The 4 Best Baby Pillows of 2023
- So-called baby pillows are really designed for toddlers of around two years of age.
- It’s unsafe for younger babies to sleep with a pillow, so do not introduce a pillow to your child’s sleep space until they are two years old.
- Pillows, loose blankets, and soft toys pose a suffocation risk to younger babies, which is why it’s important to keep your baby’s sleep space clear.
When you become a parent for the first time, the number of new things you need to learn can feel overwhelming. Sleep is a big one; not only do you need to figure out how to get your baby to sleep but also how to do it safely.
Soft objects such as pillows and soft toys can pose a suffocation risk, so these are not advised for young babies. This is why young babies should sleep in a baby sleep sack and not with loose blankets.
When your child is old enough, however, you’ll be able to introduce a pillow to their sleep space. Parents usually choose to do this when their child is old enough to move into a big kid bed, which is often around the age of two. By this time, your child will be able to sleep safely with a toddler pillow and toddler duvet.
Once your toddler is old enough to sleep with a pillow, you’ll want to buy them the best baby pillow to ensure they get a good night’s sleep. There are lots of different pillows available, from hypoallergenic pillows to organic pillows, so you’ll have plenty of choices when it comes to your toddler’s first pillow.
Baby Pillow Safety Recommendations
It’s important to note that even products advertised as baby pillows are not safe for babies. The American Academy of Pediatrics11. Black, L.. American Academy of Pediatrics Updates Safe Sleep Recommendations: Back is Best. American Academy of Pediatrics. 2022. https://www.aap.org/en/news-room/news-releases/aap/2022/american-academy-of-pediatrics-updates-safe-sleep-recommendations-back-is-best states in their safe sleep guidelines that infants under one year old should sleep on their back in a crib or bassinet without any loose blankets, pillows, toys, or bedding.
If you’re considering buying a so-called baby pillow for your child, be sure to wait until they’re older, ideally closer to two years of age.
To keep your baby safe, it’s important to follow these safety recommendations:
- Pillows pose a suffocation risk and should not be used for babies.
- Infant head pillows are marketed as a way of reducing the appearance of flat head syndrome, but the FDA says they pose a serious risk to babies. These pillows are not FDA-approved and could put your baby at risk of suffocation. You can read more about the FDA’s advice here22. Center for Devices and Radiological Health. Do Not Use Infant Head Shaping Pillows to Prevent or Treat Any Medical Condition: FDA Safety Communication. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. 2022. https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/safety-communications/do-not-use-infant-head-shaping-pillows-prevent-or-treat-any-medical-condition-fda-safety. Remember, flat head pillows (also known as head-shaping pillows) will not prevent flat head syndrome and could put your baby at risk.
- Pillows advertised for babies are not safe until toddlerhood, so don’t be fooled into thinking the products are safe for babies. Make sure your baby’s head is safely resting on a firm sleep surface free from pillows and other items.
With this in mind, sleep plays an important role in your child’s health and well-being. Hitting your sleep target is vital for growth and development, and getting enough sleep boosts your child’s immune system, improves memory, and aids learning. Once they’re old enough for a pillow, a comfortable and relaxing sleep space can help your toddler to get enough sleep.
Our Choice: My Little Dreamy Pillow
- 13″x18″ Ergonomically Designed Toddler Pillow with Pillowcase – Highly rated by parents all around the world, our KeaBabies My Little Dreamy Toddler Pillow is ergonomically designed and tested on kids, and toddlers for the best spinal support without compromising on their comfort.
- Durable & Washable – Our Toddler Pillows with Pillowcase are machine washable for both the toddler pillow and toddler pillowcase, keeping your toddler’s mini pillow clean and fresh all the time.
- Safe and Natural – We used OEKO-TEX 100 Standard Certified Cotton, and GOTS Certified CU 1042833, for our toddler pillows and pillowcases. Gentle, breathable, natural – The perfect kids pillow for your kids.
- Perfect Travel Pillow for Kids – My Little Dreamy Toddler Pillow is the perfect size for a toddler bed. Our kids pillows for sleeping are also handy for preschool naps, sleepovers at Grandparents’, traveling and road trips.
Ergonomically designed to promote good spinal health, My Little Dreamy Pillow is suitable for ages 2 to 5. This soft and fluffy pillow is comfortable to ensure your child can get a decent night’s sleep in ultimate comfort.
Made from organic cotton, My Little Dreamy Pillow is a gentle and natural pillow to aid your child’s sleep. Sized at 13” x 18”, it’s the perfect size for your toddler’s head. The compact size makes it easy to transport, so your toddler can take it with them when they sleep over at Grandma’s house.
To ensure it offers maximum support and comfort, the pillow was vetted by chiropractors during the design process and vigorously tested by children before it came to market. Proper spinal support is crucial for optimal growth and development, so don’t underestimate the importance of a good-quality pillow.
The pillow is machine washable, so it’s easy to keep clean and fresh. Designed to be durable, My Little Dreamy Pillow washes well and bounces back to its original shape once dry.
