5 Best Baby Sandals of 2023
- The most important things to consider when buying baby and toddler sandals are fit, comfort, and safety.
- Look for baby and toddler sandals that are easy to take on and off, are waterproof or can be worn in water, and are machine washable or easy to clean.
- There are many cute and stylish options for summer baby shoes that support your baby’s foot, help them walk and run, and protect your baby’s toes.
There are lots of adorable baby shoes on the market, but the best baby sandals are cute and stylish, comfortable, safe to walk in, and easy to get on and off. Your baby’s feet are still developing, so it’s important that their shoes support their little feet properly.
Baby sandals that fit well and stay on securely will give your baby confidence to walk outdoors and give your toddler support for running and climbing. They should also provide you with peace of mind that your child won’t take any unnecessary tumbles on slippery or hard surfaces.
Of course, it also doesn’t hurt if those super cute baby shoes are easy to clean!
Take a look at our list of the five best baby sandals of 2023 so you and your baby have some fun in the sun!
Pediped Flex Canyon Water Sandal: Best Overall for Active Kids
We bought pediped sandals for our kids every summer of toddlerhood until they sized out of the big kid styles. A combination of sneakers, toddler sandals, and water shoes, their versatility ranks them among the best baby shoes.
Although they’re on the expensive side, the pediped Flex Canyon Water Sandals, like all pediped’s baby and toddler shoes, are incredibly durable, pediatrician recommended for growing feet, slip resistant, waterproof, and have super flexible soles.
These sandals can be worn in and out of the water for your trips to the beach or the lake. They also have velcro straps so they stay on securely. The closed rounded toe is perfect for protecting your little toddler’s toes on the run.
The flexible, eco-friendly, waterproof sole is very comfortable, lightweight, and virtually never wears out. In addition, they come in a huge variety of colors.
If your young toddler is always on the move, this is the perfect versatile sandal for the summer months and one of the best toddler sandals you’ll find.
Stride Rite Soft Motion Tobias First Walker: Best First Baby Sandal
- The footbed is crafted with memory foam for enhanced, superior comfort
- Oversized opening for easy on-and-off, also suitable for wider feet
- Adjustable hook-and-loop closure ensures a comfortable, easy fit
- special treatment to help reduce odors
The Stride Rite Soft Motion range of shoes for new walkers proves why Stride Rite is known as a trusted name for the best baby shoes. The Soft Motion Tobias First Walker is the perfect first sandal for a baby who’s just started walking in the summer months.
It has a slip-resistant rubber sole, closed toe, and an oversized opening with easy hook and loop closure, so they’re easy to slip onto wriggly, chubby little feet.
The American Podiatric Medical Association approves them, too, so parents should feel reassured that they’re buying a safe baby shoe made of high quality material. They also have a memory foam footbed for comfort and are odor resistant.
These Stride Rite first shoes can be expensive, especially considering that your baby will only wear them for a few short months. However, as a first baby sandal, these are a great choice.
Crocs Classic Clog: Best for Ease of Use
- Kids Shoes: Just like the adult Classic Crocs, the kids’ version offers the same great shoe for youngsters. Easy on and easy off makes these the pair of Crocs kids need.
- Versatile and Comfortable: Incredibly light and easy to wear, these girls’ and boys’ Crocs are created with Croslite foam for Iconic Crocs Comfort. The flexible material is sure to be loved by all.
- What Size Should I Buy?: These kids’ Crocs offer a roomy fit and we recommend ordering a size down to the next largest whole size.
- Make Them Your Own: These girls’ and boys’ Crocs offer a roomy and generous fit that is sure to match every foot. The kids’ Crocs can be customized with Jibbitz charms to reflect their own personal flair.
Crocs are universally loved by parents and kids alike and for a good reason. The Crocs Classic Clog comes in almost every color of the rainbow, is lightweight, comfortable, and instantly becomes the favorite shoe of every little kid who tries them on.
The Child Classic Clog comes in sizes for toddlers ages one and up, while the Classic Littles Clog comes in even smaller sizes for infant feet.
- CROCS FOR EVERYONE: Just like the adult Classic Crocs, the baby version offers the same great shoe for youngsters. Easy on and easy off makes these the pair of Crocs kids need.
- VERSATILE AND COMFORTABLE: Incredibly light and easy to wear, these girls’ and boys’ Crocs are created with Croslite foam for Iconic Crocs Comfort. The flexible material is sure to be loved by all.
- WHAT SIZE SHOULD I BUY?: These baby Crocs offer a roomy fit and we recommend ordering a size up to the next largest whole size.
