9 Best Postnatal Vitamins of 2023
- Postnatal vitamins are important for keeping both you and your baby healthy.
- Taking a daily postnatal vitamin can help to ensure that you get all of the nutrients you need every day.
- Mothers who breastfeed or pump will pass vitamins along to their baby through their breast milk.
- Even if you aren’t breastfeeding, the extra nutrients in a postnatal vitamin will help with recovering from pregnancy and delivery.
- Look for vitamins containing iron, calcium, vitamin D, DHA, and folate.
During your pregnancy, you were probably told that it was important to take daily prenatal vitamins. You might not know that it is also important to take postnatal vitamins after you deliver your baby.
Both prenatal and postnatal vitamins are essential for keeping yourself and your baby healthy. Many of the key vitamins you take are transferred to your baby through breast milk, helping you support your baby after giving birth.
Even if you eat a healthy diet, it can be difficult to get all the nutrients you need every day, especially for busy and breastfeeding women. A high quality postnatal vitamin will help you get key nutrients during your postnatal period to support your own health as well as the health of your baby.
Here, we will help you find the 9 best postnatal vitamins of 2023.
Our Choice: Zahler Prenatal Vitamin
- NEW & IMPROVED FORMULA – Methylfolate is body-ready and eliminates the risk of unmetabolized Folic Acid. The natural form of folate found in Zahler prenatal vitamin is required by a large percentage of women.
- PRENATAL VITAMIN WITH DHA – Many women do not have enough DHA for themselves, let alone enough DHA for two. A DHA supplement is vital for women in their child bearing stage. Includes 300mg of DHA plus 25 vitamins and nutrients.
- EASY TO SWALLOW SOFTGELS – Softgels are easier to swallow during pregnancy and unlike prenatal vitamin gummies, have no taste or texture. Zahler prenatal vitamins with DHA provide premium nutrition for mother and child in optimal absorption ratios.
- PURITY GUARANTEED – Zahler is committed to crafting only the best prenatal vitamins. Made in the USA in a state of the art GMP Certified facility. Trustworthy non-GMO, gluten-free, and dairy-free ingredients with no artificial colors or preservatives.
Overall, Zahler prenatal vitamins have the best combination of nutrients, all of which are highly absorbable. These postnatal vitamins contain all of the most common vitamins and minerals, with the addition of DHA and iron. Zahler is an easy to swallow pill that only needs to be taken once a day, and it is not much more expensive than the cheapest options.
Zahler vitamins are the best postnatal vitamins for mothers having problems with fatigue and anemia. Besides containing all of the common vitamins and minerals found in other postnatal vitamins, these vitamins provide 100% of the daily recommendation of iron, but it comes in a more easily absorbable form. This helps prevent side effects of high iron intake like constipation and nausea.
Customer reviews do mention that the pills have a fishy aftertaste that can be hard to get rid of. Taking the pills with a glass of juice or food may help.
Ritual Postnatal Vitamins
- Essential for Women Postnatal Multivitamin is for the arrival of a mother’s new nutrient needs. It’s formulated with 15 key nutrients for 6 months postpartum, and throughout lactation. Our formula is vegan, sugar-free, gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free, and formulated without stevia, sugar alcohols, and artificial colors, flavors, or sweeteners. Each serving provides 350mg of Omega-3 DHA.*
- Made Traceable: Our world-class scientists scoured the globe for high quality ingredients when formulating Essential for Women Postnatal Multivitamin. Our formula includes Vitamin D3 made from sustainably-sourced lichen found in the UK – for bone support, Vitamin A made through fermentation, from Israel – for antioxidant support, Sustainably-sourced Vitamin C from Scotland – for immune support, and Omega-3 DHA from microalgae discovered in Nova Scotia – for heart support.*
- Non-GMO Project Verified: We trust NSF, one of the world’s leading certifying bodies to verify Essential for Women Postnatal Multivitamin. The Non-GMO Project verification guided by NSF experts assures customers that products have been produced according to best practices for GMO avoidance.
- Smart Capsule: Innovative nested capsule technology acts like a barrier system to keep fat soluble and water soluble forms separated, within a single capsule, so key ingredients can be taken in one serving. Our delayed-release capsules are designed to dissolve later in the small intestine, an ideal place to absorb nutrients. Plus we add a mint tab to every bottle so taking your multivitamin daily can be a more enjoyable experience.*
Ritual vitamins are vegan, non-GMO, and dye free multivitamins that you can feel good about taking. They contain vitamin E, B12, D, C, and A, folate, iron, DHA, and other important nutrients for you and your baby.
