The 7 Best Teething Toys of 2023
- Teething symptoms include drooling, gnawing, chewing, and gum pain, and there are different ways to alleviate these for your baby.
- Safe teething toys are a useful tool for babies dealing with the pain and discomfort of teething.
- Choose non-toxic teething toys made of safe materials which do not present a choking hazard.
Is your baby chewing everything they can get their hands on? That’s usually one of the first signs that a tooth is on the way. Teething can be tough for little ones dealing with tender gums, inflammation, and gum pain.
There are lots of ways to help relieve the pain of your baby’s aching gums. This is where teethers come in—and you and your baby won’t be short of cute and fun options.
Teethers come in many different shapes, sizes, materials, and textures, so you’re bound to find some that will help your baby’s sore gums.
We’ve rounded up the best baby teething toys of 2023 to help you find the right ones to give your little one some teething relief.
Best Overall Teether: Manhattan Toy Winkel Rattle and Sensory Teether
- BABY TEETHING TOY MADE FOR LITTLE HANDS: The Winkel features a mesmerizing maze of soft, continuous BPA-free teething tubes, and can be refrigerated for additional soothing comfort – a perfect baby chew toy for tiny hands.
- DEVELOPMENTAL BABY TOY: Babies are instantly drawn to this colorful and lightweight infant toy. The Winkel promotes clutching and two-handed play while the center cube with tapered corners encases a quiet but pleasing baby rattle to provide auditory stimulus.
- TIME-HONORED CLASSIC: With over 25 years engaging babies and soothing even the fussiest of teethers, the Winkel is a perfect shower gift for new moms. Safe and dependable, this classic toy for babies has received numerous accolades and has proven to be a true baby go-to and parent must-have.
- BABY TOY FOR NEWBORNS AND UP: Safety rated for newborns and up, the Winkel measures 5″ x 4″ x 3.5″ and easily tucks into the diaper bag when baby is on the go.
Parents overwhelmingly love the Manhattan Toy Winkel Rattle and Sensory Teether for their teething babies.
This classic toy features a maze of BPA-free, flexible teething tubes. Put it in the fridge to make it an excellent cold soothing teether.
Beyond its use as a teether, what’s great about the Winkel Rattle is that it’s also a lovely multi-sensory developmental toy. Babies love the bright colors, the gentle rattle sound, the texture of the pliable tubes, and the way they’re woven around each other.
- BABY TEETHING TOY MADE FOR LITTLE HANDS: Zoo Winkel Animal Bunny Rabbit has a mesmerizing maze of soft, continuous BPA-free teething tubes, and can be refrigerated for additional soothing comfort – a perfect baby chew toy for tiny hands.
- DEVELOPMENTAL BABY TOY INSPIRED BY NATURE: Zoo Winkel features a bunny face rattle prominently in the middle, creating a quiet but pleasing auditory stimulus when shaken.
- BUILT ON A TIME-HONORED CLASSIC: Our Zoo Winkels follow the success of our Classic and legendary Winkel, a main-staple of new Moms for over 25 years; easily tucks into the diaper bag for an easy travel toy.
- BABY TOY FOR NEWBORNS AND UP: Safety rated for newborns and up, the Zoo Winkel Rabbit measures 3″D x 1.75″W x 6.5″H. Hand wash or clean with baby pacifier/baby toy wipes (not included; follow factory’s instructions); do not submerge in water or steam clean.
This toy will hold your baby’s interest even after their first round of teething. It’s also available in some cute zoo animal options featuring rabbits, elephants, and monkeys for added interest.
This is a teether that also helps your baby explore their senses and learn about the world, and it will definitely become a favorite in your home.
Nuby Teethe-eez Teether: Best Budget-Friendly Teether
- Super soft 100% silicone fish-shaped teether
- Multiple teething surfaces aid in the eruption of new teeth
- Perfect size and shape for little hands to hold
- Includes hygienic carrying case to keep teether clean when not in use
The Nuby Teethe-eez Teether is a favorite of teething babies. This 100% silicone teether is soft and flexible. It offers a variety of teething surfaces for soothing your baby’s teething pain.
The fish-shaped ring features soft bristles on one end and bumps on the other, and it’s perfect for baby fingers to hang onto. It also comes with a hygienic carry case so you can put it away in your diaper bag without worry.
Some younger babies may find it a little too big for their mouths to get a grip on. Some parents also worry about the bristles breaking off after use. However, it gets overwhelmingly glowing reviews from the many parents who love Nuby products.
Vulli Sophie the Giraffe: Best Teether to Give as a Gift
- Sophie la giraffe, the most beloved teether for over 55 years
- Made of 100% natural rubber from the Hevea tree
- On each box, there is a QR code to authenticate your Sophie.
