The 7 Best Baby Carriers for Plus Size Moms of 2023
- The best baby carriers for plus-size parents allow you to be hands-free while keeping your baby close.
- Some moms baby wear for the first few months, while others continue until their child is a toddler.
- The best baby carrier provides head support, promotes baby wearing, and is a comfortable place for your baby to rest.
- Baby carriers are convenient, so you can move around your house without worrying about waking your baby.
Moms come in all sizes, which is part of our beauty. (Remember: everyBODY can use a baby carrier!) Babywearing is popular because it keeps your baby close to your chest, allowing you to be hands-free.
Baby-wearing also has several benefits for your child, including promoting bonding and cognitive development.
And, regardless of your size, you always want a baby carrier that fits you perfectly so both you and your baby are comfortable. The last thing we need as parents is another stressor in our day! Here’s our favorites.
Our Choice: Moby Wrap Baby Carrier
- BABY WRAP THAT PROMOTES BONDING: Baby-wearing nurtures a powerful bond that can lead to calm, happy babies, while helping to reduce stress, colic, and even encourage breastfeeding. Less bulky material and padding allows you to keep baby uniquely close, warm, and secure.
- COMFORTABLE BABY CARRIER WRAP: A parent-favorite for its comfort, style and adaptability, the MOBY Wrap Baby Carrier is made from soft, stretchable and durable fabric that evenly distributes the weight of carrying baby across the back, shoulders, and hips.
- VERSATILE: Measuring 18ft, this wrap for baby grows with your little one, supporting preemie babies – 35lbs in several carrying styles: facing you or out, sideways, or on your back – all while you stay hands-free! Can also be used as a blanket or pillow when not in use.
- BABYWEARING MADE SIMPLE: This baby carrying wrap is great for parents on the go-a hands free baby carrying experience.
The Moby Wrap Baby Carrier is one of the most comfortable, made with a soft, stretchable, durable cotton fabric.
The versatile carrier measures just over 18 feet long when fully unrolled and has instructions for several types of holds, including the Newborn Hug, the Hug Hold, and the Kangaroo Hold.
In addition, you can wear the Moby with your baby facing in or out, on your side, and your back, allowing you multiple options when baby-wearing. The Moby has a minimum weight recommendation of 8 lbs, with a weight limit of 33 lbs
Keeping your baby’s head secure is essential, and the Moby is designed to cradle your little one even if they fall asleep. Don’t worry if you’re large-chested—the Moby fits comfortably regardless of size.
Baby wraps are great because they tend to be lightweight, which helps keep your baby cool. While there is a learning curve to mastering the wraps, it becomes second nature with a little practice.
Like many of the best baby carriers we’ve reviewed, the Moby should last for the first few years of your baby’s life because it can adjust as your baby grows.
Best Pre-Wrapped: Baby K’Tan Baby Wrap Carrier
- HANDS FREE BABYWEARING: Keep newborn babies, preemies and infants close while you go about your day. Our unique baby wrap design also supports your best position for easy breastfeeding on the go. (If under 8 lbs, consult healthcare professional).
- SIMPLE DESIGN: The Baby K’tan baby wrap is quick and easy to wear – no rings, belts, buckles or excess fabric. This infant carrier is the no-wrap wrap! Just slip the sling over your head like a t-shirt.
- COMPLETE COMFORT: Made from 100% cotton, our baby carrier allows even weight distribution, and the breathable fabric is soft against baby skin. Not bulky or frilly – ideal for both moms and dads.
- SAFE AND SECURE: Our infant holder’s unique double loop design and one way stretch hold your baby securely in place, and the wrap carrier’s natural seated position is Approved Hip Healthy by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute.
The Baby K’Tan Baby Wrap Carrier requires no tying or buckles, making it easy to get on. The fabric is also incredibly soft, preventing your little one from overheating.
You can easily carry the Baby K’Tan in your diaper bag, which helps reduce things to bring along. Pre-wrapped carriers fit similarly to a t-shirt, go directly over your head, and fit snugly against your body.
