Best Baby Sound Machines for Soothing Sleep
- White noise has been proven to help newborns fall asleep faster.
- Baby sound machines produce white noise to help block out environmental sounds that may distract or overstimulate babies and young children and disturb their sleep.
- Many sound machines on the market offer different kinds of sound in addition to other useful features, like night lights, sleep training clocks, or Bluetooth speakers.
- It’s important to be mindful of the volume of any noise machine to protect your baby’s hearing.
- It is also important to help your child learn to self-soothe to fall asleep, so they do not become dependent on the sound machine in all sleep settings.
While parents in the past may have turned on a fan or a vacuum cleaner to help soothe their crying, sleepy babies, today’s parents have a lot more choices when it comes to creating a soothing sleep environment for their little ones.
Newborns are often comforted by white noise and heartbeat sounds which may remind them of their time in the womb and make them feel safer and less anxious.
Scientists have also found that white noise blocks out external stimuli to make getting to sleep easier and faster without distracting or overwhelming babies with external noise from the environment.
So if your child is struggling to get to sleep and stay asleep, a white noise machine might be able to help. There are so many options on the market, today’s babies are spoiled for choice when it comes to soothing sounds for sleep.
Take a look at our picks for the best baby sound machines for soothing sleep.
Hatch Rest Baby Sound Machine: Best Overall
- Our latest, updated Rest 2nd gen sound machine is now Wi-Fi enabled, with dimmable clock and even more features for dreamy sleep!
- Sound Machine. Your Rest 2nd gen comes fully loaded with expert curated sleep sounds like white noise, ocean, wind, fan, heartbeat, rain, lullabies and more to keep your little one dreaming through the night. To access even more content, including sleep stories, modern lullabies, mini mindfulness moments and more, give Hatch+ membership a try! Subscription sold separately in app; free trial included.
- Smart Night Light. Fun, bedside lamp with infinite custom color hues. Perfect for boys or girls. Illuminate the crib and changing table to ease nighttime infant feedings. Make the dark less scary in your child’s room with a calming glow.
- Time-to-Rise & Time-for-Bed. Program color and sound to let your early riser know when to stay in bed and when it’s ok to wake up. Build a routine to train your little one to wind down for naps and bedtime.
The Hatch Rest Baby Sound Machine does so much more than just make white noise. If you’re looking for a multi-purpose, multi-functional sleeping device that you can use with your kids from infancy to toddlerhood, this is it.
The Hatch Baby Rest includes many sounds including different kinds of white noise, nature sounds like ocean waves, and lullabies. You can expand the library of music and sound through an additional Hatch Sleep Membership.
Not only is it a good sound machine with a lot of variation, but it’s also a lovely night light, with a range of color options which can also aid and promote better sleep.
The clock includes a time-to-rise feature, which changes color to help early-rising toddlers understand when it’s time to stay in bed and when it’s time to get up.
The Hatch Rest is also portable and rechargeable so you can take it with you on car trips and vacations or wherever you may need it.
Although it’s expensive, when you consider how much you might end up spending on purchasing separate night lights, sleep training clocks, and sound machines, it may be worth your while to have all these functions in one device.
Dreamegg White Noise Machine: Best Portable White Noise Machine
- 【COMPACT BUT POWERFUL】- D11 Max has more skills. Designed for all things sleep, this sound machine comes with favorable features: rechargeable battery, 21 soothing sounds, customized timers, various volume levels, child-lock for safety, and even memory functions! It is not only a sleep soother sound machine for baby kids, but also an effective white noise machine for adults sleeping & relaxation.
- 【HUGE BATTERY, WORRY-FREE ON THE GO】- Everything D11 max has, PLUS a LONG-LASTING battery. The portable sound machine is built with unbeatable1800mAh battery compared with 500mAh of others. Easily lasts through the night and into daytime naps on a single charge. For parents who are worried about baby getting naps on the go and especially when the power goes out, it is definitely a life saver! Battery is built in (comes with a USB-C cord to charge) so no need to worry about buying any.
- 【HELPS SETTLE-IN & STAY ASLEEP】- Moms know how precious sleep can be. Turn it on to create peaceful sleep environment to help crying baby calm down and stay asleep. Choose from selected 21 soothing sounds including classic white noise sounds, to baby lullabies and nature sounds. Fall asleep easier and stay asleep longer with this baby sound machine.
- 【ULTRA PORTABLE AND CORDLESS】 – D11 Max make magic happen for better sleep anywhere. Small and lightweight makes it a perfect travel noise machine. It is extremely convenient when you are packing around so much stuff whether for a baby or for your travel. With a lanyard and loop, you can easily hang it on the stroller or car seat or suitcase. Take it along in the car, on walks, hotel stays, business trips to enjoy portable freedom.
