The 7 Best Outdoor Baby Swings of 2023
- An outdoor baby swing is a simple solution to keeping your baby content.
- Six months is a good age to start using an outdoor baby swing.
- There are six factors you’ll want to consider when choosing a swing.
With babies, it’s not always easy to find safe and entertaining activities for them outside. I know with mine, they’d enjoy sitting and playing with toys, but that only got us so far for so long. One summer, we finally broke down and bought an outdoor baby swing, and ever since, I don’t know how we lived without it!
If you’ve been searching for ways to get your baby more involved outdoors, I promise you won’t regret investing in an outdoor baby swing. While many can be added to toddler swing sets, some options come with their own frame, so you don’t need an entire playground in your back yard.
Don’t miss the seven best outdoor baby swings of 2023 and the fun they can bring to your family’s outdoor time.
Our Choice: Sportspower My First Baby Swing
- TODDLER FUN: Swing set is great for both indoor and outdoor play for infants 9-36 months old
- HEAVY DUTY: Constructed of lightweight yet sturdy powder-coated steel construction for durability
- PORTABLE: Swing Set folds down for easy storage and transport so your little one can swing anywhere!
- SAFETY FIRST: Meets or exceeds ASTM safety standards and includes safety harness on single nursery seat to enhance security
The Sportspower My First Baby Swing earns the top spot for outdoor baby swings for so many reasons, its convenience being number one. Coming on a frame of its own, this swing folds in half in a flash for storage. Since it folds so easily, that means you can move it around both indoors and outdoors too!
Having owned this one myself, I can tell you the design is what makes it so easy to move, constructed of a powder-coated steel frame and lightweight materials. The safety harness is also great and made it so my little ones could sit straight up even if they were still working on fully supporting themselves.
The packaging could use some work, though, to ensure all the pieces are more protected when they arrive. Also, the bar on the seat doesn’t move, making it harder to get your baby in and out of as they grow, but it wasn’t anything that would prevent me from purchasing this particular seat again.
Best Seat Design: Swurfer Coconut Outdoor Baby Swing
- Sleek modern design: The shape of the swing ensures comfort and safety. The soft braided rope was specifically selected to be gentle on hands. Holds up to 50 lbs
- Swing for backyard or indoor swing: Use it on a swing set, under a tree, on the front porch, or even in the baby’s room – this swing for little kids is perfect for any play situation
- 3-point safety harness: Swing can be adjusted to your toddler or one year old alike ensuring they are held in the seat at all times. Fabric harness is adjustable and super soft against the skin compared to plastic.
- Simple and Safe Set Up: Swing hanging hardware and everything you need to start swinging is included! Harness straps are adjustable to two different height settings to grow with your child.
With a seat design made with little ones in mind, the Swurfer Coconut Outdoor Baby Swing is a comfortable ergonomic shape perfect for all sizes. It’s a sleek design that comes in six fun colors, holding up to 50 pounds for years of fun.
The shoulder straps can adjust to two heights which is really helpful as your baby grows. Its straps are also made up of steel braided rope for an added level of built-in safety. This company is so confident in its product they even offer you a 100% satisfaction guarantee; if you aren’t thrilled with the purchase, they’ll make it right.
Still, there are a few concerns to consider with this swing, the first being its steep slant. While the seat is made with an ergonomic slant, some kids don’t like being reclined like that the entire time. The straps are also known to become dirty pretty quickly. Luckily, they’re easy to remove for cleaning.
Best in Versatility: TP Quadpod Adjustable Swing Seat
- SWINGSET ACCESSORIES: The fantastic TP Toys Quadpod is an adjustable 4-in-1 swing seat designed to grow with your child’s ages and stages, for years of outdoor fun and play.
- INGENIOUS & STYLISH: The Quadpod innovative design incorporates four perfectly dimensioned seats to suit children of different sizes; as young as 6 months, all the way up to 8 years.
- 4 SAFE & COMFORTABLE SEATS: Mode 1: cocoon seat -neck support for young babies. Mode 2: cradle seat -back support. Mode 3: bucket swing -side and back support. Mode 4: single platform seat.
- EASY SET UP: The seat configurations are quick and easy to change from one to another. Includes a universal fastener that fits both low-height frames and full-height frames.
If you’re hoping for an outdoor baby swing that’s as versatile as it is fun, you can’t go wrong with the TP Quadpod Adjustable Swing Seat. This outdoor swing will grow with your child from a baby swing seat all the way up to a single platform seat they can use at age eight.