- MAKE THEM YOUR OWN: These girls’ and boys’ Crocs offer a roomy and generous fit that is sure to match every foot. The kids’ Crocs can be customized with Jibbitz charms to reflect their own personal flair.
Crocs are easy for children to put on themselves, can be worn in and out of the water, and are very lightweight and easy for parents to clean. They’re great shoes for the beach and the backyard.
While the strap does a good job of holding on to little feet, be aware that these shoes are not the best for long walks, running, or climbing on playgrounds. Many daycares and nursery schools don’t allow them for that reason.
However, as a summer shoe for going out and about and having fun in the sun, you’ll find a pair of Crocs very useful.
Native Shoes Jefferson Sneaker: Best Slip-on Shoes
- Water-friendly, fast drying, lightweight foam
- Easy clean
A great alternative to Crocs which can be worn all day, the Jefferson Sneaker by Native Shoes checks a lot of boxes.
These Native Shoes are a cross between sandals and sneakers, so your toddler can run in the playground and get them wet by the pool.
These shoes are easy for toddlers to slip on themselves to encourage independence, and they can be worn with or without socks as they’re made with eco-friendly, breathable material. They come in a huge variety of colors and prints and have sizes for infants up to big kids.
One drawback of the Jefferson Sneaker is that it runs narrow and tends to suit kids with long, thin feet. You’ll need to size up if your child needs a wide fit.
Simple Joys by Carter’s Frankie Sandal: Best Budget Summer Baby Shoes
- Boy’s everyday fishermen sandals with hook and loop closure
- Strapped styling
- Hook and loop closure for easy on-and-off
Given how frequently you’ll find yourself buying shoes for your little baby’s feet, it’s good to know there’s a high quality, budget option available.
The Simple Joys by Carter’s Frankie Sandal is perfect for little ones who have just started to walk and don’t yet need all of the versatile features of more expensive baby and toddler sandals.
Parents are pleased with the quality of these sandals for the price and report that their kids are happy trying out their new walking skills in these shoes.
Keep in mind that they have synthetic, non-slip rubber soles and a synthetic leather upper, which may mean that they’re not very breathable in the hot summer months.
Yet, as a pair of first shoes for summer, these do the trick at a budget-friendly price.
Age Range: 0-1 year | Material: 100% Synthetic | APMA Approved?: No
View on Amazon
When Can Your Baby Wear Sandals?
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommends that babies start wearing shoes when they start walking outdoors, generally around their first birthday.
Before they start walking, it’s better for the development of your baby’s feet not to be confined in shoes. Baby socks are sufficient until they begin to walk.
If your baby is walking outdoors in the hotter summer months, keep in mind the AAP’s recommendations that shoes for young walkers should:
- Have closed-toes.
- Be comfortable without the need for being broken in.
- Be flexible.
- Have non skid soles.
- Have room to grow.
While sneakers are the best choice for young walkers, there are plenty of summer styles that fulfill these criteria while still being cute and stylish.
Older toddlers and experienced walkers can wear open-toed sandals like flip flops. However, younger toddlers still getting the hang of walking need more coverage, stability, and protection.
Parent’s Guide to Buying Baby Sandals
When buying baby sandals, you should take into account the following to help you decide on the best choice:
|Your child’s age|
|Appropriate to their activity level|
How Do You Know if Your Baby’s Sandals Fit?
Knowing what size to buy for your baby or how to find the perfect fit can be difficult. Some companies size shoes by age, which may not apply to your child. Many shoes also have varying sizes from the UK and Europe printed on them, which can be confusing.
Ill-fitting shoes can also cause damage to your developing toddler’s feet. Tight shoes can constrict foot muscles and lead to pain, irritation, and ingrown toenails. Shoes that are too big can lead to more tripping and falling, which is already a big part of your child learning to walk.
The American Podiatric Medical Association makes the following recommendations for finding the right size for your child:
- Have your child’s feet measured while standing, preferably in the afternoon or evening, because feet swell during the day.
- Buy shoes according to your child’s measurements and not their age.
- When your child tries the shoes on, make sure they’re not slipping off at the heel.
- If your child has one foot that’s larger than the other, buy the larger size.
Braille and Literacy, Product Reviews, Visual Impairment
Dana Meachen Rau's book, Sense of Play, follows the adventures of Chip and Joy as they play. Chip is blind, but this doesn't get in the way of their play!
Wondering whether white noise will help your little one sleep better? Here’s our guide to the best baby sound machines to help your baby fall asleep soundly.
Heard a lot about weighted blankets and lap pads and wondering how to choose one? Here’s our guide to the ins and outs of finding the right weighted blanket.