The 7 Best Baby Carriers for Dads of 2023
- Baby carrying isn’t just a mom’s game anymore!
- There are several positive impacts of dads baby wearing.
- Consider elements like material and comfort features before purchasing.
- Babies need to be worn differently based on age to avoid hip issues.
When you’re planning for a baby, there’s always a core list of baby gear that needs to make the cut, and a solid baby carrier is definitely on that list. They allow parents to keep the baby close while also having their hands free to do other tasks. While it’s common to see moms baby wear, dads aren’t far behind as more “manly” options hit the market.
These soft structured carriers are now manufactured in dark and solid colors, male-friendly patterns, and adjustability to fit dad’s stature. There’s no shortage of options! If you’re looking to narrow it down, find the best baby carrier for dad on the list below.
Our Choice: Infantino Carry-On Carrier
- Design: Breathable carrier with adjustable ergonomic seat, shoulder straps and waist belt to shift weight to the wearers hips for a more comfortable fit with 6 integrated pockets for parent essentials
- Wearing positions: Convertible facing-in and facing-out design for newborns and older babies, weighing between 8-40 pounds
- Benefits and use: Experience hands-free convenience with opportunities for bonding and developmental benefits, whether it’s running errands or exploring parks, there’s no place like close
- Adjustability: Adjustable 2-position seat, padded shoulder straps and supportive waist belt, designed to fit a wide range of body types and lifestyles
Speaking from experience, the Infantino Carry-On Carrier is a winner in the dad community. Both my husband and I have used this carrier for two kids so far. My husband did most of the carrying, and it’s still good as new—all credit to its quality and durable material.
The shoulder straps are padded and comfortable for dad, while the two seat positions offer both a wide and narrow option depending on the baby’s size and preference. Did I mention it’s got six integrated pockets throughout? We loved that for the simple fact that even when we were wearing the baby, we could easily reach and store a number of things.
We can both attest to the fact that it’s not particularly breathable since it’s got a panel of fabric that lays between you and the baby. We also live in a climate that’s hot year-round, though, so that could contribute to it. While it does have lots of buckles, I didn’t see that as a huge issue. If anything, it made everything feel more secure.
Best for Home Use: Lalabu Dad Shirt Baby Carrier
- The original kangaroo shirt for dads. A comfortable, discreet, easy-to-use baby carrier for men. No tying or wrapping. Looks like a normal, v-neck tee when not in use.
- Ideal for bonding. Once inside the pocket sling, your baby will be calmed by dad’s heartbeat, body rhythms and scent.
- Built in headrest that extends the length of the back panel and also provides shade and additional support.
- Supports newborns up to 15 lbs. Lightweight. Machine washable. One of your must have baby essentials. Made with a 2-way stretch polyester, rayon, spandex blend for maximum stretch and fabric return.
For a unique take on a baby carrier for dad, look no further than the Lalabu Dad Shirt Baby Carrier. It’s the perfect dad carrier for home use, especially as the carrier is literally built into a men’s shirt. It’s a discreet design with a single pouch in the front, just stretchy enough to put your baby in while also keeping them nice and snug.
One of the best parts of this baby carrier for dads is that it promotes bonding. It keeps your baby pressed against the body, allowing them to hear Dad’s heartbeat and smell his scent. Without straps and such, it’s also a hip-healthy option for babies, not forcing their legs into unnatural positions for prolonged periods.
The biggest downside to this baby carrier is that it’s got a low limit on the baby’s weight, only holding up to 15 pounds. It’s more of a newborn carrier for sure. Also, the material could be a bit softer rather than a more slick, stretchy material.
Best Durability: TBG Mens Tactical Baby Carrier
- Built to Last – Crafted from high-end materials, including 600D tactical polyester and premium hardware. MOLLE-compatible baby carrier designed for customization with pouches and carabiners.
- Lightweight, Minimalist Design – Simplistic, secure cross-strap design distributes weight evenly, reducing strain and making it easy to wear a diaper bag with the carrier. Open back design minimizes heat discomfort when worn for long periods.
- Essential Accessories – Interior cushioned with cotton padded, machine washable liner. Also comes with an included shade for sun protection when baby faces towards wearer. When baby is facing out, use the machine washable bib to protect carrier from spit up.
- Grows with Baby – Easy to adjust UTX buckles for babies and toddlers 8 to 33 pounds. Baby can face in or out depending on developmental stage. Your baby must face you until he or she is 6 months old as recommended by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute.
A piece of baby gear for the tactically inclined, the TBG Mens Tactical Baby Carrier gives men a baby carrier that looks manly right off the bat. Reminiscent of military gear both in looks and feel, it’s constructed of 600D tactical polyester so you can count on it to be long-lasting.
