The 9 Best Umbrella Strollers for Travel of 2023
- Umbrella strollers are versatile and work well for travel and quick outings.
- Unlike some other strollers, a lightweight umbrella stroller is easy to maneuver through airports and on public transportation.
- You can start using an umbrella stroller with older babies who can sit up, at about 5 to 7 months or older.
- While most umbrella strollers are simple, some include additional features like a reclining seat, storage basket, and cup holder.
After all your research to find the perfect all-terrain stroller, travel system, or jogging stroller, your heart may sink a little at the thought of also buying an umbrella stroller. Do you really need one?
The short answer is yes, an umbrella stroller is one of the most versatile and useful baby gear items you can invest in or put on your registry. Umbrella strollers come in handy in many situations where your regular travel system or big stroller isn’t practical.
Umbrella strollers are great for travel, vacations, zoos, theme parks, malls, and just throwing in the car when you need to dash out for a quick trip. There are many umbrella strollers that you can fit in an overhead bin, fold with one hand, or carry easily through crowded places or when you just need more maneuverability.
We’ve looked into some of the best umbrella strollers for travel of 2023. Check out these options to make your next trip with your baby super easy and simple.
Our Choice: UPPABaby G Lite Stroller
- Suitable for children from 6 months to 55 lbs
- Mesh sling seat for breathability and comfort without adding weight
- Zipper recline
- Larger knit canopy with extendable SPF 50+ sunshade
The UPPABaby G Lite is a good, mid-priced option for a travel stroller or a second stroller. Parents love how compact it is when folded, making it easy to use and carry on public transportation or crowded airports.
It also has some clever, well-thought-out features. The seat reclines by zipping it down, which can be easily done with one hand. It also has a mesh seat back, which is great for air circulation and kids who sweat when they nap or run hot, especially in the summer months.
It has a large sun canopy with SPF, which is excellent for fun trips in the sun. In addition, its max weight capacity is 55 pounds, so it’s a great stroller for big kids, and you’ll get many years of use out of it as your go-to travel stroller.
Given all these great features and its ease of use, this is a reasonably priced, good-quality umbrella stroller for travel.
Summer Infant 3D Mini Convenience Stroller: Best Budget Lightweight Umbrella Stroller
- LIGHTWEIGHT – A lightweight stroller makes any outing a little easier; The Summer 3Dmini Convenience Stroller has a durable steel frame that weighs 11 pounds and has a full-sized seat, plus auto-lock, anti-shock front wheels and lockable rear wheels
- FOR TRAVEL AND EVERYDAY – Whether you’re traveling or just on the go running everyday errands, having a lightweight, compact stroller is a must! It’s mini, but mighty for long-term use and offers both an everyday and travel stroller option
- MULTI-POSITION RECLINE – Keep your little one comfortable with multi-position recline, padded seat back and padded 5 point safety harness; It’s perfect for nap time strolls and edge-of-the-seat travels; Maximum weight for this toddler stroller: 45 pounds
- COMPACT FOLD – The easy, compact fold makes it simple to store this lightweight umbrella stroller and bring it with you on the go; Plus, it has a hassle-free canopy with flip out sun visor that is perfect for sunny days
The Summer Infant 3D Mini Convenience Stroller is a good, basic lightweight stroller for travel and quick trips and errands.
While it may not feel as sturdy as other brands going over rough terrain, as far as lightweight umbrella strollers go, it does exactly the job you need it to do.
It’s easy to fold, easy to store, and light to carry. So if you’re looking for an affordable umbrella stroller for your next vacation or theme park trip, to make life easier in the airport, or to make more room in the trunk, this is it.
