on a regular dining room chair, there are limitless options to fit your needs. Stick around to discover the 7 best high chairs for baby-led weaning in 2023.
Our Choice: Graco Blossom 6-in-1 Convertible High Chair
- 6 growing stages from Infant Highchair to Seating 2 Kids at Once
- Stage 1: Infant Highchair with 3-position recline for baby’s comfort
- Stage 2: Full-Size Highchair with a machine-washable seat pad
- Stage 3: Infant Booster brings baby right up to the table by attaching to a dining room chair
You’ll find it hard to come across a high chair that beats the Graco 6-in-1 Convertible High Chair. Converting as your child grows, it starts as an infant high chair, transforms into a toddler chair, and then can be used as a youth chair in its final stage. It’s especially easy to clean with a removable tray insert and machine washable seat pad.
Its adjustability is particularly impressive, with 6 heights allowing your little one to fit at any table. The adjustable foot rest and adjustable seat make for a customized seat throughout your child’s growth. With front-locking wheels, you can rest assured your child is safe for each and every meal!
It’s tough to find many complaints with this high chair—they’ve really thought of everything! Even so, parents do have a few concerns. Namely, its size and maneuverability. Though expected with a chair that’s got all the bells and whistles, it’s surely something to consider.
Material: Polyester | Maximum Weight Recommendation: 60 pounds | Dimensions: 29 x 22.5 x 41 inches
View on Amazon | View on Walmart.com | View on Target.com
Best for Table Use: Chicco Pocket Snack Seat
- Quick set-up; easy and compact fold
- Sturdy metal legs adjust to three height positions
- Removable tray adjusts to three positions
- Three-point harness
While it’s not a traditional high chair in the sense that it sits on the floor, the Chicco Pocket Snack Seat is still a great option. I have two of these seats for my kids, and although they’re pretty basic, they get the job done! Securing via straps to a chair, they fit at most tables as the chair can adjust to 3 heights.
Its folding mechanism makes it super easy to store when we have company, and the lack of tiny crevices on the tray makes for an effortless clean. I would agree with some reviewers in saying the tray could use some work; it’s a tight squeeze for my thick-thighed baby, and the tray is harder to snap in on occasion.
Material: Metal | Maximum Weight Recommendation: 50 pounds | Dimensions: 15 x 13.5 x 19.25 inches
View on Amazon | View on Walmart.com | View on Target.com
Best for Small Floor Spaces: Graco Slim Snacker High Chair
- Fast folding high chair, with a one-hand, one-second fold
- Ultra-slim folding high chair is designed to fit in compact spaces
- Fold it and forget it, thanks to the self-standing fold
- Seat pad is wipeable for easy cleanups licate cycle no bleach and drip dry
Another high chair my babies have used, the Graco Slim Snacker High Chair does get major points for fitting in narrow spaces by the table. The cupholder on the tray has come in handy, as has the storage basket, which keeps bibs and floor mats nearby. The reclining and seat pad create a comfortable eating experience.
Unfortunately, I can attest to the cons that make the list. The number one issue with this chair is it’s tough to clean. Between the basket that doesn’t detach, the tray that’s so large it doesn’t fit in the sink, and the cracks on the chair hinges that catch every crumb, it’s not ideal. It’s also not as easy to fold as it claims to be.
Material: Polyester | Maximum Weight Recommendation: 40 pounds | Dimensions: 24 x 35.5 x 40.8 inches
View on Amazon | View on Walmart.com | View on GracoBaby.com
Best for the Environment: Abiie Beyond Wooden High Chair
- EZ-Seat: The High chair can be transformed to any height position to use as a Toddlers chair or as a traditional dining chair for all ages, all within less than 20 seconds! It’s economical and instantly provides an extra chair to your home when needed. No tools needed for adjustment.
- Safety: Heat Sterilization. The High Chair wood went through a state-of-the-art pressure-assisted high-temperature sterilization at 248 °F (120 ° C) ensures a hygienic environment for your child.
- Dual Restraint System: The restraint system can be adjusted for a 5-point harness or a 3-point harness, keeping your loved one secure and comfortable.
