The 5 Best Prefold Cloth Diapers of 2023
- These 5 prefold diapers are among the best on the market.
- Clips, covers, and dry bags are helpful accessories for prefold diapers.
- Prefold diapers are layered for maximum absorbency.
- Cloth diapering has many benefits over typical disposables.
- Consider fabric, thickness, readiness, and sizing before purchasing.
Cloth diapering comes with its fair share of choices. While some of those choices are more convenient, they don’t offer the same affordability and versatility as prefolds. Offered in varying levels of thickness, fabric, and sizes they meet the needs of little ones from birth all the way into toddlerhood.
With so many prefolds on the market, though, it can be tough to know which ones are up to the task. After all, they see a lot of wear and tear (among other things). Luckily, we have all the info you need right here! Stick around and save yourself the time and research—we’ve got the 5 best prefold diapers right here.
Our Choice: OsoCozy Prefolds Unbleached Cloth Baby Diapers
- BEST NATURAL DIAPERS – The internet’s best-selling prefold cloth diaper has earned it’s place for good reasons – meet OsoCozy Prefolds Unbleached Cloth Diapers, the softest, most absorbent and durable natural diapers for infants.
- SIZED FOR INFANTS – OsoCozy Prefolds Unbleached Cloth Diapers, Size 1 fit infants from 7-15 lbs and are generally used with diaper covers or plastic pants. One order contains 6 prefold cloth diapers. Each measures 12 x 16” prior to washing, and will shrink down approximately 5-10%.
- HIGHLY ABSORBENT – OsoCozy Prefolds Unbleached Cloth Diapers are 4x8x4, with the middle panel having eight layers of absorbency and outer panels with four layers, offering plenty of absorbency and durability.
- SOFT FOR BABY – Made of pure, 100% unbleached Indian cotton in a lint-free thick gauze weave, for superior softness and strength. Wash and dry these unbleached diapers 2-3 times prior to use to remove natural cotton oils and ensure optimal feel and absorbency.
The OsoCozy Prefolds Unbleached Cloth Baby Diapers get stellar reviews and it’s no surprise why. Right out of the package I was impressed with the stitching. You can tell they’re very well made and built to last. They’re very soft to the touch and the middle definitely seems thick enough to prevent leaks.
They did look big for the size I got (size 1), but they’re said to shrink 5–10% after washing, so if they seem a bit big for your little one, they should fit better after a wash. With a lint-free weave and unbleached cotton that’s clearly durable, it’s easy to see why they’re a fan favorite.
There aren’t too many issues with these prefolds, but still a few to take under advisement before buying. Some parents didn’t feel these diapers were wide enough for their babies after washing, claiming it depended on the child’s build. Another concern was the ability, or lack thereof in some cases, to remove stains from the diapers.
Best in Multi-Use: Gerber Birdseye 3-Ply Prefold Cloth Diapers
- Made of a lightweight (thin) fabric that is soft and quick drying
- Comfortable, recyclable and reusable alternative to disposable diapers. Customized folding great for multi-use such as diaper changing, burp cloths, cleaning, and crafting!
- Size: 14″ x 20″
- For max absorbarcy, wash before use
The Gerber Birdseye 3-Ply Prefold Cloth Diapers are made of a quick-drying, birdseye weave that creates a comfortable fit for your little one. They’re really easy to clean and come in an affordable pack of 10. While their main use is for diapering, they’re well known for use as cleaning rags and are often used as burp cloths.
Even so, these prefolds aren’t without their flaws. Some parents didn’t feel they were thick enough for use as diapers. Many also said they’re not long-lasting; they tend to fray in the wash and don’t hold up against long-term wear and tear.
Best in Softness: Kanga Care Bamboo Prefolds
- PREMIUM MATERIALS: Our luxurious prefold diapers are above average quality. They are made from natural fibers of 70% viscose of Bamboo Rayon and 30% Cotton, this blend is what makes them so soft with superior absorbency. Our prefolds also meet Diaper Service Quality standards.
- ECO CONSCIOUS: Kanga Care strives to be as eco-conscious with all products. These prefolds are unbleached to reduce carbon footprint. Our materials are not exposed to unnecessary chemicals and exceed the requirements of the CPSA and CPSIA rules for cloth diapers.
- BUDGET FRIENDLY: Kanga Care Prefold diapers are very budget friendly as you only need 18-24 prefolds to cloth diaper full-time. Prefolds require a waterproof exterior to contain leaks and messes. Pair your Kanga Care Prefolds with inexpensive Kanga Care Rumparooz covers. Covers can be reused more than once before washing by simply wiping the interior of the cover when changing a wet diaper.
- SIZING AND USE: Kanga Care Prefolds come in 4 different sizes, growing with your child for a customized fit. SIZE 1: Newborns at 4-10 lbs. SIZE 2: Infants 7-17 lbs. SIZE 3: Baby 12-25 lbs. SIZE 4: Toddlers 15-30 lbs. Kanga Care prefold diapers will require at least 6 hot washes and drying before use to be “Prepped” and ready to use.
If you’re hunting for the softest prefolds available, you can’t go wrong with the cotton and bamboo blend of the Kanga Care Bamboo Prefolds. Their ultra-absorbent fabric comes in several sizes, all of which work extremely well for nighttime. They’re known to be durable, too, so you can count on long-term use.
Parents did have some concerns with these prefold diapers, though. Many felt the sizing was off and that they ran too big. The most frustrating part is said to be the number of washes needed to reach full absorbency—some recommend washing upwards of 10 times for more absorbency, so they may not be ready to use upon unpackaging.