The Dreamegg White Noise Machine is a low-cost, portable, baby white noise machine that you’ll want to take with you everywhere.
The Dreamegg is small and comes with an easy-to-use lanyard, so you can attach it to your baby’s stroller or car seat. With its long lasting rechargeable battery, you don’t have to worry about it running out of steam when you’re on the go.
Despite the price and simplicity of the Dreamegg, it’s far from basic. It has six different white noise options including fan sounds, seven baby noise options, and eight natural sounds, so you’re sure to find your baby’s favorite.
It’s easy to throw this device in your diaper bag. Although it doesn’t offer a night light, its buttons do glow in the dark for nighttime use. As far as baby noise machines go, the Dreamegg is a great portable sound machine option.
Yogasleep Duet White Sound Machine and Night Light: Best Sound Machine with Bluetooth Speaker
- Wireless speaker functionality: Stream your favorite sleep soundtrack, podcast, or music from your smartphone directly to the Duet speaker
- 30 non-looping sounds plus sleep timer: Robust sound options include 2 Dohm signature sounds, fan sounds, white noise, brown noise, pink noise, 9 nature sounds, relaxation tracks, and calming classically-inspired lullabies. Set the sleep timer to 45 minutes, 90 minutes, or 8 hours
- Warm night light: Soft amber night light with gradient brightness perfect for infant nighttime feedings and growing with your child
- Modern look: Streamlined unit combines sound machine, night light, and wireless speaker in one device; keeps bedside area tidy
So often we buy baby gear that doesn’t really have a purpose or look that we can use beyond the baby years. However, the Yogasleep Duet White Sound Machine is a brilliant device that everyone in the family will find a use for well after it’s outgrown by your baby.
The Yogasleep Duet includes 30 different sounds, a timer, and a soothing amber night light with adjustable brightness.
The genius of it is that it also includes an integrated Bluetooth speaker, so it can be used by anyone in your family as a portable speaker to play your music, sounds, or podcasts.
Once your baby has mastered getting to sleep, the modern look of this small sound machine will fit in anywhere else in your home where you may want to use it. This is one sound machine that is worth the investment because of its potential long-term use.
Homedics SoundSleep White Noise Sound Machine: Best Basic White Noise Machine
- White Noise Sound Machine: The Homedics White Noise Sound Machine includes 6 digitally recorded relaxing sounds designed to mimic the natural environment: White Noise, Thunder, Ocean, Rain, Summer Night, and Brook
- Compact and Portable: This portable sound machine is lightweight, compact, and easily fits into your purse, bag, or suitcase
- Baby Sleep Aid: Add these rhythmic sounds to your baby’s sleep routine to help them fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer; it makes the perfect baby sound machine and baby registry must-have
- Auto-Off Timer and Volume Controls: Choose to play relaxation sounds on this ambient sound machine continuously or opt for the auto-off timer; the timer features 3 options: 15, 30, or 60 minutes; adjust the volume with convenient volume control buttons
If you’re looking for a basic sound machine without all of the complicated bells, apps, and whistles, the Homedics SoundSleep White Noise Sound Machine is an inexpensive way to get the job done.
The Homedics SoundSleep machine offers six basic sounds, including white noise, ocean sounds, thunder and rain. It has a timer and adjustable volume. It’s portable, lightweight, and slim.
Although it’s not as aesthetically sleek and attractive as other machines, and some users feel that the sound quality could be improved, at this price point, it does exactly what you need the best baby sound machine to do.
SNOOZ Smart White Noise Machine: Best for Checking Nursery Volume
- Peaceful, non-looping white noise from a real fan (without the cold air)
- Travel friendly, portable design
- Fully adjustable tone & volume (10 settings) for babies, kids, adults, and even pets
- Applications include loud neighbors, city street noise, office privacy, tinnitus, snoring, barking dogs, and noisy hotel rooms
The SNOOZ Smart White Machine is different to its competitors. Rather than using recorded white noise on a loop and sending it through a speaker, the white noise of the SNOOZ is produced by a fan inside the device.
The makers of the SNOOZ claim that their white noise is better as it comes from the actual source and users don’t have to put up with glitchy sound coming through low quality speakers.
Also, as the noise is natural and random, your brain does not stay active trying to detect the pattern that other white noise machines produce.
What also makes the SNOOZ stand out is the app that you can use to set its timer and night light. Importantly, it also calibrates the level of noise in your baby’s nursery, an important feature that other sound machines don’t offer.
The SNOOZ is nice looking, portable, and easy to use. It’s one of the most expensive sound machines on this list, which is surprising given that it only offers one sound.
However, users of this machine claim that the white noise is of higher quality than with other machines and therefore it’s worth the price.
Echo Dot 5th Gen: Best for Versatility
- OUR BEST SOUNDING ECHO DOT YET – Enjoy an improved audio experience compared to any previous Echo Dot with Alexa for clearer vocals, deeper bass and vibrant sound in any room.