The baby wrap carrier goes up to size XL, making it an excellent option for plus-size parents. There are complaints about it being too big, but the company recommends sizing down and going by your pre-pregnancy size.
As a note, the fabric stretches easily, so ensure you don’t stretch it too much to where it’s loose. However, this is handy if you want extra space for the best baby carrier for plus-size moms.
As a note, if you don’t have the Baby K’Tan appropriately adjusted, you’ll likely experience some shoulder pain. If the pain continues, it’s best to take your baby out and start over again.
Best for Breastfeeding: Boba Baby Wrap Carrier Newborn to Toddler
- Simple, no-guess tying instructions and just one size make this wrap your GO-TO BABY CARRIER for the first three months of parenthood. It was the first of its kind and the simplicity of the idea has kept moms and babies together for 10 years.
- STRETCHY and SOFT, machine washable fabric that will keep your baby close. So much easier to clean than a stroller or car seat! You can machine wash and dry this wrap, making life just a little easier for new moms.
- ERGONOMIC seat for baby, ergonomic weight distribution for mom and dad! Each time you tie the wrap, you create a CUSTOM seat for your baby. Knee to knee support every time!
- EASY to tie and easy to breastfeed in. It even acts as a privacy shield for nursing moms because you can nurse while wearing it, without taking your baby out of the wrap.
The Boba Baby Wrap Carrier Newborn to Toddler is another popular plus-size baby carrier that helps distribute your baby’s weight evenly. In addition to not breaking the bank, the Boba fits all-size parents and allows for breastfeeding.
The best baby carrier for breastfeeding allows you to be on the go without worrying about when you have to feed your baby next.
In addition, the International Hip Dysplasia Institute reports that the Boba wrap and similar carriers promote the optimum position for hip health. A hip-healthy baby carrier is important to prevent hip dysplasia, which occurs when the hip joint hasn’t developed properly.
Best Ring Sling: Moby Ring Sling
- PARENTS COULD USE SOME SUPPORT – Moby Ring Sling offers hands-free support to parents who want to keep their babies close and content. The ring sling is a comfortable carrier for both baby and parent. It promotes bonding and helps reduce stress.
- FEEL & LOOK GREAT – Our Ring Sling is easy to slip on and comfortable enough to wear for extended periods. The material is stylish, breathable, durable, and evenly distributes baby’s weight across back, shoulders, and hips. Wear it with any outfit!
- FOR YOU & YOUR BABY – Hold your baby close and keep your hands free. Our ring sling is safe and cozy for newborns and functional for parents. Have the nurturing intimacy you desire while still experiencing the freedom you need with its support.
- INTUITIVE DESIGN – Created for efficiency and comfort. It is a parent-favorite due to its design and adaptability. It offers front and hip carrying options so you can easily adjust as baby grows. The fabric is high quality and machine washable.
The Moby Ring Sling is a comfortable baby carrier that holds babies up to 33 lbs and easily adjusts, regardless of your body’s size. I’m a fan of ring slings because they are a comfortable carrier and easy to use.
A ring sling baby carrier is convenient because they evenly distribute the baby’s weight across your back, shoulders, and hips. You can also choose from several colors, including Rose, Fern, and Pewter.
The Moby is also popular amongst parents because it’s easy to adjust, and you can discreetly breastfeed if your little one gets hungry.
The only main complaint from parents is a large warning label sewn into the sling’s tail and another in the shoulder seam. It doesn’t alter the use of the sling, but it’s more of a nuisance.
