5 Best Non-Toxic, Organic Bassinets of 2023
- Non-toxic bassinets and bassinet mattresses are a healthier choice for your newborn baby’s sleeping space.
- Many products have green certifications to let you know what their components are made of and what toxins they have been tested for.
- While no bassinet is 100% non-toxic or organic, you can find safer and healthier products to use in your baby’s home sleeping environment.
While that bassinet may look adorable and have the right color scheme for your nursery, it may also have been made with chemicals, solvents, plastics, flame retardants, and synthetics like polyurethane foam you wouldn’t want anywhere near your baby.
Choosing the right sleeping space for your newborn means not just finding a bassinet that’s the right size and price but also one that has as few chemical and toxic components as possible.
Newborns sleep so much that choosing their sleeping space is one of your most important baby gear decisions. The best organic bassinets protect your child from harmful chemicals.
No bassinets currently on the market can claim to be 100% non-toxic. However, we’ve found the best non-toxic, organic bassinets of 2023 that come pretty close and are safer with fewer chemical emissions than other brands.
Best Overall: Babyletto Yuzu Convertible All-Stages Bassinet
- GROWS AT THEIR PACE & ADAPTS TO YOUR SPACE: Transitions from bassinet (29.75”x19.75”x30.75”) to transitional midi size (37.5”x29.75”x30.75”) and to standard full-size crib & junior bed. Suitable from newborn to 5 y/o
- ALL-STAGES 8-IN-1 CONVERTIBILITY: 8 conversions across 3 unique sizes to fit your family & home: bassinet, midi crib, midi toddler bed, midi daybed, full-size crib, full toddler bed, full daybed, and junior bed
- PORTABLE & ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT: Yuzu glides easily from room to room on removable locking caster wheels in each stage. For safe co-sleeping, adjust between four height options in the bassinet and midi stages, and three heights for the full-size crib
- WHAT’S INCLUDED: Everything but the full-size mattress! Purchase includes all hardware and parts needed to convert to any and all stages, plus a 1” bassinet pad & custom 2” midi pad (note: not standard mini crib size)
Before the price of the Babyletto Yuzu Convertible All-Stages Bassinet puts you off, just read a little further to find out about all the things this incredible little bassinet can do long after the newborn stage.
The Babyletto Yuzu starts as a small bassinet to keep in your room near your bed for the newborn months. It has removable wheels for portability from room to room.
As your baby outgrows the bassinet, the Babyletto transforms into a small “midi-crib,” which is still small enough to keep in your room but large enough to keep your baby safe as they start to roll and push up.
When you’re ready for the baby to sleep in their own bed in their own room, it becomes a full-size crib. Finally, it transforms for a junior bed for your big kid with the help of a conversion kit.
This is also among the best bassinets for its non-toxic credentials since it’s Greenguard Gold Certified, made of sustainable wood, and finished with non-toxic paint.
Babyletto also makes Green Guard Gold Certified waterproof mattresses to fit their products, so you can be sure your baby sleeps on a mattress without toxic chemicals.
Best for Room Sharing: Halo BassiNest
- From your trusted brand leader in safe sleep, our award-winning HALO BassiNest is beloved by parents and nurses for its safety, comfort, and convenience. Our HALO BassiNest is the only bassinet with a 360º swivel to keep your newborn close allowing for essential bonding.
- Designed with mothers in mind, the patented lowering bedside wall makes it easier to care for baby from bed, especially for breastfeeding and C-section moms.
- Soothing sounds and gentle vibrations create a peaceful environment for your little one to rest safely and comfortably at your side. Includes amber nightlight, amber floorlight, two levels of vibration, and four soothing sounds: heartbeat, white noise, babbling brook, and rainforest (all with auto-shutoff)
- Two convenient storage pockets keeps baby’s necessities within reach. Now, your little one can rest safely and comfortably at your side. Also includes a waterproof mattress and one machine-washable fitted sheet.
The Halo Bassinest Swivel Sleeper is popular among parents because of its 360-degree swivel. It allows you to bring the bassinet as close as possible to your bed and lower it so you can be close to your baby in the same room without bed-sharing.
Its adjustability makes it an excellent choice for breastfeeding moms and mothers recovering from c-sections. In addition, the Halo bassinet structure has breathable mesh sides, so it has good airflow and is a safe sleeping option for a newborn.
- 100% BREATHABLE – DreamWeave core and quilted cover are fully breathable. Maximum airflow helps keeps newborns safer and at comfortable temperature.
- FITS HALO BASSINEST – Use with the HALO BassiNest Swivel, Glide or Flex Sleeper.
