7 Best High Chair Mats of 2023
- These 7 high chair mats of 2023 are parent approved, tried, and true!
- Quick cleanups are possible with the help of a good highchair mat.
- Consider the material, price, design, washing method, and grip before making your purchase.
Getting the floors wiped down after a messy mealtime is anything but easy. Both my babies are prone to throw food every which way, and with nothing to protect the floor, I’m left to wipe clean every surrounding inch. That’s where the highchair mat sold me—no more mopping up spills or sweeping crumbs. The highchair mat catches it all!
While you could use other items from around the house like a towel or a drop cloth, you’ll end up washing those more regularly, still stuck in an endless cleaning cycle, just in the form of laundry instead. Why bother when there’s a much better way?
Don’t waste any more time distracting your little one while you work to wipe up the remnants of their messy meal. It’s time to grab a high chair mat! Here are the 7 best high chair mats you can’t miss that’ll help you keep a clean surface all year long!
Our Choice: Moonsea Mealtime Highchair Mat
- Out of Messes – Splat mat under high chair mat was made to protect your floors and tables from mealtime spills and playtime messes. Great for art and craft projects on or under tables.
- Perfect Size – Maximum coverage of 46″ x 42″ with lightweight splat mat, it takes up less space in your bag, so you can take it where you need it.
- Craftsmanship – There are 3 layers of the under high chair splat mat, top with grey star print fabric, inside impermeable waterproof membrane and bottom anti-slip material, means no worrying about bunch-up between layers of fabric.
- Easy to Clean – Star pattern splash mat are easy to wipe down and machine washable, floor mats for under highchairs and low coffee table. Wipeable and machine washable easy care highchair splat mat that you can use it over and over again.
You won’t find another highchair mat constructed quite like the Moonsea Mealtime High Chair Mat. With a 3-layer design including a waterproof membrane, your floors will stay protected, and you won’t find it bunching up as its bottom layer has an anti-slip material. Personally, I found the anti-slip silicone dots on the bottom held up well despite some negative reviews.
The 2 sizing options fit both small and large spaces, both of which can be wiped down or thrown in the wash for a more thorough clean. As if that wasn’t enough, they offer a replacement or money-back guarantee if you’re not in love with it.
Despite all the positives, some reviewers weren’t happy, especially with the fact that not all their stains would come out of the mat, even after a wash. Others didn’t like that liquid seemed to soak in through the mat even though it’s supposed to be waterproof.
Having tested it myself, I can tell you that liquid will soak in, but the waterproof membrane is on the second layer, not the first. The first is just a printed fabric. Even after liquid went through that top layer of my mat, it did not soak through to the bottom—so in my eyes, it did its job!
Best in Pattern: Bumkins Splat Mat
- MESS MAT – Our splat mats have you covered; they’re made to protect floors and tables from mealtime spills and playtime messes; place under high chairs and great play mats for art and craft projects – on top of or under tables
- LONG LASTING – Made from Bumkins’ original waterproof fabric – 100-percent polyester with embedded TPU for waterproofing; both soft and strong it’s tough enough for daily use; it stands up to messes
- SAFETY TESTED – At Bumkins, we use 3rd party labs to ensure the products we manufacture comply with CPSC and CPSIA standards for BPA, Lead, and Phthalates
- EASY TO CLEAN – Wipe up small messes; hand-wash or machine wash; to extend the life of fabric, we do recommend hang drying our quick-dry fabric; always ensure fabric is completely dry before storing
A best seller for high chair mats, the Bumkins Splat Mat catches all the food and liquid on its tough, waterproof fabric. Liquid literally beaded up on mine right away, so it immediately got my attention. It’s machine washable and folds up small enough to store in your diaper bag which is a plus. Its fun patterns are just the cherry on top!
While it’s certainly a contender for first place, it does have its downfalls. Many parents said they had issues with the mat bunching up since it was too lightweight. Though I didn’t experience that (I feel the weight of the high chair took care of both complaints), I will say it’s very thin. I’m unsure of how it’ll fair after repeated wash cycles.
