The 7 Best Convertible Strollers of 2023
- A convertible stroller grows with you child and your family.
- Some expand to fit two or even three children.
- The best convertible strollers will last your child from infancy through toddlerhood and will save you from buying multiple strollers.
A stroller is one of the most important purchases you’ll make as a new parent, but the styles, sizes and features of strollers can be totally overwhelming. It can also be challenging for first-time parents to envision how your stroller needs will change as your family grows.
Convertible strollers can make a smart, long-term option since they’re adjustable from infancy to toddlerhood. In addition, many convert from single to double strollers, which can accommodate a baby and an older child. Many can even accommodate a third child.
Here’s our guide to the best convertible strollers of 2023 to help you investigate your choices to find the stroller that makes the most sense for your family.
Our Choice: UPPABaby Vista V2 Stroller
- BASSINET – suitable from birth up to 20lbs or until infant can push up on hands and knees, whichever comes first. TODDLER SEAT – suitable from 3 months up to 50lbs
- Includes Bassinet and full size forward or parent-facing toddler seat with one-handed, multi-position recline. Performance travel system compatible with MESA Infant Car seat – direct attachment, no adapters necessary.
- Extended canopies on the toddler seat and RumbleSeat accessory include zip, Vented peekaboo windowout fabric that provide even more shade from the sun. Mesh panels also make it easy to peek in while adding airflow.
- A higher back and deeper foot rest on the toddler seat provide added comfort for growing children
There are many reasons why the UPPABaby Vista V2 is one of our top convertible strollers. It’s easy to use, easy to maneuver, and easy to put together, and it will stay with your growing family for years.
When your child outgrows the bassinet, you can move on to the comfortable, reversible parent-facing or rear-facing toddler seat, which reclines and has a five-point harness.
When you’ve added a new child to the family, use the Rumble Seat, a multitasking second toddler seat, to configure the stroller for two children.
Have a third kid or a toddler who likes to get out of the stroller seat? Just add the Piggyback ride-along board to push three kids along or as an option for a toddler.
Its configurations for your growing family are endless. Parents love its hassle-free, easy-to-manage adaptors and seats. If that wasn’t enough, it’s got ample storage space and an adjustable canopy for each seat.
While this stroller is one of the more expensive on this list, its durability, versatility, and longevity will make it a worthwhile purchase.
Baby Jogger City Select: Best Compact Fold Convertible Stroller
- The Stroller: Our most versatile yet, the City Select grows with your family and could be the only convertible stroller you’ll ever need.
- The Fold: Patented quick fold technology allows stroller to fold in one step
- Configurations: Our luxury strollers allow you to create a custom system. City Select can become a double stroller with 16 unique combinations using second seats, bassinets and car seat adaptors (double conversion kits sold separately)
- Seat: Multiple recline positions with a 45 lb. weight capacity per seat
The Baby Jogger City Select is a lightweight single to double stroller with excellent maneuverability.
You can configure this stroller in 16 different ways to suit your family’s needs. You can customize your City Select with a toddler seat and infant car seat, bassinet, or two toddler seats.
Many parents appreciate the Baby Jogger’s easy-to-use folding mechanism and compact fold, so it saves on storage space when not in use. Pulling the Baby Jogger in and out of your car is also less cumbersome than with other similar strollers.
While all accessories are sold separately, it does have a large storage basket, useful for trips to the supermarket and when you’re out and about.
Graco Premier Modes Nest2Grow 4-in-1 Stroller: Best Budget Convertible Stroller
- Graco Premier Midtown collection is tailored with premium materials and design
- Single stroller expands to a double as your family grows
- Enjoy face-to-face smiles by raising the Slide2Me seat or infant car seat to one of 3 height positions to find just the right ride
- Reversible stroller seat can face parent or the world, for just the right ride as baby grows
If the eye-watering cost of a convertible stroller with all its accessories and extra seats has put you off to the idea, check out the Graco Premier Modes Nest2Grow.
Its budget-friendly cost doesn’t mean you’re compromising on quality. With different options for multiple kids, this may be the only stroller you have to buy as your family grows.
Its Slide2Me toddler seat or infant car seat can be easily set at three different heights. It’s compatible with all Graco infant car seats and can even be configured to take on two car seats at a time, which is great for parents of twins.
Some parents find that as their kids get bigger, it’s less comfortable and has less room for growing toddlers, especially if their children are close in age. Pushing over some terrains can also be a little harder than with an all terrain stroller.
However, if you’re looking for a convertible stroller that won’t break the bank, Graco, as always, is a great option.