- Ease of Cleaning: The chair is designed with several easy access points for parents to clean up. The stain-resistant cushions make cleaning a breeze. Just a quick wipe with a damp cloth will remove any mess or dirt left by your child. The cushion is waterproof so unexpected spills aren’t absorbed. The one-hand removable tray cover is dishwasher safe.
The Abiie Beyond Wooden High Chair is a great choice if you’re looking for a more environmentally-friendly chair. Constructed of natural wood, its modern high chair look and color combinations will fit any aesthetic. Adjusting to any height, it offers ergonomic support allowing the knees to stay at 90 degrees with their back straight.
There were some concerns with the chair, though, the tray being one of them. Many parents said it was hard to remove with one hand, much less two. A handful of reviewers have also said it can damage the flooring if you’re moving it around a lot. Last, the straps are a tedious clean, with many parents saying they just removed them altogether.
Material: Wood | Maximum Weight Recommendation: 250 pounds| Dimensions: 21 x 17.6 x 34.5 inches
View on Amazon | View on Walmart.com | View on Abiie.com
Best for Any Scenario: Inglesina Fast Table Chair
- LEAVES NO TRACE: Design ingenuity makes it so that our table top high chair for baby leaves no damages or scratches when eating at restaurants or home. Attach it to most dining tables up to 3.5 inches thick worry free! It’s attachable functionality makes it easy to clip on to any dinner table.
- PORTABLE & COLLAPSIBLE: Complete with an integrated travel-friendly carry bag and folding capacity, the Fast Table Chair is easy to pack and always within reach for feeding your baby with ease.
- EASY TO CLEAN: Our tall table chair is ideal for babies & toddlers between 6 and 36 months, and up to 37 pounds. The durable & washable materials ensure this product will serve for years.
- HANDY STORAGE POCKET AND CARRY BAG INCLUDED: The functional design includes a convenient storage pocket to ensure immediate access to wipes, toys, snacks and more. A convenient carry bag is located and stored underneath the seat for easier portability.
A newer concept on the scene, the Inglesina Fast Table Chair is a fan favorite among hanging high chairs. Its lightweight and collapsible design makes moving from one table to another trouble-free. Fitting on nearly any table, it doesn’t leave behind any damage. Parents also love the storage pocket on the back, which is perfect for wipes!
For some parents, safety is a concern with this chair as their babies have been able to manipulate the straps off. The tightening arms that keep the chair attached to the tabletop have also been known to strip if you move the chair a lot. With absorbent, hard-to-clean material, this chair’s got some concerns worth looking into.
Material: Polyvinyl Chloride | Maximum Weight Recommendation: 37 pounds | Dimensions: 17 x 14 x 11 inches
View on Amazon | View on Walmart.com | View on Sears.com
Best for Portability: Liuliuby Fabric Baby Portable High Chair
- 【 CONVENIENT 】Turn a regular chair into a high chair in the snap of a finger! Easy to use, lightweight and compact. Perfect for on the go. Velcro closure strap for quick access
- 【 FOR BABIES AND TODDLERS 】3 height adjustable harness straps for children 6 months and up. Child must be able to sit up unassisted. Additional side loops at waist provide extra security for smaller babies
- 【 STAYS PUT 】Anti-slip pads along the top seat strap prevents it from sliding/shifting on the chair back. The top closure strap comes with loops allowing for the chair straps to be looped through in the back
- 【 COMFORTABLE 】Padded with cushioning for baby’s extra comfort. Harness straps made from soft fabric to protect baby’s neck. Durable and machine washable
If you’re searching for a high chair to travel with, the Liuliuby Fabric Baby Portable High Chair is exactly what you need. It fits nearly any chair, making it ideal for family trips. Made with adjustable height straps and soft harnesses, your baby can sit with ease. You can also throw the entire thing in the washing machine!
While it’s the best option for traveling, the number of straps can be overwhelming when it comes time to set up. Some parents also noted that their babies felt kind of constricted by the amount of straps. Though it is height adjustable, it might not be high enough for every baby to reach the tabletop.