Kolcraft Cloud Plus: Best Travel Stroller for Storage
- ULTRA-LIGHTWEIGHT: Travel friendly lightweight stroller (only 12.87 lbs), perfect for traveling and day trips. Disney Size Approved! The assembled dimensions are 17.6 x 29.9 x 41.7 inches
- EXTENDED CANOPY AND SUN PROTECTION: Three-tier, extended canopy for maximum sun coverage. A peek-a-boo window so you can easily check on your baby while traveling and on the go
- EASY ONE-HAND FOLD: Convenient one-hand, self-standing fold, perfect for car travel and vacations. Folded Dimensions: 18″ W x 12″ d x 34″ h. All-terrain wheels and front suspension for a smooth ride
- RECLINING SEAT: Reclining seat offers 5-point safety restraint system and accommodates child up to 50 pounds. (Stroller seat does not recline completely flat). Floor to Seat Distance: 14.5″
Parents love how lightweight and compact the Kolcraft Cloud Plus is. This is an affordable umbrella stroller that comes with a lot of features at a very reasonable price.
The Cloud Plus has double adult cup holders and a tray table for your child, which many travel strollers don’t have. It also has an extra-large, easy-access storage basket under the seat.
This makes it the perfect stroller for running errands and for travel. In addition, it’s among the most lightweight umbrella strollers, weighing only eleven pounds. For the price, the Cloud Plus has a lot of pluses!
Baby Jogger City Tour 2: Best Travel System to Travel Stroller
- Ultra-lightweight travel stroller weighs only 14 lb, with a compact and easy-to-maneuver design
- Create a travel system by adding a Baby Jogger infant car seat using adapters (car seat and adapters sold separately). Note: Stroller is not intended for jogging
- Ultra-compact, one-step fold and auto-lock ensures easy transportation and storage
- Multi-position padded seat reclines to a near-flat position, and adjustable calf support provides comfort for growing children
The Baby Jogger City Tour 2 does everything you need a travel stroller to do, with the added benefit of adapting to become a travel system. Moreover, it does all this at almost half the price of comparable products.
The City Tour 2 is a lightweight umbrella stroller, coming in at only 14 pounds. It has a reclining seat, a large sun canopy, and a storage basket. However, what sets it apart is that you can attach an infant car seat with adapters, turning it into a travel system. Most travel strollers don’t have that capability.
The City Tour 2 is compact when folded and fits into an included travel bag, making it easy to take onboard or check with your luggage. However, one complaint is that the folding mechanism and buckle are not as easy to use as they could be.
While tricky folding isn’t ideal in stressful travel scenarios, the price and versatility of this product still make it a good option among travel umbrella strollers.
UPPABaby Minu V2: Best Travel Stroller for Comfort
- Spacious seat suitable for children from 3 months up to 50lbs, One-hand, one-step compact fold
- Suitable from birth with bassinet accessory or infant car seat with use of adapters (not included)
- Deeper, easy access basket with 20lbs weight limit
- Zip out extendable canopy for increased sun protection and One handed, adjustable leg rest
Similar to the Baby Jogger City Tour 2, the UPPABaby Minu V2 can also be adapted to suit infant car seats and transform into a full travel system beyond its use as an umbrella travel stroller.
Parents like the easy-to-use folding and unfolding mechanisms and find them really convenient. The Minu V2 also folds down for easy storage. However, it’s not as lightweight as some strollers on this list.
For the price, the Minu V2 may be worth the investment if you also intend to use it as a travel system. However, as a travel umbrella stroller or second stroller to keep in the car or take on errands, there are other less expensive options.
Babyzen YoYo2: Best for Daily Use and Travel
- EASY TO USE – BABYZEN YOYO2 is one of the most lightweight, compact, full-feature strollers available. Designed for every situation, every day, you can steer with one hand, carry it on your shoulder & store essentials in the zippered back pocket.
- TAKE IT EVERYWHERE – It’s never been easier to meet up with friends, catch a cab, or hop onto the subway. The YOYO2 not only folds & unfolds with one hand, it’s so compact that you can store it in the overhead bin of a plane.
- GROWS WITH YOUR CHILD – Now you only need one stroller! Our all-in-one frame accommodates your growing child, from newborn to toddler (up to 48.5 lbs), with a comfortable seat cushion, a reclining backrest & a secure 5-point harness.