Evenflo Pivot Xpand Modular Stroller: Best Versatile Features
- Converts To Double – Stroller grows from single to double – unique slide and lock system expands frame to accommodate a second toddler seat or infant car seat (sold separately)
- 4 Modes Of Use – Toddler seat easily converts to infant mode, cradling baby at a more comfortable angle – and both modes can be used forward-facing or parent-facing for ﬂexibility
- Extra-Large Storage Basket – Expands to over 2 feet in length with front and back access for convenience
- Holds Up To 55 lbs
Not all convertible strollers have convertible seats. Often, infant seats or bassinets are sold separately from toddler seats, which can really start to add up.
However, the Evenflo Pivot Xpand Modular Stroller has a cleverly designed included toddler seat which can be used in either infant or toddler mode. Simply extend the footrest and flatten the seat to create a horizontal bassinet for your newborn.
As your child outgrows that feature, switch to toddler mode, which can be used in three different reclining positions.
In addition to that cost-effective feature, the Evenflo Pivot Xpand has an extra large storage basket that extends up to two feet, with access from the front and back of the stroller. No more hooking your heavy diaper bag over the handlebars.
While parents say it’s not as compact or easy to fold as some other convertible strollers, the pros of the Evenflo outweigh the cons, especially at its affordable price point.
Bugaboo Donkey 5 Mono: Best Side by Side Convertible Stroller
- New Features – The Donkey 5 features an improved fold and unfold with ergonomically designed buttons, a higher seat and bassinet position to allow you to have a closer reach to your little one, and integrated attachment points allow for easy use with accessories such as our Cup Holder and Comfort Wheeled Board
- Effortless Expansion – The Donkey 5 Mono accommodates a single child from birth and transforms side-by-side to meet your growing family’s needs into a Duo for two children (Duo Extension Set, sold separately) or Twin (Duo Extension Set and Twin Bassinet – sold separately)
- Breezy Bassinet – A sleek bassinet design with new ventilation system will keep your baby comfortable and regulate their temperature. The soft transparent mesh allows your baby to discover the world or their siblings in Duo and Twin mode
- Ample Storage – In Mono mode you have the extendable side luggage basket – perfect for babies essentials and more! The underseat basket also extends in Duo/Twin mode so you don’t have to comprise on storage
Bugaboo is a gold standard name in strollers, with a price tag to match. However, the Bugaboo Donkey 5 is unique among convertible strollers.
It converts from a single stroller in Mono mode to a true double stroller when you use it in Duo. The special feature of the Donkey 5 is that in Duo mode, whether with a bassinet and toddler seat or two toddler seats, your children sit side by side.
For parents of twins and parents who feel more comfortable being able to see both their children at once, this is a must-have feature.
It also has a really clever storage feature that others don’t. It has a large basket under the seat, but in Mono mode, it also has an extendable side luggage feature for your diaper bag and other essentials.
This is a comfortable stroller for parents and children. While it’s the most expensive on this list, its superior quality makes it a good long-term investment.
Joovy Caboose Sit and Stand Double Stroller: Best Convertible Double Stroller for Big Kids
- REAR BENCH AND STANDING PLATFORM so the tandem stroller gives your big kid the freedom they deserve. Kids can sit, stand, or stroll whenever the mood takes them
- UNIVERSAL CAR SEAT ADAPTER for when a new kid comes along, you don’t need to upgrade your stroller
- 3-WAY RECLINING SEATS for naps and babies. Your little ones can lay back in this infant and toddler stroller and enjoy naptime thanks to the Caboose’s three reclining positions
- 90LB WEIGHT CAPACITY giving you the flexibility to carry two big kids without strain. Incredibly, this sit and stand stroller is still small enough to fit in the trunk
The Joovy Caboose Sit and Stand offers multiple seating options for toddlers and is one of the best strollers for big kids. It’s a good choice for kids who may be close to outgrowing a stroller but still need to ride.
You can purchase a full rear seat to attach to the stroller to make it a standard double tandem. However, if you have an older toddler who is starting to feel confined in a stroller, the Joovy Caboose has a rear bench and standing platform. This allows them to sit or stand when you’re out and about. If they’re sitting, it has a harness to keep them secure.
With a 90-pound weight capacity, the Joovy Caboose can handle two toddlers easily. The sit-and-stand stroller design also makes this an attractive option if you have an older toddler, especially when comparing prices with other convertible strollers.
Cybex Gazelle S 2: Best for Storage
- ALL-IN-ONE baby and toddler stroller for growing families, for use from birth with a carrycot or infant car seat and can be expanded to accommodate two and three children
- MODULAR system provides endless possibilities with more than 20+ configurations – enjoy as a full-featured single with shopping basket, make it a double stroller ideal for twins and fit Gazelle S perfectly to your family
- ONE-PULL HARNESS makes it a breeze to load your child in to the seat safe and snug – extra handy if you’re doing it twice
- ERGONOMIC full-size reversible seat with near-flat recline position for little ones, advanced suspension for a smooth ride, and one-hand adjustable-height handlebar for parents
If you walk a lot to do your errands with baby in tow, the Cybex Gazelle S 2 offers the most convenient and versatile storage for grocery shopping and running around town.