Some parents may feel this pillow is too fluffy and too bulky for small children. If you’re looking for a flat, firm pillow, this isn’t it. My Little Dreamy Pillow is soft and fluffy, even after washing.
Best Organic: Little Sleepy Head Toddler Pillow
- This snugly, take-it-everywhere he or she goes pillow is THE perfect size and softness for your toddler! Our childrens pillows are just right for toddler beds too!
- Backed by our “Love the Fluff” or we will replace it Guarantee! Pillowcases sold separately!
- Not too fluffy, not too flat! This pillow for kids holds it’s shape over time and, of course, it is washable!
- MADE IN THE USA BY OUR FAMILY – OWNED COMPANY; We have little ones of our own, so we not only imagine what parents might like, but we also know first hand!
Choosing organic products for your baby reduces the use of harmful chemicals and pesticides. Not only is this good for your baby, but it’s also much better for the planet. Made in the USA, Little Sleepy Head Toddler Pillow is a chemical-free pillow that features a 100% organic cotton shell, so you can be sure your toddler has a safe space to sleep.
The down-like fill is hypoallergenic and provides optimum comfort for your little one during the night. Little Sleepy Head’s toddler pillow contains just the right amount of filling to ensure optimum neck and spinal support for your toddler. This pillow is constructed from high-quality materials so you can relax knowing your child is in safe hands.
Little Sleepy Head’s toddler pillow measures 13” x 18”, providing plenty of space for your little one to rest their sleepy head. The pillow is machine-washable, so you don’t need to worry about any spills in the night. It washes well and dries quickly, so your toddler won’t have to go a night without their favorite pillow.
One negative of the Little Sleepy Head toddler pillow is the filling. Since it’s a bit more full than some other pillows, some children may struggle to sleep comfortably on it. Luckily, the brand offers a guarantee, so if you’re not happy with the pillow, they’ll alter the stuffing for you. This fantastic guarantee takes the risk out of pillow shopping because if you’re not happy with the standard size, they’ll customize the filling to your toddler’s needs.
Best Budget: Babebay Toddler Pillow
- Cute Pattern Print: All kids love the sunshine rainbow, especially girls. Our pillowcase is designed with that in mind. Cloud, sunshine, rainbow, and love heart, all of those elements will make kids feel happier and relaxed. It is the most cost-effective and best gift kids pillow for sleeping.
- Machine Washable & Durable: Babebay Toddler Pillow with Pillowcase are both machines washable, easily deal with the issue when mess always happens with toddlers around, to keep clean and fresh crib pillows for baby toddlers.
- Pediatricians First Recommended: Consider toddler’s spine in a development stage, our scientifically designed toddler pillows for sleeping from 2 to 5 years old, suitable thickness and size for the best spinal support to make your baby sleep better and grow healthily.
- Soft and Breathable: This child pillow is used cotton and Eco-friendly hypoallergenic 3D microfiber filling, ultra-soft and breathable for boys and girls in all seasons.
You don’t need to spend a small fortune on a pillow for your toddler; this affordable toddler pillow from Babebay is a fantastic option. Available in a variety of colors and designs, you’ll be able to find one your toddler loves that compliments their bedroom. We love the sunshine rainbow design with cute doodle-style illustrations and fun colors.
The pillow’s shell is constructed from 100% organic cotton, so you can relax knowing the washable cotton cover was made without the use of harmful chemicals. Organic cotton is gentle on your baby’s skin, so you won’t need to worry about it irritating your baby’s sensitive skin
Inside, the pillow contains a 100% fluffy microfiber filling to ensure maximum comfort and good support throughout the night. This hypoallergenic filling is a great option for toddlers with allergies, as it won’t irritate their airways during the night.
If the pillow gets dirty, you can simply stick the pillowcase and the pillow itself into your washing machine. A machine-washable pillow is a must for your little one and will take the hassle out of spills and accidents.
The Babebay toddler pillow measures 18” x 13”, so it’s the perfect size for your little one. It contains the ideal amount of filling to provide proper spine and neck support while your toddler sleeps.
The simple envelope-style pillowcase is easy to use, making changing your toddler’s bed a breeze. Take the stress out of sleep with this affordable, comfortable toddler pillow from Babebay.
Some parents may find this pillow too fluffy after washing. The extra fluff makes the pillow higher, which can be too high to use comfortably for some toddlers. This is personal preference, however, and overall most parents and toddlers are happy with this pillow.
Best Memory Foam: Coop Home Goods Toddler Pillow
- Perfect Size Memory Foam Pillows for Kids: The Coop Toddler Pillow is 19” x 13” long. Whether they’re a side sleeper or back sleeper, your littles, ages 2- 8, will surely love this adorable toddler bedding essential for the superb lift it gives to their necks. Include it in your daycare essentials, put it on the crib, or take it on your baby’s trips and allow your little one to have proper alignment and sleep snugly anywhere they go. Give your kiddos the sleeping indulgence they deserve!
- Soft, Adjustable Comfort: Filled with our Original Oomph fill made of cross-cut memory foam & microfiber blend, this pillow provides the comfort of our Original Pillow in a fun-sized version ideal for your little one’s head. The breathable Lulltra fabric cover provides a gentle, soft, and cushy feel. Fully adjustable and customizable, this pillow is designed so you can add or remove fill to ensure maximum support for your child’s neck, back & spine. Proper alignment is key!