It’s also got several removable features, both of which can be washed. One is a bib that attaches to the carrier, used when the baby is facing forward. The other is an interior liner which can be used in any of the carry positions. The cross strap and adjustability ensure that all weight is evenly distributed too!
The main concern with this carrier is the comfort of the material. It’s without doubt a solid material, but that doesn’t lend itself to softness. For some babies, it may be too rough on their skin.
Best Breathability: BabyBjorn Baby Carrier Mini
- Perfect first carrier for newborns
- Adjustable seat and head support for continual ergonomic support as your baby grows
- Cozy and flexible fabrics designed to comfort your baby.If you have a baby carrier in 3D mesh, do not use fabric softener since it will impair the quality of the fabric
- Ultra soft, lightweight, and machine-washable fabrics
If your husband is anything like mine, he’s got to have breathability in the things he wears. The BabyBjorn Baby Carrier Mini hits the nail on the head with this! It’s made of a 3D mesh material that’s airy and provides a comfortable temperature for dad and baby. The compact design also limits hot material and feels less bulky overall.
This carrier provides two options for head support which is crucial for the newborn age. It’s also easy to put on and take off without help, making it a convenient choice when you don’t have a partner around to help. Dad can also choose from a series of masculine color options that’ll fit every aesthetic.
You won’t be able to use this carrier through toddlerhood, though, as it only carries babies up to 12 months old. It could also use some work with regard to comfort level, particularly in the shoulder straps, which need more padding.
Best Sizing: Ergobaby Omni 360 Baby Carrier
- All-in-one baby carrier: Adapts to your growing baby from newborn to toddler (7-45lbs and fits babies from 0-48 months): No separate infant insert required: All carry positions included: Face baby in or out: Wear on the hip or back
- Cool and breathable: Our cool Air Mesh collection baby carriers are made with soft and durable mesh fabric that provides our renowned ergonomic support for baby
- Comfort: Exceptional lower back comfort with padded lumbar support waist belt and extra padded shoulder straps with the option to wear 2 ways: Crossed or “backpack style”: Waist belt can be worn high or low to maximize comfort, especially post C-section
- Ergonomic as baby grows: Acknowledged as hip Healthy by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute: Adjustable bucket seat supports baby in an ergonomic natural “M”: Position in all carry positions
One concern for parents when selecting a carrier is whether or not it has the ability to properly fit each of them. That can be a tough find if your statures and weights are drastically different. Luckily, the Ergobaby Omni 360 Baby Carrier kept this in mind in the design process. It fits most sizes from extra small through extra, extra large!
The waistbelt is also expandable up to 55 inches which is extremely generous, so this carrier is sure to fit any size dad! There is padded lumbar support for long-term carrying, making it one of the best carriers for back pain. It’s even got a hip hold option for Dad. Also, you don’t need a separate infant insert, even though it’s suitable for newborns to toddlers!
While this carrier does have padded straps, they’re pretty bulky, which can be uncomfortable if Dad’s got a smaller shoulder frame. It’s also not the most compact choice to bring along in the stroller or during travel.
Best Carrier Set: Papa Lils Baby Carrier for Dad
- Sturdy and Well Made Design: Papa Lils diaper bag for dad can be worn in 3 ways: backpack only, with baby carrier attached, and baby chest carrier alone. This large diaper bag has spacious main compartment, expandable pockets and two outer side bottle holders. Military baby carrier with durable YKK zippers to carry all essentials you need for a day out with your baby
- Designed for Travel Convenience: Daddy’s on the move can experience hands free and secured with this baby front carrier. This water resistant baby holder carrier meets all the safety requirements for a toddler carrier. Best Baby Gifts that is Suitable for babies of 8-33 lbs. Bottom support baby’s thighs. It has padded straps, removable waist strap and grip handle for extra comfort in use
- Ultimate Father’s Day Gift: Papa Lils front facing baby carrier for Dads comes with a premium quality travel changing pad that can easily be accessed from the men’s diaper bag when you’re on the go. Give your baby a safe place to relax on as you roll up your sleeves and clean their tushies! Mens baby carrier is the ultimate daddy diaper bags for men. A great Baby Shower Gifts
- Environment Friendly: Included in this baby carrier toddler a reusable dirty diaper dump pouch MOLLE. It is designed to conceal diaper odors on this diaper bag. Easy to clean and machine washable. By using this reusable bag we are saving money and helping reduce single-use garbage bag problem at the same time. Our military designed baby gear is indeed the most efficient diaper bag for men.
Similar to other tactical carriers, the Papa Lils Baby Carrier for Dad takes things to the next level offering their carrier in a set. This set comes with a changing pad, diaper backpack, and baby carrier, which attaches to the backpack!
The water-resistant material is ideal for any climate and adventure, plus the fabric is lightweight to keep dad and baby cool. With a removable waist belt for more flexibility and a pattern that’s on trend for all dads, you can bet that any man would be happy to use this carrier.