Best Lightweight: Solly Baby Wrap
- From Womb to Wrap: Our baby wearing wrap offers a soft, secure environment that’s reminiscent of the womb. The sling baby carrier can accommodate even the smallest of babies and is designed for the first year of baby’s life or up to 25 pounds
- Distributes Weight Evenly: Our baby wraps carrier distributes weight evenly all over your upper body with no pressure points on shoulders or back. This baby holder carrier also supports baby without putting extra pressure on the joints or spine
- Sustainable Cloth Baby Carrier: Our lightweight and breathable baby wearing carrier wraps are made from 100% certified TENCEL (TM) Modal. These infant essentials can be machine-washed (delicate cycle) and tumbled dry (low heat) without wearing down
- Happy Baby, Free Hands, Full Heart: Approx 5.5 yards in length, our baby carrier newborn is an adjustable one size, universal fit (perfect petite + plus size baby carrier for men and women)!
The Solly Baby Wrap is simply beautiful, and that’s reason enough for me to love it. Even the pattern names are delightful- Cottage Rose and Fern Chequer have me swooning. But I digress.
The Solly Baby Wrap is perfect for those hot summer days when your baby wants to be held, but the temperature has other plans. While the lightweight fabric makes it ideal for warmer temperatures, it also keeps your baby snug all winter.
What parents love about Solly is the buttery-soft fabric that cradles their little one. In addition, the universal fit allows parents of all sizes to appreciate its beauty.
The only downside of the Solly Wrap is it’s designed to fit babies up to 25 lbs or about a year old. However, maybe we can petition to get them to make bigger sizes.
Best for Hiking: Ergobaby Omni 360 All-Position Baby Carrier
- BEST SELLING & TOP RATED: The Omni Breeze baby carrier is rated #1 in airflow: Designed with SoftFlex Mesh to maximize airflow and keep you and baby cool and dry all day. This carrier is the perfect accessory for travel, take it on an outdoor adventure or a relaxing getaway, comfort is guaranteed.
- THE CARRIER THAT DOES IT ALL: Omni Breeze Baby Carrier grows with your baby from newborn to toddler (~0-48 Months; 7-45lbs), a reliable essential for your baby at all stages of growth
- ALL CARRY POSITIONS: This carrier is incredibly versatile, position it from any angle with ease – position baby outward or inward from the front, switch it to your back as a backpack style baby carrier, or even to your side as a hip seat
- SUPPORT IN ALL THE RIGHT PLACES: The Omni Breeze features adjustable cushioned shoulder straps and padded lumbar support for ergonomic comfort. Straps can be used in two ways: regular or crossed over the shoulders. The Omni Breeze is built to fit your body comfortably – vented waist belt fits waist sizes ranging from 25.5 inches to 55.25 inches
If wraps and slings aren’t your thing, you’ll want to check out the Ergobaby Omni 360 All-Position Baby Carrier. I didn’t get into baby-wearing until my second son, but my Ergo became a lifesaver.
If you have a newborn or just a tiny baby, you can get an Ergobaby Easy Snug Infant Insert, which helps them fit correctly in the carrier. I didn’t have an infant insert initially, and I could tell immediately that I didn’t have my baby positioned well.
- SUPPORTS NEWBORNS: Use with newborns or infants (7-12 lbs) in your Ergobaby 360, Original, or Performance carrier
- COMFORT FOR BABY: Provides head and neck support for baby and keeps baby in ergonomic “M” shape position
- EASY TO USE: Easily attaches to carrier with simple snaps
- Machine washable
In addition, there is an adjustable head support for your baby, which I found very helpful with my Ergo carrier. I also liked that there are four ways to hold your baby in the buckle carrier, including on your back, which is perfect for your next hiking trip.
I like structured carriers because I found them easy to use and never felt like my baby wasn’t secure. Plus-size wearers will appreciate the waist belt and adjustable shoulder straps, ensuring a perfect fit.
Best Soft Structured Baby Carrier: Ergobaby Adapt Multi-Position Baby Carrier
- Bond with baby as they grow: Award Winning design keeps baby close from newborn to toddler (0-48 Months; 7-45lbs)
- 3 Carry Positions: Front Inward, Hip & Back Carry
- Cool and Breathable: Soft and durable mesh provides for the ultimate breathability and airflow
- Comfort: Padded lumbar back support and extra padded shoulder straps: Can be used in two ways:, regular or crossed shoulder straps
The Ergobaby Adapt Multi-Position Baby Carrier is an excellent option for soft structured carriers. Not only can you carry your baby on the front, hip, or back, but it also has a soft and durable mesh fabric, ensuring you and your baby don’t overheat.
