The 5 Best Mini Cribs of 2023
- The best mini cribs are comfortable, affordable, and space-saving alternatives to large standard-sized cribs.
- Convertible mini cribs are more versatile than standard cribs and can turn into toddler beds when you’re ready to transition.
- Portable mini cribs can double as bassinets and travel beds and are easy to transport and store.
Given how tiny babies are, they sure do take up a lot of space! Even a large home with plenty of space can fill up very quickly with strollers, bassinets, car seats, cribs, toys – the baby gear list goes on and on.
Finding room for a big bulky crib may be a challenge if you have a limited amount of space or if your baby has older siblings. That’s why mini cribs are so ingenious. Designed to save space while still providing your baby with a comfortable, safe sleeping space, they can do a lot of things that full-size cribs can’t.
Many mini cribs are portable and convertible to toddler beds when the time comes. Even if you have the space for a full-size crib, check out our list of the best mini cribs of 2023, and you might just change your mind!
Our Top Choice: DaVinci Kalani 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: This product has undergone rigorous scientific testing for over 10,000 chemical emissions and VOCs It contributes to cleaner indoor air, creating a healthier environment for your baby to sleep, play, and grow
- GROWS WITH BABY: Four adjustable mattress positions that can be lowered as your baby begins to sit and stand Easily converts to mini toddler bed, daybed, and twin-size bed (mini toddler conversion kit #M20399 and twin-size conversion kit #M4799 sold separately)
- QUALITY MATERIAL: Made of solid sustainable New Zealand pinewood and TSCA compliant engineered wood -only the best for your baby
- FOR YOUR BABY’S SAFETY: Say goodbye to toxic chemicals! Finished in a non-toxic multi-step painting process and lead and phthalate safe
In a smaller package, the DaVinci Kalani 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib does everything that its standard-sized counterpart does.
This is a great option if you’re looking for a quality, sturdy crib for a small space that will last your child until the big kid bed transition. Four adjustable mattress heights will see you safely through from newborn to toddler. Adjusting the mattress is crucial to prevent accidents from children attempting to climb out.
When it’s time to transition to sleeping in a bed, the DaVinci Kalani converts to a toddler or twin-sized bed. You can purchase the conversion kit separately.
While this is one of our favorite mini cribs, it’s missing some features that may be important to you. For example, it’s not portable. It doesn’t have wheels, so you can’t wheel it from room to room in the early newborn days.
Also, it’s not collapsible, so you can’t throw it in the trunk to take to grandma’s house. Finally, some parents report that it’s difficult to assemble and needs at least two people to put it together.
However, if you want a small, attractive crib that will last for years at a great affordable price, the Kalani 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib is a stellar choice.
Best Portable Mini Crib: Babyletto Origami Mini Portable Crib
- URBAN STYLE AND SIZE: Designed for urban living with a foldable frame with removable, locking caster wheels for easy storage and transport. It’s a smart and stylish alternative to a bassinet, suitable for a growing babe from newborn to beyond 18 months.
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: The Origami has undergone rigorous scientific testing for over 10,000 chemical emissions and VOCs. It contributes to cleaner indoor air, creating a healthier environment for your baby to sleep, play, and grow
- ADJUSTABLE MATTRESS HEIGHT: The low-profile design and 2 adjustable mattress positions make it easy to put a newborn to rest. The Origami is a standard mini size crib which includes a 1″ mattress pad. We recommend additional support with our Pure by babyletto mini crib mattress (37″ x 23.5″).
- SUSTAINABLE DESIGN: Made with sustainably sourced solid New Zealand pine wood, one of the most renewable woods available. The mattress support is TSCA compliant engineered wood.
The Babyletto Origami Mini Portable Crib is described as “designed for urban living.” This foldable, portable crib is an excellent solution for small spaces.
The Babyletto is like a bassinet on wheels, great for the early months. However, you can use it for much longer than a newborn bassinet because you can lower the adjustable mattress.
This is a sturdy option as a travel bed or an extra bed for visiting friends or family. It’s easily folded for transport and storage.
However, if you have an active, mobile baby, they may outgrow this mini crib sooner than the advertised 18 months. Since it only has two adjustable heights, its small size means that your toddler may be trying to climb out much sooner than you think.
Parents rave about the look and the convenience of the Babyletto Origami Mini Crib. However, they’re less than impressed with the included mattress, which is thin for the price you pay. You can buy a deluxe mattress separately, but this adds to the price tag.
