The 11 Best Newborn Onesies [2023 Update]
- Newborn onesies are one of the most popular items of clothing for babies.
- They’re also the perfect outfit for play.
- Onesies won’t irritate the umbilical cord stump.
Newborn onesies are a staple item on baby registries around the world. This classic one-piece outfit is timeless and works for every occasion. Whether dressed up or dressed down, onesies are an essential part of a baby’s wardrobe.
Over the years I’ve used what seems like hundreds of onesies. With five children, I’m always looking for ways to make dressing the baby simple. Onesies are the perfect solution.
Each time we’ve brought home a new baby, I’ve made sure we’ve had a stockpile of onesies. Between diaper blowouts and spit-up stains, we go through plenty.
Through the years, I’ve found that not all newborn onesies are created equal.
I’ve purchased onesies that faded quickly or stretched out at the collar. I’ve also had onesies that ran extremely small or big. We’ve learned which brands we can trust for a quality, durable onesie that will last.
If you’re shopping for cute, high-quality onesies, look no further. I’ve made a list of the best onesies that are sure to please. Your little one will look adorable with any of these picks!
Our Choice: Simple Joys by Carter’s Baby Girls’ Short-Sleeve Bodysuit, Pack of 6
Of all the baby outfits I’ve purchased through the years, some of my favorites have been by Carter’s. When you purchase a Carter’s outfit, you know exactly what quality you’re getting. The Simple Joys by Carter’s Short-Sleeve Bodysuit is no exception.
This 6-pack of onesies comes in adorable prints and fun colors for both boys and girls. I picked a set with solid colors including pink, blue, and gray for my newborn girl. The solid colors make it easy to throw with any bottoms if I choose.
I have noticed that not all onesies come in sizes for preemie babies. This set starts at a preemie size and goes all the way up to 24 months. They also fit true to size.
Even after several washes, Carter’s clothes don’t wear out easily. These onesies are soft, and the same high quality that I would expect from Carter’s.
The lap shoulders make it easy to take the onesie off from the top down for diaper changes. All of the edges are reinforced and include an adorable scallop detail. The snaps feel very secure and are made without nickel in case of allergies.
I’ve purchased these onesies many times over the past decade, and can honestly say they are the best baby onesies on the market. The only drawback is that some of the onesies in the set have snaps on the back. If you’d like to avoid those, you’ll want to look carefully and choose a set that doesn’t have them.
Most Trusted: Gerber baby-girls 4-pack Short Sleeve Onesies Bodysuits
- Includes four short sleeve Onesies Brand bodysuits
- Onesies Brand bodysuit features an expandable lap shoulder neckline & high-positioned bottom snaps for convenient changes.
- Mix & match with your little one’s favorite pants, baby caps, baby socks, baby bibs, & baby burps for adorable, coordinated outfits
- Makes a thoughtful & practical baby shower gift. Features super soft, easy-care fabric babies & parents will love
Every parent knows the brand name Gerber. Gerber remains one of the most trusted brands in baby products. The Gerber baby-girls 4-pack Short Sleeve Onesies are just as reliable as the brand itself.
I’ve bought plenty of Gerber baby clothing throughout my motherhood journey. While they aren’t always the most luxurious clothes on the market, they’re always durable and affordable. I grabbed this 4 pack of cute onesies so I would have weekday outfits that can get dirty.
I love that there were so many patterns and colors to choose from. These come in both girl and boy sets. They’re also affordable and of great quality for the price point.
One thing I’ve always noticed about Gerber onesies is that they tend to run small. If you’ve never purchased Gerber baby clothes, you might want to size up to be safe.
These have expandable lap shoulders and bottom snaps for easy diaper changes. They usually fit snugly and aren’t as easy to undress from the top down as others. However, it’s not so difficult that it would deter me from buying these again.
Best Sleeveless: Hudson Baby Unisex Baby Cotton Sleeveless Bodysuits
- Set includes coordinating sleeveless bodysuits
- Made with 100% cotton
- Soft, gentle and comfortable on baby’s skin
- Optimal for everyday use
When warm weather hits, I’m always on the hunt for cute summer baby clothes. The Hudson Baby Unisex Baby Cotton Sleeveless Bodysuits are some of the cutest sleeveless onesies I’ve found.
These come in both boy and girl designs in a set of 5. From mermaids to baseballs, there’s something for everyone. The style of the straps varies depending on which you choose.
I love that the sets for girls include ruffles on the straps. These onesies are great beach essentials for baby to pack on your next trip to the shore. They’re made with 100% cotton, so they won’t irritate baby’s skin in the heat of the summer.