Best in Safety: Paw Legend Washable High Chair Splat Floor Mat
- Generous Size: At 53 x 53 inches, the large mat will easily cover the clean-up zone under your child’s high chairsquare mat. Great for under toddler table, art easel or wherever mess happens. Cute colors, works with your kitchen and dining room style.
- Practical Design: The top side providing easy and quick wipe clean. The bottoms are non-slip grey silicone spot.This mat is designed to go under the high chair to keep off spills and damage to the carpet or timber floor underneath. It can also be used as a placemat for arts and crafts or as picnic mat.
- Perfect for Travel: Perfect for picnic, a tablecloth for play & drawing time, and just anyway or anywhere you need that extra help.
- Super Functional & Quality Mat – Messes wipe up beautifully with your favorite kid-friendly spray cleaner or soap and water.They are great to keep off your floor to catch spills.Long lasting, without getting any wear and tear.
The Paw Legend Washable High Chair Splat Floor Mat takes extra care in regard to safety with its anti-slip backing, extra grips, and reinforced stitching. It also earns some major points for its thick material, which comes in a generous size. A polyester mat with stylish designs, it’s a solid contender for containing messes at toddler mealtimes.
One of the main draws of a highchair mat is the easy cleaning and though you can wipe this one clean and even throw it in the wash, you can’t dry it. For many parents, that was a huge drawback. Also, stains tend to show easily on light designs, and some reviewers felt the picture was deceiving when it came to sizing.
Best in Size: ReignDrop Baby Splat Mat
- Meet the XL Baby Splat Mat – It’s every parent’s dream come true. Designed perfectly to fit under highchairs, this mat ensures that food spills and crumbs never touch your pristine floors. Essential for protecting carpet, wood, and tile. Say goodbye to tedious clean-up after mealtimes. Sized at 54″x54″ (137x137cm).
- Not Just For Mealtime – Have a little artist at home? This mat is perfect for art and craft sessions, safeguarding your floors from paint splatters, glue drops, and other craft residues. Encourage creativity without the chaos.
- Ideal for Dogs & Cats – Pet owners, rejoice. The XL Baby Splat Mat isn’t just for babies. Its versatile design makes it perfect for catching stray bits from pet food bowls, or even errant litter from litter boxes. Your floors stay clean, and your pets stay happy.
- Safe for Babies – Safety is our top priority. Crafted with love and care from premier quality material . It’s BPA free, lead-free, vinyl-free, and phthalate-free. Rest assured, it’s a safe space for your child to play on and for your pets to lounge upon.
Offered in a larger size than most in either a square or round shape, the ReignDrop Baby Splat Mat is a great addition to large eating spaces. This waterproof splat mat is also stain and oil-proof! Retaining its clear and inconspicuous look, it’s perfect for families who want a mat that fits seamlessly into their home.
The major complaint with these splat mats is that they can’t be put into the washer or dryer. Its material is also thinner than desired and is reported to make an unpleasant noise when it’s stepped on or moved.
Best in Versatility: WOMUMON Splat Mat for High Chair
- SAFE MATERIAL – The fabric of our splash mat is polyester, lead free, phthalate and BPA free, odor free and non-toxic.
- WATERPROOF SURFACE – Our kids mess mat is 100% waterproof and easy to clean, most food and messes can be shaken off or wiped away with a damp cloth.
- NON-SLIP AND NO BUNCH-UP– With anti-slip silicone dots backing, it will keep the high chair floor mat in place, not easy to bunch up under highchair or on the hardwood floor.
- BIG SIZE – Sized 51″x51″, Our highchair mat is big enough to cover the area you want, fold it and its light weight is ideal for travel, and it is fully machine washable and reusable.
The WOMUMON Splat Mat for High Chair is a great choice if you plan to use your mat in more than one way. Reviewers say this splat mat in particular works well for messy play, picnics, and even as a tablecloth. Its laminated one-layer design makes it lightweight and compact as well.
