By Hillary Kleck
Summer is coming to an end after all the water play, picnics and outdoor fun. Next, a cool, crisp Autumn is in store along with a ton of sensory activities to enjoy. The leaves will be changing, costumes created, and we’ll be giving thanks before we know it. First though, let us celebrate September and all the apples it brings us!
No doubt your Pinterest feed is already filled with apple pie recipes, Fall bucket lists, and back to school book lists. It can be hard to find all the titles in formats that are accessible to our kids with visual impairments, whether it be audio, large print or braille. Below, we’ve gathered 20 books about apples that kids are sure to enjoy this Fall season! Try pairing a book with a sensory activity such as a trip to the apple orchard or baking an apple pie!
Bookshare is an accessible online library for people with print disabilities. Kids with visual impairments can qualify for a free membership, then access books online or via other compatible reading tools. If you’re not familiar with the service, then be sure to check out our article about the experiences with Bookshare of two fellow moms, Literacy Made Accessible! Finding Free Braille & Audio Books through Bookshare, or watch the video below for a quick demo on how to use the Bookshare app Read2Go on your iPad:
Apple Themed Books to Celebrate Fall
- Aaron Loves Apples and Pumpkins by P.D. Eastman.
- The Apple Orchard Riddle by G. Brian Karas Margaret McNamara.
- Ten Apples Up on Top! by Dr. Seuss. Also available in hardcopy braille book format from BrailleBookstore.com and Beulah Reimer Legacy.
- Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3 by Bill Martin Jr. and Michael Sampson. Also available in hardcopy braille book format from BrailleBookstore.com.
- Apples by Gail Gibbons.
- From Apple Trees to Cider, Please! by Felicia Sanzari Chernesky and Julia Patton.
- The Seasons of Arnold’s Apple Tree by Gail Gibbons.
- Picking Apples and Pumpkins (Clifford the Big Red Dog) by Liz Mills.
- Amelia Bedelia’s First Apple Pie by Herman Parish and Lynne Avril.
- Apple Picking Time by Michele B. Slawson.
- Max & Mo Go Apple Picking by Brian Floca and Patricia Lakin.
- Apple Picking by Irma Singer.
- Fluffy Goes Apple Picking by Kate McMullan.
- Apple Countdown by Joan Holub and Jan Smith. Also available in hardcopy braille book format from Beulah Reimer Legacy.
- Apples and Pumpkins by Anne Rockwell.
- The Apple Bandit (Nancy Drew Notebooks #68) by Carolyne Keene, Michael Frost, and Jan Naimo Jones.
- Autumn is for Apples by Michelle Knudsen and Denise Fernando.
- Apples Here! by Will Hubbell.
- Johnny Appleseed: My Story by David L. Harrison and Mike Wohnoutka. Also available in hardcopy braille book format from Seedlings Braille Books for Children.
- Ready, Freddy! #20: Apple Orchard Race by Abby Klein and John McKinley. Also available in hardcopy braille book format from Seedlings Braille Books for Children.
Do you have any favorite apple book titles to list? Let us know by leaving a comment below!