5 Best Swimsuits for Breastfeeding Moms of 2023
- Nursing swimsuits often have clips that open and pull down to expose your breasts for nursing.
- You can also find plenty of bathing suits that may not be true nursing swimsuits but are nursing-friendly.
- The best nursing swimsuits have necklines that allow you to easily expose your breasts to feed your baby.
Summer is quickly approaching, and I currently have a two-month-old. This means all our family adventures to the pool or beach will require some extra planning. Not only will I need to pack my bag with all the beach essentials for baby, but I will also need to think about my outfit choices.
Breastfeeding a baby in a swimsuit can be tricky if you don’t pick the right one. Some bathing suits aren’t flexible enough to allow easy access for nursing. The last thing you want is a bathing suit you have to almost take completely off in order to breastfeed.
If you’ve also got a little one you’ll be nursing by the shore or pool this summer, I’ve got you covered. I’ve found the best swimsuits for breastfeeding moms. These are not all true nursing swimsuits, but are all nursing-friendly and adorable!
Our Choice: Summer Mae Maternity Swimsuit One Piece Bathing Suit
- 【DETACHABLE BUTTONS】This pregnancy bathing suit features a one-piece, detachable buttons on the neck, and removable padding bras. It also can be used as a breastfeeding swimsuit, nursing friendly. Ruched sides for a perfect fit during pregnancy and flatter your growing baby belly.
- 【CROSS-BACK DESIGN】Adjustable shoulder straps offer good support with the cross-back style. Modest coverage with tummy control and a fully lined, unique design for maternity swimwear.
- 【PREGNANCY SWIMSUIT】Classic solid ribbed maternity bathing suit for pregnant women is perfect to wear to the beach, pool, cruise, SPA, and summer vacation. A comfortable maternity one-piece will give you a good mood.
- 【GARMENT CARE】Machine Wash or Hand Wash with Similar Colors. Recommend Cold Water. Do not Bleach. Do not Tumble Dye. Do not Iron.
My top pick is a swimsuit that will work for both pregnant and postpartum moms. The Summer Mae Maternity Swimsuit One Piece Bathing Suit is the best nursing swimsuit for long-term use.
I love that this bathing suit not only functions as a breastfeeding suit, but also as a maternity suit. This is especially handy if you give birth during the summer and don’t want to have to buy another bathing suit right away.
The fabric is soft and stretchy, allowing enough room for a growing belly. The straps are adjustable, so you can adjust them as your breasts change during pregnancy and breastfeeding. There are also removable bra cups to prevent anything from showing.
The color choices that this swimsuit comes in are beautiful. There are five different colors to choose from, and the sizes range from small to extra-large.
Some mothers noted that the buttons come off easily. You may want to reinforce the buttons with thicker thread to ensure they hold up.
Best Two Piece: Edelqual Ruffled Flounce Top with Bikini High Waisted Bottom
- ❤ Material: Tankini swimsuit for women in 82% Polyester and 18% Spandex mix, Smooth fabric, stretchy, elastic, durable, quick-drying, Non-stick sand, skin-friendly, makes you a dynamic style and comfy fit all summer long.
- ❤ Design Idea: Ruffled tankini top,offering great coverage to belly, makes you look slimmer. Adjustable straps, removable pads make sure you have the best, most comfortable fit. Conservative and flattering this supportive top minimizes cleavage and helps hide any imperfections. High waisted Bikini bottom with tummy control design for better curves.
- ❤Occasion: Perfect idea for you to be attractive in beach, swimming pot, cruise, SPA, Solarium, tropical vacations. This two piece tummy control swimsuits for women will complete your swimsuit into the ulitmate summertime outfit.
- ❤Comfortable and Durable: The super light and airy feel of gauze against your skin is ever so comfortable. The fabulous draping fit will make you look and feel amazing. Not too tight and not too loose this plus size bathing suit for women will shape your most important curves just right!
