5 Best Breastfeeding Chairs for Nursing Moms of 2023
- A comfortable chair is a nursery must-have and will provide somewhere to feed, cuddle, and read to your baby.
- There are lots of different styles of chairs to choose from, from gliders to rockers and everything in between.
- A supportive chair can help with breastfeeding positioning and allow you to sit comfortably during long feeds.
- A well-chosen chair will last for years, allowing you to rehome it to the family room once your child has outgrown it.
A comfy breastfeeding chair is the perfect place to make memories with your baby. You can snuggle up in the chair each evening for a bedtime story, relax during the day while your baby plays at your feet, and enjoy the twilight quiet during night feeds from your cozy chair.
A good quality nursing chair is a wise investment when you’re expecting. A nursing chair will provide a comfortable seat for you and your beautiful baby. When designing a nursery, it’s easy to forget about your needs, but a chair is a must to create a nursery you’ll want to spend time in.
As well as providing a comfy seat, a breastfeeding chair can offer much-needed support during night feeds (not emotional support, unfortunately, though that would be much appreciated at 3 am). A supportive seat will provide relief from backaches, while padded arm cushions will allow you to hold your baby comfortably for longer.
There are so many gorgeous nursery chairs on the market you’ll have your pick of the best breastfeeding chairs for you and your baby. Whether you’re looking for a simple, no-frills comfy chair or an all-singing, all-dancing recliner, the perfect chair is out there waiting for you.
Our Choice: Storkcraft Premium Glider & Ottoman
- PREMIUM COMFORT: The Storkcraft Harmony Premium Glider and Ottoman is a premium upholstered nursery rocker glider that offers you generous seating room, comfortable padded arm cushions, as well as enclosed metal ball bearings which make for a smooth gliding motion to gently rock you and your little one
- RELAXING GLIDING MOTION: Crafted with a durable, long-lasting, solid hardwood base, the Storkcraft Harmony Premium Glider and Ottoman has a smooth gliding motion, making it the perfect addition to the nursery; its upholstered, padded arm cushions are a convenient height for comfort while nursing
- MULTIPLE COLORS: Designed to match beautifully with any nursery, this nursery rocking glider is available in multiple cushion and base colors so it will match your style and blend seamlessly with the rest of your nursery furniture; Storkcraft is a proud recipient of the Parent Tested Parent Approved (PTPA) Seal of Approval; 2021 & 2022 Women’s Choice Award Winner for 9 out of 10 Recommended Baby & Kids Furniture
- EXPERT TESTED FOR NURSERY SAFETY: The Storkcraft Harmony Premium Glider and Ottoman is expert tested by independent laboratories to guarantee that your nursery glider meets (or exceeds) all applicable federal safety standards
Storkcraft is a household name when it comes to nursery items, so it’s not surprising one of their nursing chairs is our top pick. Their Premium Glider & Ottoman is durable, well-made, and comfortable without breaking the bank.
The solid hardwood base is built to last, and the cushioned seat is perfect for easing the aches and pains of new parenthood. The high-backed seat provides good back support during feeds, and the cushioned armrests ensure you can sit comfortably during long feeds. The ottoman allows you to rest your legs and get comfy while you cuddle your baby.
The gliding motion is smooth and gentle, allowing you to gently glide your baby as they drift off to sleep. The durable cover fabric is designed to withstand family life, and a simple spot-clean should get rid of any spills.
One of the best things about this chair is the price; you get a comfortable premium glider at an affordable price. The main downside is the lack of storage; while most competitor ottoman’s feature storage, Storkcraft’s Premium Glider offers nowhere to keep your essentials.
Most Stylish: Nursery Works Sleepytime Rocker
- MODERN ROCKER: Sleepytime is a refreshingly modern take on the traditional rocking chair with a structured, padded square back design that sits upon elegantly curved walnut-stained ash hardwood legs; Removable lumbar pillow included for comfort
- HAND UPHOLSTERED: Constructed and upholstered by hand. Easy setup with no tools required
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: This rocker has undergone rigorous scientific testing for over 10,000 chemical emissions and VOCs; It contributes to cleaner indoor air, creating a healthier environment in your home
- BREATHE EASY: Foam used in the seat meets all CA TB117-2013 flammability requirements and is CertiPUR-US certified, certifying the foam is made without PBDE or Tris flame retardants, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and CFCs
Nursery Works Sleepytime Rocker is the perfect breastfeeding chair for your mid-century inspired nursery. This gorgeous rocking chair comes in a variety of colors, and we love the tan vegan leather option.
The smooth walnut legs make this chair stand out, and the smooth rocking motion is the perfect way to gently soothe your baby to sleep. The vegan leather is wipe-clean, so it’s ideal for a nursery. PU leather is an easy fabric to keep clean, so you’ll be able to enjoy that brand-new look for longer.
