The 11 Best Mini Crib Mattresses of 2023
- A mini crib is an excellent option for living in a smaller space like an apartment. They also provide a cozier, tighter sleeping environment to which many babies, especially newborns, respond well.
- A mini crib, bassinet, or crib alternative is usually easier to set up, store, and transport. Mini crib mattresses are lighter and smaller, making them easier to move on your own.
- Mini crib mattresses are more affordable and often make it easier for babies to sleep in the same room as their caregivers (recommended for the first six months.)
- When searching for the best crib mattress, consider the following: longevity (do you need one that’s 2-sided?), firmness, core materials, and things like breathability and being non-toxic and allergen-free. All these factors influence the type of mattress you shop for.
- Look for a mini crib mattress that is GREENGUARD Certified to ensure it’s manufactured with the fewest chemicals and has been proven to emit minimal fumes around your baby. It’s recommended to buy as organic and natural a mattress as possible.
When searching for the best mini crib mattresses for your baby, consider the primary uses and your must-have features.
Do you need something portable for sleepovers at grandma’s house? How about waterproof? Durable, long-lasting, or budget-friendly? We’ve got you covered with this list of the best mini crib mattresses of 2023.
Top Choice: Babyletto Pure Core Mini Crib Mattress
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: This mattress has undergone rigorous scientific testing for over 10,000 chemical emissions and VOCs; It contributes to cleaner indoor air, creating a healthier environment for your baby to sleep, play, and grow
- 2-IN-1 WATERPROOF REMOVABLE & WASHABLE COVER: Multifunctional cover with a soft quilted cotton face and PVC-free waterproof backing to protect the mattress against accidents; The zipper closure and square corner design ensure a seamless sheet fit
- LIGHTWEIGHT & FIRM SUPPORT: Firm and supportive for infants; Lightweight at only 4lbs
- MINI-CRIB SIZE: Designed to fit mini cribs (37.5″ x 23.5″ x 3″)
The Babyletto Pure Core Mini Crib Mattress is affordably priced and highly rated, ensuring that you’ll feel like you’re getting a great value with this mattress. Reviewers appreciated that it was light, breathable, and felt exceptionally soft and comforting to the touch.
- Comes with a hybrid removable, washable waterproof cover
- At just 4 lbs., lightweight but firm for infants
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified
- Made from a 100% recyclable polyester core and passes all fire-safety requirements
Best Overall: Organic Dream 5″ Mini Crib Mattress
- SAFER FOR YOUR BABY: When it comes to your infant and toddler, we know that safety comes first. Our mattress is GREENGUARD Gold Certified. That means that our mattresses have gone through rigorous testing and have very low VOCs, reducing the emission of toxic, synthetic chemicals.
- MINI CRIB MATTRESSES: This organic mini crib mattress is for mini and portable cribs measuring 38″L x 24″W x 5″H. This is GREENGUARD Certified, 100% breathable, and proven to reduce the risk of suffocation. Choose from a variety of features, such as a cooling gel topper, lightweight core, dual stage for both infants and toddlers, and so much more. All of our mattresses come with a washable cover.
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC: We hold ourselves to the highest standard when sourcing and manufacturing the materials we use for our baby bed mattresses. Our mattresses are proudly made in the USA using high-quality domestic and imported fabrics. This is a 5 inch thick mini crib mattress.
- ALWAYS BREATHABLE: With each layer of the Organic Dream crib mattress, we’ve ensured that this firm but soft sleep pad is 100% breathable. This offers ongoing airflow, which is proven to reduce the risk of suffocation. Parenthood is full of challenges; rest easy when you buy Organic Dream.
The Organic Dream Mini Crib Mattress is an excellent choice for parents looking for a crib mattress to last through infancy into toddlerhood. We love that this organic mattress is GREENGUARD Gold Certified, breathable, and extremely comfortable.
- Washable cover
- 2 stages: an extra firm side for infants and a more plush side for toddlers
- 100% breathable materials, proven to reduce suffocation risk
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified and certified organic materials
Best Luxury: Nook Sleep Organic Mini Crib Mattress
- Made for mini cribs and perfect for small spaces
- GREENGUARD Gold certified
- Comes with Nook’s Pebble crib mattress cover
- Removable, machine-washable and easy-to-use
Nook is a newer luxury baby brand, and their Organic Mini Crib Mattress is already pulling in rave reviews for its beautiful construction and soft-touch design.
