5 Best Nursing Carriers for Breastfeeding Moms of 2023
- A nursing career enables hands-free breastfeeding so you can get on with your day while feeding your baby.
- Babywearing is especially helpful to second (or more!) time moms because they can play with their older child, cook dinner, or read bedtime stories as their newborn feeds and naps in the carrier.
- There are lots of styles and brands of baby carriers available, so you’ll need to figure out which one suits your needs best.
Newborn babies feed a lot and for long chunks of time. If you sit down each time your baby breastfeeds, you might find you spend half of your maternity leave sitting on the sofa. Just to be clear, there is nothing wrong with spending half of your maternity leave sitting on the sofa—if you need rest, rest!
If, however, you have things you need to be doing, a baby carrier for breastfeeding could help you feed your baby while on the go. If you master breastfeeding with a baby carrier, you’ll be able to get things done while your baby feeds. You can play with your older child, wash the dishes, or go for a walk in the fresh air. The world’s your oyster.
There are so many nursing carriers to choose from, so make sure you pick one of the best baby carriers to keep you and your baby comfortable. Baby carriers let you keep your baby close without having to stop what you’re doing. A newborn baby is happiest snuggled up against their mother’s chest, so they can hear her heartbeat and smell her familiar smell. An infant carrier will let you keep your baby in their favorite place.
Top Pick: Boba Wrap Baby Carrier
- Essential Baby Carrier: Introducing the Boba Wrap, an indispensable baby must-have that serves as both a baby wrap and baby carrier. Perfect for your baby registry search, it accommodates newborns weighing as little as 7 lbs and grows with your child up to toddlers weighing up to 35 lbs.
- Certified Hip-Healthy Design: This baby wrap carrier, certified “Hip-Healthy” by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute, ensures the natural positioning of your little one. Ergonomic and suitable for infants to toddlers, it distributes weight evenly, providing relief to your back and shoulders.
- Versatile 4-Way Stretch Fabric: Crafted from 95% French terry cotton and 5% spandex, our baby wrap offers softness and support. As a baby wrap carrier newborn to toddler, it’s machine washable, dryer-proof, and a top choice for baby items must-haves on your baby registry.
- One-Size-Fits-All Comfort: Tailored to fit parents of all sizes, this baby carrier wrap is sag-resistant and durable, making it a plus-size baby carrier. Its customizable fit ensures comfort for both you and your baby, making it amust-have in newborn baby essentials.
The Boba Wrap is the best baby carrier during the fourth trimester when your baby wants to be in your arms as often as possible. The Boba Wrap allows you to keep your baby close while keeping your hands free for other things.
The Boba Wrap is essentially a long strip of fabric that you tie to hold your baby securely in place. Though baby slings like this may seem daunting at first, there are plenty of videos online that show you how to do this. The Boba comes with simple instructions to take the stress out of babywearing.
The Boba holds your baby securely against your body, allowing for ergonomic weight distribution so you can carry your newborn comfortably. The wrap provides knee-to-knee support for your little one, so you can trust they are held in an optimal position for their developing body.
This is a fantastic breastfeeding carrier because it gives flexibility, so you can find a comfortable feeding position for you and your baby. There’s no need to remove your baby from the sling to feed; you can simply shift them into position while babywearing. The Boba Wrap also allows you to feed discretely, as the fabric covers your body so you can feed on the go without worrying about what people can see.
Additionally, the Boba promotes bonding by keeping mom and baby together. You can use the wrap during skin-to-skin sessions with your baby; this will keep you both warm while allowing your baby to benefit from some skin-to-skin bonding time.
This wrap is stretchy and soft, so it holds your baby safely in place while keeping them comfortable. It’s made from 95% cotton with 5% spandex giving the wrap a lovely stretch. It’s also machine-washable, so you can easily deal with any spills or spit-ups.
The Boba Baby Wrap is available in a huge variety of colors and prints, so you’ll be able to find a wrap that matches your style. Choose from Serenity Rainforest, Bloom, Sangria and many more.