The sturdy chair boasts a removable lumbar pillow for that all-important lumbar support during night feeds. The main downside to this chair, however, is the low chair back which leaves some taller mamas moaning about neck support during long feeds. It’s worth trying out this chair in-store before purchasing, so you can decide whether it will be comfortable for your body.
The spacious seat provides the perfect setting for your baby’s bedtime story, so snuggle up and get comfy. Thanks to its stylish aesthetic, this chair will look at home in your living room once your baby no longer needs a nursing chair.
Luxury Pick: Nurture& The Glider Plus
- POWER RECLINER & ADJUSTABLE HEADREST: Get into the perfect position with just the touch of a few buttons. Parents can adjust back, legs and headrest to ensure they are finding a comfortable position for both themselves and their baby. Only nursery glider with power headrest functionality.
- 200° SWIVEL FUNCTIONALITY: Our nursery glider offers a smooth and effortless 200° swivel motion, allowing you to easily turn and reach for items without disturbing your sleeping baby. Whether you’re feeding, reading, or just relaxing, this glider’s 200-degree rotation ensures maximum comfort and convenience.
- POWER LUMBAR SUPPORT: Our nursery glider is designed with your comfort in mind, featuring a built-in power lumbar support system that provides exceptional lower back support. With multiple levels of adjustable support, you can find the perfect level of comfort for different activities such as nursing, reading, sleeping or just relaxing. This glider’s power lumbar support will help reduce tension and strain on your back, ensuring you can enjoy extended periods of relaxation without discomfort.
- SMOOTH GLIDE: The Glider’s gentle movements back and forth allow you to gently calm your baby, helping relax them to sleep. An essential for all those late nights.
Nuture& spoke to hundreds of parents to create a nursery glider that ticks all the boxes. This stylish seat offers the very best in modern comfort. Ergonomically designed, The Glider Plus boasts padded armrests and a high supportive back, ensuring you can sit comfortably while caring for your baby.
The adjustable head support allows for optimum comfort no matter how tall you are. Power recline and a smooth glide mean you can get comfy without disturbing your little one. This chair is so comfortable you won’t want to get out of it.
Nurture&’s Glider Plus is upholstered in a stain-resistant and water-repellent fabric, so you can enjoy spending time with your baby without worrying about spills. The built-in USB charger means you won’t have to worry about your phone dying while nap-trapped under a snoozing baby.
The timeless design means The Glider Plus will look at home in any room in your house. While the neutral color palette will compliment your nursery, it will look just as good in your family room in a few years’ time. The electric glide is controlled at the touch of a button, making it a stress-free nursery chair to relax in while you care for your baby.
Budget Pick: IKEA Pello
- Complies with California TB117-2013 flammability Requirements.
- CushionDo not wash.
- Clean with upholstery shampoo.
- Do not bleach.
Though not marketed as a dedicated nursing chair, the IKEA Pello can be found in nurseries across the world. IKEA is famous for designing stylish, practical, and affordable products, and the Pello is no exception.
The simple aesthetic of this best budget nursing chair will look at home in any nursery, and the neutral palette will compliment any color scheme. The high back support is perfect for nursing mothers, and you can even treat yourself to a complimenting footrest to ensure good circulation during night feeds.
IKEA’s Pello is a fantastic nursing chair to sit and nurse your baby, though it won’t rock or glide your baby to sleep. The armrests are wooden, which looks great but won’t be as comfortable as padded armrests.
Best All Rounder: Carter’s by Da Vinci Swivel Glider
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: This product has undergone rigorous scientific testing for over 10,000 chemical emissions and VOCs. It contributes to cleaner indoor air, creating a healthier environment for your baby to sleep, play, and grow
- DESIGNED FOR PARENT AND BABY: Metal base that allows for a smooth and gentle 360 degree swivel motion and forward and backward gliding so you can be comfortable as you feed or rock your baby to sleep. Bonus lumbar pillow and storage ottoman
- WATER REPELLENT AND STAIN RESISTANT FABRIC: Raising a baby can be messy. Fortunately, this glider makes it easy to clean any baby messes and will stay looking new for years to come
- EMISSIONS-TESTED: Foam used in the seat meets all CA TB117-2013 flammability requirements and is CertiPUR-US certified which certifies the foam is made without PBDE or Tris flame retardants, heavy metals, formaldehyde and CFCs
Can’t choose between a nursery glider and a reclining nursery chair? Fear not; you don’t have to. Carter’s by Da Vinci’s Swivel Glider with storage ottoman is a wonderful addition to any nursery. Upholstered in stylish linen, the swivel glider is stain-resistant and water-repellent, allowing you to keep it looking new for longer.
