The 5 Best Double Strollers for Travel of 2023
- Double strollers make for seamless travel with little ones.
- Consider a travel bag, organizer, cupholder, and hooks as accessories.
- There are six reasons that packing a double stroller is worth it for travel.
- There are specific elements to look for in a double stroller for travel.
- Keep in mind double strollers have different weight capacities.
There are plenty of must-haves for traveling with multiple kids, and a double stroller easily makes that list. Acting as a comfortable place to sit, nap, eat, and play, it’s really a one-stop shop for all of your baby’s needs. I can tell you from experience it’s a lifesaver when travel already tends to throw little ones off their schedules.
If you’re not entirely convinced you need a double stroller for travel, I’m certain the recommendations and information below are about to change that! Stick around and find out everything from recommended accessories to real reasons this is a worthy travel investment. Let’s start by finding the best double stroller for travel for your family!
Our Choice: Kolcraft Cloud Plus Lightweight Double Stroller
- Ultra Lightweight: Travel-friendly design (only 23 lbs) is perfect for traveling. The width fully assembled is 31 inches which allows this stroller to easily roll through most standard doorways
- Large Sun Canopy: Three-tier, extended canopy for maximum sun protection and coverage. A peek-a-boo window so you can easily check on your little one while on the go
- Reclining Seat: Reclining seat offers 5-point safety restraint system and accommodates child to 40 pounds per seat. (80 lbs total) Seat does not recline completely flat. Seat Width – 12.5 Inch
- Extra Storage: Include one parent tray with two drink holders, removable child trays with dual cup and juice box holder. Two large and easy to access storage basket holds all baby’s necessities
A double stroller with every convenience you’d need for travel, the Kolcraft Cloud Plus Lightweight Double Stroller has covered all the bases. It’s lightweight, coming in at just 23 pounds. With double three-tiered canopies, you can adjust the level of sun exposure while also keeping an eye on your little ones from the peek-a-boo window above.
Reclining seats provide a level of customization, and the removable child’s trays are perfect for holding snacks and drinks on the go. Parents don’t go forgotten with a tray above coupled with two drink holders. Last, the two large storage baskets ensure you’ve got room for all of your baby’s necessities and even some of your own!
There are a few elements to consider with this double stroller that might not be pleasing, depending on your family’s needs. While it does recline some, it’s not a full recline. Also, the wheels are smaller, so it’s not ideal if you intend to use the stroller in mostly non-paved environments.
Material: Polyester | Maximum Weight Recommendation: 80 pounds | Item Weight: 23 pounds
View on Amazon | View on Walmart.com | View on Kolcraft.com
Best Sit and Stand: Joovy Caboose Too Sit and Stand Double Stroller
- REACH BENCH AND STANDING PLATFORM so the tandem stroller gives your big kid the freedom they deserve. Kids can sit, stand, or stroll whenever the mood takes them
- UNIVERSAL CAR SEAT ADAPTER for when a new kid comes along, you don’t need to upgrade your stroller
- 3-WAY RECLINING SEATS for naps and babies. Your little ones can lay back in this infant and toddler stroller and enjoy naptime thanks to the Caboose’s three reclining positions
- 90LB WEIGHT CAPACITY, giving you the flexibility to carry two big kids without strain. Incredibly, this sit and stand stroller is still small enough to fit in most trunks
For a travel stroller that gives your little ones options, the Joovy Caboose Too Sit and Stand Double Stroller will definitely satisfy them. Keep two normal seats or offer a bench seat or the standing platform in the back for a change of pace. You’re also able to use it alongside a car seat as it’s got a universal car seat adapter.
The three reclining positions give your children the comfort they need for rest and naps, while the four-wheel suspension keeps the ride nice and smooth to prevent waking. Easy-tap breaks also provide an extra level of security.
It’s worth noting that the storage basket is a bit smaller than desired, though, especially if the backseat is being used in the regular seat style. This stroller is also heavier than many others on this list.
Material: Aluminum, Polyester | Maximum Weight Recommendation: 90 pounds | Item Weight: 27.5 pounds
View on Amazon | View on Walmart.com | View on Target.com
Best Material: Jeep Destination Ultralight Double Stroller
- RECOMMENDED USE: Each seat holds up to 40 pounds (80 pounds total). Canopies feature pop out SPF 50 sun visors to shield little ones. Peak a boo windows allow you to keep an eye on your children. Swivel bars make it easy to get children in and out
- LIGHTWEIGHT: This stroller features an aluminum frame. Weighs 28.66 pounds. Storage bin provides plenty of room for toys, snacks, etc. Double stroller features 1680D fabric that is durable and water resistant
- SIZE: Assembled dimensions (in inches): 29.5 (width), 36.2 (depth), 41.7 (height). Folded dimensions: 29.5 (width), 30 (depth), 13.4 (height). Easy/compact standing fold, foam handles and carry strap for easy storing or traveling. Quick release wheels
- SMOOTH RIDE: 7 inch swivel lock front wheels (unlock for easy maneuverability; lock for added stability on bumpy surfaces). 10 inch back wheels with suspension for a smooth, comfortable ride. One step back break lock. Fits through standard 30 inch doorways
A stroller with the kind of material built to last, the Jeep Destination Ultralight Double Stroller is one that’ll hold up against regular use. Made with strong 1680D fabric, you can count on durability; its water resistance is just an added bonus! Canopies with SPF 50 sun protection offer maximum protection as well.
