Whether you are a teacher, transcriber, or caregiver of a child with a visual impairment, this guide is intended to help you learn more about:
* the role of illustrations—both visual and tactile—in books for a young child
* challenges and limitations of tactile illustrations
* factors that contribute to well-designed tactile illustrations
* considerations that must be addressed in order to design meaningful tactile illustrations
* information supporting an overall sequence of difficulty for various types of tactile illustrations
* types of tactile illustrations and the tools and materials needed to create them
It is hoped discussion of these will assist you, whether you are designing tactile illustrations for an existing children’s book, a book you have created, or are evaluating tactile illustrations in tactile books produced by others.