3 Best Car Baby Monitors of 2023
- If you use a baby car monitor for your little one, they won’t be able to unbuckle without you noticing.
- Using a car baby monitor with a night vision feature will allow you to monitor your baby while they sleep.
- If you have twins or multiple children you want to monitor, a split-screen monitor is a great choice.
I’ll never forget the first time I brought home a baby from the hospital. After we buckled our 7-pound bundle of joy into her car seat and hit the road, my husband was extra cautious with his driving and I sat in the back to monitor her for the entire ride.
Fast forward to four children later, and our newest addition rides safely in the back with her siblings rather than a hovering parent. We’ve definitely relaxed more as parents over the last decade. However, even with five children, I still like to be able to monitor the baby in the back.
I’ve always used baby mirrors to allow me to glance back and check on the baby while I drive. However, these mirrors usually provide a distorted view. I often turn my head back to get a better view.
Thankfully, there’s a safer option to monitor a baby in the backseat. Car baby monitors allow parents to get a clear view of their baby without turning around. There’s no more need for low-quality mirrors that fall down as you drive.
If you’d like a safe, clear view of your baby, a car baby monitor is for you. Before you head to Amazon and start shopping, get the details on the best car baby monitor for your little one. I’ve done the research so you can shop with confidence.
Our Choice: Shynerk Baby Car Mirror, 4.3” HD Night Vision Function
- 1.Safety & durability : unlike other car seat mirrors, our baby mirror can be placed on the center console of the car, offering a crystal clear view of your baby; it will increase vehicle safety index without looking back whilst driving so we as parents can feel safe and secure.
- 2.Night vision function : the camera mirror aimed at baby, with the night vision function, makes the display more clear, more bright. even when driving at night, you can clearly see the statue of the rear seat children, help you eradicate the insecurities and worries.
- 3.Easy to use : without any assemble requirement, the cameral of the rearview baby car mirror easily straps to your moveable headrest. plug the power cord to the cigarette lighter, install the lcd monitor, then it will work. the icd monitor will automatically turn on and switch to the baby back seat.
- 4. Up and down adjustable angle : after tightening your vertical and horizontal straps to your headrest, the camera in the rear seat can adjust up and down angles according to your car model and the size of the car safety seat, it allows you to keep your lovely baby in sight and look good after him or her all the time.
When over 20,000 parents rave about a car monitor, I listen. The Shynerk Baby Car Mirror, 4.3” HD Night Vision Function might just be the best baby monitor for your car on the market.
What’s so special about this baby car monitor? For starters, the monitor stays fixed on the front dash and folds down for a clean look. You can place the monitor anywhere on the dashboard, including on the front seat passenger side.
Installation is simple and straightforward. The only power source you will need is the auxiliary power source. The monitor connects directly to this source with the included cord.
The video camera attaches to the headrest where a baby mirror would normally be placed. You can adjust the camera angle easily to get a better view of your child. A small cord runs from the camera to the video monitor up front in order to see the video feed.
The monitor offers HD picture quality, including night vision. It’s also specifically designed to reduce shakiness in the video feed. Some parents noted that the night vision mode was too bright, which might be an issue if you’ll be traveling a lot in the dark.
Best Budget: AMTIFO Baby Car Mirror HD 1080P Camera Infant Rear Facing Seat
- 【Easy to Install in 5 minutes 】No tools required easily strap the baby car camera to headrest and fix the baby car monitor on dashboard / windshield,then plug the power cord to the cigarette lighter or fuse box that will works.
- 【Super Clear Image 】Baby car mirror features the 4.3-inch (Real 1080P) LCD display screen with the stable baby camera, you can see the real-time display of baby’s every move.
- 【Upgaded Night Vision Function】Baby camera for car with 7 infrared lights has night mode to see baby in the dark better than old type of car seat mirror allows to see the baby easily by quickly glancing to the monitor.Also the weak almost invisible Infared lights will not harm the baby’s eyes.
- 【WIDE VIEW ANGLE 】1080P high definition resolution that offers clear picture quality even at night.150 degree, wide viewing angle. Even when driving at night, you can clearly see the statue of the rear seat children, help you eradicate the insecurities and worries.
If you’re on a budget but want a baby monitor that doesn’t disappoint, the AMTIFO Baby Car Mirror HD 1080P Camera Infant Rear Facing Seat is for you.
I purchased this car baby monitor because it fit our budget and had stellar reviews. It did not disappoint.
I was originally worried that it would be hard to set up since it came with so many pieces. However, once I unpacked it, I realized it was a simple setup. We attached the camera to the headrest with the velcro straps, attached the cords to the monitor and camera, and plugged in the monitor to the auxiliary power outlet.
We set up our monitor to face our infant in her rear-facing car seat. This monitor can also be used for a front-facing car seat, as the camera just hooks on the headrest. The monitor can attach to either the dashboard or the front window.
The video quality is excellent and I can see my daughter much better than I could in the baby mirror. As I drove around town, I could quickly glance at the dashboard to see if she was sleeping.