While this wrap is perfect for newborns and younger babies, it will become uncomfortable once your baby is stronger and heavier. As your baby starts to pull away from you and lean out of the sling, the stretchy wrap will likely not offer the support you need for a comfortable carry. For the fourth trimester, however, this wrap style baby carrier is the perfect breastfeeding carrier.
Another criticism of this style of wrap is that it can be warm on hot days. The wrap is essentially a strip of fabric that you wrap around yourself to create a safe carrier for your baby. Once tied, the wrap consists of a few extra layers of fabric, which can get stuffy on warm days.
Best Structured Carrier: Baby Tula
- STAY COOL MESH CARRIER PANEL: Large mesh panel provides extra ventilation for optimal breathability to keep wearer and baby cool.
- BREATHABLE & LIGHTWEIGHT MATERIAL: Soft and lightweight 100% cotton with a large breathable mesh panel and hood that’s easy to clean and machine washable.
- EVERY CARRY POSITION YOUR BABY WILL NEED, INCLUDING FACING OUT: Multiple positions to carry baby including front facing out*, facing in, and back carry. Each position provides a natural, ergonomic position best for comfortable carrying that promotes healthy hip and spine development for baby.
- NO BULK, INNOVATIVE BODY PANEL WITH AN EASY-TO-ADJUST DESIGN: Adjusts in three width settings to find a perfect fit as baby grows from newborn to early toddlerhood. Can be used from 7 – 45 pounds, no infant insert required.
The Baby Tula is a structured baby carrier suitable for babies from 7 lbs to 45 lbs. This versatile baby carrier for breastfeeding allows for multiple carry positions including forward-facing and back-carry. Each position keeps your baby’s spine and hips properly aligned. The padded leg openings ensure your baby is comfortable, while the adjustable neck support pillow provides the perfect place for a nap.
The Tula is available in a variety of stylish designs including Coast Beyond, Land Before Tula, and Urbanista. It’s also one of the best baby carriers for breastfeeding because you can easily adjust it while babywearing. Simply loosen the arm straps and waist strap to wriggle your baby into a comfortable position for feeding.
The large mesh panel allows airflow and ventilation to keep you and your baby cool. The padded shoulder straps ensure a comfortable fit for you. Since it can be adjusted easily, it’s a great structured baby carrier to share with your partner. Plus, the wide padded waistband evenly distributes your baby’s weight, so you can enjoy a comfortable carry.
The Tula is made from 100% cotton and offers three width settings, so you can find the perfect fit for your growing baby. The adjustable head support supports your baby’s head and ensures your baby will be comfortable during carrier naps. It’s also machine-washable, so you don’t have to worry about spills, breast milk stains, or sticky toddler hands.
Although the Tula is more expensive than some of the other best baby carriers on this list, it’s certainly worth the price tag. Unlike some other baby carriers, the Tula can be used long into toddlerhood, so you know you’ll get your money’s worth. The Tula is comfy even with a squirmy toddler, so it’s a carrier worth investing in.
Most Versatile: Hip Baby Wrap Ring Sling
- BREATHABLE AND LIGHTWEIGHT: We use 100% cotton in crafting this amazing woven, hand-loomed baby carrier. With its cotton breathable fabric, baby will feel comfortable while carried in this baby wrap. Our lightweight baby wearing wrap feature solid top quality aluminum ring sling. Perfect for baby weighing 8-35 pounds, use our baby sling carrier to calm infant and make them feel safe while carrying them close to your heart.The baby sling is also great for nursing on-the-go and as a nursing cover.
- EVERY WRAP IS UNIQUE: We offer baby carrier wraps that are fairly traded and individually handwoven in India. We use plant-based dyes to make each ring sling carrier beautiful and unique. Flaunt your personal style with our colorful, beautiful, and beneficial baby wrap carrier.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: Our Hip Baby Wrap is easy to manipulate. Our woven baby carrier has a superior ergonomic design, helping distribute baby’s weight evenly and comfortably across caregiver’s body, helping to relieve relieving the shoulders and neck from unnecessary strain. The baby sling carrier is easily adjustable to be used for front tummy to tummy and hip carries for infants through toddlers. It enhances parent-child bonding and child development.
