- Teach your blind child about the world through direct interaction! This is called "concept development" and through hands on learning they can learn about textures, sizes, nature... all sorts of things!
- Ever thought about making a tactile matching game? This is a great activity for blind children. All you need is a collection of cleaned plastic snack cups and a few items to glue inside them and you've got a fun matching game that can be played with or without sight!
- It can be hard to find appropriate and accessible activities for your visually impaired child in the summer. Here are 36 ideas to help you start planning your summer break!
- Looking for a project that's sticky, messy, crunchy, soft and scented all in one? Making baked cotton balls is such an easy activity plus it's great fun for a rainy afternoon. Children with visual impairments will especially appreciate how tactile this project is.
- Here's an easy activity that is fun and great for fine motor development and tactile discrimination: fill balloons with different textures and squeeze and squish them to see what's inside! This is an especially fun project for kids with visual impairments!
- Learn how to make an activity center for children with visual impairments. Using general hardware materials (like cardboard or peg-board) and other household items (like toys or kitchen utensils) you can create a sensory space for your child. We have ideas for big spaces and little spaces!
- Blind children encounter water in different forms all day long and we need to help them understand that while each experience is different they all involve the same concept: Water. Without vision helping to connect these experiences, our kids might be confused about how all these things (the water in the bath to the wet kiss from the dog) fit together.
- Reduce the stress of the weekly errands by helping your child strengthen their sensory response through occupational therapy. The OT Mom, of the Sense-Able Baby website, suggests providing calming sensory input when the environment becomes overwhelming.