These do have snaps at the bottom but don’t include an expandable neckline. However, since they don’t have sleeves, they should still be easy enough to undress from the top down. The thicker straps on the boys’ onesies might be trickier.
Some parents noted that these shrunk considerably in the dryer. They will likely still stretch to fit, but sizing up might be a good idea.
Most Soft: Burt’s Bees Baby baby-boys Bodysuits, 5-pack
- Burt’s Bee Baby – 5-Pack Short Sleeve Bodysuits
- Lap Shoulder Construction: Makes dressing baby a breeze with maximum stretch when pulling over your little bee’s head
- Super Soft: Combed and ring-spun for durability, softness and no-pill washing
- The Purest Layer: 100% organic, GOTS certified*, breathable cotton – great for sensitive skin
If you’re looking for baby clothing that won’t irritate the most sensitive skin, this is for you. The cotton is ultra-soft and won’t pill after washing. It’s also GOTS-certified and 100% organic.
If you’re worried about your baby overheating at night or out in the summer heat, you’ll be happy to know the organic cotton is breathable and cool. They offer both long-sleeved onesies and short-sleeved onesies in a 5-pack. You’ll also be able to purchase sizes from preemie to 12 months.
These don’t come in as many prints and colors as I’d like. However, the price is fantastic and they would make great weekday clothes. They also hold up in the washer and dryer.
All of these soft onesies have lap shoulders and bottom snaps. Undressing the baby is relatively easy with the size of the neck opening.
Overall, for super-soft, organic baby clothes, you can’t beat the price and quality of these onesies.
Best Stretch: Hanes Ultimate Flexy Sleeveless Bodysuits for Boys & Girls, 5-pack
- SHOP LESS, SPEND LESS – Get more growing time from each size. Size 0-6 fits 0 – 3 months AND 3 – 6 months; 6-12 fits 6 months, 9 months AND 12 months; 12-18 fits 12 months AND 18 months, 18-24 fits 18 months AND 24 months.
- STRETCHES TO FIT AS BABY GROWS – Lightweight, breathable 4-way stretch fabric encourages free-flowing movement and comfort as baby grows.
- EASY ON AND OFF – Expandable neckline makes it easy to pull these cute baby clothes over your little one’s head.
- BUM POUCH – A generous bottom comfortably covers a diaper or training pants.
If you want a newborn onesie that will make diaper changing a breeze, this is for you. The Hanes Ultimate Flexy Sleeveless Bodysuits for Boys & Girls, 5-pack is a set that provides serious stretch.
I’ve mentioned the lap shoulders quite a bit already, but there’s a good reason for it. Expandable shoulders allow you to slip the onesie off the baby’s shoulders and pull it down over the baby’s diaper. This keeps you from having to pull a dirty onesie over the baby’s head after a diaper blowout.
Hanes has created some of the best baby clothes for messy diaper changes. The expandable shoulders and ultra-stretchy fabric will allow you to easily undress your baby. This is the perfect option for the early newborn days.
Hanes offers both boy and girl varieties that come in packs of coordinating colors.
You won’t find many designs other than basics like shapes or stripes. Most of the baby onesies are solid colors. However, I appreciate the solid colors in the pack because they are easier to match with bottoms.
The sizing is different than most, due to the stretchiness of the material. Your baby will be able to wear the onesies for longer than normal. The sizes range from months 0-6, 6-12, 12-18, and 18-24.
Best Organic: HonestBaby Girls Organic Cotton Short Sleeve Bodysuits Multipack
- MULTI PACK: Set of five short-sleeve bodysuits
- 100% ORGANIC COTTON: Certified by GOTS: GOTS is the leading world-wide standard for products made in sustainable manufacturing facilities without the use of synthetic pesticides, are non-toxic, PVC free and made without heavy metal phthalate dyes
- SPECIAL FEATURES: Envelope neck construction makes dressing and undressing baby easy. The lap shoulder construction stretches easily and comfortably over baby’s head. Nickle-free snaps and tagless label.
- STYLE DETAIL: Premium, raw edge jersey binding keep the bulk out of the fabric for less rub on baby’s gentle skin.
Many of us know the Honest Baby brand for its natural diapers for sensitive skin. You might be pleasantly surprised to know they make baby clothes too. The HonestBaby Girls Organic Cotton Short Sleeve Bodysuits Multipack is perfect for those looking for chemical-free baby clothes.
Honest Baby is serious about offering products that are safe for your family. The soft organic cotton they use is GOTS-certified and made without heavy metal phthalate dyes. They even ensure that the bottom snaps are nickel free.