- 100% WASHABLE – Cover is machine washable. Core can be rinsed in the shower.
- HYPOALLERGENIC – No foam, glue, latex or springs. GREENGUARD GOLD certified.
While the bassinet itself is not green-certified or non-toxic, you can buy a Halo DreamWeave Breathable Mesh BassiNest Mattress Pad. Parents often buy a mattress topper or thicker mattress for their bassinets anyway, as the mattresses included are usually thin.
The Halo DreamWeave mattress pad is Greenguard Gold Certified, hypoallergenic, and has no glue, latex, foam, or springs. It’s also machine washable, so you can keep the sleeping surface hygienic.
Top off the non-toxic mattress pad with some Halo BassiNest Fitted Sheets. These are made of supersoft, 100% organic cotton with no dyes, softeners or finishes.
So, while the Halo BassiNest itself is not totally non-toxic, the parts of the bed that are closest to your sleeping baby, like the mattress pad and sheets, can be added to make it a good option.
- Our 100% organically cotton sheet is designed to perfectly fit the hourglass-shaped mattress on Halo Bassinest swivel sleepers and Bassinest glide sleeper
- Includes 1 100% certified organically-grown cotton sheet that is free of dyes, softeners and finishes. Dimensions 30 inches (L) x 17.5 inches (W)
- Fitted sheet slips over entire mattress pad so it’s secure while baby sleeps
- Breathable and lightweight design keeps baby ultra-comfy
Best Standard Bassinet: BabyBjorn Cradle
- Lulls your baby to sleep with relaxing, gentle rocking movement
- JPMA Certified Product with low height and transparent mesh fabrics allowing for secure supervision of your baby
- Easy to move around the house so you can always have your child close to you day and night
- Soft, breathable and airy sides and simple design with no bars or loose parts to trap tiny hands or feet
The BabyBjorn Cradle is a favorite of parents because it’s stylish, lightweight, and easy to move. This freestanding bassinet has a gentle rocking motion to help soothe your little one. In addition, breathable mesh sides promote good air circulation.
While it is not entirely non-toxic because the fabric and padding are polyester and it has MDF components, it has been tested for harmful chemicals and meets the OEKO-TEX Standard 100. Products with that standard have been tested for 350 harmful chemicals.
The fabric sides are machine washable, which is a plus. Its low height means you can have it close to your bed and have your baby at arm’s reach. The transparent sides also allow you to see your baby for reassurance.
While not every component of the BabyBjorn Cradle is non-toxic, it has met rigorous testing for the most harmful chemicals. It is a good baby-safe option overall for a healthier bassinet.
Best Bassinet Alternative: DaVinci Dylan Folding Portable 3-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: This product has undergone rigorous scientific testing for over 10,000 chemical emissions and VOCs. It contributes to cleaner indoor air, creating a healthier environment for your baby to sleep, play, and grow
- GROWS WITH BABY: Four adjustable mattress positions to lower as baby begins to sit and stand. From rolling bassinet to stationary mini crib, this product also easily folds and converts to a twin bed (twin-size conversion kit No.M5789 sold separately)
- SPACE EFFICIENT: A mini crib is a great alternative for smaller spaces or to store at grandparents’ house. It’s also a great alternative to a bassinet or pack n’ play for co-sleeping with baby. Fold up your crib or move it around as you please.
- FOR YOUR BABY’S SAFETY: Say goodbye to toxic chemicals. Finished in a non-toxic multi-step painting process and lead and phthalate safe
The DaVinci Dylan Folding Portable 3-in-1 Convertible Mini Crib may be a good portable bassinet alternative if you have a bit more space to work with and you’re looking for a product that can grow with your child.
This is one of the most non-toxic options on our list. Both the structure and mattress are Greenguard Gold Certified, meaning they’ve been tested for over 10,000 harmful chemicals and volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
The structure is made of sustainable New Zealand pine wood and finished in safe, non-toxic paint.
The included mattress is equally Greenguard Gold Certified, waterproof, firm, and comfortable. It has four adjustable mattress heights for use from newborn through to toddler. It can then convert to a twin bed when your child reaches that stage.
Unlike a regular baby bassinet, you won’t be able to reach into it as easily from your bedside, which may be a consideration for breastfeeding and c-section moms.
DaVinci does make a bassinet, the DaVinci Archie Bassinet. However, parents find the mattress for the bassinet option very thin.
