The 5 Best Baby Loungers of 2023
- Baby lounger seats should not replace a bassinet or be used for sleep.
- The intended use of baby loungers includes playtime and breastfeeding.
- You should always supervise your child when they’re using their lounging chair.
Laying down to snuggle with your baby is the best feeling in the world. But sometimes having a safe space to put them down while you do chores is necessary. That’s when a baby lounger may be just what you need. It can be incredibly helpful when you want to give your arms a break or introduce your child to a different view of their surroundings.
Like most parents, safety is probably your first concern. While your baby should not sleep in their lounging seat, you can let them relax in it when they’re awake. A baby lounger is a useful accessory that can keep your child engaged and help with their development.
Before purchasing one, ensure you know how to safely use it. Below I explain what you can use an infant lounging seat for besides sleeping. You’ll also find 5 of the best baby loungers you can’t go wrong with!
Our Top Pick: Infantino Prop-A-Pillar Tummy Time & Seated Support
- Design: Supportive C shaped pillow with stackable pillows, detachable teether, tummy time pillow, soft seat positioning prop and caterpillar to keep baby engaged while developing head and neck muscles
- Includes: Detachable BPA free teether, plush cloth sun and attachable soft, yet firm stackable support pillows to grow and change with your young one
- Seated play: Prop pillow supports baby during tummy time and helps develop head and neck muscles. Measures 16.5″x5″x14″
- Cleaning: Spot clean only with damp cloth or sponge, do not machine wash
The Infantino Prop-A-Pillar lounger grows with your baby. This playful caterpillar is excellent for tummy time support and seating. Your little one will enjoy visual and sensory stimulation with this soft, textured companion and its detachable toys.
You can use one of the caterpillar extensions from birth during tummy time. It’ll lift your baby’s eye view so they can explore their surroundings better. As your baby gains neck and head control, you can place the caterpillar in front of them to practice their reach while laying flat.
The C-shaped pillows will help babies learn to sit independently when they’re ready. It offers support and aligns their position. The caterpillar head on one side of this lounger will keep your baby engaged. There’s also a detachable flower-and-mirror toy at the other end.
Many parents review that their infants love the Infantino Prop-A-Pillar. Its versatile design, bright colors, and detachable BPA-free teether are just some of its features that make us agree.
Drawback: You can’t machine wash the Infantino Prop-A-Pillar. If it gets dirty, only spot clean with a damp cloth.
Perfect for Feeding Sessions: Momcozy Nursing Pillow
- Original Design, Great Support for Mom and Baby: Our nursing pillow for breastfeeding and bottle-feeding encourages better posture during nursing, take pressure off your shoulders and neck. Make every moms’ breastfeeding life so much easier and happier. No more pain and sore arms.
- Large size for All Around Support: Through the feedback of many customers, we have widened the sides of nursing pillow to provide more comprehensive arms support for moms. Size: 23.6”(L)*28”(W)*6.3”(H). The perfect mix of soft and firm.
- With adjustable waist strap, it is fit most size, it help this pillow hugs your body securely and stays in ideal position, eliminates the gap between you & baby. Design with a security fence, keeps baby from rolling away during breastfeeding or nursing.
- Multipurpose & Free Your Hand: Free mom’s one hand and save time to handle multi-tasks or just enjoy their leisure time while nursing or bottle-feeding. Our pillow can accompany baby to grow, Feeding (0+ months), propping (3+ months), tummy time (6+ months) and sitting (9+ months).
Do you want to make feeding your baby as comfortable as possible? This Momcozy nursing pillow that doubles as a lounging seat for infants is a must-have! It offers excellent support for both mother and baby when breastfeeding or bottle-feeding.
The pillow’s large size provides arm support for moms and reduces pain and discomfort in the shoulders and neck. It has an adjustable waist strap that ensures a secure fit for all body types. This waist belt keeps the pillow in place. A security fence also prevents your baby from rolling away during feedings.
As a lounger, this pillow is multipurpose. From propping and tummy time to sitting and playtime, this baby pillow will be a companion to your child through their development. The 100% cotton pillowcase is soft on delicate skin. Your toddler will feel comfortable and fit snugly into the pillow arms. The security fence acts as a headrest for bigger babies sitting in this lounger.
This nursing pillow is a perfect blend of functionality and convenience. With a removable, machine-washable pillowcase, you’ll easily clean up messes. It also has zipper covers to ensure your baby doesn’t accidentally scratch themselves.
You can use the Momcozy Nursing Pillow as a newborn lounger, put it in your baby’s play yard for supervised breaks, or wrap it around family members so they’ll easily hold your baby safely.
Drawback: Since this pillow is so big, it can be challenging to travel with.