The patterns and colors are trendy and cute. Some packs include all solid colors, while others have a few patterned onesies mixed in. They range in size from preemie to 24 months.
These are a bit expensive compared to other options. However, they do hold up well in the wash and may be worth the extra expense for soft organic cotton. Other organic onesies I’ve shopped for don’t have as many color options.
Most Trendy: Grow by Gerber baby-girls 5-pack Short-sleeve Onesies Bodysuits
- 97% Cotton, 3% Spandex
- Pull On closure
- Machine Wash
If you want your baby’s clothes to reflect your trendy style, the Grow by Gerber baby-girls 5-pack Short-sleeve Onesies Bodysuits might be for you.
Forget bright colors and kid patterns, these onesies use muted colors and patterns that adults will appreciate. From bicycles to flower pots, you’ll be pleased with the designs. Each pack contains a mix of coordinating patterns.
Each short sleeve onesie in the set is made with 97% cotton and 3% spandex. This will give parents the stretch they need to undress the baby. They also include lap shoulders and bottom snaps.
Unfortunately, these don’t come in preemie size. You’ll only be able to choose from newborn to 12 months. It would be nice if the sizes expanded from preemie to 24 months.
As I mentioned earlier, Gerber baby clothes tend to run small. Their newborn onesies, for example, only fit from 5-8 lbs. So you might want to size up.
Most Fun: BFUSTYLE Baby Boys Girls Romper
- Cotton Blend,comfort and softness for baby
- The expandable lap shoulder neckline that makes it is easy to dress for baby
- Short sleeve and long sleeve Bodysuit are especially made for babies, it’s ease of change baby’s diaper
- Best gift for your cute baby, grandson, granddaughter, nephew,niece .Suit for baby boys or baby girls casual outfits, daily wear, playwear, Sleepwear.etc
If you’re looking for onesies that grab attention on the street, take a peek at the BFUSTYLE Baby Boys Girls Romper.
I love the hilarious sayings many of the onesies have like, “Don’t look at me, that smell is coming from my dad”. There’s also a wide selection of sentimental sayings for firstborns or babies’ first milestones. The sayings bring more fun to your baby’s outfits.
Each onesie is made with cotton and includes lap shoulders and bottom snaps. When purchasing, you can choose your favorite saying, but can’t specify the color of the fabric.
Unfortunately, there is only one long-sleeved onesie to choose from. So these are a better option for short sleeve onesies. For a warm-weather option, they are breathable and soft.
The sizing starts at 0-3 months and goes up to 12-18 months. So these make a perfect gift for both babies and toddlers.
Fabric Type: Cotton | Age Range: 0-18 months | Type of Closure: Snap closure
View on Amazon
Best Characters: Amazon Essentials Disney, Marvel, Star Wars Unisex Babies’ Short-Sleeve Bodysuits, Pack of 6
- COTTON KNIT: Cut from a baby-soft cotton micro-rib that is naturally breathable and stretchy.
- SHORT-SLEEVE BODYSUIT: Easy pullover bodysuit matches back to prints offered in Amazon Essentials Baby pants, bloomers, swaddles, and more.
- DETAILS: Features lapped shoulder at neckline and snaps at inseam for easier dressing and diapering. Tag-free neckline.
For those who love Disney or Star Wars, you’ll love my next pick. The Amazon Essentials Disney, Marvel, Star Wars Unisex Babies’ Short-Sleeve Bodysuits, Pack of 6 is an adorable collection of character-themed onesies.
Whether you have a boy or girl, these neutral-colored onesies will work. Each pack includes six onesies themed around a particular movie. Winnie the Pooh, Mickey Mouse, Yoda, and Simba are among the selection.
Not only are these cute, but they’re practical too. Each onesie has lap shoulders and snaps at the bottom. The fabric is 100% cotton and has just the right amount of stretch for easy changes.
The sizes start at preemie and go all the way up to 24 months. Parents say they run true to size and are made with a high-quality fabric that stretches.
It would be nice to see a wider variety of characters to choose from. I know Disney fans would appreciate more movie choices, and Marvel characters would be a big hit as well.
Best for Boys: Under Armour Boys’ Logo Polo Bodysuit
- Material wicks sweat & dries really fast
- Soft, lightly-textured fabric with durable ribbed collar
- Loose: Fuller cut for complete comfort.
- 3-button placket & 3-snap bottom allow easy changing
If you have a little man in your life, you might be searching for cute boy clothes. The Under Armour Boys’ Logo Polo Bodysuit is a onesie that’s just adorable.