Your little ones can rest easy, too, not just by reclining but through the adjustable footrest options. Swivel seat bars give your children something to grip and contain them as well. Added details like the reflective shoulder pads and five-point harnesses offer more safety for peace of mind.
Despite it all, there are a few flaws, one being the lack of cup holders both for the children and parents. Also, the wheels begin to squeak after a bit, which can be fixed if it bothers you.
Material: Aluminum, Plastic | Maximum Weight Recommendation: 80 pounds | Item Weight: 28.7 pounds
View on Amazon | View on Walmart.com | View on Target.com
Best Weight Capacity: Summer Infant 3Dlite Double Stroller
- Lightweight: a lightweight stroller makes outings with two little ones a little easier! The 3Dlite double’s durable aluminum frame weighs under 22 pounds and it offers a large seat area, plus Anti-shock front wheels and lockable rear wheels.
- For travel and everyday: whether you’re traveling, or running errands close to home, a lightweight, compact stroller is a must! With this double stroller for toddlers, you’ll have both an everyday and travel stroller option.
- Individual reclining seats: keep your kiddos comfortable and safe at all times in this double umbrella stroller with side by side seats. It HAS separate adjustable recline on each seat for comfort, as well as 5-point safety harnesses.
- Compact fold: the easy compact fold with carry handle and auto lock makes it simple to store this stroller stroller and bring it on the go! Plus, the dual adjustable and removable canopies with flip-out sun visors are perfect for sunny days.
Some double strollers, despite the two seats, don’t have high weight capacities. That’s not the case with the Summer Infant 3Dlite Double Stroller, as it can hold 50 pounds per seat and an additional 20 pounds total in the storage baskets. Speaking of storage, it’s not only got two large baskets but also two pockets on the back with a cup holder too.
This double umbrella stroller has a compact design when it’s folded, so you can move it from point A to point B with ease, which will be easy to do since it’s the lightest double stroller on the list, and its total weight is under 22 pounds. It’s also got a carry handle to boot!
Though this double stroller does have a parent cup holder on the back, it’s soft and moves around a lot which causes spills. The canopies are also quite small and don’t offer a wide range of sun protection.
Material: Aluminum, Polyester | Maximum Weight Recommendation: 50 pounds | Item Weight: 21 pounds
View on Amazon | View on Sears.com | View on eBay.com
Best Jogger: Baby Trend Expedition Double Jogger
- Multi-position reclining seats are independently adjustable to keep each child comfortable
- Five-point safety harnesses ensure a safe trip. Maximum Height: 42 inches. To clean use only mild household soap or detergent and warm water on a sponge or clean cloth
- Ratcheting canopy shields your little ones from the elements, while the peekaboo window allows you to keep an eye on each child with ease
- Generously sized storage baskets accommodate bigger items. Recommended Use: 6 m – 50 lbs (each child)
For parents that like to take a jog or need a solid all-terrain stroller, the Baby Trend Expedition Double Jogger will get the job done. While the wheels are large, they’re super lightweight. The front wheel also locks, which is perfect for stabilized and safe jogs. It’s because of all of this that your kids are guaranteed a smooth ride.
Parents can keep all the essentials close by, too, with a covered storage compartment for safekeeping and two cup holders as well. The easy, quick fold and release will also allow you to get to and from without delays.
While it’s great for adventures, it does have room for improvement, specifically with the canopy window. While it does allow you to see your little one through the top, it has a flap that you have to pull open if you want to see through; it’s also fastened with velcro, which can be loud if your little one is sleeping. Another thing to note is that there’s also no lock when it’s folded.
Material: Plastic, Polyester | Maximum Weight Recommendation: 50 pounds | Item Weight: 32.2 pounds
View on Amazon | View on Walmart.com | View on Target.com
Some strollers will come with these accessories, and some won’t, but for the best travel experience with your double stroller, it doesn’t hurt to have them all!
- Travel Bag: A stroller travel bag is a great accessory to have, especially if you’re flying. The bag fits your entire folded stroller inside a durable and sometimes padded bag—a must-have for protecting your stroller!
- Organizer: If the travel stroller you’ve chosen doesn’t have a tray for parents on the handle, no big deal. There are plenty of stroller organizers that get the job done with room to put drinks, keys, phones, and the like.
- Cupholder: Again, if you like a particular double stroller but it doesn’t come with a cupholder, that can be remedied. You can get ones that hang or even clamp to any part of the stroller handle. Speaking from experience, they work very well!
- Hooks: If you’re traveling, chances are you’ll be toting around a diaper bag and maybe even some bags from purchases throughout your journey. Stroller hooks allow you to hang your bags off the stroller with ease so you can walk hands-free.