- EASY CARE AND MAINTENANCE: Our cotton baby wraps carrier are easy to clean. Machine wash in cold water separately with natural laundry detergent, rinse thoroughly, and tumble dry low. Line dry to avoid shrinking. Expect the fabric to bleed extra dye from first few washes.
The Hip Baby Wrap Ring Sling baby carrier is a soft baby carrier made from 100% cotton. It comes in a variety of designs, though we love the Summer Rainbow ring sling colorway best of all. The hand-loomed woven ring sling baby wrap carrier is breathable and lightweight, so it’s perfect for carrying your newborn.
The high-quality aluminum ring holds the wrap securely in place, so you can carry your baby comfortably in this ring sling. Ring sling baby carriers are ideal for breastfeeding because you can use them to secure your baby in a comfortable position, thanks to the versatility of this style of carrier. Ring slings can be used for hip and tummy-to-tummy carries right through to toddlerhood.
This baby carrier for breastfeeding holds your baby close while evenly distributing their weight, so you can enjoy a comfortable carry. The aluminum ring also offers an easy way to tightly secure the hold, so you can relax and get on with things knowing your baby is safe.
Hip Baby Wrap Ring Slings are fairly traded and hand-woven in India. The plant-based dyes give a beautiful finish, so you can show off your individual style with these gorgeous wraps. These wraps can be machine washed in cold water and tumble dried, though they look divine on a washing line in the sun.
The main downside to this wrap is that it’s made from a woven fabric, which means it can feel warm in hot weather. You may need to dress light underneath the ring sling on particularly warm days.
Best Simple: Baby K’Tan Baby Wrap Carrier
- HANDS-FREE BABYWEARING: Keep newborns, preemies and infants close as you go about your day. Our design also supports easy breastfeeding on the go. Sizes may vary from regular sizes, check size chart.
- SIMPLE DESIGN: The Baby K’tan baby wrap is quick and easy to wear – no rings, belts, buckles or excess fabric. This infant carrier is the no-wrap wrap! Just slip the sling over your head like a t-shirt.
- COMPLETE COMFORT: Made from 100% cotton, our baby carrier allows even weight distribution, and the breathable fabric is soft against baby skin. Not bulky or frilly – ideal for both moms and dads.
- SAFE AND SECURE: Our infant holder’s unique double loop design and one way stretch hold your baby securely in place, and the wrap carrier’s natural seated position is Approved Hip Healthy by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute.
If you find the buckles, ties, and instructional videos of other baby carriers daunting, the Baby K’Tan is for you. The Baby K’Tan is one of the best baby wrap carriers available. It’s already wrapped, so you don’t need to worry about learning any complicated ties. This slip-on wrap is easy to use, comfortable to wear, and hassle-free. The Baby K’Tan is the best baby carrier for people who love simplicity.
The Baby K’Tan Carrier is available in a large variety of designs, including Floral Garden, Denim, and Navy stripe. The choice of prints and colors means you’ll be able to find one you love. The Baby K’Tan baby carrier for breastfeeding is available in a choice of sizes ranging from 2X-Small to X-Large, so you’ll be able to find a good fit for your body type.
K’Tans are baby carriers for breastfeeding that allow you to comfortably feed your baby while babywearing. The soft and supportive fabric holds your baby securely in place so you can breastfeed on the go.
With this no-wrap wrap, you get to enjoy all the benefits of a wrap without the hassle of learning how to wrap one. To wear, you simply pop it over your head like a t-shirt, and then you’re ready to place your baby carefully in the wrap carrier. It’s really fast to put on, so it’s the ideal baby carrier for when you’re on the go.
The Baby K’Tan’s natural seated position is Approved Hip Healthy by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute. The simple wrap evenly distributes your baby’s weight so you won’t have to worry about backache.