It has a unique optional shopping basket that attaches to the adult handlebars. It offers convenient access to your diaper bag or other essentials without forcing you to bend down to reach under the seat.
When you’re ready to convert to double stroller mode, the Cybex offers 20 different seating configurations to accommodate your newborn and toddler. Reclining seats allow you to adjust positions for both children to make them comfortable.
The Cybex is expensive compared to other strollers, especially when you factor in the purchase of a second seat and other accessories. However, it’s a top-quality stroller your family will use for years.
Material: 65% Aluminum; 15% Polyester; 15% Plastic; 5% Rubber | Maximum Weight Recommendation: 50 pounds | Dimensions: 41.9 x 25.4 x 42.7 inches
View on Amazon | View on Walmart.com | View on Sears.com
A stroller board is one of the best stroller accessories you can buy. Stroller boards are the solution if you want your double stroller to give your third child a lift or for older siblings who have outgrown the stroller but could still use a seat when you’re out.
A stroller board is an attachment you place on the back of the stroller, allowing your child to sit or stand safely while your other kids are in the stroller seats.
Some single-to-double strollers have an optional board sold separately, fitting their specific stroller frame. However, if your stroller doesn’t have an optional board, the Lascal BuggyBoard Universal Stroller Board is a trusted product that will fit any stroller.
- Compatible with over 95% of stroller models and types, like lightweight strollers, three wheelers, umbrella strollers, travel systems – including many models from brands such as: UPPAbaby, Bugaboo, Graco, Baby Jogger, Britax, Chicco, and many more!
- Other brand specific stroller boards do NOT work on other branded strollers. Purchasing additional Lascal BuggyBoard Universal Connector Kit(s) allows you to use one BuggyBoard on multiple strollers.
- You can trust our experience! Lascal was the innovator of the first ride-on board in 1995 and has remained the global market leader by continuously innovating and making the state-of-the-art BuggyBoard better and easier to use.
- A glider board is the brilliant solution for transporting two children in your single stroller, with the older sibling simply riding along on the board when needed. Eliminates the need for a heavy and cumbersome double or tandem stroller!
Why Is a Convertible Stroller Worth It
If you’re a first-time parent, the price of a convertible stroller might be a shock compared to a standard stroller. However, the purpose of a convertible stroller is to buy only one stroller that will grow with your child and with the changing needs of your expanding family.
A convertible stroller adjusts from infancy to toddlerhood with different seating configurations that accommodate two or even three children as your family grows. That’s a lot of potential use from just one stroller purchase.
Consider these pros and cons:
How to Choose the Best Convertible Stroller
When looking for a convertible stroller, think about how you use a stroller and what features would be most important to you.
Ask yourself these questions:
- How far apart in age are my kids, and how long will I need to use it for?
- Does it fold easily, and is it lightweight?
- Will I be in and out of the car a lot with this stroller?
- How many additional seats and accessories will I have to buy?
- Do I prefer my kids to be side-by-side?
- Will a convertible stroller save me money in the long run, or can I use my existing stroller?
What Features Should I Look For?
Once you’ve determined that a convertible stroller is the best choice for your family’s needs, look for the following features which many parents find useful:
|Large rear wheels|
|Car seat compatible|
|Ease of cleaning|
Are convertible strollers easy to assemble?
Because they’re multi-functional, convertible strollers necessarily have more parts than standard strollers. However, this doesn’t mean they’re hard to assemble. It just means you will have more parts to keep track of.
Many convertible strollers are designed with easy assembly in mind, so you shouldn’t find them more difficult to put together or use.
When assembling a convertible stroller, follow the manufacturers’ instructions to the letter. Make sure you only use car seats that are compatible with your stroller. Always use the correct adapters for infant seats, toddler seats, and car seats.
When purchasing stroller accessories, like rain covers or snack trays, it’s always safest to purchase items produced by the same brand as your stroller which will fit your stroller exactly.
Braille and Literacy, Product Reviews, Visual Impairment
Dana Meachen Rau's book, Sense of Play, follows the adventures of Chip and Joy as they play. Chip is blind, but this doesn't get in the way of their play!
Wondering whether white noise will help your little one sleep better? Here’s our guide to the best baby sound machines to help your baby fall asleep soundly.
Heard a lot about weighted blankets and lap pads and wondering how to choose one? Here’s our guide to the ins and outs of finding the right weighted blanket.