Made from non-toxic, premium, organic materials, reviewers enjoyed how comfortable it felt on their baby’s skin and the convenient washable mattress cover.
- GREENGUARD Gold certified
- Easy-to-clean washable mattress cover
- Core materials consist of organic coconut coir and wool
Best Budget: Delta Children Serta SleepTrue Mini Crib Mattress
- FITS MOST MINI & PORTABLE CRIBS: This crib mattress fits most mini cribs and portable cribs; mattress measures 38″L x 24″W x 4″H (not designed for standard cribs or pack ‘n plays) | Measure your crib first to ensure a perfect fit.General Note: Please allow 24 – 72 hours for your Mattress to regain its full shape. Any memory foam will expand faster in a warmer room. In cold temperature, at delivery, your mattress may take a bit longer to return to full sized from its compressed state.The expansion time of the mattress will vary as per the surrounding
- IDEAL SUPPORT FOR BABY: This mini crib baby mattress features a premium sustainably sourced firm fiber core made from upcycled plastic bottles for a healthier, longer sleep for your baby| Non-toxic construction is free from harmful materials/chemicals
- WATERPROOF DESIGN IS EASY TO CLEAN: Features a durable, waterproof vinyl cover that wipes clean and is hypoallergenic
- SAFETY CERTIFICATIONS: GREENGUARD Gold certified: recognizes products with low chemical emissions, contributing to healthier environments | Meets or exceeds flammability, lead, phthalate and CPSIA testing and does not contain toxic fire retardants
The Delta Children Serta SleepTrue Mini Crib Mattress is an excellent budget-friendly option from a trusted brand offering a 10-year warranty on all mattresses. A wonderful value for a mattress made from recycled materials, so it’s good for the environment, too!
- Eco-friendly: sustainably sourced premium materials come from upcycled plastic bottles
- A hypoallergenic and waterproof cover is easy to wipe clean with soap and water
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified
Best 2-Stage Mattress: Bundle of Dreams 5″ Organic 2-Stage Mini Crib Mattress
- GOOD NIGHT’S SLEEP: Our Bundle of Dreams 2-Stage Mini-Crib Mattress is hypoallergenic and Greenguard Gold Certified. It’s made with special bundle fiber with Memory Technology so your baby can enjoy a restful, comfortable sleep.
- DUAL FIRMNESS: Our baby bed mattress for cribs can grow and adjust with your baby from infant to toddler. You can start them off using the firmer side, then flip it over to use the comfortable plush side for your growing toddler.
- BREATHABLE: Our toddler bed mattress is wrapped in an organic cotton cover so they can lay in complete comfort. It allows air to pass through, which can help regulate your child’s body temperature.
- PARENT FRIENDLY: Babies are a magnet for spills and diaper accidents. Our baby mattress cover is water-repellent and machine-washable for easier cleaning.
The Bundle of Dreams 2-Stage Crib Mattresses offers a firm side for infants and a softer foam side for toddlers. We like that this mattress is easy to clean with a removable cover you can toss in the washing machine.
- Organic, breathable materials help regulate your baby’s core body temperature
- Water-repellent, machine-washable cover
- Made from eco-friendly, non-toxic, recyclable materials
Best Travel-Friendly: Dream On Me Holly 3″ Fiber Portable/Mini Crib Mattress
- EXTRA SUPPORT & COMFORT: The inner core is constructed with extra firm Eco-fiber for extra support and Embossed Soft Vinyl Cover, Waterproof binding to keeps the mattress fresh adds to the comfort.General Note: Please allow 24 – 72 hours for your Mattress to regain its full shape. Any memory foam will expand faster in a warmer room. In cold temperature, at delivery, your mattress may take a bit longer to return to full sized from its compressed state.The expansion time of the mattress will vary as per the surrounding
- SAFETY ASSURED: Green Guard Gold Certified to ensure the highest level of health, safety and peace of mind. Made In the USA –Dream On Me Crib and Toddler Mattresses are designed, engineered and proudly made in the USA
- IDEAL CHOICE FOR YOUR MINI CRIBS: This baby mattress fits most mini cribs and portable cribs; mattress measures 37″L x 24″W x 3″H (not designed for standard cribs or pack ‘n plays) | measure your crib first to ensure a perfect fit.Top:Foam
- EASY MAINTENANCE: The mattress is easy to maintain and easily wipes clean with warm water and a mild soap
Dream On Me Portable Crib Mattress is budget conscious and the ideal light, portable, travel-friendly mini crib mattresses. The core is made from firm, supportive, eco-fiber materials, and the waterproof vinyl cover easily wipes clean with warm water and soap.
