The 8 Best Nursing Pads of 2023
- Imagine you’re out at a social event.
- It’s the first time you’ve left your baby with a sitter and you’re enjoying the adult conversation.
- But then, mid-conversation, you hear a baby cry and it happens—a waterfall strength breast milk let-down!
What do you do?
There’s not much to do, other than awkwardly positioning your arms to put pressure on your nipples. Thankfully, many mamas have been in this situation before. And somewhere along the way, a wise mom invented the nursing pad.
Nursing pads are life-savers for breastfeeding mothers. Breast milk leakage and staining is unavoidable and often happens at the most inconvenient time. Nursing pads are designed to fit in your bra and absorb leaking breast milk.
You will notice many options when searching for nursing pads. Should you choose disposable nursing pads or reusable nursing pads? What size will you need?
We’re here to clear up any confusion and make your choice easy. Our list of the 7 best nursing pads of 2023 will make shopping easy.
Top Choice: Hey Mama Disposable Nursing Pads
Our top pick for the best nursing pads is Hey Mama Disposable Nursing Pads. Here’s what we loved:
Quality. During our search, we couldn’t find another brand with as many raving moms on comfort and quality. Finding a breast pad with a soft lining is a must for moms with sore nipples.
Price. For the luxurious feel and trendy packaging, you would think the price would reflect that. This company is committed to luxury at an affordable price.
Convenience. Grab. Go. Dispose. The ease of use for on-the-go moms makes these an attractive choice.
Guarantee. Hey Mama is so committed to quality, they offer a 30-day money-back guarantee. Love them or return them for a full refund.
Your breasts deserve the best. We think these are one of the best nursing pads for breastfeeding moms in 2023.
Most Soft: Bamboobies Women’s Nursing Pads
- VARIETY PACK: Includes 3 pairs of regular, thin heart-shaped nursing pads and 1 pair of thick, super absorbent overnight nursing pads
- REUSABLE: Washable nursing pads designed with super-soft velour made from renewable bamboo; Perfect for daytime or overnight protection for all-day comfortability and to protect you from embarrassing leaks
- DESIGNED FOR YOUR NEEDS: Heart shape cups your breast to be less visible under clothing – no matter your cup size; Round shape allows for more surface area protection for heavier leaks
- COMFORTABLE DESIGN: Soft and comfortable on sensitive skin; Wear with soft velour side against breast for best results; Easy to position pads to fit your style; Use with or without your favorite nipple creams for breastfeeding comfort
Imagine the softest slippers or smoothest sheets you’ve ever felt. Then imagine something even softer in the form of a breast pad. That’s how many moms describe Bamboobies Women’s Nursing Pads.
Made from bamboo rayon velour, these ultra-soft nursing pads are reliable and perfect for aching nipples. The opposite side of the nursing pad is made with a waterproof polyester layer to prevent leaks. Many moms noted never experiencing milk leakage while using these nursing pads.
Each box includes 6 ultra-thin reusable nursing pads and 2 thick pads. The 6 heart-shaped, thin pads are designed for discreet daytime use. The 2 thick pads are designed for nighttime use or heavy milk flow.
The heart shape might seem odd, but it allows you to find the best fit for your breasts. When you’re finished using them, throw them in with your baby’s laundry. They are machine washable and safe in the dryer as well.
Some breastfeeding moms noted that these reusable nursing pads shift a bit in their bras. Using them in a nursing tank or nursing bra with spots for inserts will solve this problem.
The ultra-absorbent, soft fabric, and superior leak protection make this one of the best reusable nursing pads for nursing mothers.
Most Versatile: Nanobébé Disposable Nursing Pads
Reviewed by Amanda Brandt.
The Nanobébé Disposable Nursing Pads have so many features that are great for nursing mothers. This 60-pack of disposable pads comes with 40 day-time pads and 20 night-time pads, each of which is individually wrapped, providing hygienic portability you can easily store in your purse or diaper bag.
