9 Best Realistic, Lifelike Baby Dolls of 2023
- Realistic dolls are often called lifelike baby dolls or reborn dolls.
- Dolls that look realistic make imagination games of “family” or “house” more exciting.
- Parents can encourage and possibly extend their child’s playtime with realistic dolls by providing a variety of accessories.
When I was in elementary school, I saved up my allowance for a solid year. There was a toy I wanted more than anything, and to me, it was worth every penny. The toy I had my eye on was a realistic baby doll.
A baby doll might seem like an odd item to have to save for a solid year. This doll, however, was unlike your standard baby dolls on the shelves of Target. This was a doll so life-like that many thought I was carrying around an actual baby.
Realistic dolls are a popular item among children who love babies. They often come with unique features that make them look and feel just like a newborn. You’ll even find lifelike dolls that are hand-crafted and one-of-a-kind.
Not all baby dolls are of equal quality and value. Before you decide on a lifelike baby doll, take a look at this list of the best realistic baby dolls of 2023.
Our Choice: CHAREX Reborn Baby Dolls Lucy
- Baby Lucy is created by renowned artist, she has hand-rooted soft hair and adorable soft face with pretty blue eyes, flexible hands and feet with nails
- Measures approx 22 inches from head to toe, with a soft vinyl head, 3/4 limbs and weighted cloth body for a real baby feel
- Adopt Environmental friendly non-toxic material, conforms to the safety requirements of ASTM F963 and EN71 for ages 3+ kids
- Not only a toy, also can be your kids’ great partner and friend, accompany children to grow up, improve responsibility and feel more happy!
If you’re looking for the perfect doll for your little one to tote around, take a look at this pick. The CHAREX Reborn Baby Dolls Lucy has everything you’d want in a realistic doll.
Lucy really looks like a real-life baby. With her blue, hand-set eyes and her long eyelashes, she’s just too cute. She also has sweet chubby cheeks you’ll want to kiss.
The body is weighted which is one of the qualities that make reborn dolls so realistic. This keeps the doll from feeling like a cheap cloth or plastic doll. However, I wish they would have weighted her arms and legs as well.
This doll comes with a bottle, pacifier, birth certificate, and clothing set. You can stock up on 0–3 months clothing, so your child has wardrobe options for their new baby.
Her arms and legs are made with soft vinyl. She also has intricate details like realistic nails on her hands and feet. I appreciate that her eyes aren’t shut so your child can do more than pretend she is sleeping.
Children aren’t the only ones who will enjoy playing with Lucy. She’s fun for the parents and grandparents of little ones, too.
JC Toys – La Newborn Nursery
- 14″ LAYETTE BABY DOLL & ACCESSORY GIFT SET // Perfect for dress up fun, includes diaper, diaper cover, bodysuit, t-shirt, booties, hat and two customizable hospital bracelets for baby and parent.
- POSEABLE ARMS, LEGS AND HEAD // Jointed at the shoulders, hips, and neck so you can rotate the legs and arms when adding and removing doll’s clothing. She is 14″ long and weights approx. 1lb 5oz.
- SAFETY TESTED AND APPROVED // Made from non-scented, BPA free, safety tested vinyl. Soft & smooth to the touch yet durable for years. Water friendly too!
- TEACHES CHILDREN NURTURING SKILLS // Her washable and posable body promotes holding, cuddling and special care. She is the perfect size for children to hug and love.
If you’re looking for a baby doll to help your children transition as a new baby arrives, this is for you. The JC Toys – La Newborn Nursery is the perfect gift for a big brother or sister.
I originally ordered this doll for my 2-year-old, who will soon be promoted to big sister. However, I quickly found my older girls asking for a turn to hold her. We all love how adorable this realistic baby is.
You might expect this baby doll to be light like most plastic dolls. We were surprised to feel that she had a little weight to her. It’s enough weight to feel more realistic without being too heavy.
Her little face looks just like a newborn and her painted hair is light brown. My daughter loved all the accessories she came with, including a diaper, outfit, and birth certificate. My favorites were the hospital bracelets for mommy and baby.
The only drawback is the baby isn’t flexible. She stays in a slightly curled-up position and her legs don’t stretch out. This doesn’t seem to bother my children but is worth mentioning.
