The 5 Best Baby Blankets of 2023
- If you’re looking for the best baby blanket, you can’t go wrong with the 5 listed here!
- There are many types of baby blankets, each with their own advantages.
- For their safety, your baby shouldn’t sleep with a blanket until they’re 12 months old.
- Check labels on your baby blanket for unnecessary and harmful chemicals used in the manufacturing process.
- While there’s no exact number a baby needs, having a handful of baby blankets in reserve is helpful.
People are always quick to give the new parents on the block countless recommendations for the must-have items on their baby registry. Somehow baby blankets are never at the top of that list, though! Sure, they’re not the most glamorous item, but you don’t want just any run-of-the-mill blankets with how much use they get.
For my babies, their blankets were a little bit of everything—sleep companion, tummy time pal, and in a pinch, changing pad, and burp cloth. Purchasing quality blankets up front allowed us to get away with using them for more than their intended purpose, even passing some down when our next baby came along.
Whether you’re a parent-to-be on the hunt for the best baby blankets for your bundle of joy, or you’ve got baby blankets that just aren’t getting the job done, we’ve got the insight you need! We’ll unpack the best baby blankets of 2023, along with safety tips and differences in blankets you need to know.
Our Choice: NTBAY Jersey Cotton Quilted Blanket
- PRODUCT FEATURES: Made from soft jersey cotton, and filling with microfiber. Natural cotton is breathable to prevent skin irritation for your newborn’s skin, and ensures the baby blanket is extremely soft, snugly. These lightweight baby blankets quilted in wave, stripe or star pattern, our blanket comes in coffee, grey, blue, green, camel, yellow, pink and white. These warm blankets are perfect for little ones, toddlers, boy or girl, and suitable for all seasons.
- PRODUCT FUNCTION: These jersey cotton baby blankets are sized at 30 x 40 inches, our blanket is made for full coverage over your baby and gentle enough for a newborn. Perfect for swaddling, sleeping, tummy time play mat, stroller cover, or nursing cover. Our softness toddler blanket is perfect choice if you are considering a baby shower / registry gift. At any time, these warm baby blankets will make your baby feel warm as you love.
- PACKAGE INCLUDE: 1 x Toddler Blanket (30 x 40 inches)
- EASY CARE: Machine wash cold, gentle cycle, tumble dry at low temperature, cool iron if needed. Do not bleach. Material gets softer after each wash.
The NTBay Jersey Cotton Quilted Blanket gets spot number one for a handful of reasons. A lightweight blanket with microfiber filler, it’s got the softest texture made from jersey cotton that only gets better with each wash. I can attest to the softness right out of the package! It was silky smooth and came out just as well after a wash.
Perfect for all seasons, it’s definitely got that not-too-light, not-too-heavy feel to it. With a color to please every style, it fits in seamlessly with my baby’s nursery, almost like it was planned from the start! Overall, it’s tough to beat this quality baby blanket.
Though you’d be hard-pressed to find many complaints with this blanket, there are a few customer concerns to consider. Some parents have reported the blanket shrinking a good bit after drying it. Others thought the blanket was too small to begin with. Be sure to read the product description to determine if the sizing meets your needs.
Fabric Type Material: Cotton | Dimensions: 40 x 30 x 0.2 inches
View on Amazon | View on Walmart.com | View on eBay.com
Best in Breathability: PHF 100% Cotton Waffle Baby Blanket
- Most Comfort & Safety: PHF baby waffle blanket is certified by OEKO-TEX Standard 100 to ensure worry-free usage. It is made of 100% natural cotton, super soft, breathable, skin-friendly and lightweight, giving your baby the most comfort and safety feeling. Your little one will have sweet sleep with PHF premium cotton blankets.
- Versatile: Measuring 30 by 40 inches, PHF cotton blanket is suitbale for baby and toddler use. What’s more, this blanket can also be used as swaddling blanket, receiving blanket, cuddle blanket, nursing cover, sunscreen for strollers, burp cloth, car seat cover, play mat, changing pad, mini crib sheet and so on. A must have for nursery use.
- Multiple Color Options: Designed with professional color scheme, PHF waffle blankets feature favorite colors here for baby boys and girls. With a wide range of colors to choose from, our cotton swaddle blankets can fit any themed nursery room perfectly, giving a colorful, peaceful and happy atmosphere to your nursery room.
- Easy Care: Machine wash separately in cold water,gentle cycle.Use only non-chlorine bleach when needed.Tumble dry on low heat.Iron on low heat when needed.Do not dry clean. The cotton fabric can get softer with every wash to offer dreamy comfort.
A solid-colored blanket with a classic cotton feel, the PHF 100% Cotton Waffle Baby Blanket is a solid option for your little one. The waffle weave creates next-level breathability, coupled with moisture-wicking technology for all-around comfort. Wrinkle-free material that doesn’t pill, it’ll hold its attractive weave over time.
Some purchasers did take issue with the blanket’s weave, saying it made the blanket feel too crisp and stiff in the end. The softness was also said to be less than desired, and colors aren’t always on target. Additionally, if you live in colder climates, this wouldn’t be great for the colder months.