The only drawback is the cords that hang down from the monitor. There may be better ways to hide the cords if you have more knowledge of your vehicle.
Display Resolution: HD (1080P) | Screen Size: 4.3 inches | Power Source: Plug
View on Amazon
Best Split Screen: Tiny Traveler | Portable Video Baby Monitor
- Monitor Anywhere: With the versatility to go completely wireless, you’ll enjoy the benefit to monitor in your car, at home, or on the go.
- Avoid turning around to see your baby and drive safer
- Automatic night vision for any low light environment
- Connect a second camera and monitor both at the same time
Suppose you have twins or a toddler and an infant in the back. You might want to monitor both children at the same time. The Tiny Traveler | Portable Video Baby Monitor is a monitor that will allow you to monitor two children on one screen.
If you purchase an additional camera, you’ll be able to connect both cameras to the same monitor. The video streams will appear side by side on your monitor. This keeps you from having to switch back and forth.
One fantastic feature of this baby car monitor is the wireless feature. The battery-operated monitor has four hours of battery life and the camera has about 8–10 hours of battery life. You can also take the video monitor out of the car and monitor from a distance if needed.
The anti-glare camera lens provides a crystal-clear video of your child. It also automatically turns on the night vision features when driving at night. Having night vision is a huge advantage to using a baby car monitor instead of a baby car mirror.
This car monitor does cost more than most baby car monitors. However, parents are thrilled with the easy installation and high-performance of this baby car monitor. The raving reviews make it one of the best battery-operated monitors for multiple children on the market.
When you’re traveling with a baby in the car, safety is a priority. Here are a few other accessories to ensure your baby is safe in the car:
Reasons to Use a Baby Monitor in the Car
A car baby monitor may seem a little excessive. Why would you need a video camera on your baby when you’re only a couple of feet in front of them?
Despite being so close to your baby, you won’t be able to keep an eye on them while your back is turned. Here are a few reasons why a baby car monitor is a great idea:
When your baby gets old enough to have a toddler snack cup full of tasty bites on the road, you’ll want to monitor them. When a child chokes, they won’t be able to make a sound. This makes it dangerous for them to eat without supervision.
With baby car monitors you can keep a close eye on them as they snack. You can also remind them to take smaller bites or slow down.
Ensure Proper Seatbelt Position
Toddlers are notorious for slipping out of their seatbelts or adjusting their chest clips. If you keep a camera on your little one, they won’t be able to unbuckle without you noticing. Keeping your baby properly buckled is key to safety in case of an accident.
Monitor Breathing and Head Position
Babies often fall asleep on long car rides. While this is perfectly fine, it’s important you monitor their head position. If your child’s head falls forward, it can cut off their air supply.
Using a car baby monitor with a night vision feature will allow you to monitor them while they sleep. If your baby’s head tilts forward you can stop the car and reposition them for safety.
Choosing the Best Car Baby Monitor That Suits Your Needs
When you shop for car baby monitors, you’ll have a variety of choices. With so many features, it’s hard to know what to look for.
Here’s an easy guide to choosing the best car baby monitor for your needs:
Decide on Wireless or Wired
You’ll have two choices in baby car monitors: wired or wireless. A wired baby monitor will require a connection cord that runs from the camera to the monitor. A wireless baby monitor won’t require this video cord.
Either will work fine. Most parents choose to run the cord underneath the floor mats so it doesn’t get in the way. A wireless monitor won’t get in the way but will run on batteries that will need to be recharged.
Look for Night Vision Feature
When you purchase a car baby monitor, be sure that it has night vision. This will allow you to monitor your baby at night without turning on the lights. Night vision is especially helpful for long road trips at night.
Ensure the Camera is High Quality
Reading the parent reviews is the best way to determine if the video quality will live up to your expectations. You’ll want to be sure the picture is clear and won’t leave you frustrated. A higher-priced camera doesn’t always mean it yields a clearer picture, so be sure to check the reviews.
Look for Split Screen for Multiple Children
The best baby monitor for twins or multiple children is one that features split-screen monitoring. This allows you to connect two cameras to the same monitor. Split-screen is a rare feature, so be sure to confirm your monitor will allow this before purchasing.
Can car baby monitors get hacked?
Thankfully, a baby car monitor doesn’t have the ability to get hacked since it doesn’t run on wifi. Wifi baby monitors have the ability to get hacked if parents don’t set up the proper security. To prevent baby monitor hacks parents should keep up with security updates and monitor activity.
Where should you mount a baby monitor in a car?
When deciding where to mount a baby monitor in your car, be sure the placement won’t impair your view of the road. You want a convenient location such as your dashboard or front. Test the location before driving and reposition as needed.
The best adaptive strollers are designed to accommodate individuals with special needs, disabilities, or mobility challenges. Find our favorites here!
Whether you’re heading back to work or pumping exclusively, breast milk storage bags are a must-have for your supply. Check out our list of the best.
Braille and Literacy, Product Reviews, Visual Impairment
Dana Meachen Rau's book, Sense of Play, follows the adventures of Chip and Joy as they play. Chip is blind, but this doesn't get in the way of their play!