- YOUR FAVORITE MUSIC AND CONTENT – Play music, audiobooks, and podcasts from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify and others or via Bluetooth throughout your home.
- ALEXA IS HAPPY TO HELP – Ask Alexa for weather updates and to set hands-free timers, get answers to your questions and even hear jokes. Need a few extra minutes in the morning? Just tap your Echo Dot to snooze your alarm.
- KEEP YOUR HOME COMFORTABLE – Control compatible smart home devices with your voice and routines triggered by built-in motion or indoor temperature sensors. Create routines to automatically turn on lights when you walk into a room, or start a fan if the inside temperature goes above your comfort zone.
If you already have an Echo Dot for your Alexa, you might be thrilled to learn that you can download free white noise sounds to use for your baby at bedtime so that you can use it as a sound machine.
It has great quality sound, and as your child gets older, you can stream unlimited lullabies and stories.
The voice-activated Echo is easy to use and offers lots of sound options. However, it’s not specifically designed for nursery use, so you may want to keep it out of reach of your toddlers.
The Echo has a modern design, but if you’re looking for something that suits your nursery decor, check out the Echo Dot Kids.
- ECHO DOT KIDS – Our most popular and cutest smart speaker with Alexa, made for kids (not a toy). The improved speaker delivers clearer vocals and rich, vibrant sound.
- WHERE LEARNING MEETS FUN – Kids can ask Alexa to play music, read a bedtime story, get help with their homework, and more. Stream songs from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, and others.
- INCLUDES 1 YEAR OF AMAZON KIDS+ – A digital subscription designed for kids aged 3-12 to safely learn, grow, and explore. On Echo Dot, kids can enjoy kid-friendly Audible books, interactive games, fun Morning Routines, and educational Alexa skills. After 1 year, your subscription will automatically renew every month starting at just $4.99/month plus applicable tax. You may cancel any time by visiting the Amazon Parent Dashboard or contacting Customer Service.
- EASY-TO-USE PARENTAL CONTROLS – Alexa will automatically give kid-friendly responses and filter explicit songs. You can also set daily time limits and review activity in the Amazon Parent Dashboard.
While it doesn’t have the baby features of other sound machines, like a night light or sleep training clock, the long-term, multi-use device can be used by multiple members of your family for years to come.
Momcozy Baby Sound Machine: Best Budget Multipurpose Machine
- 【Multiple Soothing Sounds】34 high-fidelity sounds (11 white noises, 3 fan sounds,8 lullabies and 12 nature sounds) ,40~110dB, let you choose the ideal background to mask intruding noises and create the perfect environment for work, study, sleep or an upset baby.
- 【Night Light】An adjustable, soft LED luminous lamp provides sufficient, but not too harsh, light for your bedroom at midnight. There are also 7 color light offerings, Baby sound machine is perfect as a nightstand lamp, baby nursery light, relaxing lamp, romantic atmosphere light etc.
- 【Convenient to use】Smart light can be adjusted remotely via phone, can be tapped on manually as needed or soft-touch. Control remotely via the free companion app. Device requires Wi-Fi.(Please be aware to use a 2.4G network, 5G wifi is not compatible.)Please note：needs to be plugged in for use.
- 【Sleep Better】With sound machine, enjoy soothing content to help you wind down and prepare your mind & body for sleep. Personalize a sleep-wake routine to help you fall asleep, stay asleep & wake up refreshed.
The Momcozy Baby Sound Machine provides many of the features of more expensive competitors but at a more reasonable price.
The Momcozy provides 34 sounds with a range of white noise, nature sounds, and lullabies to choose from. It also has an LED night light with seven relaxing and soothing color options. In addition, it has an auto shut-off timer and alarm clock.
Like its more expensive counterparts, the Momcozy can be controlled via an app on your smartphone. It also has a clever sleep routine feature which allows you to customize sound, color, volume and brightness to an automatic sleep schedule based on your and your baby’s preferences.
Parents have found that the charging cord can be temperamental and that charging of the device can be inconsistent. However, with so many other great features, the Momcozy is definitely worth a try.
What Are Baby Sound Machines?
Baby sound machines range from simple white noise machines to advanced nighttime devices with multiple features including different sound options, heartbeat sounds, music, night lights, and sleep training clocks.
However, the basic premise is the same. A baby sound machine produces soothing, quiet, calming sounds which block out other environmental noises and comforts your baby to help them fall asleep and stay asleep.
Baby sound machines may offer three kinds of ambient sounds that lull babies to sleep:
- White noise: like static from a television or radio which mimics the sound of the womb
- Brown noise: which has a lower frequency than white noise, like rainfall or thunder
- Pink noise: like white noise but more consistent with lower frequency, like a waterfall
These types of noise are especially effective for infant sleep. A baby sound machine may also offer a number of sounds which appeal to children as they get older like nature sounds or soft music.