Each pad is clearly labeled for daytime with little suns and night-time with little half moons. The night-time pads are a little bit thicker than the daytime ones to help with overnight protection from leaking.
Both day and night pads are contoured to fit the natural shape of a nursing mom’s breast. Because of this contoured shape, they may seem to be stuck together a little towards the bottom and at the top. There are two pieces of adhesive on opposite sides of the pad to ensure it stays in place the whole time you’re wearing it.
Nanobébé pads are leak-proof, absorbent, and extra soft to the touch. These pads are so well made that they don’t get bunched up or feel bulky and won’t show through clothes, no matter what time of day it is. I highly recommend these nursing pads to any nursing mama out there.
Best Fit: Eco Contoured Washable Reusable Bamboo Nursing Pads
- NEW AND IMPROVED with CUSTOM-DESIGNED DAY-SIES SHAPE: EcoNursingPads have been improved again to offer 2 types of pads in one pack: Ultra-Soft Velvety Flower Shaped Day-sies for daytime use, and thick, round, Organic Bamboo for heavier or night-time flow. Our pads are so comfortable, effective and provide maximum absorbency to ensure no leaking on your bra or clothing.
- TWO-IN-ONE PACK: We now offer our pads as a 10 pack (5 pair) of breast pads – 2 pairs of velvet flower-shaped pads (to prevent wrinkles) for light to medium flow, and 3 pairs of round organic bamboo pads for medium to heavy flow – rounds are made of the softest, breathable, organic, sustainably harvested bamboo which is ecologically friendly and washable, making our pads the best for mom, baby and the planet. No more wasting time in disposable pads that are costly and wasteful!
- COMFORTABLE & ULTRA-SOFT: Our pads have a custom-designed leak-proof backing, and are the best at preventing embarrassing leaks. Our pads are fully reusable and washable!
- VERSATILE: Pads can be used with or without your favorite nipple creams for ultimate comfort and our velvet Day-sies are especially soft and soothing for chafed or sore nipples and sensitive skin of nursing mothers.
Some nursing pads come in limited shapes and designs that leave you with milk leaks or wrinkled pads. These Eco Contoured Washable Reusable Bamboo Nursing Pads have every shape and size accounted for. This makes them some of the best reusable nursing pads available.
With two different pads, daytime and nighttime feedings are covered. During the day, the cute flower-shaped reusable nursing pads provide discreet absorbent coverage. The curved edges help prevent bunching and wrinkling in your bra.
At night, you’ll enjoy leak-free sleep with a special eco-friendly, contoured pad. The contoured shape fits closely to your breast like a bra cup. The thicker material is perfect for medium to heavy flow breast leaks.
These bamboo nursing pads are made from organic, sustainably sourced bamboo. This means they’re friendly to the environment and great for your sensitive nipples. The waterproof backing will keep the breast milk from soaking your bra.
When you are finished wearing these organic bamboo nursing pads, throw them in the wash and dry as normal. They even come with a mesh laundry bag to keep them safe from velcro or other abrasive materials.
If you have a heavy milk flow, you’ll need to change these nursing pads more often than disposable pads. If you’ll be out of the house often, you’ll also need to account for storing dirty reusable nursing pads until you get home to wash them.
Most Natural: TL Care Nursing Pads Made with Organic Cotton
- 5 layers of soft, absorbent fabric made with 100% organic cotton
- Organic cotton material contains natural cotton oils that need to be Pre-Washed Multiple Times before Fully Absorbent
- Does not contain any Waterproofing Protection. Machine wash and dry
Most nursing pads come with waterproof lining or plastic wrappers. For those wanting to avoid all plastics or unnatural materials, cotton might be your top pick. These TL Care Nursing Pads Made with Organic Cotton are the best nursing pads made with natural ingredients.
Cotton is a naturally absorbent material. But these cotton nursing pads are designed with 5 layers of organic cotton for superior absorption. For breastfeeding moms with an average let-down, these will prevent leaks and keep your bra from getting soaked.