- Waterproof cover is easy to clean
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified
- Dual-sided mattress for various firmness
- Lightweight and durable, weighing just 2.5lbs
Best Outdoors: Trifold Foldable Travel Pack-n-Play Mattress Pad
No products found.
This Trifold Foldable Travel Pack-n-Play Mattress is an excellent option for a pack-n-play, play yard, or as a portable nap mat.
The perfect balance of firmness and softness for your baby to feel comfortable and ready to sleep. Plus, it’s lightweight, non-slip, and ultra travel-friendly.
- Folds up easily and is lightweight enough to bring on trips or to visit family
- Comes with a machine-washable, waterproof vinyl cover
- Safe and superior snug fit for standard pack-n-plays—no gaps means a safer experience for your baby
Best Pack-n-Play Mini Mattress: Organic Cotton Pack-N-Play Mattress
No products found.
This Organic Cotton Pack-N-Play is highly-rated, and a top-seller for crib mattresses. Reviewers love how it’s firm, supportive, yet cozy—like a soft hug from the memory foam. It’s also an excellent value, as this two-sided mattress will last your child for years.
If you’re still on the fence about using a pack-n-play vs. a crib, note that pack-n-plays are great for outdoors or traveling. In this case, having a washable cover is necessary.
Foam crib mattresses are often a parents’ preferred choice for mini and portable cribs because they’re lightweight, flexible, and allow airflow.
- Crafted from memory foam and is only 3.5″ thick
- A mattress your baby won’t outgrow—has a unique 2-stage reversible design to go from baby to toddler
- Handy “infant” and “toddler” labels let you know which side is facing up, and rounded corners secure a snug fit without gaps
- The removable waterproof cover is made from soft, organic cotton
- Safe for sleep and play; manufactured following the strictest safety and quality standards for lifetime performance
Best Breathable: Dream On Me Snuggles Breathable Mini Crib Mattress
- COZY & COMFORTABLE: Embossed Soft Breathable Cover to allow air flow and give your little one a cozy and comfortable nap. The Periwinkle finish adds a touch of fairy-tale land to your little one’s nursery.General Note: Please allow 24 – 72 hours for your Mattress to regain its full shape. Any memory foam will expand faster in a warmer room. In cold temperature, at delivery, your mattress may take a bit longer to return to full sized from its compressed state.The expansion time of the mattress will vary as per the surrounding
- EASY MAINTENANCE: Cleaning Dream on Me Snuggles Mini Crib Mattress is easy. Clean with a warm water and a mild soap to maintain freshness
- LIGHTWEIGHT & FIRM: Weighing at around 2.5 lbs, The Snuggles Breathable mattress is lightweight with a square corner design for a snug fit. Extra Firm fiber offers perfect sleep environment and support
- SAFETY GUARANTEED: Snuggles Mattress is Greenguard Gold Certified for highest level of safety & health. Passes all Federal Standard Flammability Standard (16 CFR 1633) tests
The Dream On Me Snuggles Mini Crib Mattress is breathable and allows for maximum airflow thanks to its soft, breezy cover. This mattress is still firm for newborns yet cozy and comfortable by helping to regulate your baby’s temperature.
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified for the highest standards of safety and health
- Lightweight mattress is only 2.5 lbs. and is easy to transport
- Square corners ensure a snug fit for your crib
- Can easily be cleaned with warm water and mild soap
Best Organic, Eco-Friendly: LA Baby 3″ Soy Foam Mini/Portable Crib Mattress
- For Mini/Portable cribs only. Does NOT fit full-sized cribs.
- Waterproof cover with 100% Organic Cotton top layer cradles your baby’s delicate skin. Non-toxic, non-allergenic and luxurious to the touch.
- CertiPUR-US Certified soy foam core provides extra support to baby’s developing spine.
- Proudly made in the U.S.A from domestic and imported sources.1 year warranty.
The LA Baby 3″ Soy Foam Mini Crib Mattress is a great foam option. Reviewers rave about how it fits the Babeletto mini crib perfectly and that foam mattresses provide an ultra-soft luxurious touch with firm support.