Best for Playtime: Galt Toys Playnest
- General Note: Please allow 24 – 72 hours for your Mattress to regain its full shape. Any memory foam will expand faster in a warmer room. In cold temperature, at delivery, your mattress may take a bit longer to return to full sized from its compressed state.The expansion time of the mattress will vary as per the surrounding.
- A self contained play for babies and toddlers with textures, patterns and sounds to explore
- Multi sensory features are incorporated in the activities, The playnest helps stimulate touch, vision and hearing
- The fabric cover has a quilted center for baby’s comfort and is machine washable. Outside diameter is 90 cm
If you need versatile and innovative baby products, this is it! The Galt Toys Playnest provides a soft resting area and self-contained play environment for babies and toddlers. This lounger seat is inflatable and lightweight, making it a must if you like to travel. It has an inner tube and quilted fabric cover that’s comfortable and machine-washable.
Newborns can safely use this baby lounger under supervision. It has extra sideway support to minimize the risk of your little one falling out as they rest or play. The lounger cover has multi-sensory features to stimulate your baby’s touch, vision, and hearing. This includes textures, squeaky objects, and patterns.
You don’t have to use blankets or extra pillows with this lounger. It’s designed to reduce the risk of suffocation and provide your baby with a safe and comfortable place to rest or practice balancing and sitting.
If you’re done using it, you can store this baby pillow away by deflating the tube and rolling the cover to fit back in its packaging.
Drawback: The inflatable ring tube can puncture. If you’re using this lounger on a camping trip, ensure the floor you place it on is clear of sharp pebbles or thorns.
Best Baby Lounger for Sitting: Dad-Baby 4-in-1 Baby Lounger
Multi-use baby goods make the best investments. The Dad-Baby 4-in-1 baby lounger perfectly fits the category! It provides a fluffy, soft resting surface for newborns and will help your older baby stay upright. Besides relaxing and sitting, you can use this pillow for feeding and floor play.
Unlike many other baby loungers, this design is travel friendly. It’s lightweight and has a carrying handle. The multi-functional design of this pillow makes it a great choice for modern, on-the-go minimalistic families. You can actively engage with your little ones while they use this lounger. Older kids will appreciate the added cushion while playing on the floor.
This 4-in-1 baby lounger has a cute animal print featuring black-and-white images. Its simple design provides visual stimulation and promotes vision development in newborns. You can detach the backrest by pulling at the hook and loop fasteners. When there’s a mess, just pop the entire pillow in your washing machine.
Drawback: Breastfeeding with this pillow has a learning curve.
Material: Polyester | Weight: 2.44 pounds | Dimensions: 23.6×15.7 inches
View on Amazon
Best Buy For Mom and Baby: Chilling Home Pregnancy Pillow
- 【Best Pregnancy Pillow for Support】Chilling Home pregnancy pillow combines provides premium polyester filling to plump up that have this full body pillow fluffy & supportive. As an anti pain full body pillow of Chilling Home pregnancy pillows for sleeping, the pregnancy body pillow hugs your entire body and conforms to both sides, perfectly supporting the head, arms, belly and feet to release your body pressure, and relieves body pain,committed to having expecting moms chill out at home.
- 【PREGNANCY SUPPORT PILLOW】Pregnancy must haves Body pillow for pregnancy of maternity body pillow for adults offers body support and relax as a pregnancy pillow which is identical with other pregnancy pillows. Pregnancy Pillows that pregnancy must haves can lead to a state while using pregnancy body pillows for sleeping. Especially as a pregnant pillows for sleeping when goes into pregnant pillows for sleeping.
- 【MULTIPURPOSE PREGNANCY PILLOWS】Compared to other pregnancy pillow, the body maternity pregnancy pillow is not only a pregnancy pillow cooling for sleeping designed for pregnant women or mothers, but also a full body pregnancy pillow that pregnancy must haves and the people wanna better sleep who needs pregnancy pillows. Especially could be a pregnancy gifts for first time moms.
- 【PREMIUM FILLING in PREGNANT PILLOW】The pregnant pillow with cover filled with filling which provides extra soft and of high density as well as pregnant pillows for sleeping cooling, pregnancy pillows for sleeping,maternity pillows for sleeping,maternity pillow for sleeping,maternity pillow cooling. It could also be a pregnancy gifts for first time moms, could be arranged when after wedding registry items set. This long pillow can be used as room decor as well.
The Chilling Home Pregnancy Pillow is a great option if you want to buy baby gear that will bring you as much joy as it does for your baby. It provides comfortable support to help you sleep through the night while still pregnant. Once your baby is born, this pillow doubles as an infant lounger.