If you have very sensitive skin or just prefer to stay as natural as possible, you’ll appreciate the lack of waterproof backing. For some, a leak-proof backing might even cause you to sweat. This is an unpleasant feeling and odor for all and is often worth the sacrifice to avoid.
You will need to change these organic nursing pads more often than brands using waterproof backing, and you might go through a few pairs a day. However, they are machine washable and easy to throw in with your baby’s laundry. These reusable pads might also not be absorbent enough for moms with a heavy let-down.
Most Trusted: Lansinoh Stay Dry Disposable Nursing Pads
- SUPERIOR ABSORBENCY FOR EXTRA CONFIDENCE – These pads absorb 20 times their weight to keep you confident and dry day and night
- RECOMMENDED BY MOMS – Convenient, easy to use, and very absorbent, Lansinoh nursing pads have an InvisiLock core to instantly capture and disperse moisture
- FREE OF FRAGRANCES – Also safe and comfortable for mom’s skin, plus BPA and BPS free
- INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED FOR CONVENIENCE – Hygienic wrapper keeps pads clean wherever you need to stash them
Ask any delivery room nurse what brand to trust for nipple creams or nursing pads. More than likely, they’ll tell you Lanisoh. A favorite in hospitals and lactation practices, these Lansinoh Stay Dry Disposable Nursing Pads won’t disappoint.
These individually wrapped, disposable nursing pads are known for their reliability. They can handle breast milk leakage up to 20 times their weight.
The super absorbent filling is made with the same ingredients as the inside of a diaper. So you’ll stay dry while the disposable pads do the heavy lifting.
Many nursing mothers report that their nursing pads don’t stay in place. These disposable nursing pads have sticky strips on the back that will stick to your bra. The extra hold will keep them from bunching up or sliding.
You’ll be pleased to know Lansinoh pads are latex, fragrance, and irritant-free. Making them safe for both your and your baby’s sensitive skin. Plus the material is ultra-soft for tender nipples.
Some moms reported the absorbent beads leaking out on occasion. You should know these beads are non-toxic and won’t harm you or your baby should that happen. These leaks also don’t happen often.
The quality and trusted name make this one of the best nursing pads to count on.
Most Thin: Medela Safe & Dry Ultra Thin Disposable Nursing Pads
- Medela is the #1 Physician Recommended Brand of Nursing Pads
- ABSORBENT, LEAKPROOF DESIGN FOR LOW TO MODERATE LEAKAGE: With an absorbent polymer core, waterproof back layer, and flexible leak guard, these disposable nursing pads protect from unexpected leakage while wicking away moisture so you can stay dry
- DISCREET BENEATH CLOTHING: With a wide adhesive strip that firmly secures our pads in place, our Safe & Dry Disposable Nursing Pads are optimized to fit the breast through a contoured, ultra-thin oval shape that provides protection you can rely on.Do not flush
- COMFORTABLE AND GENTLE AGAINST YOUR SKIN: Our hypoallergenic, natural-fiber honeycomb lining provides an exceptionally soft, comfortable barrier to moisture while protecting clothing and sheets from wetness; these pads are extra-gentle on sensitive skin
If discreet and comfortable is what you want in a disposable nursing pad, these are a hit. The Medela Safe and Dry Ultra Thin Disposable Nursing Pads come in an absorbent thin design.
This nursing pad is sleek and small, but don’t let that fool you. These nursing pads do a great job at absorbing breast milk. The polymer core and flexible leak guard protect from unwanted leaking.
What stands out about this design is the quilted honeycomb lining. This lining helps pull moisture away from your skin. This means you’ll have dry days without that damp, uncomfortable feeling.
Each pad is made to fit closely to your breast with a special contoured design. The lining is also hypoallergenic and safe for sensitive skin.