- A 100% organic cotton top layer that is non-toxic, hypoallergenic, and luxurious to the touch
- Removable waterproof cover is organic cotton based
- Certi-PUR-US Certified soy foam core is supportive and firm
- Comes with a one-year warranty
Best Cooling Mattress: Moonlight Slumber Mini Crib Mattress
- Dual Firmness MINI Crib Mattress / Porta Crib Mattress with Temperature controlling cool gel memory foam toddler side and a firmer density foam on the infant side for lightweight, dual sided support. Measures 38x24x5″
- Made in the USA, The Baby Bluebird , with removable plush cotton cover, cover, is Water, Stain, and Odor Resistant, boasts Dual Firmness; Extra Firm Infant Side and Softer side for Toddlers and is backed by a LIFETIME WARRANTY against manufacturer’s defects
- Removable cover, made with Premium lush cotton (30% organic cotton), zips off for easy laundering. Moonlight Slumber Baby Mattress Under-flex-cover remains intact and ready for naps even during your laundry cycle! Transition seamlessly from crib to toddler bed. Dimensions of 38″ x 24″ x 5″ will fit any standard Mini crib and Mini toddler bed.
- Safety and warranty:UL Greenguard Gold certified, CertiPUR-US Certified Foam, Woven Fire Barrier with No Spray-On FR Chemicals.
The Moonlight Slumber Mini Crib Mattress is 5″ thick, offering dual-sided firmness for your baby or toddler. A cool gel polyurethane foam keeps your baby’s temperature even and comfortable, especially if you live in hotter climates.
- Made in the USA
- Removable plush cotton cover is water, stain, and odor resistant
- Mattress under-flex cover remains intact and ready for naps even if the cover is in the laundry
- Backed by a lifetime warranty
- GREENGUARD Gold Certified and CertiPUR-US Certified foam to meet your home’s highest safety and health standards
- Mattress contains two layers of memory foam infused with plant oils providing the right firmness for your baby at all stages
- Flexible fabric cover is designed to move under and adapt to your baby
Best Mini Crib: Dream on Me Aden Convertible Mini Crib
- LONG LASTING – Made of New Zealand pinewood, the Aden 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib is both durable and stylish. A clean design and small footprint allow it to fit into any nursery theme. All tools for assembly are included
- 4-in-1 CONVERTIBILITY OPTIONS – The Aden grows along with your child . You can convert the crib into a mini daybed and a twin size bed and it has a convenient 3-position mattress support system(Twin Size Rail and Bed frame sold separately)
- YOUR SAFETY MATTERS – The Aden 4-in-1 is JPMA Certified to meet or exceed all safety standards set by the CPSC and ASTM. All of our products are tested by 3rd party labs for lead and other toxic elements. The cribs features beautiful non-toxic, child-safe, water-based finishes.
- SMALL WONDER – Compact dimensions mean the Aden occupies a small footprint. But internally it is very spacious, making it ideal for small nurseries, co-sharing or when you have multiple kids to tend to
It wouldn’t be right to recommend the best mini crib mattress without suggesting a top-selling highly-recommended mini crib, like the Dream On Me Aden Convertible Mini Crib.
We love that it’s made from New Zealand pinewood with a beautiful non-toxic espresso finish. This lovely crib allows you to adjust to three different height settings to grow with your baby.
Best Mini Crib Mattress Protector: GRT Waterproof Mini Crib Mattress Protector
The GRT Pack-N-Play Mini Crib Mattress Protector is 100% waterproof with four layers of protection while maintaining breathability and high safety standards.
Machine washable and dryer friendly, these snug-fit mattress protectors are easy to swap out during sleepy middle-of-the-night changes.
Are Mini Crib Mattresses Better?
While it’s not necessarily better or worse, many parents find several benefits that make a mini crib a smart choice, either full-time or occasionally.
The best mini cribs have many benefits:
Mini Cribs are Excellent for Living in Smaller Spaces
If you don’t have a lot of free space, a full-sized crib feels like a massive piece of furniture—especially when you consider the tiny body in it. If you want to save space or have multiple little ones, using a mini crib or bassinet will make sense until your child needs a bed.
Mini Cribs are Easier to Use, Easy to Set Up, and Portable
Many crib alternatives are foldable and convenient to set up and pack away. This is useful when adding a new baby to another child’s room or having your baby visit with family.
Mini Cribs Are Perfect for Newborns
A mini crib or bassinet provides a cozier space for newborns to sleep in. Many parents feel more secure having their newborn baby sleep in a smaller area.