For the price, this realistic baby doll is a definite win. I’ll be recommending this to expecting moms in the future.
JIZHI Lifelike Reborn Baby Doll – 0–3 Months with Feeding Kit & Gift Box
- Give Her Heartwarming Care: Shh, your sweetheart is drifted off to dreamland dreaming of her first days in this new world. Now, you can gently cradle her in your arms and enjoy your warm time with her heartwarming expressions.
- So Lively & Adorable Baby: Hand-painted hair, wispy eyelashes and tiny half-moon shape fingernails & toenails bring her to life. She has real-looking baby face features and slightly open mouth that fits her thumb, making her dynamic and appealing. Her body is so soft to feel just like a real baby in your arms when you cradle her.
- She Is a Newborn-Baby: This adorable baby is 17 inches head to toe and fully poseable with a soft cloth body and hand-painted hair. You can dress her up with newborn-size or preemie size clothes & diapers.
- Friendly Playmate: This Reborn Baby Doll conforms to the safety requirements of ASTM F963 and CPC for ages 3+. Totally safe for your kid.
Who doesn’t love to hold a sleeping baby? The JIZHI Lifelike 0–3 Months Reborn Baby Doll with Feeding Kit & Gift Box is one of the sweetest little sleeping reborn dolls.
One of my favorite features about this baby doll is her extended thumb that fits in her mouth. She looks so realistic when lying on her back sucking her thumb. Her body is soft and moveable, allowing you to pose her to sleep on her tummy or side.
As a plus, her hair is painted on which means you won’t have to worry about detangling a messy wig. Her eyes stay shut with wispy eyelashes and her hand-painted limbs even have feature light veins. The attention to detail is remarkable.
The body of the doll is not weighted. This might work well for younger children, but older children may feel like she’s not as realistic. Some parents also noticed that the body seemed overstuffed.
This doll does come with an outfit, bottle, magnetic pacifier, birth certificate, and gift box. If you want to purchase more outfits, you can buy premie or newborn clothes.
CHAREX Realistic Reborn Baby Doll Boy 18-inch Toddler
- This reborn baby boy is skillfully crafted by world renowned artist, 18 inches from his head to toe and is the perfect size for cuddling.
- He is created with soft vinyl material ( 3/4 arms and 3/4 legs) and a huggable weighted cloth body for that wonderful lifelike feel.
- This lovely baby has brown hair, handset brown eyes, hand-applied long eyelashes, blushing on his hands and feet and hand-painted lips, fingernails and toes.
- He comes with a blue hoodie vest, a gray shirt with dinosaur print, strap pants, giraffe gift, magnetic pacifier, feeding bottle and birth certificate!
While most reborn baby dolls are newborns, my next pick is an older baby doll. The CHAREX Realistic Reborn Baby Dolls Boy 18 inch Toddler is a beautiful brown-haired toddler your child will love.
Toddler baby dolls are perfect for children who like to play with older baby dolls. This little man weighs around 3 pounds and is 18 inches long. It’s nice that he’s not too large for younger children to hold.
I love his dinosaur outfit which includes a hoodie jacket. He’ll also fit into 0–3 months clothes if you want to purchase additional outfits. With soft, vinyl limbs he’ll be easy to dress.
This baby doll makes a great gift since it comes with so many accessories. Your child will also have a magnetic pacifier, bottle, and birth certificate in the gift box. I appreciate that they thought to make the pacifier magnetic because many baby doll pacifiers don’t stay put.
The only drawback to reborn dolls like this with realistic, soft hair is the upkeep. You might have to invest in a special brush for doll hair to keep it from getting tangled.
Ecore Fun 10-inch Newborn Reborn Baby Doll
- Size: 10 inch newborn baby doll with cute sunflower jumpsuit and hat. Perfect size for 1-8 years old kid.
- Realistic Baby Doll: Pink lovely mouth, hand applied eyes & eylashes, flexible sunflower painted clothes, hand painted fingertips & toe. Looks truly realistic, Newborn lifelike from her delicate face down to her tiny feet.
