Founded in 1983, the National Organization of Parents of Blind Children is a national membership organization of parents and friends of blind children reaching out to each other to give vital support, encouragement, and information. They have over 3,000 members in all 50 states and divisions or parent contacts in about 30 states plus Puerto Rico.
The purpose of the NOPBC is to:
* create a climate of opportunity for blind children in home and society.
* provide information and support to parents of blind children.
* facilitate the sharing of experience and concerns among parents of blind children.
* develop and expand resources available to parents and their children.
* help parents of blind children gain understanding and perspective through partnership and contact with blind adults.
* function as an integral part of the National Federation of the Blind in its ongoing effort to achieve equality and opportunity for all blind persons.