Best in Readiness: Humble Bebe Prefold Cloth Diapers
- PREMIUM UNBLEACHED COTTON – No unwanted or toxic chemicals touching your baby’s precious skin, whether you use them as a diaper or a burp cloth
- EXTRA ABSORBENT – 4x8x4 Layers of cotton ensure maximum absorbency, especially when compared to hemp or synthetic diapers. When used as an insert, the diapers are 16 layers thick
- SIZED FOR INFANTS AS WELL AS TODDLERS – Humble Bebe cloth diapers can be used with newborns (folded traditionally with fasteners) or larger infants/toddlers (folded and used as an insert/pad) and fit nearly any cloth diaper cover on the market.
- REDUCE WASTE AND SAVE MONEY – When you buy these reusable, eco-friendly diapers, you are dramatically decreasing the amount of product that ends up in land-fill, and because you can wash and use them over again, you will quickly save money versus disposable ones
No parent needs yet another task to add to the list. The Humble Bebe Prefold Cloth Diapers prevent you from doing just that, as they come pre-washed and pre-shrunk. These unbleached prefold diapers are chemical-free and made of 8 super-absorbent layers that make leaks a thing of the past.
With the good also comes some bad. These cloth diapers are definitely more expensive than most others, likely due to their prep and number of layers. They were also reported to be too small for some babies and not quite as soft as some parents had hoped.
Best in Breathability: Fasoar Prefold Cloth Diapers
- 100% COTTON DIAPER – Made of pure, 100% cotton in a lint-free, tightly woven gauze. No unwanted or toxic chemicals touching your baby’s precious skin, whether you use them as a diaper or a burp cloth. Gentle on skin yet incredibly strong, they stay crisp, white and fresh far past the time your little one wears or uses them
- COMFOT AND SOFT CLOTH DIAPER – Prefolds are 2x3x2 Layers of cotton, with the middle panel having extra layyers for ensuring maximum absorbency especially when compared to hemp or synthetic diapers and outer panels with less layers for great comfort and fit.Can get rid of the worry that the baby skin is soaked by urine rash or itching pain, and prevent baby from red ass.
- SIZED FOR INFANTS AS WELL AS TODDLERS – Size:50.8cm*35.6cm [20”X 14”], super breathable and absorbent cloth diapers can be used with newborns (folded traditionally with fasteners) or larger infants/toddlers (folded and used as an insert/pad) and fit nearly any cloth diaper cover on the market. Package on 5pack, 6pack, 10pack, 12pack, depend on your choose
- EASY TO CARE FOR – We recommend washing diaper 2-3 times before use. Use only non-chlorine bleach when needed. After using simply toss soiled cloth diapers into the wash then machine or line dry. Cool iron if necessaey. Fabric is resistant to wrinkling and quilting, unlike other prefold cloth diapers.
The Fasoar Prefold Cloth Diapers win best in breathability, likely due to their design. The breathable side sections keep babies cool and dry with their lightweight birdseye weave. These cloth diapers come in a 12-pack that’s suitable for infants and toddlers alike. Easy to care for and wrinkle-free, they’re a solid prefold diaper option.
Unfortunately, some reviewers weren’t pleased with the diaper description, namely their claim that these cloth diapers are unbleached when they really are. Many parents also felt that though the side sections are breathable, they’re too thin. The middle is said to clump up after washing as well.
It comes as no surprise that while cloth diapers have some major benefits (more on that later), they’re definitely more work. Even so, these recommended accessories are sure to make the use of your prefold cloth diapers a much easier process.
- Cloth diaper clips: Replacing the old school diaper pins, these clips grip the prefold diaper with micro teeth for a safe and secure hold.
- Cloth diaper covers: Made as a pull over or with adjustable snaps, these fun covers go over your prefold to prevent leaks while still remaining breathable.
- Cloth diaper wet/dry bags: These no-leak zipper bags are perfect for putting soiled diapers in one section, using the second compartment for dry items.
What are Prefold Cloth Diapers?
Prefold cloth diapers are made in a variety of fabrics layered and sewn together to create a thick rectangular diaper. The seams create 3 distinct sections which not only absorb but act as a guide when folding. They’re not to be confused with flat-fold diapers, which are simply a single layer of fabric made into a rectangular diaper.
Whichever you choose, though, there are plenty of benefits of cloth diapers. In short, they’re allergy friendly, better for the environment, comfortable, and can be reused for future siblings. Not to mention, prefolds are known to be the cheapest option for cloth diapering.
How to Choose the Best Prefold Cloth Diaper for Your Baby
When selecting your prefold cloth diapers, there are a few factors you’ll want to consider to be sure they best fit your baby’s needs.
- Fabric: While regular or organic cotton prefolds are most common, they come in other fabrics as well. For instance, bamboo prefold cloth diapers are also a popular choice as the fabric blend offers an extra level of softness.
- Thickness: Every prefold diaper has a different amount of thickness, which inevitably points to its absorbency. The thickness of the middle layer is the most absorbent, so you’ll want to pay attention to that layer most of all.
- Readiness: Reusable cloth diapers require pre-washing for them to reach their maximum amount of absorbency. Each brand of prefold diaper is different with regard to pre-washing, though. Some come more ready to use than others.
- Sizing: Not every prefold diaper offers different sizing. Some of them are more of a “one size fits all” deal. Some parents don’t mind this, while others prefer to be able to pick sizing specifically for newborn babies to toddlers.
Heard a lot about weighted blankets and lap pads and wondering how to choose one? Here’s our guide to the ins and outs of finding the right weighted blanket.
Looking for the right night light to help your little one ease into bedtime? Check out our guide for everything you need to know about toddler night lights.
Potty Training, Product Reviews
The best swim diapers are comfortable and help prevent your baby from having an accident in the pool or ocean. Find our favorites in this round-up!