- Premium quality: Made from non-scented and washable vinyl, soft and smooth. Wipe it down with a damp cloth if doll gets dirty. The doll clothes also can be washed by washing machine or hand, it will turn almost as good as new.
- An ideal gift: Perfect as a Xmas gift, Birthday gift, New Year gift, party favor and other holiday gift for your kids. Helpful to create a world of fun, imagination and creativity for all children.
Reborn dolls can be expensive. Maybe you’re looking for a budget-friendly starter doll instead. The Ecore Fun 10 Inch Newborn Reborn Baby Doll is a great choice.
This doll may not be as realistic as some of the more expensive dolls, but there is still plenty of attention to detail. This sleeping baby has beautiful lashes to add a more real-life touch. You’ll also find hand-painted arms and legs with details on the fingernails and toenails.
Though this baby does not come with extra accessories, it does include a cute sunflower outfit. If the doll and outfit get dirty, you can either hand wash or machine wash them. This makes cleaning the doll much easier than other realistic babies.
The body is firm and the doll’s back is very flat. This is not a floppy baby your child will be able to pose. However, for the price, it’s still a fantastic choice for a beginner’s reborn doll.
HOOMAI Lifelike Reborn Baby Dolls with Soft Body African American
- Reborn baby is 22.8 inches/58cm from head to toe,with soft weighted body for a real baby feel,kids can hand her to everywhere.Baby doll can fit into newborn size(0-3months) baby clothes.
- Reborn baby has a realistic looking.Hand applied blue eyes,handmade beautiful black rooted hair.the arms and legs could be moved and poseable.Real looking expression will make your kids feel like playing
- The baby dolls is a great choice for kids’ birthday present,Christmas gift,preschool and home activity,role playing and nuturing play. The reborn doll is also a good choice for granma’s accompany and collectors collection.
- The doll’s head, arms and legs are expertly constructed from silicone vinyl ，conforms to the safety requirements of ASTM F963 and EN71 for ages 3+,which is safe to your children.
This dark-haired and dark-skinned beauty is a must-see. The HOOMAI Lifelike Reborn Baby Dolls with Soft Body African American has a head of beautiful curls waiting to be styled.
My girls love to style their doll’s hair. We have a special brush we purchased for dolls’ hair that makes it easy to brush through. With the right styling tools, this doll has great potential for hairstyling fun.
Your child will enjoy all the accessories this baby doll comes with. This includes a bottle, a magnetic pacifier, an extra outfit, and even jewelry. She fits in size 0–3 months clothing.
One thing that I found interesting was the realistic expression on her face. She looks like she’s getting ready to talk to you. Her beautiful eyes and eyelashes add another element of realism.
This doll is pricier than the other dolls I’ve listed, but she might be worth the extra cost. If you have a little one who loves styling hair, they’ll enjoy this doll.
Kaydora 18-inch Silicone Real Toddler Girl
- Enjoy the warm embrace from our girl toy. She is 18-inch girl doll with weighted cloth body reborn girl. Her movable limbs allow you to put baby doll in many poses, making her look like a real reborn doll
- All the painted parts of this Girl gift toy are hand-painted. The eyelashes and brown hair are also handset. Her smooth skin and stunning details will surprise you how real she is as a girl gift doll
- She is a very good companion for children, parents to be, and elderly people living alone, even for Alzheimer’s patients. You can also encourage your children to use their imagination to dress this 3+ old reborn up, which can also exercise their hands-on ability
- SAFETY CERTIFICATION – Conforms or exceeds the safety requirements of ASTM F963 and EN71 for ages 3+, which is safe for your children
Since I included a boy toddler doll on my list, I thought it was only fair to include a girl toddler doll as well. The Kaydora 18 inch Silicone Real Toddler Girl is just as adorable as the toddler boy. They look like they could be siblings.
This baby doll comes with a sleeveless hoodie, onesie outfit, giraffe toy, bottle, magnetic pacifier, hair accessories, and shoes and socks. This is one set that will provide hours of entertainment. It even includes a gift box in case you’re buying for a special occasion.
The body is made with a soft material and is weighted, but only around 3 pounds. Your child will be able to bounce her, rock her, or push her in a stroller without trouble. She’s also very flexible and ready to pose.