The wrap can be used from 8lbs up to 35lbs, so you’ll be able to use it for a long time. Some parents, however, find stretchy-style wraps don’t offer the necessary support for older babies and toddlers.
The t-shirt design means you need to get the right size wrap for you. If your partner is a different size from you, you won’t be able to share the wrap between you which could be a hassle on days out.
Best Budget: Ergobaby Omni 360 All-Position Baby Carrier
- All-in-one baby carrier: Adapts to your growing baby from newborn to toddler (7-45lbs and fits babies from 0-48 months): No separate infant insert required: All carry positions included: Face baby in or out: Wear on the hip or back
- Cool and breathable: Our cool Air Mesh collection baby carriers are made with soft and durable mesh fabric that provides our renowned ergonomic support for baby
- Comfort: Exceptional lower back comfort with padded lumbar support waist belt and extra padded shoulder straps with the option to wear 2 ways: Crossed or “backpack style”: Waist belt can be worn high or low to maximize comfort, especially post C-section
- Ergonomic as baby grows: Acknowledged as hip Healthy by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute: Adjustable bucket seat supports baby in an ergonomic natural “M”: Position in all carry positions
Ergobaby is a household name when it comes to baby carriers. With years of experience producing baby carriers for breastfeeding, it’s no wonder Ergobaby is one of the best baby carriers on the market. The Ergobaby Omni 360 is the best baby carrier if you want structure and support at an affordable price.
The Ergobaby Omni 360 is more affordable than some of the other structured baby carriers available, though just as good quality. Though it’s more expensive than the stretchy wraps on this list, it will last long into toddlerhood so you’ll be getting plenty of use out of it. This soft structured carrier is suitable from birth to around two years of age.
This carrier can be used in all carry positions; so your baby can snuggle against your chest, face the world, or sit comfortably on your back. The Ergobaby Omni 360 can even be used in a hip hold, making it a truly versatile product. It can also be used in a cross-carry, giving you even more options to find a position that works for you.
The breathable mesh on this baby carrier keeps you and your baby cool and stops you from getting sweaty. The padded shoulder straps and lumbar back support help you find a comfortable carry. The Ergobaby Omni 360 holds your baby’s hips in an optimum position, even when forward-facing.
The baby hood can shield your baby from the sun’s harmful rays, but can also be used as a breastfeeding cover during feeds.
The Ergobaby Omni 360 is machine-washable, so you don’t have to worry if it gets dirty.
Keep in mind that the Ergobaby Omni 360 is a bulky baby carrier, which you may find cumbersome if you’re taking it out for the day just in case. The bulk, however, is the padding, so it does serve a purpose.
How to Breastfeed in a Baby Carrier
If you can master the art of breastfeeding in a baby carrier, your life will be a little easier. While your baby feeds in the carrier, you can move around and use your arms, allowing you to get on with the things you want to do. It also means you can head out of the house without worrying about breastfeeding stops.
If you have a stretchy wrap, it’s usually pretty easy to jiggle your baby into position and help them latch on. You may need to loosen the wrap while you get your baby to the breast, and can tighten it again once they’ve latched on.
With a buckled carrier, you may need to loosen some of the straps to give your baby space to feed. It’s usually easier to free your nipple and then let your baby find their own way there than it is to try and do it for them.
Baby carriers for breastfeeding usually mention breastfeeding positions in their instructions. If you can’t figure out how to feed your baby in your carrier, a quick look online will through up plenty of instructional videos from moms wanting to make your life easier.
As with every other aspect of parenting, practice makes perfect and you’ll soon get the hang of breastfeeding on the go. It’s worth trying at home first until you’re confident in your technique, then you can enjoy the freedom that comes from nursing on the go.
The best adaptive strollers are designed to accommodate individuals with special needs, disabilities, or mobility challenges. Find our favorites here!
Whether you’re heading back to work or pumping exclusively, breast milk storage bags are a must-have for your supply. Check out our list of the best.
Many people assume breastfeeding and sleep training don’t go together, but it is possible to help your baby sleep better while continuing your breastfeeding journey.