These vitamins also come in a time-release capsule, making them less likely to cause nausea.
If you buy these directly from their website, Ritual offers free shipping on their products as well as a money-back guarantee if you are not satisfied with their vitamin.
Seeking Health Optimal Prenatal Chewables
- Prenatal Support Supplement: Designed to meet women’s high nutritional needs, Prenatal Essentials Chewable contains the most bioavailable forms of folate, which is crucial for healthy fetal brain development, immune health, and cell function
- Digestive Comfort: Prenatal Essentials Chewable contains milk thistle and active B6 to promote digestive comfort, along with both folinic acid and L-5-MTHF for healthy methylation. Our chewable vitamin is iron-free for maximum versatility
- Comprehensive formula: Ideal for those wanting a well-rounded multivitamin in a chewable form, our comprehensive prenatal includes vitamins A, C, B6, B12, coenzyme Q10, riboflavin, and L-5-MTHF. Our balanced formula supports normal energy and cell creation
- Free from: Eggs, fish, gluten, GMO, milk, peanuts, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, wheat, artificial colors, artificial flavors, and artificial preservatives
If you have a difficult time swallowing pills, these Seeking Health Chewable tablets might be a good option. Unlike other chewable pills, these do not contain any added sugar. They are also vegetarian friendly and gluten-free.
Seeking health vitamins contain Vitamins C, A, B6, B12, D, and E, Iodine, Calcium, Zinc, and Magnesium. They do not contain iron, which makes them easier on the stomach, but ineffective for mothers struggling with anemia.
One A Day Postnatal Complete Multivitamin
- Specially formulated to support: Healthy Metabolism; Brain Function; Physical Energy; Immune Health; Hair, Skin & Nails; Breastfeeding
- Product Note: Exposure to heat or sunlight may lead to melting/damage of product. Hence customers are expected to be available during the product delivery
- One A Day Postnatal meets the increased nutritional requirements of breastfeeding women providing nutritional support for mom and baby
- With key essential vitamins and minerals to support mom’s energy and immunity, and with omega-3 DHA to support baby’s brain and eye development.
One A Day Postnatal Vitamin contains the essential vitamins and minerals you need to keep yourself healthy during your postpartum period.
One A Day vitamins are one of the least expensive options for prenatal and postnatal vitamins. They are gluten-free and free from synthetic color, but they do contain fish and soy.
While the fish oils mean they are not good for strict vegetarian or vegan mothers, the fish oil does support healthy brain development in breastfeeding babies and healthy skin, hair, and nails for mom.
Root’d Prenatal Multivitamin
Root’d postnatal vitamins are actually a powder that you can mix to make a drink. Great for moms who have a hard time swallowing pills, this drink mix contains 25 essential vitamins and minerals as well as electrolytes and a probiotic.
Root’d is sweetened with Stevia, and many moms enjoy the sweet lemon berry flavor.
This supplement is slightly more expensive than the other products, but some mothers feel that the added probiotic and electrolytes to support digestive enzymes are worth the higher cost.
Nature Made Postnatal + DHA
- 20 KEY NUTRIENTS FOR BABY & MOM: This postnatal multivitamin is formulated with essential vitamins and minerals to provide nutritional support for mom and baby during breastfeeding.
- Product Note: Exposure to heat or sunlight may lead to melting/damage of product. Hence customers are expected to be available during the product delivery
- SPECIALLY FORMULATED POSTNATAL VITAMINS FOR BREASTFEEDING MOMS: Contains higher amounts of vitamins A, C, D and E compared to our Prenatal Multi + DHA to meet increased demands during this unique period of life.
- OMEGA-3S TO SUPPORT BABY’S BRAIN AND EYES: DHA is an important Omega-3 fatty acid that helps support fetal brain and eye development.
Nature Made postnatal vitamins contain Vitamins A, C, D, E, and K, as well as zinc, iron, iodine, biotin, and omega 3 fatty acids. It is inexpensive and free of artificial flavors and gluten.
Like other supplements with DHA, many moms report a strong fishy aftertaste when taking these vitamins.