Parents also love the Ergobaby’s premium features, like a UPF baby hood for sun protection, which doubles as privacy for breastfeeding.
The Ergo is also machine washable, and the International Hip Dysplasia Institute acknowledges it as hip healthy.
Finally, you can get a ton of use out of the carrier because it holds babies ranging from 7 to 45 lbs. You could walk them into Kindergarten wearing the Ergobaby.
Which Type of Baby Carrier Is Best for Plus Size Moms?
Finding something you feel comfortable in with anything you wear is important; the same goes for baby carriers. If you hip-carry your baby, you’ll find tons of relief in baby carriers for plus-size moms.
As a parent, you begin having preferences for specific baby products, and baby carriers are no different! For example, some of my friends couldn’t leave the house without their ring sling, while others left it off their registry.
Here’s a look at the top types of plus-size baby carriers for moms.
Soft Structured Carrier
A structured soft carrier is ideal if you aren’t a fan of wraps or slings and are similar to that of a backpack.
Plus-size parents sometimes prefer an adjustable carrier because you can adjust the waist and shoulder straps to your liking. Structured carriers also have accessories like panel seats, pockets, and hoods.
Ring slings are popular amongst baby wearers since they are easy to use and keep your baby snug against your chest. Typical ring slings have fabric secured with two rings at one end worn across the body.
Baby Carrier Wrap
A baby carrier wrap typically involves no tying, rings, or straps. Instead, you put it on and then place your baby inside. A baby carrier for plus-size moms is ideal because it can fit securely on your body without worrying about where to tie things.
The best baby wrap carrier lets you go hands-free to keep up with your busy life. You usually have to tie wraps around your body, which allows you to pick how tight you want it to feel.
Choosing the Right Baby Carrier as a Plus Size Mom
There are so many types of baby carriers to choose from, so it’s important to consider what you want in a carrier. If you’re on the fence about choosing a carrier, check with your friends to see if anyone has one you can borrow while figuring things out.
You also want to ensure you consider the top features of baby carriers! Here are my top questions to ask yourself when choosing plus-size baby carriers:
- Does it have adjustable straps?
- Is it difficult to put on?
- Can I adjust the carrier’s waist strap?
- Am I comfortable wearing this?
- Does it distribute the baby’s weight evenly?
- Am I going to sweat like crazy in this fabric?
- What extra accessories does it have?
Finding what’s most important to you helps take the guesswork out of choosing a baby carrier.
Can babywearing help you lose weight?
While babywearing alone likely won’t yield weight loss, it can make you more active. And carrying a baby all day long is a serious workout! You also can use it as a time to do squats or other strength training moves, which could lead to a few pounds off the scale.
Are there any adjustments a plus-size mom should make to the carrier to ensure a comfortable fit?
The best thing you can do is follow the directions to put the carrier on properly. If you ever feel discomfort, it’s a good idea to take the carrier off and start from the beginning. You can also reference the instruction manual or online videos to ensure you do it correctly.
How can I incorporate using a carrier into my daily routine as a plus-size mom?
Baby carriers are a lifesaver for grocery shopping, household chores, or dog walking. They also are handy if your baby won’t nap in the crib and want to be close.
Heard a lot about weighted blankets and lap pads and wondering how to choose one? Here’s our guide to the ins and outs of finding the right weighted blanket.
Looking for the right night light to help your little one ease into bedtime? Check out our guide for everything you need to know about toddler night lights.
Potty Training, Product Reviews
The best swim diapers are comfortable and help prevent your baby from having an accident in the pool or ocean. Find our favorites in this round-up!