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: This mattress has undergone rigorous scientific testing for over 10,000 chemical emissions and VOCs; It contributes to cleaner indoor air, creating a healthier environment for your baby to sleep, play, and grow
- 2-IN-1 WATERPROOF REMOVABLE & WASHABLE COVER: Multifunctional cover with a soft quilted cotton face and PVC-free waterproof backing to protect the mattress against accidents; The zipper closure and square corner design ensure a seamless sheet fit.
- LIGHTWEIGHT & FIRM SUPPORT: Firm and supportive for infants; Lightweight at only 4lbs.
- MINI-CRIB SIZE: Designed to fit mini cribs (37.5″ x 23.5″ x 3″)
Nonetheless, this cleverly designed, modern mini crib has a lot going for it if you’re looking for portability and convenience.
Best Folding Mini Crib: Delta Children Folding Portable Mini Crib
- GREAT CRIB FOR SMALL SPACES OR TRAVEL: Crib includes casters for easy mobility; Folds flat for easy travel and storage; The included mattress (size: 37.5 Inches L x 23.25 Inches D x 1.5 Inches ) stores right in the crib when folded
- GROWS WITH BABY: The 2 position mattress height adjustment on this crib allows you to lower the mattress as your baby begins to sit or stand
- BUILT TO LAST: Strong and sturdy wood construction helps create a dream nursery where you’ll spend plenty of Mommy and Me/Daddy and Me time; Easy assembly
- WE PUT YOUR BABY’S SAFETY FIRST: This crib is JPMA certified to meet or exceed all safety standards set by the CPSC & ASTM; Tested for lead and other toxic elements to meet or exceed government and ASTM safety standards
This mini crib from Delta Children is a less expensive foldable portable mini baby crib. Coming in at almost half the price of the Babyletto, the Delta Children Folding Portable Mini Crib does many of the same things.
This mini crib has wheels so you can move it from room to room like a bassinet. It’s foldable for easy storage or transport on vacation. Parents say it’s easy to put together, with just a few screws and nuts.
However, this is not the convertible mini crib version, so it only has two mattress heights. Depending on the child, it may not last until you transition to a toddler bed the way a standard crib or convertible mini crib would.
In addition, the included mattress may not be comfortable as your child grows. You may need to invest in a thicker one sold separately, adding to the overall cost.
Despite the minor drawbacks, as a small baby crib that you can move between rooms and take when you’re traveling with a baby, the Delta Children Folding Portable Mini Crib is a great affordable option.
Best Multi-Purpose Mini Crib: Dream On Casco 3-in-1 Mini Crib and Changing Table
- CONVERTIBILITY OPTIONS: The Casco keeps pace with your growing child! Starting as a mini crib, it converts into a mini daybed and twin-size bed (bed rails sold separately) Its compact size makes it ideal for small nurseries or when you are co sharing
- GRACEFUL DESIGN: Built of New Zealand pinewood, the Casco boasts minimalist design features- gentle, smooth arches & sturdy spade feet. It is available in elegant, non-toxic water based paint finishes allowing you to mix and match with any nursery theme!
- FEATURE-HEAVY CHANGING TABLE: The Casco comes with a 3-drawer changing table, equipped with a changing pad and a security strap to keep your baby safely secured. Keep baby essentials handy and neatly organized in the 3 roomy drawers. Note: The changing table can be used as a standalone piece only in twin bed conversion mode.
- MANY BENEFITS: The crib has a 3-position adjustable mattress height setting & Comes with a 1″ OEM Mattress pad. For additional aftermarket mattress purchase, we recommend any Dream On Me, non-toxic, Greenguard certified mini crib mattress.
The Dream On Me Casco 3-in-1 Mini Crib is an ambitious piece of nursery furniture. Dream On Me has truly thought about how to help parents maximize small spaces. This is a convertible mini crib with a changing table, providing much-needed storage without needing a separate piece of furniture.
This mini crib may solve your space issues, but it’s not portable or collapsible. With the attached changing table and drawers, it may be cumbersome to assemble and handle. While parents like the idea behind this product, with daily use, the materials do not hold up as well as they could. However, If you consider the price, this mini crib does give you a lot.
Although it claims to convert to a twin-sized bed, parents also find that even with the conversion, the bed is small and quickly outgrown. While the Dream On Me Casco Mini Crib does tackle many issues in small spaces, there are some things that could be improved on this affordable mini crib.