The padded footstool offers somewhere to rest your weary feet after a long day of mothering. The stool doubles as a storage box, making it the perfect place to keep all your breastfeeding accessories for those late night feeds.
The chair’s high back offers comfortable back support with a removable lumbar pillow for extra lower back support. The chair’s clever mechanism allows you to glide forward and backward or swivel 360 degrees, giving you plenty of choice when it comes to soothing your baby to sleep.
This luxury chair may not be the cheapest breastfeeding chair on the market, but it will last for years. The simple design of this nursing chair will look at home in your living room long after your baby has outgrown their nursery.
Types of Breastfeeding Chairs
A quick online search for breastfeeding chairs will throw up pages of results. There are so many different nursing chairs available it’s worth determining which type you want before you go shopping. The most popular breastfeeding chairs include:
A rocking chair moves in a gentle rocking motion that will lull your baby to sleep. Modern rockers are reminiscent of traditional rocking chairs on back porches in the good old days. Some expectant women are drawn to rockers because they remember the rocking chair of their childhood and the relaxing feeling of being rocked.
Gliders offer a gentle gliding motion to soothe your baby to sleep. Less jerky than a rocking chair and with quieter movements, gliders are increasingly popular amongst new moms. Gliders take up a lot of space, however, so it’s crucial to check and double check the measurements before making a purchase. The best nursery glider for your baby will be the one that fits beautifully in their room.
Recliner Nursery Chairs
A reclining nursing chair will allow you to lean back and get comfy, which is perfect for longer feeds and contact naps. Though some recliners are static, many offer rocking or gliding functions so you can comfortably lull your baby to sleep.
Choosing the Best Breastfeeding Chair For Your Needs
There are lots of things to consider when choosing the best nursing chair for your needs. Here are some points worth considering:
Breastfeeding chairs come in all shapes and sizes. It’s crucial to measure the space and find a chair that fits. Gliders may take up more space, and footrests are an extra addition that might not work in a smaller room. A rocking chair may be a good option for a smaller space. You don’t want the chair to dominate the room, so opt for a compact chair if space is at a premium.
A quality nursing chair will provide back support so you can sit with good posture as you feed your baby. A cushioned chair will provide a perfect place to sit for a long feed, and a footstool will allow you to raise your legs when sitting for long periods. The best nursing chairs are comfortable to sit in for hours at a time.
Breastfeeding can be tricky during the early weeks, and good posture and positioning can make all the difference. A spacious chair that has room for you to use a boppy pillow comfortably will make things easier as you learn to breastfeed your baby. A nursing chair that provides good back support is a must; you’ll want to sit comfortably before you latch your baby to the breast.
Don’t blow your budget on a nursing chair. It’s easy to convince yourself that you need to spend money when you’re expecting, but that’s not true. Your baby won’t care what brand their nursery furniture is; they just want to be safe in your arms. A budget nursing chair can be just as good as a more expensive option. You don’t need to break the bank for a comfortable chair.
If the one you love is out of your price range, keep an eye out for secondhand chairs on local selling sites. Many parents rehome their nursing chairs once their babies grow into toddlers, so you might be able to grab a bargain.
You’ll want to choose a chair that compliments the nursery aesthetic. Opting for a neutral color chair will allow the chair to grow with your child. Simply update the cushions and throws for a new look whenever you grow tired of the nursery style.
Whether you’re hoping for a leather-look mid-century inspired chair or a linen recliner, there will be plenty of options to choose from. If you’re planning to keep the chair long into the future, it’s worth considering which fabrics and colors will look at home in your living room, too.
While style is important, practicality is equally as valuable when it comes to nursery furniture. Babies are messy, so it’s worth considering how easy it is to clean before parting with your cash. Wipe-clean fabrics are ideal for a nursery. Breast milk stains, spit-ups, and other messes are easily avoided with durable fabrics.
Some chairs are noisier than others, so it’s always worth trying them out in-store first. A rocking chair, for example, may creak, whereas some gliders are designed to move noiselessly. The best nursing chairs are the ones that don’t wake sleeping babies!
Some chairs offer built-in storage, which is fantastic for keeping all your breastfeeding accessories, such as muslin cloths and nipple cream for breastfeeding, handy during feeds. Some chairs offer USB chargers so you can keep your phone battery charged. Figure out which practical features will be most useful to you and your family.
The best adaptive strollers are designed to accommodate individuals with special needs, disabilities, or mobility challenges. Find our favorites here!
Whether you’re heading back to work or pumping exclusively, breast milk storage bags are a must-have for your supply. Check out our list of the best.
Many people assume breastfeeding and sleep training don’t go together, but it is possible to help your baby sleep better while continuing your breastfeeding journey.