Its adjustable height means you can fasten it to many different frame sizes, whether that’s a tree limb or a patio ceiling. The metal spring locks will give you peace of mind that your baby’s safe, as does the support each setting offers; mode one supports the neck, mode two supports the back, and mode three supports the neck and back.
While it is incredibly versatile, it doesn’t adjust easily, meaning it’s not best used by children of multiple sizes unless you want to piece things together a lot. It’s also pretty bulky in its first mode, which is the size required for babies.
Best in Comfort: Gladswing Canvas Baby Hammock Swing
- INNOVATIVE DESIGN-The traditional baby swing limits the baby’s activity space. Gladswing baby hammock in a natural way inclined supporting up to 150 pounds, can be gently wrapped the baby, to protect their neck and spine.
- SAFETY FIRST-Safety is our top priority at Gladswing. Our products have passed many safety tests and certifications, and fully comply with the US Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA). The safety belt ensures that your baby always maintains a fixed sitting position. Suitable for baby 12 months- 4 years old. NEVER LEAVE YOUR BABY or TODDLER UNWATCHED AND ALONE INSIDE THE SWING!
- TOP QUALITY MATERIALS – Our baby hammock is made from 100% cotton. The cartoon cotton pad is removable and easy to clean. When your child grows up, you can also remove it to increase seating space. Please rest assured that you have made a long-term wise investment. The natural high-quality beech wood is polished to protect the delicate skin of the baby.
- EASY TO STORE AND INSTALL-Traditional plastic baby swings are bulky, and we know that. This baby hammock can be easily stored in the included storage bag and carried with you. The soft fabric can be easily rolled and simply assembled. You can hang the swing wherever you want, suitable for indoor and outdoor. The wood has not been treated, please do not use the swing in a humid environment or on a rainy day
For babies who need some extra comfort while they swing, the Gladswing Canvas Baby Hammock Swing is sure to keep them content. Its got a thick cushion coupled with a cotton canvas shell, both removable, which makes for easy cleaning.
The arc of the seat keeps your baby’s spine protected, offering some wooden toys in their eye line to keep them entertained. It includes a hanging kit that’ll work for both indoor and outdoor scenarios too! It’s also easy to store, folding on top of itself and fully collapsible.
There are some elements of this outdoor swing you’ll want to keep in mind before making your purchase though. It does have a good amount of pieces, so assembly can be frustrating. It’s also not a swing you’d want to leave outside since it’s made of vulnerable materials that can wear more easily than plastic-based swings.
Best Multi-Use: Little Tikes 2-in-1 Snug ‘n Secure
- Easy-in hinged T-bar
- Stay-put shoulder straps hold baby securely in place
- As the child grows and doesn’t require the T-bar or straps, they store conveniently out of the way
- Durable and great for outdoor or indoor swing. This product does not come with anchors.
Arguably one of the most popular toddler swings on the market, the Little Tikes 2-in-1 Snug ‘n Secure is a great option for families with kids of different ages. This swing converts from a baby swing to a toddler swing in a cinch, with the t-bar fastening to the bottom of the seat for older kids.
The hinged T-bar itself folds down for an easy in and out when loading a baby in and also offers adjusting straps for a custom fit against your little rider. Made to last, it’s easy to see why this swing is a crowd-pleaser among parents.
For all its good characteristics, it does have some room for improvement. The swing doesn’t come with anchors for mounting, and the rope, while solid, seems smaller than other swings. Not deal breakers but considerations nonetheless.
Best in Simplicity: Squirrel Products Premium Bucket Swing
- HIGH BACK SWING: A fun addition to any playset or jungle gym this full bucket toddler swing has a patent pending design featuring a front rolled finger grip, curved back, and pinch-free plastic coated chains.
- PINCH-FREE DESIGN: Our swings include 66? of metal chain with the lower 30? dipped in non-toxic plastic to protect little hands and fingers. Our unique design ensures that kids are safe while swinging in comfort!
- DURABLE AND DEPENDABLE: Complete or update your current playground with our toddler swings! All of our swings are made of high quality materials to ensure hours of safe fun and years of play
- SPECIFICATIONS: Includes 1 10.5? x 10? bucket swing for babies and toddlers up to 150 lbs. Our swings easily attach to your existing playset or jungle gym with adjustable chain for convenient, DIY installation
Similar to what you’d find in a classic playground swing, the Squirrel Products Deluxe Bucket Swing is simple to use and super strong. Thoughtfully constructed, it’s got pinch-free chains and a high back design for all the support your baby needs. It also has a front-finger grip, so kids have something to grasp while swinging.