- Inside each box, you’ll get: the Sophie story, and a booklet to discover more products
The Vulli Sophie the Giraffe is a classic toy beloved by generations of babies. It’s safe and non-toxic, made of 100% natural rubber.
Its soft body is easy to chew on, and its size makes it a favorite not just for teething but for comfort and keeping your baby’s hands occupied in the car seat or the high chair.
My kids both found that despite Sophie being a teether, only the ears and horns actually fit in their mouths for chewing. They had much more fun with her as an interesting toy and a safe companion in the stroller or the crib.
Still, many parents swear that Sophie is the best teething toy they’ve ever used.
Sophie is expensive for a teether, coming in at over twenty dollars. This makes a classic Sophie the Giraffe a great gift to give at a baby shower. Your friends will appreciate it, whether used as a teether or a buddy for their new baby.
Baby Banana Infant Toothbrush: Best Baby Toothbrush and Teether
- Start teaching your baby good brushing habits with the Baby Banana Toothbrush! This training toothbrush is designed specifically for infants’ and toddlers’ small, sensitive mouths. Intended to be introduced when babies first begin teething and they instinctively want to stick everything in their mouths. The soft silicone bristles will gently massage sore teething gums when the brush is rubbed against them.
- This easy to hold toothbrush toy is made from a single piece of high quality, food grade silicone. It’s been designed to be highly durable to withstand the rough handling of infants and toddlers. It can be put in the freezer to provide a soothing numbing effect for painful mouths. It is designed to be easily cleaned in the top rack of the dishwasher.
- The Baby Banana has been carefully designed especially for little hands to hold. Its “peels” allow you to attach a binky strap to the brush to prevent it from being dropped. If it does fall on the ground, it’s easy to rinse off and keep chewing. The whole toothbrush measures 4.33″ x 0.39″ x 7.87″, making it perfect as a My First Toothbrush for infants just beginning to teethe.
- The Baby Banana is proudly Made in the USA. It is made from 100% food grade silicone, and is BPA free and phthalate free. The bendable silicone is safe for babies who bite down hard on a toothbrush, or if they should fall while holding the toothbrush, the soft material will prevent oral injuries that could occur with a traditional toothbrush.
The Baby Banana Infant Toothbrush is a multipurpose teether many babies love holding and chewing on.
This banana teether is made of a single piece of 100% food-grade silicone, which is phthalate and BPA-free, so it’s safe for chewing. The peels of the banana are easy to hold and are the right size for baby and toddler hands.
The soft bristles ease and stimulate your baby’s irritated gums. This infant toothbrush is also a great introduction to brushing once those teeth come in.
Like other teethers with soft bristles, some parents have found that the bristles may break off over time, so that’s something to look out for. You should check the teether often for any breaks.
Even with all of that in mind, this teether, which also comes in shark and corn cob versions, has maintained its huge popularity among parents.
Green Toys Twist Teether: Best Eco-Friendly Teether
- Shake, rattle and explore with the my first green toys twist teether, Tiny hands can easily grasp this lightweight, three dimensional, ultra-safe teether, Each uniquely shaped and colorful charm has a distinct texture to stimulate visual and tactile senses, Made in the USA from 100% food-safe recycled plastic milk containers, Green Toys manufacturing processes save energy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- The package Dimension of the product is 5.4″L x5.1″W x4.3″H
- Model Number: KNTA-1502
- Green Toys Inc (Author)
If you’re trying to keep a green home, Green Toys makes excellent, fun, quality toys from recycled materials that kids just love. Their Green Toys Twist Teether is no exception.
Like the Manhattan Toys Winkel Rattle, the Twist Teether is a multi-sensory, multidimensional developmental toy in addition to helping with teething discomfort.
Made of 100% recycled plastic, babies love this toy’s bright colors, different textures, sounds, and shapes. There are multiple places for them to chew, as well as to give them sensory stimulation.
While it’s twice the price of some simpler teethers, its green credentials and developmental features make it one of our top teething toys.
Green Sprouts Blankie Teether: Best Teether with Comforter
- soothes gums & promotes healthy oral development
- multiple textures massage gums
- wet & chill knots for extra relief
- easy to hold, gum, & chew
When you’re dealing with a cranky teething baby or one who’s drooling a lot, the Green Sprouts Blankie Teether offers many solutions to some common teething problems.
This small, organic cotton muslin cloth has a detachable silicone teether. The fabric is lovely as a mini comforter for your baby and for helping with drool. It also makes a soothing crinkle sound your baby will enjoy.
Almost any teether or pacifier can be attached through the adjustable strap.
The teether is dishwasher safe, and the blankie is machine washable. These are convenient and helpful features, as this lovely little teether will need a lot of washing at the end of a day of teething.