With premium polyester filling, this baby pillow is extra soft. It comes with a removable and washable cover so you can easily clean up any messes your child makes. You can use it from birth for feeding. It has a waist strap to stay in place during these sessions. When your infant is 3 months or older, you can use the pillow for propping.
It also makes a great support during tummy time. Babies who practice sitting will further benefit from the U-shape of this lounger. Once you remove the inner cushion, the sides offer even more support.
This lounging pillow can last throughout multiple pregnancies and kids. It’s durable and can withstand frequent washing. The Chilling Home Pregnancy Pillow is a great investment for yourself and your baby!
Drawback: The connecting waist tie isn’t entirely adjustable.
Material: Cotton | Weight: 3.41 pounds | Dimensions: 53 x 25.6 inches
View on Amazon
How to Safely Use a Baby Lounger
Baby loungers are designed for supervised rest while awake only and are not intended for baby sleep. You should never let your little one sleep in it. Improper use of an infant lounger could result in serious injury or death.
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has guidelines on its Safe Sleep webpage about this. If you want to safely use a baby lounger, it’s important to keep this information in mind.
All of this might leave you wondering—are baby loungers safe? Here are some safe ways to use these baby seats:
Use a Baby Lounger When Breastfeeding
Baby loungers can double as nursing pillows. They can be extremely helpful when breastfeeding. Holding your newborn in the right position for feeding can become straining. You can use a baby lounger to keep your little one and yourself comfortable while they drink.
Choose a U-shaped pillow if you plan on using it when breastfeeding. Always position your baby’s head and neck so their airways remain clear. If they fall asleep, move them to a firm surface.
Use a Baby Lounger for Tummy Time
Tummy time is an important activity for babies. It helps strengthen their neck and shoulder muscles. You should start tummy time when your baby is a few weeks old. The right baby lounger can support your infant during this exercise.
If your baby doesn’t like spending time on the floor, a baby lounger can make them feel more comfortable. Find one that allows you to prop your baby’s chest on one of its sides while their arms and legs are outstretched. As your baby gets stronger, gradually increase the time they spend on a flat surface.
Use a Baby Lounger for Playtime
Baby loungers can be a safe and comfortable place from where your baby interacts with their surroundings. You can place toys or other objects within their reach and encourage them to play with it. This can help your young child develop critical skills while keeping your hands free for a coffee break.
You can also place your baby in their lounger for playtime when you need to do chores. They can lie on their back or tummy. Keep your baby in view to ensure their safety.
To safely use your baby lounger, keep these points in mind too:
- Ensure your lounger is assembled correctly and in good condition before use.
- Always place your baby lounger on a flat, stable surface. Never use it on a raised area like a bed or couch.
- Always supervise your baby while they’re in their lounger.
- A baby lounger is not substitute for a crib, co-sleeping bassinet, other safe sleep environment.
- Keep your baby lounger away from heat sources like radiators or fireplaces.
What to Look for When Buying a Baby Lounger
You should consider a few key features when buying an infant lounger seat. This will ensure you get the best product for your baby.
Safety: Choose a lounger that meets safety standards. Check to see if it has been certified by organizations like the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) or has received a safety certification from the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).
Material: Breathable material is more comfortable for babies. Some loungers are made with organic materials, while others use synthetic ones. Choose a lounger that fits your preference. Most baby loungers have cover options you can consider too. You should also choose a durable material that can withstand repeated use.
Adjustability: Some loungers have adjustable inclines or different recline positions. This can help your baby rest more comfortably or keep them propped up for playtime.
Portability: If you plan on taking your baby lounger on the go, look for one that’s lightweight and easy to fold.
Cleaning: Easy-to-clean loungers are a great benefit to you. Many baby loungers can be machine washed, while others can be wiped down with a damp cloth. Keeping baby gear clean is more hygienic for your baby. Choose a lounger with a cleaning method you can easily stick to.
Let Your Little One Sit Back and Relax
Cute clothes, a crib, and toys might be the only baby essentials that tops your list. But adding an infant lounger to your baby shower registry is highly recommended. This multi-use baby pillow can help you in many parenting areas.
You can use a baby lounger as a soft place to put your baby down. It’s also great as extra support during feeding sessions or as an aid when encouraging your baby to enjoy floor play or learn to sit. Just remember that it’s never safe for sleeping and to always supervise your little one when they use it.
Braille and Literacy, Product Reviews, Visual Impairment
Dana Meachen Rau's book, Sense of Play, follows the adventures of Chip and Joy as they play. Chip is blind, but this doesn't get in the way of their play!
Wondering whether white noise will help your little one sleep better? Here’s our guide to the best baby sound machines to help your baby fall asleep soundly.
Heard a lot about weighted blankets and lap pads and wondering how to choose one? Here’s our guide to the ins and outs of finding the right weighted blanket.