It’s worth noting that this carrier is best used for older babies as the seat may be too loose for a newborn or infant. There’s also a bit of a learning curve when it comes to putting it on, but it’s nothing a little practice can’t solve.
Material: Polyester | Maximum Weight Recommendation: 33 pounds | Dimensions: 21.93 x 15.51 x 8.35 inches
View on Amazon
Best Backpack Carrier: Chicco Smart Support Backpack Carrier
- Padded, height-adjustable seat with 5-point harness
- Lightweight aluminum frame. Product Assembled Dimensions: 16.8″ W x 18.0″ D x 30.7″ H Product Folded Dimensions: 16.8″ W x 7.8″ D x 34.5″ H Product Weight: 6.7 lbs. Carton Dimensions: 16.5″ x 6.9″ x 22.8″ Carton Ship Weight: 7.2 lbs.
- Padded, vented lumbar support
- Adjustable, padded shoulder and waist straps
While most normal baby carriers can double as a backpack carrier, the Chicco Smart Support Backpack Carrier takes things up a notch. Built on an aluminum frame, its sturdy seat is height adjustable to three positions. It’s also got an extendable canopy to protect your little one from overhead shade.
Padded shoulder straps and waist straps help create a comfortable carrying experience for dads, as does the vented lumbar padding. When the carrier’s frame is unfolded, it can be set on the ground and used as a regular chair for babies too!
A few elements to consider before purchasing include the child’s weight. Since this carrier is more of a solid seat, it can’t be used until your baby reaches at least 17 pounds. Also, while the canopy does extend, it’s not quite as overreaching as you’d expect.
Dads Can Baby Wear Too!
Some dads may be apprehensive at the idea of baby-wearing, but the truth is it’s not just good for the baby; it’s good for dads too! The act of baby-wearing gives dads a closeness they may not usually get if they’re outside of the home most of the day. It’s an incredible bonding exercise.
Speaking of exercise, that’s a component of baby-wearing too!
Dads may not realize this at first, but baby-wearing is arguably good for their health as they’re carrying around more weight than usual. Even the simplest of tasks like a walk up the steps pushes you harder than without that extra weight, not to mention the extra use of muscles used to support the weight and the movements you do while wearing it.
Another major component dads may overlook is the impact their babywearing can have on moms. When dads do the heavy lifting (literally), that gives moms a much-needed break.
There’s really no reason dads shouldn’t grab one of the best baby carriers for dads. It’s safe to say they can not only wear babies too but that it has major, positive impacts on the family as a whole.
How to Choose the Right Baby Carrier for Dad
Every one of these baby carriers offers something unique, so how do you choose the right one for the dad in your family? Here are a few guidelines to ensure the carrier that’s purchased fits the needs of the dad wearing it.
- Material: Some baby carriers are thicker than others, and some are made of breathable materials like mesh. Consider if Dad runs hot or cold before choosing a career.
- Weight Limit: Each carrier will have its own specifications on the baby’s weight. If Dad wants long-term use, choose one that’s specified as a toddler carrier.
- Comfort Features: Is the waist belt removable? Does it have extra padded shoulder straps? What about lumbar support? All features to keep an eye out for.
- Style Options: Dads can choose from a variety of style options now, whether they prefer a compact, solid carrier or a bigger, tactically patterned one.
- Ease of Use: Can the baby carrier be put on easily? Does it have a ton of straps and buckles? Can dad load the baby in alone, or will he need help?
Are there any differences between a baby carrier for moms and dads?
There are many baby carriers built with just dads in mind, taking into consideration their stature and style. Even so, most baby carriers can be used by both mom and dad. They come in so many designs, colors, and adjustability levels that they’re able to meet the needs of both parents. My husband and I were able to share one comfortably!
How should babies be positioned in a baby carrier to prevent hip problems?
Some parents may worry about using a baby carrier after hearing of the risk of hip problems. Luckily, the International Hip Dysplasia Institute offers parents some reassurance that when used correctly, they’re safe. They say to keep your baby facing in for the first six months of life, then they’re able to face outward.
How will I know it’s time to take a break from wearing a baby in a carrier?
There’s no official timeframe for how long you can wear a baby. It’s really up to the comfort level of both dad and baby. Do keep in mind it’s important you don’t push yourself if you begin feeling tired or uncomfortable. It’s not safe for you or your baby if things start feeling too heavy.
Braille and Literacy, Product Reviews, Visual Impairment
Dana Meachen Rau's book, Sense of Play, follows the adventures of Chip and Joy as they play. Chip is blind, but this doesn't get in the way of their play!
Wondering whether white noise will help your little one sleep better? Here’s our guide to the best baby sound machines to help your baby fall asleep soundly.
Heard a lot about weighted blankets and lap pads and wondering how to choose one? Here’s our guide to the ins and outs of finding the right weighted blanket.