If you’re looking for a two-piece that gives a little more coverage for nursing, this is for you. The Edelqual Ruffled Flounce Top with Bikini High Waisted Bottom gives plenty of coverage and easy access for nursing.
What I love about this nursing-friendly swimsuit is that it comes in 39 different patterns. You can go as wild as a leopard print or as tame as a solid, dark blue. It’s also offered in sizes from small to 3X.
Though this isn’t an official nursing swimsuit, it functions perfectly as one. The top of this swimsuit features a ruffle flounce that will cover you as you place the baby underneath to feed. You can easily pull up the top to nurse, while the flounce gently lays over your baby’s face.
This bathing suit also has a shelf bra and padding. This is perfect to help control milk leaking from your breasts. However, some moms noted that the top wasn’t as supportive for their larger breasts.
The high-waisted bottoms are another great feature since many nursing moms like more coverage on their tummies. I’m always looking for comfy nursing swimwear that helps hide my postpartum belly. The bottoms also fully cover your cheeks so you aren’t trying to pull down the bottoms while holding a baby.
Best One Piece: EastElegant Women’s Nursing Swimwear One Piece
- Made of high quality, strechy fabric, soft and comfortable
- Adorable one piece nursing swimsuit with tummy control, flattering and supportive, shape your body and make you look more slimming
- ONE-STEP FEEDING CLASP: Breastfeeding clips are integrated into the adjustable tied halter top, you can take off the cup separately by one step and one hand,the outdoor breastfeeding get easier and no awkward
- Full coverage on the hip area gives you no worry about exposing in the air, making outdoor activities more relaxing
My next pick is a true nursing swimsuit and also all one piece. The EastElegant Women’s Nursing Swimwear One Piece is a great choice for a one-piece suit with easy nursing access.
The top of this breastfeeding swimsuit has nursing clips that allow you to access your breasts quickly without removing your bathing suit. If you’ve ever used a nursing bra, this will feel very similar. The plastic clips unsnap and open so that you can pull the entire cup down.
Moms will also appreciate the tummy control feature of this nursing swimsuit. After a baby, some moms carry extra, loose skin in their mid-section and might feel insecure about the way their tummy pooches. This suit gives your tummy more support and also features slight ruching for a slimming look.
Some moms noted that the cups were too small for their large, postpartum breasts. Thankfully, this nursing suit can be easily returned should the fit not work for you.
Best Tankini: GRND Women Tankini Halter Athletic Bathing Suit
- TRENDY TANKINI SWIMWEAR ♥︎ TANKINI top and bottoms with ruched detailing on the bust cups and lightweight padding for a better fit and to show off your cleavage. Adjustable strapless neckline with deep V-neckline and backless for a sleek and sexy look.
- TUMMY CONTROL SWIMSUITS ♥︎ The high waist ruched bottom of the swimsuit provides great tummy coverage and a modest leg cut that doesn’t expose too much and offers excellent comfort and freedom of movement. Suitable for a wide range of ages.
- CASUAL & VERSATILE ♥︎ Suitable for beach, water park, party, pool, and other occasions.
- EXCELLENT MATERIAL♥︎ 80% polyamide + 20% elastane. UPF50+ UV protection. Very stretchy, comfortable, and durable. The easy-fitting stretch fabric gives you a wonderfully comfortable feeling when you’re out and about.
If you like the look of tankinis, but want something that will allow you to breastfeed, you’ll love this. The GRND Women Tankini Halter Athletic Bathing Suit is a tankini with a breastfeeding-friendly neckline.
I recently purchased this swimsuit in hopes that it would allow me to remove my breasts without having to untie the straps. I’m so pleased to say that it does exactly that. The low v-neck design allows the perfect amount of space to be able to pull the swimsuit to one side or the other.
The cups offer the perfect amount of support and include pads as well. This is a great top for both small and large-busted women.
While you will still need a nursing cover if you’d like full coverage while nursing, it does make it easier to maneuver your breasts. Sometimes I’ll just place the corner of a light blanket over the top of my breast instead of a full cover. This keeps my baby cool while preventing anything from showing.
