The 7 Best Cribs for Twins of 2023
- What you look for when buying cribs for your twins will depend on your individual needs and preferences.
- You’ll need to consider your space, if you need something portable, and your budget.
- There are many clever ways to save space, including mini cribs and foldable cribs.
- A convertible crib can extend the life of your crib, changing its purpose as your babies grow.
- Our picks for the best cribs for twins will give them a safe and secure place to sleep.
Double the babies, double the joy, double the cribs!
If your twin babies have outgrown their bassinets, you’ll need to upgrade to more spacious cribs.
But with so many options, finding the perfect crib for your little ones can be overwhelming. Between a lack of space, a tight budget, and little free time (because who has time to research with twins on their hands?), it’s no surprise if you’re feeling stressed.
We’ve scoured the market to find you the best cribs for twins, so you can spend less time researching and more time snuggling with your little ones.
From cribs that can fit into smaller spaces to ones that fold for easy travel, we’ve got something to suit every family.
Our Choice: Dream On Me 2-in-1 Lightweight Folding Portable Stationary Side Crib
- DUAL USE: This crib delights with its functionality . The crib assembly is quick and the U.S. patented rail design easily helps convert it from a crib to a playpen in seconds, making it a nursery must-have .
- COMPACT and PORTABLE: The unique hinge system allows it to fold flat for compact storage. It’s lightweight frame with wheels allow easy maneuverability and portability, making it the ideal travel companion. Product weight is 32 lbs
- SAFETY MATTERS: The stationary (non drop side) rail system and dual hooded, locking wheels provide the utmost in product safety. It meets applicable ASTM/CPSC standards
- NEAT DESIGN: Made of pinewood, it’s lean, minimalist design and six stylish finish options give it a versatile appeal, allowing it to mix and match into any room decor. One inch crib mattress and tools for easy assembly included
This mini-crib from Dream On Me is our overall favorite.
We love that it folds flat so you can easily store it during the day (and gain more floor space for playtime!). The caster wheels mean it’s really simple to reconfigure your room if your layout isn’t working, or you need to move your twins’ distance from each other. The wheels also lock so you don’t have to worry about your little ones rolling it around the room!
Some other great features of this crib are:
- Easy to convert from crib to playpen
- 8 different color options to choose from
- Reasonable price – one of the most affordable options available
- 1-year warranty for your peace of mind
- Easy to assemble and fold
One thing to note is that this crib’s maximum weight limit is 35 lbs, which is less than some competitors. Most babies will reach this weight when they’re around 2 years old, so they may be ready to transition to a toddler bed at this time.
Best Travel Crib: Lotus Travel Crib
- 【CERTIFIED SAFE & LOW-VOC】It’s surprising, but some baby products, including play yards, still contain harsh chemicals. That didn’t fly with our team, so we had the Lotus tested, and certified, GreenGuard Gold – one of the only portable play yards to do so. What does that mean? No PVC, lead, formaldehyde, mercury, arsenic, phthalates, or other dangerous chemicals. Whether resting or playing, the Lotus truly creates a safe and comfortable environment for your little one
- 【WORRY-FREE AIRPORT TRAVEL】3D Z-Fold Technology allows it to fold compact enough to carry through airports, making the Lotus Travel Crib a baby travel essential. The durable yet lightweight design weighs only 15 lbs and can be set up in just 15 seconds! The foldable crib’s ability to be carried as a lightweight backpack allows you to travel hands-free with ease.
- 【BUILD A BETTER BOND】Quietly and easily unzip the lockable side door to help your baby fall asleep or turn the portable crib into a play yard. With the door open, you can nurse or cuddle your little one to help them feel safe and secure in a new place and foster an even stronger connection. The updated insulated mattress has a thick, soft foam approved for overnight sleep (ages 0-3) making it a safe and comfortable environment for both resting and playing.