Unfortunately, some say its one-layer design is a flaw as it makes the mat too thin and almost transparent. Oil stains may be hard to remove too, and this mat is also said to wrinkle up after cleaning.
Best in Affordability: Nuby Floor Mat
- MINIMIZE MESSES: Waterproof mat for use under high chairs keeps meal time clean and protects your kitchen floor or carpet from messes
- LARGE SPACE FOR YOUR LITTLE ONE: Designed with a diameter of 50″, the baby mat provides ample space for your little one to learn how to self-feed while keeping cleanup easy
- MADE OF DURABLE MATERIAL: Durable and flexible clear vinyl blends in with any décor and can be used at home or on the go
- EASY TO CLEAN: Simply wipe clean after mealtime, and get back to enjoying time with your little one
Similar to the ReignDrop mat, the Nuby Floor Mat has many of the same attributes at a more affordable price. A new and improved edition, this waterproof mat holds its shape while blending into your home’s design. Parents also loved the size, commenting it’s big enough to do the job but not too big that it takes up too much space.
Even so, parents weren’t impressed with the creases that seem to stick around even after long-term use. Some say it doesn’t always lay flat either. As with the Reigndrop mat, it’s not machine washable as many other mats are, so that’s a disadvantage worth weighing.
Best for Health: Cairn Vegan Leather Splat Mat
- WIPEABLE, EASY TO CLEAN, RESUSABLE // Quickly shake crumbs away or use a dish rag to wipe off any spills. Folds small so you can easily store it in your kitchen in between uses, or leave it out because its pretty enough to not cause attention.
- STAIN RESISTANT, WATER RESISTANT // Our splat mat is made of premium PU leather that doesn’t stain and it wipes clean with a damp cloth. No need to machine wash.
- NON-TOXIC AND SAFE // Our vegan mat is made of premium PU leather that is butter soft and safe for babies. No toxins, no PVC, no phthalates and no lead.
- MEASURES APPROXIMATELY 38″ X 38” // Our mats are the ideal size for underneath baby’s high chair. Not too big to get in the way, but large enough to catch any spills.
A modern and neutral highchair mat, the Cairn Vegan Leather Splat Mat is made of luxuriously soft material that’s good for more than just catching food. A stain and water-resistant material, it is thoughtfully made without toxins, PVC, phthalates, and lead.
Though it does wipe clean, you can’t put it in the washer which, for some busy parents, might be an inconvenience. Some reviewers also voiced their concern with the quality of the leather, unsure of how it will hold up over time.
What to Look for in a High Chair Mat
By now, we know the benefit of a highchair mat is cleanliness itself, but how can you be sure you’re picking the right mat for your needs? Consider these points below before making your purchase.
- Material: Each mat comes in a different material, from vinyl to leather, all with their own advantages. Likewise, some are toxin-free, and others are more questionable.
- Design: Do you want a fun design for your children to enjoy? Maybe you’re looking for something that goes unnoticed and fits into your home’s decor.
- Price: The cost of these mats ranges from very affordable to something of an investment. Weigh the price alongside reviews to decide what’s worth it.
- Gripped backing: Some mats account for slipping and bunching with gripped backing, while others rely on high chairs to hold them in place.
Washing method: How would you like to be able to clean your mat? If you already like to clean high chair straps, cushions, and the like in the wash, grab a washable mat too. Keep in mind not every mat can be put through a wash and dry cycle, and that’s a major issue for some parents.
The best adaptive strollers are designed to accommodate individuals with special needs, disabilities, or mobility challenges. Find our favorites here!
Whether you’re heading back to work or pumping exclusively, breast milk storage bags are a must-have for your supply. Check out our list of the best.
Braille and Literacy, Product Reviews, Visual Impairment
Dana Meachen Rau's book, Sense of Play, follows the adventures of Chip and Joy as they play. Chip is blind, but this doesn't get in the way of their play!