This bucket-style swing includes heavy-duty carabiners that can attach to a typical swing set or connect to whatever hardware or straps you choose. The connecting chains are made of anti-rust zinc as well, so you can count on long-term use.
Not without its issues, this bucket toddler swing is too narrow for some babies and might not be comfortable for bigger kids. Since it’s made of 100% EVA, it’s also a bit stiff, which, while expected for a bucket seat swing, might not be something all babies are comfortable with.
Best in Fabric: Kiriner Outdoor Swing Seat
【Environmentally Friendly Materials】The baby swing fabric is made of European standard Textilene fabric, which has greater load-bearing capacity and UV resistance than ordinary Oxford cloth. Even if it is often exposed to the sun and rain, this swing will not fade and be damage. Most importantly, the environmentally friendly Teslin fabric will not cause any harm to the child’s health.
【Lightweight Swing】The swing weighs only 4 pounds, which is very easy to carry and store. This toddler swing seat is designed for children from 12 months to 36 months old and can support up to 55 pounds, which can meet the weight of all babies from 12 to 36 months old.
【Multiple protection measures】The high-back seat with safety belt allows children to sit comfortably, Thick and durable rope buckle ensure safety when swing hanging. Four European standard nylon ropes can avoid pinching children’s fingers.
【Two-Step Install】This outdoor swing seat is easy to assemble.No hardware tools required to install this swing sets. You just need to use the carabiner to connect the swing rope and adjust the rope to a suitable length to complete the installation.
The Kiriner Outdoor Swing Seat is a great option if you’re hoping for something that’s softer, not made of plastic. Its Textilene fabric is not only environmentally friendly but also resists UV damage that often deteriorates outdoor items over time. It’s super lightweight, weighing just four pounds yet supporting up to 55 pounds.
The four-strong knitted ropes ensure a sturdy hold at all four corners of the seat for a steady ride. Unlike some other swings, it’s also height adjustable within 76 inches via the buckle on the ropes.
A possible issue to keep in mind is its backrest. It’s mostly constructed of Teslin fabric, which gives it a thinner feel than those made of plastic or other materials. Also, the hanging ropes can become brittle over time in the sun. While it appears more of an aesthetic issue, it’s worth noting.
When Can a Baby Use an Outdoor Swing?
When your baby can use an outdoor swing hinges on which swing you decide to purchase. Some outdoor swings are made for babies as young as six months, while others don’t recommend use until the child is at least a year old. If you’d like to start using one earlier, be sure to buy one that’s age appropriate.
Six months is probably the youngest you’d want to try your baby in an outdoor swing, though. The reason is that the six-month milestone is when babies start to sit up without the help of a caregiver. Even though most swings come with extensive safety harnesses, you want them to have some ability to stabilize themselves.
How to Choose the Best Outdoor Swing for Your Baby
For your baby to get the most out of your outdoor swing, you need to pick one with all the elements that work best for the family. Remember these six factors when making your selection:
- Age Requirement: Not all outdoor swings will come with the necessary features to support a baby. Check the age requirements of each swing you’re considering.
- Weight Limit: Each baby swing weight limit will differ, so be sure you check the manufacturer’s instructions to keep your baby safe.
- Seat Position: Some swings, especially baby swings, come with a reclined seat position. If your baby likes to see a lot, consider a more upright seat position.
- Hanging Mechanism: Outdoor swings are usually suspended by either chain links or rope. Both have their pros and cons to weight.
- Height Adjustment: Not every outdoor swing has the ability to adjust the height. In certain scenarios, this could make the swing too high or too low.
- Overall Material: Do you think your baby would be most comfortable in a plastic swing or something a bit softer like a nylon fabric?
- Safety Features: Check for added safety features like a harness, seat belt, or T-bar. These can give your outdoor toddler swing an extra bit of safety any parent can appreciate.
Braille and Literacy, Product Reviews, Visual Impairment
Dana Meachen Rau's book, Sense of Play, follows the adventures of Chip and Joy as they play. Chip is blind, but this doesn't get in the way of their play!
Wondering whether white noise will help your little one sleep better? Here’s our guide to the best baby sound machines to help your baby fall asleep soundly.
Heard a lot about weighted blankets and lap pads and wondering how to choose one? Here’s our guide to the ins and outs of finding the right weighted blanket.