TheraNatal Lactation Complete Postnatal Supplement
- Nourishing Postnatal Vitamin: A complete blend of essential vitamins and minerals for new mothers*
- Effective Breastfeeding Supplements: This postnatal multivitamin supplement supports nutrient support for both mom and baby with key ingredients such as DHA, choline, methylated folate, and more*
- Comprehensive Lactation Supplement: Contains 160 mcg (6,400 IU) of vitamin D3, eliminating the need for infant vitamin D drops*
- Purity Tested: Our USA-manufactured supplements are independently verified for potency and purity by NSF; gluten-free, artificial dye-free, dairy-free, and made with premium ingredients
TheraNatal supplements contain all of the most common postnatal vitamins and minerals, with extra vitamin D to support babies of breastfeeding mothers. TheraNatal uses high quality ingredients and is free from gluten, dairy, and artificial dyes.
TheraNatal specifically designed their prenatal vitamins for breastfeeding.
TheraNatal supplements come in sets of three. You have to take two pills plus one capsule together to get all of the essential nutrients together. TheraNatal is also one of the more expensive postnatal vitamin brands.
SmartyPants Prenatal Formula
- Prenatal Formula with new premium ingredients, all in one delicious serving: Beta Carotene, Vitamin B6, Vitamin K2 & Choline (Packaging May Vary).
- 18 essential nutrients: folate (methylfolate) for fetal development, vitamin D3 for immunity, vitamin B12 to support energy metabolism, omega-3 EPA/DHA (from fish oil), vitamin K for bones.*
- Gummy multivitamin for prenatal women also with iodine to support the fetal nervous system and normal brain development during pregnancy.*
- New serving size! For adult women, take four (4) gummies daily with or without food.
SmartyPants postnatal vitamins contain 18 essential nutrients including DHA and folate. They are great tasting chewable gummies, and many mothers with sensitive stomachs say that this is the only type of postnatal vitamin their stomachs can handle.
A serving of SmartyPants vitamins is four gummies, which can feel like eating a little treat every morning.
SmartyPants gummies do not include any iron, so they are not the best choice for anemic mothers.
Glow Prenatal Vitamins
- Scientifically backed support: Premium prenatal vitamin with 25 lab-tested, vital nutrients; these vitamins and minerals enhanced to be more bioavailable support optimal development for baby
- Targeted prenatal complex: Prenatal vitamins with DHA and folic acid paired with super ingredients TRAACS chelated minerals, and myo-inositol; made for sensitive stomach with ginger and vanilla for a more pleasant pregnancy, even during your 1st trimester
- Everything you need, nothing you don’t: Prenatal Glow multivitamin capsules contain a cGMP-certified blend; completely cruelty-free with no fillers, binders, artificial ingredients, gluten or wheat for clean pregnancy support
- Usage instructions: Take 2 easy-to-swallow vegetarian capsules daily with a meal and water to help support a healthy pregnancy and foster optimal development for your new baby
Besides containing 25 nutrients in a 2 capsule serving, Glow prenatal vitamins are vegetarian and free from artificial ingredients. For each bottle of Glow vitamins purchased, the company will provide a year’s worth of multivitamins for a child in need.
Some mothers complain that these pills made them nauseated, and they could not tolerate the taste. It is recommended that you take these supplements with a meal and a large glass of water.
The biggest problem most mothers have with postnatal vitamins is remembering to take them. Even the best postnatal vitamins don’t do any good sitting in their bottle.
Some of these accessories can help you form and keep a healthy habit of taking your daily postnatal supplements.
- LARGE WEEKLY PILL ORGANIZER by Mimi Medcessories: 7 separate compartments, stores up to 5 large supplements or 10-12 small Rx pills per day
- SECURE VITAMIN, SUPPLEMENT & PILL HOLDER: Dual-sided Slide and stop function to dispense each day one at time from both sides
- EXTRA COMPARTMENT SPACE AVAILABLE: extra storage for as needed items (e.g. pain relievers, allergy pills etc…)
- PERFECT GIFT: Premium soft-touch finish–BPA free available in Champagne, Rose & Steele
When you’re busy caring for a baby, it can be hard to remember anything, including whether or not you have taken your multivitamin for the day. Using a basic pill box can help you stay organized, reminding you to take your vitamin while preventing you from taking it twice in a day.
- EASY! Slide indicators left to right, and click when in place, no batteries needed.
- CONVENIENT! Stick to any size bottle, keep medicine in the original container.
- REUSABLE! Remove and stick to new bottle. Keep them clean and you can use them over and over.
- KNOWING! Red and green window quickly indicates if dose has been taken.
If you don’t like the way a bulky pill box looks, you can use a take-n-slide tracker instead. This is a bottle with built-in buttons that you can press as you take your vitamin, helping you remember whether you have taken it or not that day.
While not necessarily an accessory, you should pair your postnatal supplements with a healthy diet. Many postnatal vitamins are high in one nutrient and low in another.