- Coop Home Goods Pillow for the Kids at Heart: Moms, pops, grannies, uncles & aunts, this toddler bed pillow is for you too! Relax & get cozy anytime, anywhere, with our tiny and cozy adjustable pillows. It perfectly fits a travel pillow case or bag & can be made flat or fluffy in minutes! Bring the Coop comfort wherever you go with this small pillow.
- Machine Washable Ergonomic Pillow: Food smears, accidents, juice or milk spills? No worries! Your toddler pillow & cover is easy to wash & specially designed for all kinds of messes from curious little explorers. Simply put it in the washer, tumble dry & it’s ready for action again.
Memory foam has become a popular choice for mattresses, mattress toppers, and pillows in recent years. The Coop Home Goods memory foam pillow is fully customizable, so you can help your toddler get comfortable before bed. Simply add or remove filling until the pillow is exactly as you want it. All toddlers are different, and this clever design allows you to create the right pillow for your toddler.
The pillow features cross-cut memory foam and a microfiber blend to allow for optimum comfort. The high-quality filling provides even comfort and spine, neck, and head support, so you can relax knowing your toddler is enjoying a comfortable night’s sleep.
The customizable nature of this medium-firm pillow is super useful, allowing you to switch things up when necessary. For example, if your toddler is suffering from a stuffy nose, a little extra filling may help elevate their head further and reduce their symptoms at night.
At 13” x 19”, the spacious pillow is designed for toddlerhood and beyond. The machine-washable pillow and cover can go in the dryer, so you can clean up spills and accidents in record time.
The memory foam is comfy, and the ability to remove some is fantastic until it gets into the hands of a curious toddler. If you have a mischievous toddler who is likely to unzip the covers and hurl the filling around the room, this might not be the pillow for you.
What Are the Benefits of Using Baby Pillows?
Once your toddler is old enough to sleep with a baby pillow safely, a pillow can offer support to their developing spine. A baby pillow, in particular, is designed for children aged 2 and over, and provides the right amount of head support and height for a comfortable night’s sleep. Remember, you want your toddler’s head and neck to be supported throughout the night.
An adult pillow would likely be too high or too fluffy for your toddler, which is why it’s worth investing in a specially-designed infant pillow. Your toddler’s body goes through a lot of changes between ages 2 and 5, so it’s important to ensure you’re doing all you can to promote healthy development and optimum growth.
A baby pillow will allow your toddler to get comfy at night and hopefully reduce their night wakings from discomfort. Unfortunately, a well-chosen toddler pillow won’t be able to protect you from the 2-year sleep regression. You’ll have to ride that one out!
How to Choose the Best Baby Pillow
There are lots of things to consider when choosing baby pillows for toddlers, for example:
Baby pillows come in various price ranges. Don’t choose one you can’t afford. Your baby will be just as happy and safe on a more affordable pillow. Choose an affordable pillow from a reputable retailer, and you can relax knowing your baby is safe. The best toddler pillows are safe, affordable, and comfortable. Baby gear doesn’t have to be expensive.
There are various types of filling available, from memory foam to microfiber, from authentic down to other natural materials. Some parents opt for organic products for their toddler’s sleep space so they can limit their child’s exposure to harsh chemicals. For other parents, hypoallergenic materials are the number one priority because their child suffers from allergies.
Infant pillows are smaller than regular pillows, so your choice of pillowcases may be limited. Some toddler pillows come with a case, and there are a few options for you to choose from. Others may be standard toddler pillow sized to allow you to buy standard toddler bedding sets, but this is something you should check in advance.
Although all toddler pillows aim to offer optimum head and neck support, they don’t all feel the same to sleep on. Some are fluffy, while others feel more firm, and some are fluffier and higher. It’s worth taking your toddler to a store so they can try out different pillows to see which ones feel best for your baby’s neck. Or buy online from a company that offers easy returns so you can choose the right pillow for your baby’s body.
- Black, L. (2022, June 21). American Academy of Pediatrics Updates Safe Sleep Recommendations: Back is Best. American Academy of Pediatrics. https://www.aap.org/en/news-room/news-releases/aap/2022/american-academy-of-pediatrics-updates-safe-sleep-recommendations-back-is-best
- Center for Devices and Radiological Health. (2022, November 3). Do Not Use Infant Head Shaping Pillows to Prevent or Treat Any Medical Condition: FDA Safety Communication. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/safety-communications/do-not-use-infant-head-shaping-pillows-prevent-or-treat-any-medical-condition-fda-safety
The best adaptive strollers are designed to accommodate individuals with special needs, disabilities, or mobility challenges. Find our favorites here!
Whether you’re heading back to work or pumping exclusively, breast milk storage bags are a must-have for your supply. Check out our list of the best.
Braille and Literacy, Product Reviews, Visual Impairment
Dana Meachen Rau's book, Sense of Play, follows the adventures of Chip and Joy as they play. Chip is blind, but this doesn't get in the way of their play!