- 【LASTING COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE】The Lotus Crib portable playard is made with high-quality aluminum and non-slip rubberized feet, making it travel-ready and easy to assemble. It’s perfect for parents on-the-go who need a reliable and convenient portable travel crib. Plus, our portable toddler bed features a full-height ClearView mesh design for better visibility & airflow.
We’re seriously impressed by this innovative travel crib from Lotus, which converts into a backpack!
At the time of writing, this is the only travel and play yard crib certified by Greenguard Gold. It’s a full-sized crib but folds into a compact backpack for easy transportation and storage. We also love the side zip, which makes it really easy to cuddle, play, or nurse your baby while they’re in their crib.
The portability is the star of the show with this crib, and it’s a great option for families that frequently travel. You’ll love the ease of bringing it as carry-on luggage if you frequently fly.
You may miss the additional features such as different mattress heights and color options. It’s also one of the more expensive options, so you’ll need to carefully consider how much you will use it before committing.
Best Convertible: Carter’s by DaVinci Colby 4-in-1 Convertible Crib
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: This product has undergone rigorous scientific testing for over 10,000 chemical emissions and VOCs. It contributes to cleaner indoor air, creating a healthier environment for your baby to sleep, play, and grow
- GROWS WITH BABY: Four adjustable mattress positions that can be lowered as your baby begins to sit and stand. Easily converts to toddler bed, daybed, and full-size bed (toddler conversion kit #M11999 and full-size conversion kit #M5789 sold separately)
- ADDITIONAL STORAGE: Spacious trundle drawer to fit all the crib sheets, baby blankies and more
- FOR YOUR BABY’S SAFETY: Say goodbye to toxic chemicals! Made of solid sustainable New Zealand pine and TSCA compliant engineered wood. Finished in a non-toxic multi-step painting process and lead and phthalate safe
This crib from DaVinci Colby is a top choice if you have the space for full-sized cribs. It’s a fantastic convertible crib.
While it’s one of the more high-end choices, this crib is designed to last long past the baby stage. It boasts conversion from a crib to a toddler bed, day bed, and even a full bed. It’s also got 4 mattress height settings so you can make sure you have the perfect height position for your baby.
Unlike many of the options on our list, this isn’t a mini crib. Luckily there’s a spacious trundle drawer so you won’t need another piece of furniture to store bedding and blankets. You may find you don’t miss the floor space with the additional storage it provides.
Most Stylish: Dream On Me Bellport 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib
- CONVERTIBILITY OPTIONS: Keep pace with your growing child’s changing needs with the Bellport 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib. Starting as a mini crib, you can convert it into a mini daybed and twin-size bed (bed rails sold separately)
- IDEAL FOR SMALL SPACES: The Bellport boasts a compact and modern design. Internally roomy, it occupies a small footprint, perfect for co-sharing and making the most of small nurseries. Product specs: 39L x 25.5W x 37.5H inches
- LONG-LASTING BUY: The Bellport is made of durable, sustainable and renewable New Zealand pinewood. Choose from 4 pleasant non-toxic, child-safe, water-based finishes & combine with varying patterns and textures to create your dream nursery
- MATTRESS COMPATIBILITY – Comes with 1″ OEM Mattress pad. For additional aftermarket mattress purchase, we recommend any Dream On Me, non-toxic, Greenguard certified mini crib mattress.
We love the stylish look of this Dream On Me mini convertible crib.
Its modern design converts from a crib, to a daybed, to a twin bed (with a Hollywood bed frame). It can also be used as a sofa which is a great option when your children are older. This is a crib that can grow with your family, providing you with good value for money.
Most cribs come in a range of white, gray, or natural wood finishes. The Bellport adds two on-trend shades: light seafoam green and safari green. It’s made of New Zealand pine wood and has a non-toxic water-based finish.