Best Affordable Mini Crib: Graco Stella 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib
- 4-IN-1 CONVERTIBLE MINI CRIB WITH MATTRESS INCLUDED: Converts from mini crib (2.75-inch mattress included) to daybed and twin-size bed with headboard & optional footboard (conversion kit sold separately); Includes mini crib mattress; Assembly required
- INCLUDES BONUS MINI CRIB MATTRESS: Includes bonus 2.75-inch mini crib mattress; Outer cover of mini crib mattress is water-resistant; Both mini crib and bonus mini crib mattress are JPMA Certified; Mini crib mattress made of polyurethane foam
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED, JPMA CERTIFIED: GREENGUARD Gold Certified products are screened for more than 10,000 chemicals and VOCs known to pollute indoor air; Expert tested to meet or exceed all applicable category voluntary and mandatory safety standards
- QUALITY CRAFTSMANSHIP: Crafted with sustainable New Zealand pine wood, engineered wood, and wood composites; Packaging tested to reduce the risk of incidental damage that could occur during shipment; Backed by 1-year limited manufacturer’s warranty
The Graco Stella 4-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib is an affordable mini crib that saves you even more money in the long run because it converts to a twin-sized bed. You can buy the conversion kit separately.
Graco’s version of a convertible mini crib is made of safe, non-toxic, sustainable materials. This mini crib is great for small spaces. When you’re finished using it as a crib, you can choose to use it as a toddler day bed or twin-sized bed.
However, it’s important to note that the mattress height is not adjustable. While the mattress is at a low level suitable for toddlers and older babies who can stand, parents of newborns may find it challenging. Because it doesn’t have a higher newborn setting, moms recovering from birth and c-section may find it difficult to bend low to pick up their babies.
Reasons to Consider a Mini Crib
When it comes to mini cribs vs standard cribs, the biggest difference between them is in the name: mini cribs are smaller compared to their standard counterparts.
How much smaller are they? All standard cribs measure about 28 inches wide and 52 inches long. A mini crib can be significantly smaller than that, from about 20-25 inches wide and about 34-40 inches long.
While saving space is the most obvious reason for choosing a mini crib, there are other things that make mini cribs an excellent sleep solution for your baby. However, mini cribs often become a short-term solution most suitable for the newborn months, so it’s important to consider some of their drawbacks too.
Choosing the Best Mini Crib for Your Baby
A mini crib is definitely the way to go if you want to save space in your home. Of course, as with all baby gear, you’ll find myriad choices, and it can be difficult to know how to choose. Here are some features to consider before you buy.
Is it portable?
One of the best features of mini cribs is that they’re smaller and easier to move. Look for a portable mini crib with wheels. Being able to move your newborn from room to room as you go about your day is a helpful feature, especially for moms recovering from c-sections or who have trouble lifting.
For travel, a mini crib that folds flat or collapses is great for easy storage and use as a travel bed on vacation or at the grandparents’ house.
Is it convertible?
Baby products that grow with your baby save you money in the long run. While that mini crib may be adorable, if it doesn’t convert to a toddler bed, you’ll be buying another piece of nursery furniture within two or three years.
Although a convertible mini crib may be slightly more expensive initially, especially if you buy the conversion kit separately, it will save you money when it’s time to transition to a big kid bed.
It will also save you space because you won’t be looking for a place to store the mini crib since it will now be a toddler bed.
Is it safe?
Cribs have to meet strict safety standards. So make sure the crib you choose is approved by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). In addition, if you want to be sure that the materials used are safe and non-toxic, look for a mini crib that is Greenguard Gold Certified.
If you plan to use your mini crib into toddlerhood, make sure that it has adjustable mattress positions that allow you to lower the mattress height as your baby grows.
As your baby becomes mobile, you need to lower the crib mattress to a safe height so they don’t injure themselves trying to climb out. For this reason, make sure you’re buying a crib and not just a newborn co-sleeper or bassinet.
Another safety concern is the fit of the mini crib mattress and bedding. Mini cribs vary in size, so make sure you buy the appropriate mattress and fitted sheets to ensure your baby is sleeping safely.
Giveaways, Product Reviews, Special Needs
The fully customizable SAMi-3 seizure monitor can alert you when your child has a seizure while also minimizing the number of false alarms you receive.
Breastfeeding, Product Reviews
Therapy pads can help breastfeeding mothers with pain, clogged ducts, and even milk supply. Find the best heating pad for breastfeeding moms right here.