Known for reliability, most moms say they never leak day or night while using these Medela disposables. These pads are rated for a regular flow, however. So if you leak heavily, you might prefer a pad with higher absorption.
Some moms note that the thin design leaves a lot to be desired in comfort. These are not as plush or high-quality as some of their competitors. However, they still do a great job of absorbing and staying discreet.
Most Trendy: Hey Mama Disposable Nursing Pads
With an adorable box, catchy name, and impressive quality, these nursing pads are catching on. Hey Mama Disposable Nursing Pads have become a new household favorite for many nursing mothers.
Let’s start with why moms think these are the best disposable nursing pads. The padding is slightly thicker than most which means leaks are next to none. Many moms found these to be far more absorbent than competitor brands.
Though the padding is thick, they are also designed to fit closely to your breast. This keeps away any bulges or wrinkles that would show through your bra. The sturdy, adhesive strips are perfect for attaching to nursing bras or tanks to secure the hold.
One thing that stands out about this brand is the luxurious quality for the affordable price. These breast pads are ultra-soft and perfect for sore, cracked or dry nipples. With a smooth that won’t cause chaffing, you’ll love the affordable pricing.
Each pad is individually wrapped, making these easy to throw in a diaper bag. And if all of that wasn’t enough, the fun box makes these the best disposable nursing pads for baby shower gifts!
Best Alternative: LilyPadz Reusable Silicone Nursing Pads
- Comfortable, Discreet underneath clothing
- Prevents leaking rather than absorbing
- Sleep Braless, Go Strapless, Go Swimming
- 100% Medical Grade Silicone, Best Nursing Pads
Just when you thought you’d seen it all. Disposable pads, reusable bamboo pads, and now silicone pads? The LilyPadz Reusable Silicone Nursing Pads are a unique alternative to traditional nursing pads.
Have you ever tried to stop your breast milk from letting down by applying pressure? This is exactly how silicone pads work. These breast pads sit against your skin and apply gentle pressure to your nipples.
These reusable pads are made with skin-like medical-grade silicone. The contoured shape of the reusable pad keeps it in place so it can do its job—no adhesive strips are needed. When your breast milk begins to let down, the pad stops the milk before it has a chance to leak.
To clean these breast pads, you wash them by hand and allow them to air dry. Each pair can be reused for up to 2 months. After that, these reusable pads may lose their ability to stick tightly to your breasts.
You might want to wait until after the first few weeks of nursing to use these. Some mothers mentioned that these may hurt sore nipples when they are peeled off. However, for a nursing mother looking for an alternative to milk-soaked pads, these are the best nursing pads for the job.
Breastfeeding can be hard to get the hang of. From milk leaks to sore nipples, there is a lot to figure out. We’ve found that having the right nursing accessories can make all the difference.
These are a few of our favorite accessories for breastfeeding:
- Nipple cream for breastfeeding (To soothe sore nipples.)
- Pacifier (To give mom’s nipples a break.)
- Nursing Tank
- Nursing Bra
- Nipple Shield
Do I need nursing pads if I have a nursing bra?
Nursing bras are a great accessory for breastfeeding mothers. However, they serve a very different purpose than nursing pads.
Nursing bras are designed with a special hook that allows you to open the breast cups to expose your breasts. This makes nursing simple. However, nursing bras do not help prevent or soak up milk leaks.
Nursing pads are designed to fit right inside your bra and soak up any milk that leaks out as you nurse. Using these along with a nursing bra is a wise choice. The nursing bra will provide easy access for your baby and the nursing pads will keep you and your bra dry.
Many people assume breastfeeding and sleep training don’t go together, but it is possible to help your baby sleep better while continuing your breastfeeding journey.
Find out what comfort nursing is, when should you worry about it, and how to stop or limit your baby's comfort nursing (especially at night!).
Breastfeeding, Product Reviews
Whether you want a gentle rock, a smooth glide, or a cozy cuddle to soothe your baby to sleep, you’ll have your pick of the best breastfeeding chairs on the...