Reasons Why Double Strollers for Travel Are Worth It
If you’re still considering whether or not it’s worth it to bring a double stroller when you travel, I don’t blame you. When you travel with kids, it seems like you have to pack the entire house just to get by, and even the best double strollers just add to it!
Even so, the reasons below are sure to convince you that it’s well worth the initial hassle.
- Keep your hands free: Traveling will often involve some extended periods of walking, and nothing kills a parent’s arms and back like lugging babies on the hip during those times. Keep your hands (and hips) free with your stroller!
- Naps on the go: If your little ones are pretty routine with naps, a stroller allows you a comfortable place for them to lie without having to stop between plans. Many strollers feature different levels of reclining, which is helpful for this reason.
- Weather protection: Sometimes, the weather can be unpredictable, no matter where you travel. A stroller can help mitigate some of the unpleasantness for your children; whether it be sun or rain, its canopy and side panels will help.
- Storage out and about: A stroller usually has some type of storage one way or the other. You can use its pockets or baskets to store your children’s things or shopping bags you may collect along the way.
- Doubles as a highchair: Unfortunately, not all restaurants offer high chairs, which can be a real downer for parents. Strollers can fill the gap here as it’s a safe, comfy place they can eat right beside your table.
- Keep a faster pace: Maybe it’s just my children, but goodness, they can walk really slow when they want to. If you’re running late for a tour or just trying to get to and from places quickly, you can navigate your little ones fast in a double stroller.
What to Look for in a Double Stroller for Travel
Not all the elements below are must-haves for a double stroller, but they stand to make your travel experiences with your little ones much easier. Keep these features in mind as you’re narrowing down your purchase to ensure you’ve got everything that fits your family’s needs.
- Fold: The way your double stroller folds down will directly affect how compact it is and, thus, how easy it is to travel with. That said, look for compact double strollers, investigating how they fold down both in relation to size and ease of use.
- Storage: It’s critical to have some storage available when you’re traveling, especially with little ones in tow that usually require more necessities on hand. Definitely look for a double stroller with sizable baskets and pockets.
- Trays: Similar to the convenience of storage, having trays when you travel is just as nice. A large tray up top for the parents can hold all their stuff, and individual trays for each child give them a spot for their snacks, drinks, and toys too.
- Weight: It’s imperative to pick a double stroller that’s not too heavy when you travel. That can be a bit of a feat when double strollers naturally come heavier since it’s got two seats. Luckily, there are many lightweight double strollers.
- Comfort: Your children’s comfort is an element that cannot go overlooked since they’re the ones riding in it. Look for padded seats, cool fabrics, canopies, and adjustable harnesses.
- Convertibility: While not a requirement, if you do a lot of traveling and plan to continue expanding your family, ensuring your double stroller has convertibility for infant car seats is a plus. Many double tandem strollers have awesome convertibility, offering different seated positions, standing options, and even adaptation for two infant car seats.
How much weight can a double stroller hold?
There’s no general designated weight for how much a double stroller can hold. It’ll vary from stroller to stroller, but you’ll find that it’s estimated by weight per seat, not overall weight. While there’s no exact number across the board, you’ll usually find that each seat will hold between 25 to 50 pounds.
Can you bring a double stroller on an airplane?
Most parents are under the impression that strollers can only be checked as luggage, not brought on the plane, but this isn’t the case. Lightweight strollers that can collapse into a diameter of 10 inches and a length of no more than 36 inches can be placed in overhead storage.
Despite that fact, you’re unlikely to find a double stroller that will meet those requirements as they’ll naturally collapse into a far greater diameter than the above requirements. That said, you’ll have to consider the costs of checking your double stroller with your baggage or bringing a single stroller.
Is there a double travel stroller that can be used as a single stroller when needed?
Yes, double strollers can be used as single strollers. This takes on two forms, the first being obvious, which is leaving the second seat empty and just using it for storage. The second is investing in a convertible stroller system which is quite different from the classic double strollers we’ve looked at above.
Convertible strollers generally come in the classic seating style, one in front of the other, as opposed to side-by-side seating. They’ll come with several adapters that allow you to make your stroller a single or double seat, offering a conversion for car seats too.
How long can you use a travel double stroller?
Depending on the double stroller, you should be able to use your stroller from birth to three years old. As we discussed before, though, each double stroller will come with its own weight limitations. It’s because of this that the term of use may vary. Once your child outgrows the weight limit per seat, you should no longer use it for safety reasons.
How long can my children sit in a stroller at a time?
It can be tempting to let your children stay in their stroller for long periods of time, especially when you’re traveling; it’s more convenient to push them than try to get them to keep up. Even so, you should be sure your kids aren’t staying in their strollers for longer than an hour at a time, not just for their safety but their development too.
The 4 Best Pull-Ups with Velcro Sides of 2023
Pull-ups with velcro sides make potty training easy! We’ve done the research and found the best ones for your little one.
11 Organic Snacks Kids (and Parents) Will Love!
There are lots of snacks you can feel good about giving your kids. Start with this solid selection of organic snacks for kids (and parents) to get you started!
The 5 Best Teething Mittens of 2023
Looking for the best teething mittens for your baby? Here are our top picks, which are sure to delight your little one and soothe their sore gums!