Best Mini-Crib: Delta Children Folding Portable Mini Baby Crib
- GREAT CRIB FOR SMALL SPACES OR TRAVEL: Crib includes casters for easy mobility; Folds flat for easy travel and storage; The included mattress (size: 37.5 Inches L x 23.25 Inches D x 1.5 Inches ) stores right in the crib when folded
- GROWS WITH BABY: The 2 position mattress height adjustment on this crib allows you to lower the mattress as your baby begins to sit or stand
- BUILT TO LAST: Strong and sturdy wood construction helps create a dream nursery where you’ll spend plenty of Mommy and Me/Daddy and Me time; Easy assembly
- WE PUT YOUR BABY’S SAFETY FIRST: This crib is JPMA certified to meet or exceed all safety standards set by the CPSC & ASTM; Tested for lead and other toxic elements to meet or exceed government and ASTM safety standards
Another great space-saver perfect for tight spaces is this Delta Children Mini Crib.
Mini cribs are a great choice for twin babies as they save so much space.
Similar to our top pick, this crib folds flat and has wheels for easy storage and portability. Unlike the Dream On Me crib, its wheels don’t lock into position. This is a significant drawback, although you could fold it away to ensure your children don’t wheel it around.
The included mattress fits into the crib while folded for your ease. Some parents feel that the mattress could be better quality and recommend buying a more comfortable one for your child.
Most Affordable: Graco Pack ‘n Play Portable Playard
- Folding feet and wheels allow for a 20% more compact fold than the average playard, making it easy to store and carry
- Mesh storage pouch for keeping baby’s essentials, including wipes and toys, right on playard
- Convenient carrying bag for no-fuss travel and storage
- Signature Graco push-button fold makes folding your playard quick and hassle-free
If you’re on a tight budget, you may want to consider a Graco Pack ‘n Play.
This option from Graco is well-rated by other parents and is very affordable. Pack ‘n Play’s take up more space, but double up as a safe play space or fold away when you need. As the name suggests, they’re easy to ‘pack’ so are well suited to families who need portability.
This Pack ‘n Play has an easy-to-use button fold-down system that collapses it in seconds. This feature is a lifesaver when you’re a busy parent of twins!
Best Crib with Extra Features: Storkcraft Portofino Convertible Crib and Changer
- 5-IN-1 CONVERTIBLE CRIB: Converts from baby crib (mattress sold separately) to toddler bed (toddler guardrail sold separately), daybed, and full-size bed with headboard & optional footboard (conversion kit sold separately); Assembly required
- ATTACHED CHANGING TABLE WITH STORAGE: Baby crib with traditional sleigh design for classic nursery style; Attached changing table includes 3 enclosed storage drawers, 2 open shelves, and water-resistant changing pad with safety strap
- ADAPTS TO YOUR GROWING BABY: Adjustable mattress support base with 3 different height options; Designed to fit any standard full-size crib & toddler mattress; This baby crib may be used until your child can easily climb out or is taller than 35in (89cm)
- JPMA CERTIFIED: Expert tested to meet or exceed all applicable category voluntary and mandatory safety standards
If you’re looking for a crib that saves space, look away now!
The Storkcraft Convertible Crib is definitely the largest crib on our list, but it deserves a mention due to the built-in baby changer and drawers. When you have twins, you’re often pulled in all different directions. It can simplify things to have everything in one place, so you can quickly transfer your baby to their changing table and know you have everything to hand.
Parents praise how convenient and well-made this crib from Storkcraft is. They do warn that the assembly instructions are a little complex, so make sure you set aside plenty of time for the build! This crib also converts from the standard crib all the way to a full-sized bed (with a conversion kit).
Size Comparison Table
As space-saving is top of the agenda for many parents of twins, we’ve included all of the measurements of the cribs on our list below for easy comparison:
|Dream On Me 2-in-1 Lightweight Folding Portable Stationary Side Crib||40″L x 26″W x 38″H|
|Lotus Travel Crib||45.5″L x 31.5″W x 25.5″H|
|Carter’s by DaVinci Colby 4-in-1 Convertible Crib||55.8″L x 29.69″W x 35.43″H|
|Dream On Me Bellport 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib||39″L x 25.5″W x 37.5″H|
|Delta Children Folding Portable Mini Baby Crib||54.25″L x 29.5″W x 35″H|
|Graco Pack and Play Portable Playard||39.5″L x 28.5″W x 29″H|
|Storkcraft Portofino Convertible Crib and Changer||32.91″L x 70.78″W x 43.11″H|
You’ll need a mattress and sheets for your cribs or mini cribs. You might also want to add a mobile for your twins to enjoy.