Material: Polyester | Maximum Weight Recommendation: 33 pounds | Dimensions: 11.1 x 3.39 x 3.11 inches
View on Amazon | View on Ebay.com
Best for Theme: Infantino 4-in-1 High Chair
- 4 products in one: Highchair, multi-stage booster & toddler chair; dishwasher safe meal mat, easy-wipe down tray and seat with non-fabric, easy-to-wipe-clean foam with 2 front wheels for easy movement
- 2 position recline highchair: For supporting infants six months and older for feeding and upright support for stable toddlers
- 2-stage booster: For secured use on chair with tray for smaller babies and without for at-the-table use for older babies/toddlers; small enough to travel with as a space-saving feeding booster
- Bonus meal mat insert: Dishwasher-safe, mat with food compartments and easy to wipe down chair for reduced mess; strong, no-wobble design and foot rest for more comfortable sitting for older babies
Even the highest chair-weary baby won’t be able to resist the fun theme of the Infantino 4-in-1 High Chair. Made with separate food compartments and dishwasher safe material, the removable tray is one of the highlights of this chair.
Soft foam padding makes the chair comfortable and easier to clean than those made with cloth cushions. It also includes adjustable legs and can be converted into a booster seat, so it will grow with your child.
Despite the fun theme, the design itself doesn’t hold up well to daily cleaning. Reviewers have also noted that the chair legs are extra wide, making them easy to trip on. The straps leave much to be desired in the way of safety as they’re known to slip out of the holes, so it’s not great for babies who try to escape their chairs regularly.
Material: Foam | Maximum Weight Recommendation: 45 pounds | Dimensions: 16.14 x 14.96 x 18.9 inches
View on Amazon | View on Walmart.com | View on Target.com
While they’re not required for your high chair or for baby-led weaning, these recommended accessories can come in handy!
- High Chair Floor Mat: A floor mat is especially helpful for catching all the flying food that lands on the floor or under the high chair.
- High Chair Cushion: If your chair didn’t come with padding, a high chair cushion could make your baby more comfortable.
- Silicone Bottle Straps: Bottle straps connect one end to the bottle and one to the high chair so your baby can’t throw it down. These straps also work on pacifiers and toys!
Benefits of Using a High Chair for Baby-Led Weaning
High chairs can be a super helpful tool in the baby-led weaning process, offering their own benefits as proof they’re a worthy investment.
- Promotes Independence: The space the chair creates between you and baby gives them a sense of independence; Feeding themselves will too!
- Makes Cleaning Simple: Feeding your baby outside a high chair means messes everywhere! High chairs keep it all contained, making for easy cleanup.
- Develops Outside Skills: When you let your baby sit in a high chair, it also helps develop posture, back and core strength, along with motor skills.
- Routine and Recognition: Babies thrive on structure, so if they associate the high chair with the baby-led weaning process, it can make the transition easier—especially for the little ones who aren’t sure they love the new change of scenery at mealtime.
How to Choose the Best High Chair for Baby-Led Weaning
Before you make a purchase, be sure to consider these important factors that make up the best high chairs for baby-led weaning.
- Comfortable for Baby: Your baby’s comfort is of utmost importance if you want mealtimes to go smoothly. Select a chair with plenty of adjustable elements to fit their unique measurements. Padding never hurts, either!
- Easy to Clean: Baby-led weaning is going to create some messes as your little one explores new foods. Make it easier on all involved with a high chair that has easy-to-clean high chair straps, eating surfaces, and machine-washable materials.
- Fits the Table: You want your baby to be able to participate in family meals during the baby-led weaning process, so be sure the chair can make that happen. A high chair with adjustable legs is ideal.
- Safety: Above all else, your child’s high chair needs to be safe. The ability to sit upright while eating, safety harnesses, and well-made materials are all elements of the best high chairs for baby-led weaning.
5 Best Non-Toxic, Organic Bassinets of 2023
Looking for a safe, healthy, non-toxic bassinet? They can be hard to find, but we’ve rounded up some of the best non-toxic options out there. Check out our guide!
Feeding and Eating, Product Reviews
The 5 Best Gas Drops for Babies in 2023
The best baby gas drops relieve excessive gas due to swallowed air, crying, feeding issues, or food intolerance. See which one tops our list.
The 5 Best Pack ‘N Play Covers of 2023
For a compact, easy-to-use solution to several typical pack ‘n play problems, look no further than these best pack ‘n play covers.