The 4 Best Pull-Ups with Velcro Sides of 2023
- Pull-ups with velcro sides make potty training easy.
- When your child’s pull-ups detach at the side, you can take them off without removing their pants or socks.
- Toddlers often enjoy breaking the pull-up off at the sides and throwing them away.
Pull-ups are a life-saver for parents with children of potty training age. These transitional diapers feel more like big kid underwear, and parents love that their kids can pull them up and down with ease.
When you begin your potty training journey, you’ll likely still be changing your child as if they were in diapers. Without tabs on the sides like diapers have, this could get messy. This is why pull-ups with velcro sides are so helpful.
Over the past ten years, I’ve successfully potty-trained four children. Though I’ve always used pull-ups, it wasn’t until recently that I switched to pull-ups with velcro sides. I’ve found them to be so much easier and don’t know why I didn’t switch sooner.
If you’re looking to make potty training a little easier, take a look at these pull-ups with velcro sides. I’ve tested out a wide variety of styles to find which ones perform best and listed my favorites here for your shopping convenience.
Our Choice: Pull-Ups Potty Training Pants
- Pull-Ups Boys’ Potty Training Pants: 84 toddler training pants, size 3T-4T (84 training underwear total); product and packaging may vary from image shown
- Easy changes with refastenable sides, even on the go
- Pull-Ups Training Pants provide up to 100% leak-free protection with targeted absorbency where boys need it most
- Made with soft and breathable materials for comfortable wear and designed for little hands to easily slide up and down for Big Kid independence
You can’t beat a classic brand like Huggies. With decades of experience creating diapering products, their classic Pull-Ups Potty Training Pants are a reliable choice.
I love that these Huggies pull-ups come in sizes 2T to 6T. The larger sizes are hard to find in standard training pants. I picked size 4T-5T for my tall 3-year-old and they were a perfect fit.
What I noticed about these pull-ups is that they don’t leave marks on my 3-year-old’s thighs. We’ve tried many brands in the past that left her with lines or rashes. The velcro sides are also soft and didn’t irritate her skin.
When she needed to take off her pull-up in the morning, she was able to do so by herself. These Huggies Pull-Ups have plenty of stretch and are perfect for little hands. I loved how easy it was to unfasten with the velcro sides as well.
Something that Huggies Pull-Ups does differently is using a design that fades when wet, rather than appears when wet. This is a small detail, but I actually prefer a design that appears when wet because it’s easier to spot during quick checks.
My daughter loved the Minnie Mouse designs and thought they were cute. Most little ones will probably enjoy the Disney character and bright colors. Little details like these make potty training fun.
The only thing I wish Huggies would improve is the softness of the pull-up. While it’s not overly rough, it still feels a little stiffer than I’d like.
Best Nighttime: Pull-Ups Girls’ Nighttime Potty Training Pants
- Pull-Ups Girls’ Night-Time Potty Training Pants: 68 overnight potty training underwear for girls, size 2T-3T
- Our nighttime training pants absorb up to 25% more than diapers* (*vs. size 3-5 Huggies Little Movers Diapers)
- Up to 12 hours of overnight protection where girls need it most and up to 100% leak-free with extra absorbency** (**vs other Pull-Ups products)
- Refastenable, easy-open sides make nighttime changes easy and an underwear-like fit for training consistency day to night
If you have a nighttime bedwetter, the Pull-Ups Girls’ Nighttime Potty Training Pants are some of the best performers with velcro sides.
These Huggies Pull-Ups are available in sizes 2T to 6T. This is helpful when potty training your special needs child or for nighttime potty training with an older child. The larger sizes make them perfect for a variety of situations.
As a nighttime pull-up, these absorb more liquid than other options. In fact, they’re guaranteed to give you 12 hours of protection. These Huggies Pull-Ups also have strategically placed extra absorbent fabric where girls and boys need it most.
These are available in Toy Story designs for both boys and girls. The designs slowly fade as the pull-up gets wet. This fading method is standard for Huggies Pull-Ups and is meant to help your child learn to recognize when they’re wet.
Some parents noted that these are stiffer than regular pull-ups. If your child finds these to be uncomfortable, you might try using the standard Huggies Pull-Ups at night. Many parents found them to be just as absorbent.
Best Natural: Pull-Ups New Leaf Disney Frozen Potty Training Pants
- Pull-Ups New Leaf Boys’ Potty Training Pants: 99 toddler training pants, size 4T-5T (3 packs of 33, 99 potty training underwear total); product and packaging may vary
- Our softest training pants crafted with plant-based ingredients* (*28% by weight)
- Our most breathable training underwear, made with breathable materials for healthy skin; made without harsh ingredients and is clinically proven to be hypoallergenic
- Only Pull-Ups New Leaf has Disney Frozen graphics that fade when wet, teaching Big Kids to stay dry
For parents looking for a more natural pull-up, the Pull-Ups New Leaf Disney Frozen Potty Training Pants are a great option.