Her sweet little eyes are brown and include eyelashes. Since her eyes are open, your child won’t be limited on play options. Her lips are a soft pink and are slightly opened, making them perfect for a pacifier or bottle.
As I’ve mentioned before, realistic hair like hers might be hard to manage. I recommend buying a doll wig hairbrush to make the job easier.
JC Toys – La Newborn Anatomically Correct Real Boy Baby Doll
- 15″ ANATOMICALLY CORRECT REAL BLUE BABY DOLL // Includes baby doll dressed in a hand sewn knit outfit, a matching hat and booties, soft blanket with a baby bottle and pacifier.
- POSEABLE ARMS, LEGS AND HEAD // Jointed at the shoulders, hips, and neck so you can rotate the legs and arms when adding and removing doll’s clothing.
- SAFETY TESTED AND APPROVED // Made in Spain from non-scented, BPA free, safety tested vinyl. Soft & smooth to the touch yet durable for years. Water friendly too!
- INTRICATELY DETAILED // Thanks to the award-winning creativity of the team at Designed by Berenguer, this doll has life-like dimples, folds and wrinkles.
When teaching children about girl and boy differences, using a doll is a great way to start the conversation. The JC Toys – La Newborn Anatomically Correct Real Boy Baby Doll has realistic “boy parts” that will prepare your child for a boy sibling or just educate them on differences. This company also sells a girl version of this doll with anatomically correct parts.
We have a household full of females here, but if a little brother were coming along, I’d be purchasing the boy version of this doll. When you add a sibling of a different gender, you’ll likely get a lot of questions. You can prepare your child or normalize the difference between girls and boys by having dolls with anatomically correct parts.
This doll also looks like a real baby with his soft skin that features dimples and wrinkles. He also has shiny blue eyes and pink lips that are parted open. The included bottle and pacifier fit perfectly in his mouth.
His body isn’t soft or weighted, so parents will want to know that this isn’t a poseable doll. His limbs do move, however. You just won’t have as many options for play as you would with a cloth, weighted doll.
Aori Lifelike Reborn Girl Doll with Bunny Toy
- Safety Comes First -When it comes to your little one’s happiness, there’s no room for compromise. This realistic baby doll is made with premium quality, highly durable soft vinyl, a special material which is 100% safe, skin-friendly, this doll’s head and limbs comply with ASTM F963 and EN71 safety requirements，easy to clean and guaranteed to withstand the test of time!
- Hand-painted with Love – Prepare to be blown away by this baby doll’s realistic details. The life-like baby dolls are made with soft vinyl .The lips and the fingernails were painted by hand, while the eyelashes were manually implanted.She has a full set of hair and it is higher quality than the usual mohair.The little hands and feet have a light blushing, too.
- Gorgeous Life-Like Design – She is a realistic baby figure with a cute face and a huggable body .This baby doll accessories set includes a 22-inch tall ultra-realistic design ,she weights nearly 4 pounds,the weighted body adds to her lifelike characteristics.Moveable hands lets you put it in sitting and lying position with ease. The little hands and feet have a light blushing, too.She can fit in regular newborn size clothes.
- Desighed to Delight – Make playtime more fun and interesting with this lifelike baby doll. Would you like to make sure your toddler enjoys an interactive and educational playtime experience! This reborn baby is the perfect choice!She is a doll your child will play with for years to come.
Little baby dolls are fun to dress up. If you have a child who loves girly dresses, they’ll love the Aori Lifelike Reborn Girl Doll with Bunny Toy.
This doll looks like she’s ready for a tea party. She comes dressed in a pink and white, lacy dress with pink booties. You’ll also get a pink cardigan with flowers, bloomers, and hair accessories to add to the dress.
Her hair is beautiful and blonde but will require careful care and brushing. It adds such character to her sweet face with blue eyes. I think it’s worth the extra effort.
Some parents noted that the body felt overstuffed. She also weighs nearly 4 pounds which is more than other weighted dolls. If your child is older, this shouldn’t be an issue.
The soft vinyl limbs and cloth body make her easy to pose. From cradle to stroller to highchair, this baby doll is ready for any play experience.