Itzy Ritzy Silicone Teething Mitt: Best for Younger Teething Babies
- Itzy Ritzy silicone teething mitts provide relief to emerging teeth and massage sore gums; they are made of food grade silicone and are non-toxic and free of BPA and PVC
- Our teething mitts feature textured silicone that is soothing on sore, swollen gums – they also include a crinkle sound that stimulates baby and keeps him or her entertained
- An adjustable strap ensures a secure fit and helps the mitt stay in place – perfect for babies who can’t yet hold a teether!
- Teething mitts also keep baby safe from scratches on the face
Young babies often drop teethers (which you have to find) or abandon them in favor of chewing on their fingers and hands. That can get messy and drooly very quickly.
The Itzy Ritzy Silicone Teething Mitt is a great solution because it stays wrapped around your baby’s hand, which they want to chew on anyway!
The fabric part of the mitt also has crinkle material inside, for some sensory stimulation and interest.
Some parents have found that it doesn’t last long as a teething favorite once their babies have figured out how to pull the mitt off. For young babies who like to mouth things, though, this is a good, safe choice.
To help prevent a teething rash from excessive drooling, you’ll need a lot of bibs when your baby starts teething. These Copper Pearl Bandana Bibs do a great job very stylishly.
We found that cotton baby bandana bibs were the easiest and most comfortable option for our kids and very cute. Copper Pearl bandana bibs are thick, absorbent, and smaller than traditional bibs you use for eating, and parents love them.
Because they’re soft, babies don’t mind having them close to their chin, and the cotton is great at absorbing drool to help prevent chafing and rashes. They come in many adorable colors and patterns to match your baby’s outfits too.
When Do Babies Need Teething Toys?
Most babies get their first tooth around six months, but teething symptoms can start much earlier, around four months. Some babies may also begin teething later than six months.
When the first symptoms of teething start, teething toys can help relieve pain and discomfort.
Symptoms of Teething
How will you know if you’re baby is teething? There are several telltale symptoms, including:
- A lot of drooling
- Teething rash on chin and face from drooling
- Chewing on anything they pick up
- Gum pain
- Increased fussiness
- Ear pulling and cheek rubbing
If your baby is demonstrating these symptoms, teething has likely started.
You may hear parents say that fever, diarrhea, runny nose, excessive crying and sleeping problems are also caused by teething. However, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) says these are not proven teething symptoms.
If your baby has a fever or diarrhea while teething, consult your pediatrician and do not delay medical treatment.
Relieving Teething Pain
There are different methods for relieving the pain and discomfort of teething. For example:
What About Teething Gel and Medication?
Teething gels and numbing creams rubbed into the gums are not helpful and can be potentially dangerous to your child.
These gels claim to help with pain, but they are generally drooled away.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) also recommends that you do not use any medication that contains benzocaine or anesthetic, as it is dangerous to young children.
How to Choose the Best Teething Toys for Your Baby
There are a few things to remember when choosing teething toys. Here are a few features to look for:
|Easy to clean and disinfect|
Are Teething Necklaces Safe?
Although the teething necklace has gained popularity in recent years, any teether meant to be worn by babies is not recommended because it can present a serious choking hazard.
You may have seen necklaces made of amber or wooden beads advertised for teething. Both the APA and FDA warn against the use of these necklaces or any teething jewelry for children.
Nursing necklaces are worn by the parent with large chunky beads made of silicone on a strong nylon cord and intended to be worn by an adult.
These are used with babies under adult supervision and are different from teething necklaces made of small beads and worn by children. These kinds of necklaces should be avoided.
Should teething toys be chilled or frozen?
Although babies like to chew on cold things to soothe inflammation, the items you give them should be chilled in the fridge rather than frozen.
Teethers with water should be chilled, as frozen teethers can be too hard and damaging for your baby’s gums.
How often should you clean teething toys?
It’s important to clean teething toys daily and preferably after each use. However, that may not always be possible, so look for toys that are easy to clean, dishwasher safe, and without too many crevices or cracks that are hard to clean.
Follow cleaning instructions for each teether, as some can withstand the dishwasher or sterilizer while others can’t.
Toys with fabrics should be machine washed every after use as they will be wet with saliva.
Any toys that are damp, involve water, or have crevices, like teething mitts, should be checked frequently for mold, which thrives in damp environments.
Braille and Literacy, Product Reviews, Visual Impairment
Dana Meachen Rau's book, Sense of Play, follows the adventures of Chip and Joy as they play. Chip is blind, but this doesn't get in the way of their play!
Wondering whether white noise will help your little one sleep better? Here’s our guide to the best baby sound machines to help your baby fall asleep soundly.
Heard a lot about weighted blankets and lap pads and wondering how to choose one? Here’s our guide to the ins and outs of finding the right weighted blanket.