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: This product has been tested for over 10,000 chemicals and passes the most stringent emission standards. It contributes to cleaner indoor air, creating a healthier environment for your baby to sleep, play and grow
- CONVENIENT TO USE: Removable wheels allow you to easily roll the bassinet from room to room, so you can keep baby nearby. Additional shelf provides storage space so you can keep diapers, wipes and other essentials ready to go
- QUALITY MATERIAL: Made of solid sustainable New Zealand pinewood and TSCA compliant engineered wood -only the best for your baby
- FOR YOUR BABY’S SAFETY: Say goodbye to toxic chemicals! Finished in a non-toxic multi-step painting process and lead and phthalate safe
Unfortunately, DaVinci doesn’t make a Greenguard Gold Certified deluxe mattress for the Archie Bassinet. As a result, parents have found alternative mattresses hard to source.
So, for longevity, non-toxic credentials, and stylish sleeping space for your baby, the DaVinci convertible mini-crib may be a good, chemical free alternative to a bassinet.
BreathableBaby Breathable Mesh Portable Sleeper
- COOL COMFORT FOR BABIES UP TO 6 MONTHS: Keeps precious little ones close by and enables room sharing while giving them their own dedicated sleep space; surrounds them with breathable mesh with A.C.T. air channel technology to maximize airflow.
- SPACIOUS YET COMPACT & PORTABLE: With a 22” x 37.5” x 17” (55.9 x 95.3 x 43.2 cm) sleep space, that’s over 30% more than a typical bassinet. Simply fold and move around the house for nap time, store when not in use, or take on-the-go to the grandparents!
- NON-TOXIC & ECO-FRIENDLY: Finished with non-toxic paint that’s free of lead, phthalates, and formaldehyde. And made from sustainable New Zealand pine and composite compliant with the California Air Resources Board (CARB) mission to improve air quality.
- SAFETY TESTED & GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: Tested by third party accredited labs to meet or exceed applicable safety standards. Greenguard Gold certified to be free of over 10,000 chemicals and VOCs that are commonly known to pollute indoor air.
If you’re looking for a simple sleeping solution for your newborn baby that’s portable, easy to store, breathable and non-toxic, look no further than the BreathableBaby Breathable Mesh Portable Sleeper.
This super simple, foldable bassinet surrounds your baby in a breathable, transparent mesh cradle. It provides excellent airflow and a safe place for a restful night’s sleep for your baby. It’s a lightweight and portable bassinet, so you can always keep your baby close no matter where you are.
In addition, this is one of the best non-toxic bassinets on the market. It’s Greenguard Gold Certified, made of sustainable pine, and has a non-toxic finish.
If you can’t find a fully organic bassinet or a non-toxic bassinet that checks all the boxes, you can add organic and non-toxic products to make your baby’s sleeping environment as healthy as possible.
- CERTIFIED ORGANIC: We hold ourselves to the highest standard when sourcing and manufacturing the materials we use for our crib mattresses. Our mattresses are proudly made in the USA using high-quality Certified Organic Cotton – the purest ingredient for babies to sleep on.
- 100% BREATHABLE: With each layer of the Organic Dream crib mattress, we’ve ensured that this firm but soft sleep pad is 100% breathable. This offers ongoing airflow, which is proven to reduce the risk of suffocation. Peace of mind for parents; babies sleep easy.
- 100% HYPOALLERGENIC: All of our mattresses are made entirely from Hypoallergenic materials to promote safe and healthy skin and breathing for babies. From core to cover we have selected natural marterials that are free from harsh chemicals. All of our mattresses come with a washable cover.
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: Each of our mattresses has been tested for over 10,000 chemicals and passed, achieving the world’s highest clean indoor air accredidation GreenGuard GOLD Certified. Babies sleep on the freshest, cleanest, and most hypoallergenic organic cotton.
Organic bassinet mattress covers, like this one from American Baby Company, are also an option.
- Top layer made with Organic Cotton interlock; Middle layer/Back layer made with waterproof breathable polyester
- Measures 15″ X 33″ X 4″
- Fits up to 2 inch thick mattress with elastic all around for a snug and secure fit
- SOFT PROTECTION: Our Waterproof pads not only protect the mattress, they offer soft quilted cushion for added comfort.
Always make sure that the mattress and mattress cover you purchase fit your bassinet perfectly, with no gaps or movement, to reduce the risk of SIDS.
- Burt’s Bees Baby – Fitted bassinet Sheet – Solid color, 2-pack
- Bee snug 360, premium elastic with extra stretch provides a safer, snugger Fit
- Extra fabric overlap on bottom edge, along with 360 elastic prevents sheets from creeping up on the mattress, so you and your baby can rest easy
- 100% organic, GOTS certified, breathable cotton – The purest layer for baby’s thin and porous skin
Remember, to reduce the risk of SIDS, always use fitted sheets that are the right size for your mattress, with no loose fabric or gaping. Sheets should also not change the shape of the mattress in any way.