Eating a balanced diet in addition to a postpartum vitamin can help you meet all of your nutritional demands and keep your nutrient stores up.
How Important Are Postnatal Vitamins?
Postnatal vitamins are extremely important for both your own health, and the health of your breastfeeding baby.
The same way that taking a prenatal vitamin fills any gaps in your diet during pregnancy, a postnatal vitamin can help ensure that you get all of the essential nutrients you need during the postpartum period.
Postpartum moms who take postnatal vitamins as a daily supplement can have higher milk production, lower rates of postpartum depression and baby blues, normal immune function, less postpartum hair loss, and are more likely to reach optimal health after giving birth.
Even if they are not breastfeeding, mothers recovering from pregnancy and delivery need the extra nutrients in a postnatal vitamin.
Because you lose so much blood during the delivery of your baby, you are at high risk of becoming anemic. Anemia can cause brain fog and low energy levels, which can both get even worse with the addition of a new baby in your home.
Taking a daily vitamin that contains iron can help your body make enough red blood cells to keep you feeling your best.
Vitamin B12 is another essential building block for red blood cells. Vitamin B12 is known to increase energy levels.
Foliage, or folic acid, helps developing babies’ brains grow. It is good both during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. Folate is also good for mom’s heart health.
Choline is an important nutrient during pregnancy for babies brain development and for preventing pregnancy complications. During the postpartum period, choline can help support healthy liver function and improve your memory and mood.
Just like the rest of your body, your bones go through significant changes during pregnancy and breastfeeding. According to the Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases Resource Center, consuming enough calcium can protect you from developing osteoporosis later in life.
Breastfeeding and Vitamins
Pennsylvania State University recommends taking a postnatal vitamin every day while you are breastfeeding your baby. Babies need extra folate, DHA, Vitamin D and iodine to help their brains develop.
Unfortunately, breastmilk does not contain enough vitamin D to support a growing baby. The CDC recommends that all infants take a vitamin D drop each day while they are breastfed.
You can find infant vitamin D drops at almost any pharmacy or health foods store..
Choosing the Best Postnatal Vitamins for You
Even with a diet full of healthy meals and snacks, you will benefit by taking a high quality postnatal vitamin. There are a few things you should keep in mind when choosing a postnatal vitamin:
- Ingredients. Keep an eye out for vitamins with added sugars or artificial dyes. Also remember, just because something is labeled “natural” does not mean it is healthier. Take your time reading the ingredients label of your multivitamins.
- Vitamins and Minerals. Make sure that your chosen vitamin has iron, calcium, vitamin D, DHA, and folate.
- Cost. You do not have to spend hundreds of dollars on vitamins and supplements to stay healthy. Choosing a simple generic brand of vitamin can save you a lot of money.
Do I still need a postnatal vitamin if I choose not to breastfeed?
Pregnancy and delivery take a lot from your body. Even if you choose not to breastfeed your baby, you should take a daily multivitamin to help your body heal and recover. Taking a multivitamin will help you recover from blood loss and tissue injury from delivery.
Can taking too many vitamins be harmful?
There is no benefit to taking more than the recommended dose of a multivitamin. If you get too much of a certain vitamin or nutrient, your kidneys and liver will simply filter it out.
If you take much more than the recommended amount of any vitamin or mineral, you will most likely experience gastrointestinal symptoms like nausea or constipation.
What is the best time of the day to take postnatal vitamins?
Some women report that taking a multivitamin makes them sick to their stomach. This is especially true for multivitamins containing iron. Taking your vitamins with meals can help keep you from getting nauseated.
There is no best time of day to take a multivitamin. The most important thing is that you remember to take it. Whenever you decide to take your postnatal vitamin, try to do it at the same time each day so it is easier to remember.
How long should you take postnatal vitamins?
You should take a postnatal vitamin for at least as long as you breastfeed your baby. If you choose not to breastfeed, you should take a postnatal vitamin for 6 months after delivery.
The information WonderBaby provides is not intended to be, and does not constitute, medical or other health advice or diagnosis and should not be used as such. Always consult with a qualified medical professional about your specific circumstances.
Heard a lot about weighted blankets and lap pads and wondering how to choose one? Here’s our guide to the ins and outs of finding the right weighted blanket.
Looking for the right night light to help your little one ease into bedtime? Check out our guide for everything you need to know about toddler night lights.
Potty Training, Product Reviews
The best swim diapers are comfortable and help prevent your baby from having an accident in the pool or ocean. Find our favorites in this round-up!