- CUSTOMIZABLE – Choose from nine trendy colors and lots of accessories to suit your needs, like the YOYO board, YOYO bag, YOYO cup holder, YOYO footmuff, YOYO legrest, YOYO parasol, YOYO travel bag, and YOYO mosquito net.
If you don’t have the space or budget for multiple strollers, the Babyzen YoYo2 is the stroller that can do it all.
It has the features you’d expect from a larger everyday stroller, like a reclining seat, sun canopy, storage basket, and a smooth ride with good suspension.
However, unlike most all-terrain or travel system strollers, the YoYo2 compact umbrella stroller folds down with one hand. Just throw the carry strap over your shoulder and go!
It is one of the lightest umbrella strollers, at only 13.6 pounds, and one of the most compact travel strollers you can find. It fits in most overhead bins and is a great buy if you have minimal storage space.
The Babyzen YoYo2 is perfect for city living and family travel and may end up as your one and only stroller.
Jeep Scout Double Stroller: Best Double Lightweight Umbrella Stroller
- Extendable canopies with sun visors; 5 point safety harness with soft shoulder pads and reflective material that ensures you and your children can be seen at night; Meets Disney size requirements
- Multi position reclining seat Parent cup holder
- Abundant storage includes double rear canopy bags 5.5 Inches wheels with front swivel and suspension system
- Lightweight design that fits through standard 30 Inches wide doors Assembled Dimensions: 23.4 Inches D x 29.9 Inches W x 37 Inches H Folded dimensions: 13 Inches X 11.2 Inches x 42.1 Inches; Product weight: 18.30 pounds; JPMA certified; meets or exceeds and ASTM and applicable CPSC standards
The best umbrella stroller for travel when you’ve got two munchkins to think about has got to be the Jeep Scout Double Stroller.
You might think that a double stroller for travel that weighs in at only 18 pounds, fits through most doorways, and is easy to fold would cost a lot. However, besides being versatile, portable, and easy to use, this double stroller costs just over a hundred dollars.
It lacks some small features you might find in higher-priced double strollers, like a tray table for the kids. In addition, parents aren’t impressed with how little the seats recline.
However, considering the convenience of traveling with something this light and easy to fold in high-stress situations like airports, you can forgive its few disadvantages. An excellent travel stroller for two!
Bugaboo Butterfly: Best for the Frequent Traveler
- ONE SECOND FOLD & UNFOLD – The smart and easy 1 second folding system which offers a true fold & go experience with just one free hand.
- EASY TO CARRY – Only weighing 16.1 lbs and offers multiple carrying modes to effortlessly take it with you by the integrated carry strap or leg rest.
- SMALL TO STORE – Ultra compact fold for easy storing at home or on the go. It’s also travel certified (IATA compatible) and can fit into overhead compartments in most airlines and train travel.
- GROWING TODDLER – Designed specifically with growing babies in mind (Up to 50 lbs). The Bugaboo Butterfly features an extra spacious seat with high backrest and extra padded inlay.
Although the Bugaboo Butterfly is certainly one of the most expensive travel umbrella strollers on this list, for the family who travels often, it fits a lot of features in a compact package.
You can actually fold and go with the Butterfly with its one-hand, one-second fold. Although it weighs just over 20 pounds, the compact fold makes up for the extra weight compared to other umbrella strollers.
When folded, the Butterfly fits in the overhead bins on most airplanes and trains, so it takes a lot of hassle out of travel with the family.
Designed with growing babies in mind, the Butterfly’s maximum weight for children is 50 pounds, with an extra high back and spacious, padded seat. So you’ll get several years of use out of it.