Do Sound Machines Help Babies Sleep?
In 1990, a study in the Archives of Disease in Childhood11. Spencer, J. A., Moran, D. J., Lee, A., & Talbert, D.. White noise and sleep induction. Archives of Disease in Childhood. 1990;65(1), 135–137. https://doi.org/10.1136/adc.65.1.135 found that among very young newborns, 80% fell asleep within five minutes of exposure to white noise.
Researchers concluded that because the white noise masked other noise in the environment, it removed extra stimuli and calmed the babies, allowing them to fall asleep faster.
It is also widely theorized that white noise mimics the environmental noise of the womb which young infants find comforting. Young babies may feel safe and less anxious when they hear heartbeat sounds which remind them of the womb environment that they left behind.
Practically, white noise machines can mask street noise, loud older siblings, or other household noises during naptime and bedtime, removing distractions and making it easier for your baby to fall asleep.
They can be helpful in sleep training and create a soothing sleep environment as part of the bedtime routine, signaling to your child that it is time for sleep.
Are there negative effects of using baby sound machines?
While baby sound machines can be very helpful when your baby has difficulty with sleep, there are factors you should also be aware of when using them.
Volume and Hearing Development
The American Academy of Pediatrics22. American Academy of Pediatrics Sounds the Alarm on Excessive Noise and Risks to Children’s Hearing in Updated Policy Statement. American Academy of Pediatrics. 2023. https://www.aap.org/en/news-room/news-releases/conference-news-releases/american-academy-of-pediatrics-sounds-the-alarm-on-excessive-noise-and-risks-to-childrens-hearing-in-updated-policy-statement cautions parents to be mindful of the volume of baby sound machines to ensure that frequent exposure to the noise will not damage their child’s hearing in the long term.
An AAP study in 201433. Hugh, S. C., Wolter, N. E., Propst, E. J., Gordon, K. A., Cushing, S. L., & Papsin, B. C.. Infant Sleep Machines and Hazardous Sound Pressure Levels. Pediatrics. 2014;133(4), 677–681. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2013-3617 found that many baby sound machines are capable of producing sound above 50 decibels, which is the upper noise limit for babies in hospital nurseries.
Pediatricians recommend that if you use a baby sound machine, you should keep it at least seven feet away from where your baby is sleeping and keep the volume below the maximum setting.
Dependence on Sound Machines for Sleep
Another potential disadvantage of sound machines is that your baby could become reliant on white noise or other ambient noise in order to fall asleep.
Your child could develop a sleep association which means that when they are without the sound machine, for example, in a daycare setting at naptime, they may struggle to fall asleep or not sleep at all, creating another host of problems.
If you use the white noise machine at all nap times and bedtimes, your child may become overtired and fight sleep when you’re on vacation, visiting relatives, or in any other setting where they don’t have the machine.
Like rocking or holding your baby until they fall asleep, if you use the baby sound machine consistently, your baby may become dependent on it for sleep. Trying to sleep train your baby or teach them to self-soothe and learn to sleep on their own may become very difficult.
How to Choose the Best Baby Sound Machine
There are so many baby sound machines on the market, ranging from basic white noise machines to advanced devices with other features, like night lights or clocks.
Consider the following when shopping for a baby sound machine:
|Usability and Practicality|
|Price and Warranty|
- Spencer, J. A., Moran, D. J., Lee, A., & Talbert, D. (1990). White noise and sleep induction. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 65(1), 135–137. https://doi.org/10.1136/adc.65.1.135
- American Academy of Pediatrics Sounds the Alarm on Excessive Noise and Risks to Children’s Hearing in Updated Policy Statement. American Academy of Pediatrics. (2023, October 21). https://www.aap.org/en/news-room/news-releases/conference-news-releases/american-academy-of-pediatrics-sounds-the-alarm-on-excessive-noise-and-risks-to-childrens-hearing-in-updated-policy-statement
- Hugh, S. C., Wolter, N. E., Propst, E. J., Gordon, K. A., Cushing, S. L., & Papsin, B. C. (2014). Infant Sleep Machines and Hazardous Sound Pressure Levels. Pediatrics, 133(4), 677–681. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2013-3617
Braille and Literacy, Product Reviews, Visual Impairment
Dana Meachen Rau's book, Sense of Play, follows the adventures of Chip and Joy as they play. Chip is blind, but this doesn't get in the way of their play!
Heard a lot about weighted blankets and lap pads and wondering how to choose one? Here’s our guide to the ins and outs of finding the right weighted blanket.
Looking for the right night light to help your little one ease into bedtime? Check out our guide for everything you need to know about toddler night lights.