Fabric Type Material: Cotton | Dimensions: 40 x 30 inches
View on Amazon | View on eBay.com
Best in Texture: Wonder Miracle Fluffy Blanket for Baby
- √ Soft micro fleece knit blanket that feels nice against the skin–perfect to put over your baby when it’s time for bed. It could bring a comfortable sleeping temperature to your child that suitable for spring, summer, autumn and winter.
- √ The size of the blanket means that you can easily fold it up and pack it in the bag when going on trips, also can be used in stroller, baby car seat and as a changing pad etc.
- √ The soft, smooth surface fabric is thermal, durable, breathable and contains no substances, phthalates or chemicals that can harm your baby’s skin or health. A safe choice for your child–and for the environment.
- √ Synthetic microfiber blanket are very easy to care for and can be washed by machine often. They also dry relatively quickly.
If you’re looking for the fluffiest baby blanket for your little one, look no further than the Wonder Miracle Fluffy Blanket for Baby. A micro-fleece knit made without unnecessary chemicals, it’s a safe bet for your baby’s health and well-being. With 26 color options to pick from and a snuggly warmth despite its lightweight feel, it’s sure to please.
Sad to say, some parents have said despite its amazing texture, the craftsmanship could be better. The stitching is reported to come loose sometimes after washes which, while an easy fix, isn’t a welcomed one. Its color and thickness have also been areas of concern for those who have purchased the product.
Fabric Type Material: Polyester | Dimensions: 40 x 28 inches
View on Amazon | View on Walmart.com | View on eBay.com
Best for Everyday Use: Momcozy Muslin Swaddle Blankets
- 【Soft, Breathable and Absorbent】 Momcozy swaddle blanket is made of 70% bamboo and 30% cotton, which is softer, lighter, and skin-friendly than 100% organic cotton, which means they can keep your little one warm and cozy in cooler weather, let their skin breathe in warmer weather.
- 【Enjoy Better Sleep】Size 47″ X 47″ (120 x 120 cm), large enough to easily wrap babies, prevents newborn babies from startling themselves awake with random arm movements, recreates the secure and cozy feeling of the womb, helps soothe your baby and get them a better sleep.
- 【Multipurpose Baby Swaddle Blankets】Baby blanket can also be used as receiving blanket, cuddle blanket, nursing cover, sunscreen for strollers, burp cloth, car seat cover, play mat, changing pad, mini crib sheet and so on.
- 【Best Baby Shower Gift】Four neutral receiving blanket with no patterns perfect for both baby girls and baby boys. These swaddles are baby registry must haves for new parents. Our solid baby swaddle will be one of your favorite things to wrap the baby up.
Muslin blankets are the most popular for everyday use, and the Momcozy Muslin Swaddle Blankets are a prime example. Big enough to use as a nursing cover, swaddling blanket, stroller blanket, and the like, you can use it for many needs. Its cotton bamboo blend also makes it exceptionally soft and breathable.
While all that may be true, some reviewers still had complaints. The trouble with thin fabric like this is that it tends to wrinkle easily. The thinness of the material also makes it more susceptible to snagging on everyday items or in the wash. Many have also said the blankets are just too big overall.
Fabric Type Material: 70% Bamboo & 30% Cotton | Dimensions: 47 x 47 inches
View on Amazon | View on Walmart.com | View on eBay.com
Best in Versatility: XMWEALTHY Swaddle Blanket
- 👶Care: Due to vacuum packaging, the blanket may wrinkle and crease. We recommend that you wash and iron before use, it will be back to normal and fluffy again
- 👶Crafted from high quality knitting wool, with polar fleece lined, thick, warm, soft and comfortable to keep your baby warm
- 👶Size: 75cm*37cm/29.5inch*13.8inch, suitable for 0-12 Month baby girls or boys
- 👶Button closure works perfectly for easy opening and closing
Almost like a little baby sleeping bag, the XMWEALTHY Swaddle Blanket is an incredibly versatile baby blanket. You can unbutton it, laying it completely open for tummy time, or button them inside for extra warmth. Doubling as a swaddle, it prevents the startle reflex and helps keep your baby from kicking the blanket off.
Sadly, it loses some traction with customers after the washing process. While it is machine washable, some have said the fabric doesn’t return to its original soft, fluffy feel. Others have said the wool fabric covering the outside of the blanket also ends up pilling after washes.
Fabric Type Material: Outside 100% Acrylic Inside 100%polyester | Dimensions: 29.53 x 13.78 x 0.04 inches
View on Amazon | View on Walmart.com | View on Sears.com
Different Types of Baby Blankets
There’s no shortage of baby blankets to choose from, but what’s the difference between them all? Isn’t a blanket just a blanket? While that might seem like the most logical conclusion, when it comes to baby blankets, they each have their own set of attributes.
- Receiving Blanket: Receiving blankets are more of a term than an actual type or material of blanket. They are usually on the thinner side, though, sometimes synonymous with muslin blankets and traditionally used to swaddle or hold a baby in.