Moms often say that it’s easier to find cute girl clothes than it is boy clothes. This onesie breaks the mold. Your baby boy will look so handsome in this collared onesie.
Each onesie is made with 100% cotton that’s made to repel sweat. That’s perfect for a day outdoors with dad. You’ll also be able to choose between long sleeves and short sleeves.
Under Armour is known for high-performance materials. This onesie won’t wear down quickly and the collar will hold up through washes. It will also dry quickly if it gets wet.
One drawback is that there are no lap shoulders or expandable necklines. This could make diaper changes difficult. For special occasions and family pictures, it would be worth the hassle.
Best for Girls: Hascloth Newborn Baby Girl Romper
- ❤ Premium Material: The baby girls’ clothing are made of Beautiful print and Softest fabric, breathable, stretchy and skin-friendly, comfortable to wear, your baby girl will love this cute outfits.
- ❤ Super Cute Design: The newborn baby girl clothes design with eye-catching colors and floral print, ruffle sleeveless baby girl romper add the pom-pom tassel at the bottom as decoration, playful, cute and change the diaper, perfect for spring or summer.
- ❤ Size Range: It is a sweett baby clothes for girls 0-3 months baby girl clothes, baby girl clothes 3-6 months, funny baby girl clothes 6-12 months, 12-18 months newborn girl outfits
- ❤ Various Occasion: baby girl photoshoot outfits cool feeling for outdoor play, summer holiday, daily casual wear, birthday parties, beach trips, sleeping, weddings, baby photography, family day, or any occasion.
As a mom of 5 girls, I love baby clothing with all the frills. The Hascloth Newborn Baby Girl Romper is the perfect onesie for little girls.
There are eight short sleeve onesie styles to choose from. Each comes in a trendy floral pattern, with the exception of one watermelon print. These onesies are adorable and include tassels around the legs.
My favorite feature is the ruffle trim down the sides. It just adds character to the onesie while dressing it up. The onesie also includes a matching headband.
Hascloth uses a blend of polyester and spandex for the fabric. While cotton is usually the desired fabric for baby onesies, this blend is a better choice for a dressy onesie like this.
The sizes range from 0-3 months to 12-18 months. It would be nice to see preemie, newborn, and 18-24 months offered.
You’ll want to hand wash and line dry this item, as the tassels won’t hold up well in the washer and dryer. This would be more of a special occasion onesie than for everyday wear.
Fabric Type: 95% Polyester, 5% Spandex | Age Range: 0-18 months | Type of Closure: Pull On closure
View on Amazon
The great thing about a short or long sleeve onesie is that you can layer it in colder weather or add accessories to dress it up. Here’s what I recommend for dressing your baby along with a onesie:
Reasons Why Babies and Moms Love Onesies
It’s no secret that moms love onesies for babies. They’re one of the most popular items of clothing for little ones. Why are they so popular?
Here are a few reasons why:
- One piece outfit
- Easy to change baby in
- Perfect for play
- Snug fit that’s comfortable for baby
- Cute patterns and colors
- Won’t irritate the umbilical cord stump
Is it okay for babies to sleep wearing a onesie?
Most people think of footed pajamas with long sleeves when it comes to dressing a baby for sleep. However, onesies are a perfect option for sleep. You’ll just want to be sure your baby is warm enough.
In cooler weather, try layering the onesie under a baby sleep sack to ensure they are warm enough. In the summer, a onesie under a light swaddle might be warm enough.
When should babies stop wearing onesies?
If you’re asking yourself, “When do babies stop wearing onesies”, the answer is really up to you. There are several reasons why parents choose to keep onesies in their child’s wardrobe for longer than others. This might be for easy access for diaper changes or for comfort.
When you decide to stop purchasing onesies is up to you. Generally speaking, most companies make onesies up to size 24 months. This is the average age children start potty training.
How many onesies does your baby need?
If you’re making your newborn checklist, you’ll want to include plenty of onesies. Babies often have diaper blowouts that require a change of clothes. Since laundry can be hard to keep up with after a new baby, I like to have around 14 to keep from running out.
Braille and Literacy, Product Reviews, Visual Impairment
Dana Meachen Rau's book, Sense of Play, follows the adventures of Chip and Joy as they play. Chip is blind, but this doesn't get in the way of their play!
Wondering whether white noise will help your little one sleep better? Here’s our guide to the best baby sound machines to help your baby fall asleep soundly.
Heard a lot about weighted blankets and lap pads and wondering how to choose one? Here’s our guide to the ins and outs of finding the right weighted blanket.