Some cribs include a mattress, while others require you to buy one separately.
If you’re buying a crib mattress, here are some things to consider:
- Safety: According to guidance from the American Academy of Pediatrics (APP), your mattress needs to be firm and not indent. We always recommend you check the safety certifications of crib mattresses before buying.
- Correct Fit: It should fit your crib snuggly with no gaps. Remember to search for a “mini crib” specific mattress if you’re buying for a mini crib.
- Materials: We recommend you look for a hypo-allergenic, breathable mattress that’s easy to clean. Organic crib mattresses may also be a good option.
Take a look at our list of best mini crib mattresses here.
There are so many different designs and sheet materials to choose from.
Similar to your mattress, your sheet should fit snugly without bunching and you should look for soft and easy-to-clean materials. Choose a design you enjoy or one that matches your babys’ nursery.
There are so many beautiful mobile choices on the market. Why not pick two different designs and rotate them so your twins can enjoy them both at different times?
Make sure you pick a mobile that attaches securely and meets the latest safety standards.
Do You Need Two Cribs for Your Twins?
It’s natural for twins to want to be close to each other, but can they sleep in the same crib? Safe sleep guidance for twins varies across countries due to the lack of reliable data on the subject.
For example, in the U.K, the National Health Service (NHS) recommends that twins can sleep in the same space while they’re small enough to. The American Academy of Pediatrics (APP), however, recommends separate sleep surfaces due to the lack of compelling evidence on co-bedding safety.
Studies show that many parents of twins start with co-bedding but move to separate sleep spaces as their babies become too big to share. You’re therefore likely to need two cribs for your twins.
What to Consider When Choosing a Crib for Twins
Depending on how much room you have and what your family priorities are, you may want different things.
These are some of the common features families with twins look for when buying a crib:
- Size of the crib – you may want a more space-saving option
- Convertible options that grow with your babies and can be used as a toddler bed
- Built-in storage
- Style and design
How long can twins stay in the same crib?
As the APP advises that twins remain on separate sleep surfaces from the start, we recommend that your twins not sleep in the same crib.
Many of the families who do choose to have their twins in the same crib at the start change to separate sleep spaces as their twins grow older. It’s also important to make sure to separate your twins if either of them starts to roll.
Can I use a bassinet instead of a crib for twins?
While your twins are young, twin bassinets are a popular choice. A twin bassinet helps to keep them close to you and to each other.
Bassinets are most suitable for newborn twins, and they will outgrow them (usually between 3-6 months of age).
Take a look at our round-up of the best twin bassinets of 2023.
Can I use a crib divider to separate twins in one crib?
While a crib divider might seem like a good idea to stop your twins from bumping into each other, they’re not recommended because they pose a safety risk. The safest option is separate cribs for your baby twins.
Are convertible cribs a good choice for twins?
Convertible cribs can be a very good choice for twins, as they can be used as a standard crib, toddler bed, and even a full-size bed as your babies grow. This can be a cost-effective option in the long run, as you won’t need to purchase multiple beds as your babies outgrow their cribs.
A convertible mini crib gives you the option of convertibility while still saving space.
Braille and Literacy, Product Reviews, Visual Impairment
Dana Meachen Rau's book, Sense of Play, follows the adventures of Chip and Joy as they play. Chip is blind, but this doesn't get in the way of their play!
Wondering whether white noise will help your little one sleep better? Here’s our guide to the best baby sound machines to help your baby fall asleep soundly.
Heard a lot about weighted blankets and lap pads and wondering how to choose one? Here’s our guide to the ins and outs of finding the right weighted blanket.