Why Should You Use a Non-toxic, Organic Bassinet?
Babies sleep so mauch as their little bodies and brains develop. A non-toxic, organic bassinet is the best choice for their sleeping space to protect them from exposure to chemicals and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) found in most furniture and mattresses.
Do I need a bassinet?
Your first question might be whether you need a bassinet at all. Can’t your baby just sleep in a crib?
While your newborn can sleep in a crib, many parents find a bassinet easier to use and more convenient for room-sharing than a traditional crib in the first few months, especially if they need to use a bassinet in a small space.
Bassinets are smaller, lighter, and can be moved from room to room. As a result, they’re generally easier for mothers recovering from birth and c-section to maneuver.
For safe sleeping and reducing the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), the American Academy of Pediatrics’ safe sleep guidelines recommend:
- That you do not co-sleep or share a bed with your baby.
- That your baby has a crib, bassinet, playard, or other approved, safe, separate sleeping space.
- That your share a room with your baby for at least the first six months.
While most babies will outgrow the bassinet between four and six months, many parents still find it the easiest option for room sharing with their newborn baby.
What makes a bassinet non-toxic and safe?
Unfortunately, at the moment, there are no 100% chemical free or non-toxic bassinets on the market. Even the best non-toxic bassinets all have components that will have at least some chemical emissions.
However, many baby products have reduced the most harmful chemical flame retardants and other toxic substances. Some brands are better for your baby’s health than others.
A truly non-toxic bassinet is one in which the mattress and the frame are made without components like foam, glue, flame retardant, toxic chemicals like formaldehyde, and harmful plastics or petroleum by-products like polyurethane.
These artificial materials release toxic gases and fumes after the furniture is made. Therefore, a bassinet with as few of these chemicals as possible is ideal.
Look for bassinet frames made of wood or bamboo that have not been treated with chemicals. Also, look for mattresses made with natural materials and fibers like organic cotton, wool, or linen.
Tips When Buying a Non-toxic Bassinet for Your Baby
What should you look for when on the hunt for one of the best non-toxic bassinets? Take a look at this checklist of the most important features to consider.
Look for these certifications when purchasing a bassinet or mattress:
|Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS)|
|Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS)|
|Greenguard and Greenguard Gold|
|OEKO-TEX Standard 100|
In addition to green certification, look for the following in your bassinet choice:
Look for bassinets with breathable or mesh sides to promote air circulation around your baby and reduce the risk of SIDS.
Mesh sides also allow you to see your baby while they sleep, which many parents find reassuring.
One of the advantages of a bassinet compared to a crib is that it can be moved from room to room easily so that you can keep an eye on your sleeping baby wherever you are in your home.
Look for bassinets with wheels that lock.
Ease of Use
When your baby frequently wakes at night to feed in the early months, it is important to have an easy-to-use bassinet for caregivers. In addition, it should be at a comfortable height.
Mothers recovering from birth or surgery should also have a bassinet that makes bending and lifting as easy as possible.
When is a baby too big for a bassinet?
Every bassinet will have age and weight recommendations which you should check before use.
However, regardless of your child’s size or weight, you should move them to a larger crib once they start to roll or push up on their hands or knees.
Once your baby is mobile in this way, it is no longer safe for them to sleep in a bassinet. In addition, most babies are out of a bassinet before six months.
What’s the difference between a bassinet, Moses basket, and a mini-crib?
A bassinet is a smaller bed specifically for newborns, which they can use until they are mobile or between 4-6 months.
Bassinets are often lightweight and portable, with fabric or breathable mesh sides. They are usually on a stand and may also have wheels.
A Moses basket is a traditional newborn bed that has been used for thousands of years. Moses baskets are often made of woven wicker or similar natural fabrics and materials.
They usually do not have a stand, but they have handles so you can carry your baby from room to room.
A mini-crib is a smaller version of a traditional crib with bars on four sides. They often have a mattress with adjustable height, so it can be lowered for safety as your baby grows.
Mini-cribs may also have wheels for portability. If you buy an additional conversion kit, many mini-cribs are also convertible into larger cribs or beds.
Braille and Literacy, Product Reviews, Visual Impairment
Dana Meachen Rau's book, Sense of Play, follows the adventures of Chip and Joy as they play. Chip is blind, but this doesn't get in the way of their play!
Wondering whether white noise will help your little one sleep better? Here’s our guide to the best baby sound machines to help your baby fall asleep soundly.
Heard a lot about weighted blankets and lap pads and wondering how to choose one? Here’s our guide to the ins and outs of finding the right weighted blanket.