Huggies is clearly listening to the demands of modern parents for more sustainable materials. These pull-ups are made with 28% plant-based ingredients. Though I’d like to see more effort toward removing chemicals, it’s still a step in the right direction.
My daughter loved the cute Frozen designs on the pull-ups. Each design features a snowflake that fades when wet. In addition, the pull-up gets cool when wet to help the child recognize when they need to be changed.
I found these pull-ups to be very absorbent. During use, my daughter never had a leak. We even used these for all-night wear and never had to change the bed sheets.
One thing to note is that these New Leaf Pull-Ups are only available in sizes 2T to 5T. A larger size would have been nice since many of Huggies pull-ups are offered in a 6T as well.
I loved how easily the pull-ups open on the velcro sides. I was only using these for nighttime, but the velcro sides made it easy to remove in the morning.
Best for Sensitive Skin: Cutie Refastenable Potty Training Pants
- POTTY TRAINING FOR ACTIVE TODDLERS: These training pants feature cute characters that fade when wet. Stretchable, refastenable sides move with your toddler & finger lift tabs make them easy to open & close for quick potty checks
- SOFT & HYPOALLERGENIC: Made from cottony soft materials free of latex, fragrance, dyes & chlorine, these diapers feature a hypoallergenic inner liner enriched with aloe, natural botanicals & vitamin E
- COMPLETE CARE FOR BABY’S SENSITIVE SKIN: Thoughtfully designed. Responsibly made. Incredibly soft. Our diapers & wipes are soft, absorbent & safe because they’re going on your baby’s sensitive skin
- OUR SKINSMART PROMISE TO YOU: With our diapers & baby wipes, every decision we make is designed to help protect the health of your child’s sensitive skin, from preemie to newborn to toddler & beyond
For kids with sensitive skin, the Cutie Refastenable Potty Training Pants are made without many chemicals and are super soft.
These pull-ups are designed for sensitive skin. Each pull-up is free of latex, fragrance, dyes, and chlorine. This alone is a rare find in disposable training pants.
On top of the chemical-free materials, these pull-ups also have hypoallergenic liners with aloe and vitamin E. This is meant to moisturize your child’s skin and prevent rashes. Most parents found them to be safe enough for their child’s skin.
One area this brand can improve in is comfortability. This brand claims to fit your child comfortably, but many parents found these to have minimal stretch. This also meant many parents had to size up in the training pants.
Despite the lack of stretch, these pull-ups do an adequate job of absorbing liquid. They aren’t as absorbent as Huggies Pull-Ups, but are decent for the price.
The velcro sides are soft and won’t irritate your child’s hips. They’re also strong and hold well even with much movement.
There’s a lot to consider when you potty train your child. You’ll likely find a variety of potty training methods to choose from. You’ll also find parents recommending the best potty training seats for your venture.
Whatever you choose, there are several accessories you won’t want to be without. Take it from this mom of five—these accessories will make potty training easier:
- Potty training watch
- Potty training seat
- Potty training chart
- Travel potty
- Small candies or treats
When to Switch to Pull-Ups With Velcro Sides?
Pull-ups with velcro sides are the perfect way to transition into potty training. Usually, children potty train at around 2 to 3 years old. However, this can start later or earlier, depending on the child.
You’ll know your child is ready for pull-ups when they start showing these signs:
- Keeping diapers dry for at least 2 hours
- Communicating before or after going in their diaper
- Hiding before going in their diaper
- Showing an interest in the toilet
How Do Pull-Ups With Velcro Sides Help in Potty Training?
Pull-ups with velcro sides make potty training easy. If you’ve ever used standard pull-ups or easy-ups, you’ve likely had a situation where you had to rip them down the sides. Maybe you’ve wondered why they don’t make them all detachable at the sides.
Pull-ups with velcro sides have 2 major advantages:
When your child’s pull-ups detach at the side, you can take them off without removing their pants or socks. You can also remove them at the sides when their pull-up is dirty. This will allow an easier change similar to a diaper change.
Little ones who are potty training love the feeling of independence. Pull-ups with Velcro sides are easier to take off. Toddlers often enjoy breaking the pull up off at the sides and throwing them away.
At what age should a child stop wearing pull-ups?
Pull-ups can be worn as long as needed. However, most pull-up brands don’t make sizes past 5T or 6T. If your child still needs protection after this point, there are many other training pants or disposable underwear offered in larger sizes.
The best adaptive strollers are designed to accommodate individuals with special needs, disabilities, or mobility challenges. Find our favorites here!
Whether you’re heading back to work or pumping exclusively, breast milk storage bags are a must-have for your supply. Check out our list of the best.
Braille and Literacy, Product Reviews, Visual Impairment
Dana Meachen Rau's book, Sense of Play, follows the adventures of Chip and Joy as they play. Chip is blind, but this doesn't get in the way of their play!