I also love the ruching on the tummy since this covers my postpartum stomach. The bottoms give me full coverage and don’t ride up while I walk.
Some moms found that the size runs small compared to other bathing suits. If you are concerned about the top being too small for your postpartum breasts, you might want to size up.
Best Strapless: Smismivo Tummy Control Swimwear Strapless One Piece Swimsuit
- [Adjustable and Elegant Swimsuit] The One Piece Swimsuits gives a look of a vintage swimsuit and has halter-neck which is modifiable, you can adjust it as per your choice. If you want to look slim and flaunt your curves, you can wear this as it makes you look fabulous. It elevates your confidence and makes you look attractive on the beaches.
- [2 Style Options and Removable Straps] The swimsuit includes double shoulder straps which help you to adjust your swimsuit, and it can also be removed. With the help of 2 different style options, you can make it either double shoulder strap swimwear or Bandeau Swimsuit.
- [Full Lining and Padding] The push-up bra contains a gentle amount of covering and has full lining which allows no one to see through it. Further, it also includes a light padding which helps you feel comfortable, without feeling irritated even when you are wearing it for the whole day.
- [High Quality Material and Stomach Covering] The Swimsuit is made up of premium mesh lining and includes 82% nylon and 18% spandex. By covering your stomach, it enhances and gives shape to your curves. It is also safe for skin as its soft lining provides skin protection.
Strapless suits make the best nursing swimsuits for obvious reasons. The Smismivo Tummy Control Swimwear Strapless One Piece Swimsuit is a great choice for nursing mothers.
Strapless bathing suits are one of the best nursing options since you can easily pull the top down to access your breasts. This Smismivo swimsuit is tight enough to hold up without a strap, but also flexible enough to pull down.
I love that this suit comes in 34 different options including solid colors as well as patterns. It’s also offered in sizes small to 5X.
The body of the swimsuit offers both tummy control and ruching. Both features are slimming and will help you feel comfortable in a bathing suit post-baby. The pads in the cups and double-lined body ensure that you won’t see through the suit.
There is an included strap that you can use around your neck to be sure the suit doesn’t fall down. However, some women found that the strap pulled on the suit and caused the hem to fold over.
If you’re spending a day at the beach or pool with a nursing baby, these accessories will be helpful:
How to Choose the Best Swimsuit for Breastfeeding
Maternity and nursing clothes, including bathing suits, often have clips that open and pull down to expose your breasts. However, you can find plenty of options that may not be true nursing swimsuits but are nursing-friendly.
Here’s what to look for when shopping for a nursing bathing suit:
It’s really all about the neckline. If the bathing suit doesn’t allow easy access to your breasts, you’ll end up having to halfway undress to feed your baby. The best nursing swimsuits have necklines that allow you to remove your breasts.
These necklines include:
- Necklines with detachable clips
Your breasts need more support postpartum. This is due to the hormones that cause your breasts to grow and produce milk. Many women find that having larger breasts while nursing means they need more supportive bathing suits.
Make sure the bathing suit you choose will fully support your breasts so that you’re comfortable moving around.
Your body changes drastically after having a baby. Some women are insecure about the scars, extra weight, and general appearance of their body postpartum. A bathing suit that provides full coverage will help you feel more confident and relaxed while by the pool or beach.
I love to find bathing suits that not only cover my tummy but provide full coverage on my bottom too. With a baby in my arms, I have no extra hands to be tugging at my swimsuit.
The best adaptive strollers are designed to accommodate individuals with special needs, disabilities, or mobility challenges. Find our favorites here!
Whether you’re heading back to work or pumping exclusively, breast milk storage bags are a must-have for your supply. Check out our list of the best.
Braille and Literacy, Product Reviews, Visual Impairment
Dana Meachen Rau's book, Sense of Play, follows the adventures of Chip and Joy as they play. Chip is blind, but this doesn't get in the way of their play!