AAP Safety Standards recommend sleeping with your baby in your bedroom, not in your bed, for the first six months. A mini crib is perfect for having your baby sleep comfortably next to you without taking up much space.
Mini Cribs are More Affordable
Having a baby requires you to buy so much. For many, a full-sized crib is an expense they don’t want to invest in right away. Luckily, a mini crib is an excellent, safe, and affordable option for families on a budget.
What Makes a Crib Mattress Mini?
Try to land on the most ideal features for your family, like price, material, and longevity.
The typical mini crib is about 38 inches (97 cm) long by 24 inches (61 cm) wide. The top rail is only required to be 20 inches (51 cm) high.
However, the US Government regulates and mandates the size of a full-sized baby crib by law.
Full-sized cribs must be 52 inches (133cm) long by 28 inches (71cm) wide. The top rail of the crib needs to be 26 inches (66 cm) high from the mattress and at least 6 inches off the ground.
What Should You Look for in a Mini Crib Mattress?
If you decide to do some shopping for the best mini crib mattress, consider the following:
- Longevity: Some mini crib mattresses are 2-stage for a longer lasting mattress that converts from extra firm for babies and softer for toddlers. These are an excellent option for a parent looking to get a good value out of their mattress or use it for multiple children.
- Firmness: Babies need to sleep on a firm mattress to reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). To test if your baby’s mattress is firm enough: press firmly on the mattress and release. It should snap back immediately. Test it all over, from the center to the edges.
- Materials: Your baby spends more than half of her first year asleep. Make sure your baby is on a non-toxic, GREENGUARD Gold Certified, breathable mattress. If your budget allows, get as organic as possible.
- Purpose: Consider where and how you’ll use your mini crib mattress. This will influence how lightweight, thin, or portable you might need it to be.
When can my baby switch to the plush toddler side of the 2-stage mini crib mattress?
Typically, parents flip their mini crib mattresses when their baby is around one year old.
However, depending on the child, your baby might be ready to flip a little sooner or later. You will see signs of your baby turning over and getting more mobile during sleep.
Check with your pediatrician first if you feel it’s time to flip your toddler’s mattress.
How thick should a mini crib mattress be?
A mini crib mattress should be around 3–5 inches thick, but it’s not mandated by law. Some portable ones are as thin as 1.5 inches.
What is the best material for a mini crib mattress?
Organic crib mattresses are ideal if your budget allows, made from cotton, wool, and other naturally sourced materials that limit chemicals and fumes in their production.
Make sure you have the correct firmness for your baby’s age and breathable materials to reduce the risk of suffocation.
How should you clean a crib mattress?
If your mattress has a removable cover, these are usually washed safely in the laundry machine (double-check the label or manufacturer’s website.)
Vacuum the mattress to suck up any dust or dirt. Scrub the mattress with warm water and a gentle detergent. Make sure to thoroughly wipe the detergent off the mattress’s surface, getting any crevices and the sides as well.
Press a dry towel into the mattress to wick away any excess moisture and air dry, ideally in the sun. Bacteria and mold love dampness, so ensure the mattress is dried thoroughly before putting it back into your baby’s crib.
You can spritz the mattress with a little disinfectant to kill bacteria. Make sure to allow the mattress to air dry completely—in the sun, if possible.
How often should a mini crib mattress be cleaned?
Experts recommend washing your child’s bedding once a week and cleaning their mattress once a month.
How long can a baby use a mini crib mattress?
It depends on your baby’s size because every crib and crib alternative has height and weight restrictions.
For safety, experts recommend that babies sleep in a crib until around age three. Most mini cribs have a weight capacity of around 45 lbs., the typical weight of a 2–3-year-old. You should also check the manufacturer’s recommendations for height and weight limits.
Are all mini crib mattresses the same size?
No, the government does not regulate the size of mini crib mattresses like they do for standard full-sized ones.
However, typically they’re approximately 38 inches (97 cm) long by 24 inches (61 cm) wide.
The best adaptive strollers are designed to accommodate individuals with special needs, disabilities, or mobility challenges. Find our favorites here!
Whether you’re heading back to work or pumping exclusively, breast milk storage bags are a must-have for your supply. Check out our list of the best.
Braille and Literacy, Product Reviews, Visual Impairment
Dana Meachen Rau's book, Sense of Play, follows the adventures of Chip and Joy as they play. Chip is blind, but this doesn't get in the way of their play!