Jeep PowerGlyde Plus by Delta Children: Best Travel Stroller for Taller Parents
- SMOOTHEST RIDE: Swivel front wheels feature precision technology for outstanding control and effortless push, it’s easier than ever to glide, turn and maneuver any surface | Locking back brakes | Puncture-proof 6-inch tires are durable and shock absorbing
- LIGHTWEIGHT: The ultimate in convenience, this lightweight stroller has a durable aluminum frame that only weighs 13.7 lbs. | Comfortable 43″ stroller height is ideal for all parents
- COMPACT FOLD: The easy compact umbrella fold with carry handle and auto latch lock Is ideal for travel or everyday use | Folded dimensions: 10″L x 8″W x 46″H | Meets theme park size requirements
- DESIGNED FOR COMFORT: Keep your child comfortable with optimal support in all 4 recline positions | Oversized canopy with extendable sun visor has UPF 50+ protection | Stroller has plenty of storage with its extra-large storage basket and cup holder
The Jeep PowerGlyde Plus by Delta Children is an excellent option for a travel stroller and a great buy at under a hundred dollars.
While it’s not as lightweight as others on this list, most parents are happy with its foldability and ease of use. In addition, it gives a really smooth ride for an umbrella stroller, with front swivel wheels that can deal with rough terrain better than most others in this category.
An added perk is that most parents find the height of the handlebars to be very comfortable, not too low or too high.
When you add in the extended sun canopy with SPF, four reclining seat positions, and an extra large storage basket, it really is the total package of travel strollers.
Umbrella Stroller for Travel: Why It’s Worth It
Like many parents, you’ve probably done a ton of research and finally invested in that travel system or jogging stroller.
You bought the car seat adapter, the extra toddler seat, and the cup holder. You made sure it had good all-wheel suspension and enough storage for your trips to the playground and the supermarket.
So, do you really need an umbrella stroller on top of all of that? The answer is yes—and here’s why: Umbrella strollers are specifically designed for convenience and versatility. They can go places your bigger stroller can’t go as easily.
What is an umbrella stroller used for?
A good umbrella stroller is:
- Easy to take on a plane or to throw in the trunk.
- Intuitive to use.
Umbrella strollers are generally easier to use, fold, and are lighter to transport than your average travel system. You can often push them right up to the door of an airplane, and if small enough, they’re allowed as carry-on luggage.
Umbrella strollers are essential for travel in airports and for family adventures like trips to theme parks, zoos, museums, or any vacation where you’ll be doing a lot of walking in crowds and hard to handle, tight spaces.
Because you can fold an umbrella stroller easily in seconds and carry them with one hand, you can maneuver easily in public places like elevators, parking lots, or restaurants.
Umbrella strollers are also useful as a simpler, lighter alternative for grandparents and other caregivers to use. Since they’re more intuitive without all the bells and whistles of a jogging stroller or travel system, grandparents and babysitters will have an easier time with them.
In short, an umbrella stroller is a great piece of baby gear to have on hand when your larger travel system just isn’t practical. They’re great for quick trips, vacations, or when you’re on the go and don’t have extra hands.
When can you start using an umbrella stroller?
A drawback of umbrella strollers is that you can only start using them with older babies who can sit up, generally 5 to 7 months or older.
Every stroller will list age, height, and weight minimums and maximums for safe use, so be sure to check the manufacturer’s instructions.
However, umbrella strollers generally do not usually recline completely flat, so they should not be used for newborns or babies who can’t hold their heads up on their own or sit up.
How to Choose the Best Umbrella Stroller for Travelling
Here are some things to look for in a good umbrella stroller for traveling:
|Ease of folding|
|Maximum weight restriction|
Braille and Literacy, Product Reviews, Visual Impairment
Dana Meachen Rau's book, Sense of Play, follows the adventures of Chip and Joy as they play. Chip is blind, but this doesn't get in the way of their play!
Wondering whether white noise will help your little one sleep better? Here’s our guide to the best baby sound machines to help your baby fall asleep soundly.
Heard a lot about weighted blankets and lap pads and wondering how to choose one? Here’s our guide to the ins and outs of finding the right weighted blanket.