After purchasing a realistic baby doll, you’ll likely want some accessories to go with it. Pretend-play with a baby doll is more fun when you have a variety of accessories to include. Here are a few of my favorite baby doll accessories:
Benefits of Realistic Baby Dolls for Children
Realistic dolls aren’t just for fun. They have benefits that extend beyond play.
What are realistic baby dolls called?
You’ll find realistic baby dolls under several different names. They are often called lifelike baby dolls, reborn dolls, or realistic baby dolls. They all refer to baby dolls that look more like a baby than your typical plastic or cloth dolls.
What’s the best age for children to play with a realistic baby doll?
Kids of all ages can enjoy realistic baby dolls. My two-year-old and eleven-year-old both play with the lifelike baby doll from my childhood.
If you’re buying a realistic baby doll for a younger child, you might want to keep it in a safe place so it doesn’t wear down. I keep mine in a special box and bring it out occasionally for the girls to play with. Once children are old enough to take special care of the doll, you can leave it out for play.
Do realistic baby dolls promote learning in kids?
Pretend play is always a fantastic way for children to learn. Through pretend play, children explore social interactions, roles, cause and effect, and more. Realistic baby dolls are the perfect toy for your child to advance through the stages of play with.
I often find my two-year-old imitating me as she cares for her baby doll. As she mimics me, she’s learning empathy and caretaking skills that will help her all through her life.
Can baby dolls help toddlers prepare for a sibling?
Absolutely! I am expecting my 5th child soon and bought my daughter a new doll to prepare her for her sister’s arrival. I’ve done this with all of my children as we’ve added siblings.
To help your child adjust to a new sibling, have them sit next to you with their doll while you tend to the baby.
Ask questions about their baby doll related to what you’re doing, such as, “Can you change your baby’s diaper too,” “Is your baby hungry as well,” or “Do you want to get your baby into pajamas now?” This will keep them from feeling isolated and shift their focus to caring for their own baby.
How to Pick the Best Realistic Baby Doll for Your Child
Shopping for a lifelike baby doll includes a lot of research and searching. You can limit your search and quickly find the best baby doll for your child by looking for these features:
Some reborn dolls have normal plastic bodies that feel light and cheap. I think the weighted body makes all the difference. When you pick up a baby doll that feels heavy, it instantly seems more realistic.
I’ve noticed that all my children play with weighted baby dolls more than soft, light dolls. Even just a slightly weighted doll will make a difference.
My children prefer dolls with flexible arms and legs that can move around. This allows them to use the doll in a variety of ways. If the arms and legs at least move at the joints, it’s still better than no movement.
One feature most parents don’t think about is the quality and maintenance of the doll’s hair. If the hair is painted on, it doesn’t require any maintenance. Dolls with wigs will require more work.
Thankfully you can purchase doll hair kits with spray and special brushes to help. Just be sure to check the review of the doll to see what other parents have to say about the hair quality.
Doll accessories can always be purchased separately. However, finding a doll with accessories included will give you more for your money. It will also ensure that the accessories fit your child’s doll.
How should realistic baby dolls be cleaned?
Lifelike baby dolls should only be cleaned with a wet rag and soapy water. Don’t try throwing reborn dolls in the washer, as the machine would be too rough on the materials.
Why do children tend to enjoy playing with realistic baby dolls?
Children enjoy playing with baby dolls because it gives them the opportunity to role-play. Dolls that look real make imagination games of “family” or “house” more exciting. Children often enjoy the comments from adults on how realistic their baby looks.
How can you encourage and extend doll play in kids?
Kids will often create their own games with dolls. However, parents can encourage and possibly extend their play time by providing a variety of accessories. Providing items like extra clothes, bottles, diapers, a crib, etc, will give your child more ideas.
Braille and Literacy, Product Reviews, Visual Impairment
Dana Meachen Rau's book, Sense of Play, follows the adventures of Chip and Joy as they play. Chip is blind, but this doesn't get in the way of their play!
Wondering whether white noise will help your little one sleep better? Here’s our guide to the best baby sound machines to help your baby fall asleep soundly.
Heard a lot about weighted blankets and lap pads and wondering how to choose one? Here’s our guide to the ins and outs of finding the right weighted blanket.