- Fleece Blanket: Fleece fabrics are arguably the softest, most cozy materials on the market. Made from synthetic material with insulating properties, these hold up well against cool temperatures and keep your little one warm.
- Wearable Blanket: Only on the scene for the last few decades, wearable blankets (or baby sleep sacks) are a new parent’s best friend. Providing warmth without the risks, parents can rest assured their baby is safe in their snug cocoon.
- Muslin Blanket: Very popular among parents today, muslin blankets are extremely lightweight cotton that’s as breathable as they are comfortable. These blankets usually double as receiving blankets and swaddles as well.
- Thermal Blanket: Typically made from a cotton blend, thermal blankets are known for their warmth in cold conditions. They can retain heat while maintaining a weight and thickness that makes for easy storage.
- Weighted Blanket: Weighted blankets have been on the rise in recent years, recognized for their regulation of the nervous system resulting in better sleep. Despite their popularity, you shouldn’t use these blankets for babies under 1 year old.
- Handmade Blanket: Many new parents will receive handmade blankets made with love as a gift from family or friends. These blankets can be made with various materials equating to multiple uses based on blanket weight.
Safety Tips When Choosing and Using a Baby Blanket
While you want to be sure to keep your baby warm when it comes time to sleep, you also have to be certain you’re practicing safe sleep. The main question is, when can a baby sleep with a blanket? Even though it’s widely debated, the consensus is that babies can start sleeping with a blanket at 12 months old.
When it comes to what kind of blanket is best, there’s not really one style that’s better than the other. When placing a blanket in the baby’s sleep space, your primary concern is twofold: Can the baby roll over, moving the blanket out of their face, and is the blanket light? They don’t need anything big or with extra bulk.
Despite that fact, you should be aware of how your baby blanket is made. It might be made of soft fabric, durable material, and just the right size, but your baby’s blanket may also be made with harmful added chemicals.
Non-toxic bedding can be an important step in protecting your baby’s sensitive skin. Items like organic crib mattresses, blankets, sheets, and pillows are a great way to ensure your baby is safe from these additives. How can you be sure they contain only natural or organic materials? Start with the labels.
Look at that tag and see what the baby blanket contains. You’ll want to avoid certain chemicals added in some manufacturing processes, such as formaldehyde, flame retardant, phthalates, dyes, and the like. When wrapped around your baby, these chemicals can enter through the respiratory system or through simple skin contact.
How many baby blankets should a baby have?
There’s no exact baby blanket number you need on hand, but it becomes super helpful to have extras lying around; for that reason, somewhere between 3 and 5 blankets is the sweet spot. The reason is so you can swap them out when need be. You’ve got backups if they got dirty using them as nursing covers, burp cloths, or just from being out and about.
Likewise, having a handful of other blankets makes it so you can leave one wherever you need without constantly having to remember them. For example, you can leave one in the car for a stroller or car seat blanket. Put one in the diaper bag for outings. Then have two or three around the house ready to use or ready to wash.
How do I know if my baby is cold and in needs a blanket?
It’s natural for every parent to want to keep their baby cozy, but it might be hard to decipher when exactly they need a blanket to do so. Luckily there are some clear signs you can be on the lookout for! These include pale skin, unexplained fussiness, and hands and feet that are cool to the touch.
That might lead you to wonder how you can tell when your baby is too hot, and you can ditch the blanket. Those signs include heat rash and noticeably red skin. You may also notice they’re warm to the touch or sweaty. Use your best judgment when it comes to both hot and cold fluctuations, and use these signs as your guide!
What’s the standard size blanket for a baby blanket?
The size of your baby blanket will depend on the type of blanket you’ve chosen. For instance, for general-use baby blankets, you’ll find they usually measure 30 to 40 inches. Receiving blankets will be square blankets that measure 18 inches by 18 inches or 36 inches by 36 inches. Swaddle blankets will range from 40 inches by 40 inches or 48 inches by 48 inches.
What about weighted sleep sacks?
A sleep sack is another type of wearable blanket, usually zipped up the front. In recent years manufacturers have created a weighted version of sleep sacks. Much like regular weighted blankets, weighted sleep sacks aren’t recommended.
With a softer chest wall than that of adults, the weight on a weighted sleep sack can very quickly become dangerous. The weight can make it hard for them to breathe as they normally would.
Another danger that comes along with weighted sleep sacks is positioning. If a baby were to roll into a dangerous sleeping position, the weight could make it impossible for them to move enough to get out of it. Skip the weighted sleep sack and go for a normal baby blanket.
The 5 Best Double Strollers for Travel of 2023
Traveling with kids can be tricky, but it doesn’t have to be! Make your travels with multiple little ones a breeze with the best double strollers for travel.
The 5 Best Baby Swaddles of 2023
Shopping for the best baby swaddles to help your little one sleep through the night? These swaddles are parent favorites that are sure to perform!
7 Best Strollers for Tall Parents of 2023
Looking for the best strollers to save you from hunching and to give your back a break? If you're a tall parent, keep reading to find the best stroller for...